Pharaoh of Flame

Pathfinders: The Road to El Dorado

I craned my neck to observe the sandstone statues, my eyes examining their vague facial features and adamant postures, hands clasped in laps and backs pressed against harshly sculpted thrones. Between them was a wide, gaping entrance, through which I could see nothing but pure darkness. I shuddered, the images of what could possibly await inside spilling into my mind, flooding out any other thoughts.

Kris paced up to the entrance, his head almost knocking against the top of the frame. ‘We’ve checked the other tombs. It has to be this one or else we’re going to need to break into the tombs that aren’t open to the public.’

‘I’m up for anything as long as it doesn’t end with me in jail’, Luhan yelled from his spot in the distance, his feet propped up casually on a crumbling pedestal.

I opened my mouth to scold him but very quickly remembered he was the eldest person present. Grumbling, my tone progressively filling with poisonous acrimony, I turned to see Kris eying me curiously. Our eyes locked and he shook his head awkwardly, dropping his head to avert my gaze and stiffly gesturing for me to enter the tomb first. I glowered, but thought nothing of it and pressed forward to feel the blackness overwhelm me instantly. The path stretching before me was near invisible and as I extended a hand, attempting to guide myself, I realised I could not even see the paleness of my own skin. My vision was completely obscured. Though the panicky pounding of my heart fell into an irregular beat, my interest pushed me forward.

Suddenly, torches on either side of the apparent corridor I was venturing through began to flicker, bursting to life before my eyes at the click of the boy’s fingers. He sat at the end of the room, a bundle of wavering flames levitating above his palm and an ancient crown propped atop his head. His hair curled dramatically from the heat, drenched with sweat and sticking to the base of his neck. Through the thick mop of auburn strands jutted out two elven ears, adding the innocence of his unique features; widened, inquisitive eyes, childishly puckered lips, a set of broad shoulders and lengthy legs that almost challenged those belonging to Kris.

I tugged a water bottle out of my backpack and unlatched it, pouring the contents onto the ground. The boy’s head snapped up, his eyes squinting to see what I was doing as he stood. As he cautiously stepped forward, I swished my hands back and forth, working the water into the air. With one swift flick of my wrist, the refreshing water splashed against his body, rinsing away the sweat and coolly soaking the thin material on his body. His hair was now plastered to his face, glued somewhat uncomfortably to his eyelashes, but he managed to smile approvingly.

His slender fingers reached up to rake the hair away from his forehead. ‘Thank you. I honestly thought I was about to die in this heat. Now that I think about it though…maybe I could have just waited outside the tomb.’

As I escorted the lanky boy back out, I learnt that his name was Chanyeol and that he was overly excitable, very garrulous and could easily control flame. It made me glad to know I was his superior and I noted that my own power could come in handy if the new addition ever lost his temper; his positive attitude suggested I wouldn’t have to intervene though.

Jongin greeted us enthusiastically, Luhan waved lazily in the distance and Kris delved directly into questioning Chanyeol’s abilities. I avoided the conversation and merely snatched Chanyeol’s phone from his pocket, before strolling off in the opposite direction as I flicked through his messages until I came upon the next clue. Luhan dawdled over, resting his chin upon my shoulder to read the tiny text upon the screen.

 

[Blocked Number] 1:13pm

There is one special place you have failed to visit on this holiday. It is dark and musky, sitting between the thrones of many kings, under the watchful eyes of an ancient guardian. If you wait here, someone will arrive to help cool you off.

[Blocked Number] 2:30pm

The place you must reach exists within the country which ranks first on the Rule of Law Index. The person you are looking for may be quite a shock and will be waiting for you by tall sea sculptures in two days’ time.

[File attachment]

 

 

‘I can straight up tell you that the best country is Denmark’, Luhan divulged, clasping onto the back of my shirt, ‘but I think you’re the one who needs to tell me what relevance the rest of the text has.’

The other three finally joined us and Kris scanned the message. ‘I’ve never been to Denmark, but I can remember reading about the Man At Sea sculpture in Esbjerg.’

‘Do you think mentioning getting shocked is an allusion to the next guy’s power?’ Jongin questioned, scratching his head.

‘Esbjerg is the power centre of the west coast, so that could just be confirmation of the location’, I explained, shoving Luhan away as my body began to overheat, ‘but if it’s referring to power…this guy could be really dangerous.’

Luhan spread his legs and began to flex his thighs. ‘Dangerous? Ha! I’d like to see him try to mess with me!’

Smoke began to rise and it became immediately evident that Chanyeol had set Luhan’s shorts on fire. The elder man sniffed the air and after peering down at the flame creeping up his leg, darted into the distance, his hands wailing above his head and girlish screams escaping his mouth. I sighed and followed after him, my hands poised and ready to soak him.

Chanyeol looked on, satisfied. ‘I feel like that one is going to get on my nerves.’

‘He is kind of annoying’, Kris admitted, shaking his head.

‘I don’t know. I kind of like him’, Jongin declared.

Chanyeol glared at the boy who had disagreed before rapidly realising how handsome he was. He inspected his funky attire, from the trendy lace up boots to the simply attractive plain tee and floppy haircut. For a moment he was envious, but soon he was straightening his back and fussing over his own outfit.

He smiled and gave Jongin an approving glance. ‘Yeah, I like him too!’