Jonghyun - Unanswered Call

Sad Shinee Oneshots

To any and all of my readers in France, please stay safe during this state is emergency.

Hello! Just a note, like always, before the actual story. I'm going to start my stories with a brief intro and description from now on (you'll see it below). I was a bit bored and browsings OTP Prompts (by the way, an amazing resource if you have writer's block) on tumblr when I got the idea for this, so please enjoy.

Also, if you aren't logged in, any places where your name would have been will just display as "you" (for example, if you aren't logged in, in the first line).

Title: Unanswered Call
Characters: Jonghyun (Main), Reader (She/Her Pronouns), Onew.
Point of View: Jonghyun's POV
Triggers/Warnings: Alcohol, Swearing, Relationship, Suicide and Implied Suicide.


"Hello, it's me you. I'm not available right now, so if you could please leave a message after the beep..."

I had heard that voicemail so many times this evening, it was almost becoming like a song played too often on repeat - to the point of wanting to rip your hair out. For the past three days, I had have no contact with you. From what I knew, her friends hadn't either, not even Onew. When I called him earlier he hadn't seemed to have heard from her since her disappearance as well.

"No, I don't think I've heard anything from her for about three days or so. That's normal for her though, she takes long breaks in her conversations. She's been a bit down too, lately.” Thats what he had told me, but I wasn't buying it. She always responded right away to me, but this time all contact and replies had ceased. She and Onew were just friends, obviously she would take longer to reply, right?

Perhaps I should take a break from all of this worrying and get a drink. Yeah, that sounds good.

Walking over to the kitchen, I placed my phone on the counter and grabbed a mug and placed it under my coffee machine. I grabbed whatever capsule I saw first and plopped it in the machine, hearing it beat - signalling that it had begun to brew.

"I wonder where she has gone?" I mumbled to myself. It really didn't make sense. The day before I had even popped by her apartment - nobody answered and when I entered, her room was empty. This wasn't like you. In fact, you and been acting significantly less you-y like in the past couple of weeks; She had been missing reservations and work, sleeping through alarms and other things very much unlike her. It was probably connected, but I just couldn't figure out how. I didn't really have the time to either, between all the rehearsals I've been having lately (horrible timing to put out a new album, if you ask me) and just being down in general.

I heard a beep sound - interrupting my conversation with myself, and went over to pick up my mug. God, this coffee smelt pretty goddamn good at the moment. I took a sip and then continued to walk back to my office, sitting at my desk once again. Taking a quick look around my desk, I noticed an extra laptop. you’s computer, from when she stayed over a couple days before. 

“Maybe I should check her laptop?” I didn’t really want to invade her privacy, but for the love of god, things were getting strange and I still had no clue as to where she was. 

I mean, what if she just didn’t love me anymore?

What of she had run off with another guy? Why do I even care then?

“ it, I’ll just check her history quickly…” I say to myself, deciding to just get it over with. Opening google chrome, I read over the various websites, getting an idea of what she was doing before she left.

3:06 AM   Royal Icing Recipe - Google Search  www.google.ca

Okay, seems fair enough. She does enjoy baking.

3:09 AM   http://www.msds.com/  www.msds.com

Material Safety Data Sheets? Odd.

3:06 AM   Suicide Methods - Google Search  www.google.ca

3:10 AM   Do sleeping pills kill? | The Poison Review  www.thepoisonreview.com

3:24 AM   Most lethal methods of suicide | Lost All Hope: The web's leading suicide resource  lostallhope.com

“.” I can’t believe I thought she was cheating on me or something. I immediately reach over, grabbing my phone and calling Onew.

The phone began to ring. Please, please pick up…

“Hey, Jonghyun! What’s up?” One cheerily answered, picking up my call.

“Onew, I think I know where you is…” I responded.

“Where? I need to talk to that girl, man. She missed our movie night.” I could almost hear him smiling into the phone.

“You know how I visited her apartment? I never checked the bathroom,” I felt bad, ruining his mood like this.

“Wait… Do you think?” Onew sounded like he was choking.

“Yeah. I do. I just looked at her laptop and it seems like it might be.” I didn’t really want to be right. , I think I’m crying now.

“Hey, Jongie, calm down okay. It'll be fine. Do you want to go to check?” Onew didn’t seem very keen on going, despite suggesting it. Looking down, I saw tears scattered on the table surface between by two elbows.

“I don’t really - but I have to go” I wasn’t even sure that Onew could understand me through my crying at this point.

“Jongie, I have to call the police now, got it? I’ll call you back right away, okay? As soon as I can.” He probably wound’t call back afterwards. I probably wouldn’t even be able to see the body, if there was one.

Slumping off my chair, I leaned my back against the wall. Puddles of salty tears sat around my eyes, occasionally pooling up so much that they fell down, around my ankles - like shackles, holding me down. 

“Jesus... how did I not know?”