Four

Suddenly
 
She threw her bag on the couch and stomped to her room. She heard the front door close, and soon, footsteps followed her ­– should be Taeyeon.
 
She grabbed a pillow and started to punch the poor, lifeless thing. She didn’t care if she had an audience. She just had to let her anger out any way she could and if Taeyeon wanted to live longer, she’d better stay back.
 
After a few minutes of venting her anger out, she felt a pair of arms stopping her from continuing by engulfing her in a tight back hug.
 
Her body froze. All rage and resentment instantly vanished and were automatically replaced by the unknown feelings she kept having whenever Taeyeon was around.
 
She didn’t know what to do. She wanted to stay like that a little bit longer, but that would be weird. Wouldn’t it?
 
A little while after, Taeyeon’s arms left her – bringing with it, the warmth she enjoyed so much – and she found herself resisting the urge to beg Taeyeon to put them back around her.
 
Taking a deep breath, she turned around and met Taeyeon’s gaze.
 
Taeyeon smiled. “Thank God you’re not crying. I wouldn’t know what to do if you were.”
 
She smiled back, although at the back of her mind, she asked herself why she wasn’t crying. I should be sad, right? And I should be bawling my eyes out right now. It was probably what Taeyeon was expecting to see when she followed her. She frowned, suddenly feeling confused.
 
Taeyeon probably mistook her frown for something else because she said, “I mean, it’s not like you’re not allowed to cry. You can. I mean, I know you’re sad, but, you kno–…”
 
She chuckled, finding the panicky Taeyeon very cute.
 
Then she blushed.
 
She must’ve looked like fool, frowning then smiling then blushing. Taeyeon chuckled. “Are you okay? You’re probably tired. You should sleep.”
 
Taeyeon looked around her room before walking to her closet and grabbing a change of clothes. She handed them to her before saying, “Here, go change and then sleep. We can always talk some other time.”
 
She suddenly remembered why Taeyeon was with her and felt guilty. “I’m sorry. I forgot about our talk. I’m okay. We can talk now.”
 
Taeyeon shook her head and stepped back. “You need to rest. All that punching must’ve taken a lot out on you,” she chuckled. “I’ll see myself out.”
 
She reached out for Taeyeon’s arm just before the girl could turn around. “Stay.” Her face heated up. She didn’t know where that came from and why she even said that. 
 
“H-huh?”
 
She gulped. “I…” She racked her brain for any kind of excuse. “H-he might come here.” Yeah. Believable. “Please stay with me.” Although she knew her ex-boyfriend was smart enough not to show himself to her if he wanted to live still – but Taeyeon didn’t know that. She hoped that was a valid reason to make Taeyeon stay.
 
Taeyeon slowly nodded. “O-okay then.”
 
Tiffany went to her closet and looked for a suitable change of clothes for Taeyeon. She rummaged her clothes and finally found a cute pajama set she had yet to use and gave it to the other girl. “Here, you can change to these.”
 
Taeyeon’s face contorted in half-disgust and half-amusement. “Cupcakes?” She finally let out a chuckle. “You have pajamas with cupcakes as design? Really? What are you… five?”
 
Tiffany punched her arm. “They’re from a cousin of mine who used to tease me a lot. That’s the only pajama set I haven’t used yet so I’m giving them to you. Shouldn’t you be honored?”
 
Taeyeon snorted. “Do I look like I want to wear something that was bought from the children’s section?”
 
“It’ll look cute on you though, since you look no older than five,” she teased and moved away before the girl could physically retaliate.
 
Taeyeon sighed and shrugged. “It’s fine. I can just sleep with the clothes I’m wearing now.”
 
She eyed the girl from head to toe. Wrong move. She gulped to force down a drool coming out when her gaze fell from the two open top button of Taeyeon’s shirt down to the smooth legs her short skirt was doing a poor job of hiding.
 
She looked back up and saw a frown on Taeyeon’s face. She tried calming herself down before smirking. “Let’s see you try to get comfy in that skirt.” She chuckled in victory before grabbing the clothes Taeyeon got her and skipping towards the bathroom.
 
-
 
She found Taeyeon sitting on the bed minutes later with a cute frown on her face. She laughed when she noticed what the other girl was wearing.
 
Taeyeon glared at her. “Not funny.”
 
That didn’t stop her from throwing her head back and laughing louder.
 
Seconds later, a pillow flew across the room and landed on her face, effectively shutting her up. “Yah!”
 
Taeyeon crossed her arms and stuck her tongue out. “You shouldn’t have laughed.”
 
She chuckled. “I was right, though. It definitely looks cute on you. Very cute,” she said nonchalantly as she moved to her table to get the lotion.
 
She waited for a response – a witty comeback, maybe – but when she heard nothing, she turned her head and found Taeyeon covering her face with her hands. Worried, she placed the lotion back on the table and hurriedly walked over to the girl. “Hey, are you alright?” She tried pulling Taeyeon’s hands away from her face.
 
Taeyeon nodded but still kept her hands on her face.
 
“Then why are you like that?” She tried pulling the hands off again but failed. “Yah!”
 
Taeyeon finally relented after a few more tugs and Tiffany saw the pink cheeks.
 
“Yah, what happened?” She tried feeling the girl’s forehead but it wasn’t warm. “Are you sick?”
 
Taeyeon moved back and shook her head. “It’s nothing, really. We should just sleep.”
 
“O…kay?” she said as she watched Taeyeon stand up and walk towards the door. She frowned. “Where are you going?”
 
“Uh… the couch? You don’t have a guest room right?”
 
“No, I don’t, bu–”
 
“So I’m sleeping on the couch.”
 
“Wait!” she shouted before Taeyeon could take another step. “You could just sleep with me, you know.” Realizing what she said, she quickly added. “I-I mean sleep beside me! Sleep beside me on this b-bed. I wasn’t implying on anything else o-other than s-sleeping. I-I mean…”
 
She wanted to slap herself to death if that were possible. A blush made its way up to her cheeks when she remembered why she avoided Taeyeon in the first place. The milky white skin, the perfect collar bon– Snap out of it, woman!
 
She heard a chuckle and looked at Taeyeon to see the girl smiling despite the red cheeks. “Don’t worry, I understood what you meant.”
 
She watched the older girl walk towards the bed before slipping under the covers. Taeyeon yawned cutely and seeing her with the kiddie pajamas, Tiffany had to fight the urge to pinch the girl’s cheeks or kiss he– HA! What’s wrong with me?!
 
She shook her head quickly finished what she had to do and joined Taeyeon on the bed.
 
-
 
She felt something tickling her nose and neck. She tried moving but there was something restricting her movement. She huffed and opened her eyes. The sight that greeted her was something she didn’t expect to see but she wasn’t going to complain.
 
Taeyeon’s head was comfortably resting on her shoulder while the older girl’s arm was lying comfortably on her stomach.
 
She smiled.
 
She liked it.
 
She shifted carefully so she was lying on her side, facing Taeyeon. She brought an arm up and slipped it around Taeyeon as well. She watched Taeyeon sleep with a smile on her face. The older girl’s mouth slowly opened and she chuckled quietly as she gently pushed it to a close.
 
She gave in to the temptation of kissing the girl’s nose and watched in amusement as it crinkled.
 
She tried recalling the feelings she kept having when with Taeyeon – the fluttery feelings, the rapid pounding of the heart, and the constant need to have the girl close to her. Now that she thought of it, all of those were reminiscent of how she felt when she first met Oppa.
 
Only this time, it was more… intense.
 
She just a hard time recognizing them at first because she hadn’t felt them in a long time.  
 
Now I know. I like her.
 
Her heart leaped at the realization. It instantly brought a smile to her face.
 
So that’s why I didn’t cry last night.
 
She was brought out of her thoughts when a cute snore came out of other girl. She unconsciously leaned forward and puckered her lips to steal a quick peck on Taeyeon’s lips. Her lips had just touched Taeyeon’s when the girl’s eyes suddenly fluttered open.
 
Her eyes widened in surprise. She tried pulling away but Taeyeon’s arm around her made it impossible.
 
Their lips touched for a few seconds before Taeyeon finally loosened her hold.
 
She gulped. She moved to get off the bed but Taeyeon tightened the hold she has on her again.
 
“Oh no you don’t.” Taeyeon sighed. “Please don’t leave. Can we have our talk now? If you want to avoid me again after that then I’ll leave.”
 
The seriousness in the girl’s voice made her stop struggling. “O-okay.”
 
-
 
She sat beside Taeyeon on the couch. It was awkward but she knew Taeyeon wouldn’t let her off without talking first.
 
“Can I start?” Taeyeon asked.
 
She nodded because it would be hard for her to start the conversation anyway.
 
Taeyeon took a deep breath before starting. “I broke up with my boyfriend.”
 
Her head snapped to the side to look at Taeyeon but the girl was looking down at her lap, playing with her fingers. Now, that wasn’t what she was expecting to hear, although it did sound good to the ears.
 
“I broke up with him the day after my birthday party.”
 
She froze. How was she supposed to react to that knowing what happened that day? Oh no. She felt guilty so she broke up with him. I ruined their relationship! Stupid Tiffany, stupid! What have you done?! “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ruin your relationship with him. I–…” She what? What exactly was she supposed to say? She couldn’t remember what happened so there was nothing much she could think of.
 
Surprisingly, Taeyeon looked up with a smile on her face. “You don’t have to say sorry you know. None of it was your fault.”
 
She kept quiet.
 
“I felt guilty. I felt like I was cheating behind his back.”
 
That was it. That was what she was expecting to hear. It was definitely her fault. Curse that night.
 
“But it wasn’t because of that night. If anything, that night only made things clearer for me.”
 
She looked at her with curiosity. Seriously, where is she going with this?
 
Taeyeon sighed. “I broke up with him right after you… um… left that morning. I’ve been having weird feelings when I’m around you, and although I’ve tried ignoring them at first, they just kept coming back whenever we meet.” She paused. “I… I was overjoyed when that night happened because it gave me hope that you felt the same but then you ran away without talking to me and you avoided me for weeks after that, so I thought maybe you didn’t feel the same way.”
 
Tiffany remained silent.
 
“I tried to contact you everyday but you ignored my calls and texts.” She looked down again. “I began to lose hope. I began to think that everything was just a mistake and that you were really just drunk.”
 
She gulped. No. I was afraid of what you’d think of me! She kept that to herself.
 
“When I saw you at the café yesterday, I knew I had to follow you in and have that talk. I was ready to give up my feelings and just settle with being friends with you, if that was what you wanted. I was going to do everything you wanted, just as long as you stopped avoiding me. Even if I meant forgetting that night.” There was a pause then a smile slowly made its way to Taeyeon’s face. Even though her head was down, Tiffany could see it. “But then this morning…”
 
She blushed at the memory of what she did.
 
Taeyeon moved closer. “I-I like you, Tiffany.” She slowly reached for Tiffany’s hand and gently held it, afraid of rejection.
 
Tiffany’s heart was beating right out of her chest. She squeezed the hand in hers, but didn’t say anything.
 
Taeyeon sighed in relief.
 
“I… I like you too, Taeyeon-ah.” She smiled. “I’m sorry for ignoring and avoiding you.” She sighed. “I got scared, confused and guilty.”
 
“Do you still feel that way?” Taeyeon asked softly. She moved some more, until their knees touched.
 
She shook her head. “Not anymore.” She intertwined their fingers.
 
“Are you sure with your feelings now?”
 
She nodded firmly. “I’m sure. Thank you for staying with me last night.”
 
“No problem.” Taeyeon then leaned forward to give her a peck on the lips. “Thank you for kissing me. I felt like a huge weight was pulled off of me. Took a lot of guts, I must say, since you weren’t even sure if I liked you back.”
 
 
She knew Taeyeon was teasing her so she smirked and moved her face closer to Taeyeon’s. She watched as the girl’s eyes widened. “Yup. And I’d kiss you more now that I know you feel the same way.” She closed the remaining gap and fit her lips between Taeyeon’s parted ones. Definitely not just a peck this time.