Hitting the Rocks like Charles Darwin

Pathfinders: The Road to El Dorado

A/N: Sorry sorry sorry for taking so long ~ I've been incredibly unwell recently, to the extent I could hardly see my computer screen! But here's the next chapter. This one is just Junmyeon, so I hope it's not too boring. Thank you for waiting <3

I moaned and dangled my feet into the water, attempting to alleviate the unbelievable atrociousness of scorching heat. My clothes were entirely drenched in stinky sweat, every strand of hair sticking uncomfortably to my nape. Little beads of sweat dotted my upper lip, where a faint shadow had grown because I was too lazy to shave the previous day. My eyes struggled to focus. The sun’s rays were dazzling and bright, and my eyesight wasn’t even fantastic on a normal day. It was likely that I looked as though I was glaring at people, but I couldn’t help squinting as I searched my surroundings, kicking my feet about childishly.

There had been no more clues since I’d arrived in Darwin, only countless texts from the others who were seemingly concerned and incapable of figuring out how to book their own flights. I responded to them all calmly, didn’t tell them of my suspicions or about how my skin felt like it was melting into the ground. They were obviously displeased, hurt that I had gone off on my lonesome. Kris was especially disappointed and refused to speak with me. I didn’t complain because things were easier to handle on my own. I could follow my own plans without needing to stress over the safety of others. It was a nice change.

I craned my neck and leant back, toppling into the sand. The waves softly lapping at my thighs soothed me, as did each grain of sand as it seeped through my fluttering fingers. I smiled and squeezed my eyes shut, enjoying the setting and attempting to forget about the temperature.

When I finally regained some strength and forced myself to sit, my eyes immediately zoomed in on a tremendous billboard behind me. It advertised the territory’s ‘Great Southern Rail’ with stunning images of the outback and appealing snaps of incredibly high-class carriages. I nodded to myself, making a very instantaneous decision; if the next member wasn’t going to come to me, I was going to extreme measures to track them down.

A day later I was sprawled across a leather seat within my cabin aboard a very smooth sailing train. There was a snug bed inside the compressed room and much to my satisfaction, it transformed into a comfortable lounge when necessary. On the wall was a switch, for music stations and audio commentary on my journey and at the end of the cabin was a miniature bathroom which luckily, didn’t have to be shared with other passengers. Like a fancy hotel, there were complimentary toiletries - aromatic soaps, an entire packet of blue shower caps, lavender scented moisturiser and small bottles of mixed vitamins – and all-day food menus, featuring marvellously fancy foreign dishes. I mustered up some courage on the first night and ordered kangaroo. After a few bites, I very hastily decided to stick with more familiar meals.

It was in the morning of the second day when I peeked out the window to see a striking, warm sky. The sun had not yet fully awoken and sat frozen half-way through its ascent, sending ribbons of reds, oranges and pinks all over the place in peculiar patterns. With not a single cloud in sight, it was like a painting. Truly, I had never seen something so naturally perfect.

I yawned and wiped a bit of dust off the window with my sleeve, before returning my gaze to the view outside. Other than the sky, which was alive and glowing, everything else seemed to be dead. The ground was a vibrant orange. There were no fresh patches of grass or any newly blossoming flowers, only boundless desert. It was strange to think that one country held so many uniquely appealing environments and even stranger to remember that only a couple of days earlier I had been paddling around at the beach.

As I shuffled back, ready to get dressed, I saw a dim flash in the corner of my eye. Wary, I crawled back to the window and peered out, eyes flickering about to ensure I didn’t miss a thing. In the distance, there was a splash of bright green. It seemed to be growing rapidly, stretching out across the dry, cracking earth. In a matter of seconds, everything before me was a shockingly vibrant mixture of colours; green blades of grass blowing in an invisible breeze, trees spouting quickly to swiftly be covered with cute purple buds and clusters of tiny pink and yellow flowers randomly thrown here and there. My eyes widened, because that wasn’t the most bizarre thing. The figure standing out in the middle of nowhere, arms extended and face upturned to the sky, was what truly grabbed my attention.

Still in loose slacks and a sweatshirt that dangled off my shoulders to reveal a decent amount of skin, I dashed out of my cabin. They weren’t going to the stop the train for one person, so I had the emergency exit in my sight. Pumping my eyes and breathing as steadily as possible, I pushed myself to go faster and faster so that by the time I reached the door, I couldn’t change my mind. I yanked the latch and flung myself off the carriage.

The pain struck me immediately, but I was rolling and tumbling and turning and there was nothing I could do to stop it. My lean body smashed harshly against protruding rocks and my skin was grazed continuously by clumps of sharp pebbles. Both legs twisted around one another, joints cracking noisily and muscles straining. Even as I skidded to a halt, lying face first in a patch of silky petals, the pain did not disappear. I could feel blood dripping from a nostril and the back of my head felt damp also, but these injuries didn’t bother me. It was the odd angle of my left leg that made me freeze in shock after turning onto my back. I gulped, eyes bulging, so frightened that I barely noticed the fingers tenderly wrapping around the broken area.

I blinked once and my leg had reverted to its normal state, straight and without any indication of bruising. Confused, I blinked a few more times and bent to examine it. I wasn’t dreaming.

The plants beneath and around me rustled a little as the man sat down, smiling gently at me with adorably crinkled eyes and a single, deep dimple. His hair was perfectly styled considering the terrible heat and his skin was flawless, a porcelain fairness with the slightest of pink blushes. Dressed in nothing more than a white wife-beater and droopy sports shorts, his defined muscles were undoubtedly prominent and the veins lining his toned arms were oddly alluring. I only managed to tear my eyes away when I heard his giggle, delicate and angelic, like a soft melody.

He tilted his head innocently and shook my hand, brushing some dirt off with his thumb. ‘You should be more careful. I can heal things, but I’ve never tried reviving someone before.’

‘I wasn’t thinking straight’, I admitted, forcing an uneasy laugh as I felt my heart jumping about, ‘I just wanted to get to you.’

‘I’m not that special.’

‘You’re a healer! You’re the most valuable member yet!’

He chuckled, cutely cupping a hand to his mouth before introducing himself as Yixing. Even though I had been in any absolutely terrible situation only moments earlier, I couldn’t stop smiling. His touch had healed my body, but something about his presence seemed to soothe my soul. Kris wasn’t going to like this at all. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, if you didn't notice, all of the destinations spell out 'El Dorado'!

Also, quite obviously, there is one member missing from the picture. Don't worry, he hasn't been forgotten!

We're about a chapter away from the real adventure, where the boys are all finally together and embark on the final journey. Things are going to get pretty interesting (I hope), so you best prepare yourselves (lol, remember the last line of the first chapter...?)

Chu ~ <3