Chapter 3

A Crush or More? [HIATUS]

“Don't push me Jackson.”

“But I can't see anything!”

“Shh! They can hear you.”

 

Hiding behind a plant, they looked at the three girls, Hae-in, Jungyoon and Hyorin, who were currently sitting at a bubble tea shop talking and enjoying their time. Jackson and Bambam followed them in the hope of seeing Hae-in excited over something. If that happened, they would buy it immediately and give it as a present. This was their plan, but the girls decided to go grab a drink first and they haven't moved since then. Sighing, they sat on the ground.

 

“When are they going to look around stores? Gosh, girls can talk for hours...” Jackson muttered. Bambam stayed quiet for a while when he realized something.

 

“What if Hae-in saw something she liked?”

“Then we would buy it for her, that was our plan. Did you forget already?”

“But, she's with Hyorin and Jungyoon. Wouldn't they buy it for her then?”

“...”

 

Realizing that their chase and wait for the last hour was in vain they sighed loudly. Contemplating for a moment, they decided to stand up and look for a present. They didn't notice eyes focused on them as they walked away though.

 

Chuckling, the girls saw the two boys walking away from their hiding spot.

“Idiots.” Hae-in said and chewed on the lychee jellies from her taro bubble tea.

“I didn't think they would go away actually.” Jungyoon admitted.

“Isn't it cute what they're trying to do though?” Hyorin said chuckling as they stood up.

“Not really... let's go walk around.” Hae-in said and they walked out the shop.

 

Entering, what seemed to be a cute shop, Jackson and Bambam looked around.

“What about this plushy?” Bambam asked as he held the doll so Jackson could see.

“Nah, she has enough plushies right? Her whole bed has been taken over by them.”

Putting the doll back, Bambam looked further.

 

“Bambam, what about Pusheen bedsheets?” Jackson asked as he examined the bedsheets, each with another picture.

“Yugyeom already bought one for her and I don't know which one he bought.”

“We can just give it to her before him.”

“Poor Yugyeom...”

“Poor us.” Jackson said and put it the bedsheets back and said, “Why don't we buy some candy for her? She'll like that.”

“But we already bought candy for her last year. Let's be more original Jackson.”

They walked out of the shop, searching somewhere else. As they walked around, they walked past the cinema. Jackson stopped in his tracks which caused Bambam to bump into him. Being annoyed Bambam grumbled and said, “What is it?”

Jackson pointed to a huge balloon at the entrance of the cinema.

“A big Baymax! Hae-in wants a big Baymax!”

“It's not even for sale and we're not going to steal it! Then we need to pay the fine with our money instead of paying for a gift...”

“Oh my god why is it so hard to get a present for Hae-in?!”

 

*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~

 

As Hee-Jin opened the door of café Exoluxion the bell rang, indicating that there was a customer. Walking to the counter she noticed Xiumin drying some cups. He was as handsome as always. She had the longest crush on him, she couldn't even remember for how long now. She met him at one of her cousin's, Dongwoo, birthday and instantly fell for him. Not only was he handsome, but he also was caring, had a beautiful smile and the list could go on and on. Hee-Jin didn't talk that much to him though as she was too nervous, but she wanted to know more about him. She was convinced he was like she thought he was though.

 

Noticing her, he put the cup and the cloth down.

“Hey Hee-Jin, you're here for the cakes?” Xiumin asked as she stood before him.

“Yup!” she said with a smile, happy to see him. As she confirmed why she was there, Xiumin walked to the back of the café to get the cakes out of the refrigerator. Coming back, he had four boxes with him.

“Huge party isn't it?” he said and chuckled.

“Yeah, you know how Hae-in likes sweets.” Hee-Jin said and laughed.

“Oh! Shouldn't you be at school to pick up your books?” Hee-Jin wondered.

“The last years can pick up their books around four so I took the early shift.” he answered and she nodded in understanding. Taking the money out of her pocket, she paid for the cakes.

 

As Hae-in loved cake, mom decided to buy four different cakes with different flavors for everyone to enjoy. There was chocolate, peach, cream cake and apple pie.

Giving back the change, Xiumin put the boxes of cake in two bags. As he did this, Hee-Jin noticed he also put something else in it.

“What's that?” she aked and pointed at the card he put in.

“It's a present for Hae-in. Tell her she can get some free Caramel Frappuccino with it.” Xiumin said and helped Hee-Jin take the bags.

“That's so nice of you Xiumin!” she said enviously.

“I'll give you one too when it's your birthday alright? Don't be jealous.” Xiumin said amused as Hee-Jin's face was like an open book. Her face turned red as he said that.

“Ah! Before I forget. Boss is looking for you Hee-Jin.”

“Seho ahjussi is?”

“Yeah. He asked if you could come by tomorrow as he knows today is your sister's birthday and he's also out of town today. You should come with that friend of yours that always laughs when he's awkward, he said.” Xiumin said as he cited Seho.

 

Jo Seho was the owner of café Exoluxion and considering you visited often, he treated Hee-Jin like one of his children. Hee-Jin liked it actually as she didn't have a father figure in her life.

 

Laughing at Seho's description of her certain friend she replied, “I think he means Youngjae? But sure, I'll come visit tomorrow. Then, I'll go now. Bye bye!” she said, not waving due to the two bags that were in her hands.

“Alright. Enjoy the party.” Xiumin said as he hurried to pull the door open for Hee-Jin and bid her goodbye.

 

On her way home, she stopped at a red light and put the bags on the ground temporarily to text Yugyeom she would be home in a bit. Grabbing the bags again she continued her walk to her home. As she arrived at her door, she looked around seeing Yugyeom nowhere in sight yet, which should be easy as the boy was so tall. She decided to put the cake in the refrigerator first and go get Mark.

 

Ringing the bell, it was Mark's mother who opened the door.

“Oh my Hee-Jinnie, come inside.” his mother said and made way for Hee-Jin to enter.

“Ah! I only wanted to pick up Mark.” Hee-Jin replied, but was pushed inside.

“You can get him yourself. He's in his room. ” she said.

Knowing she couldn't argue, she took her shoes off and said, “Thank you ahjumma.”

“Ah don't be so formal! How many times do I need to tell you that you can call me eomonim? We're already so close, you're like my daughter already.”

“Thank you eomonim.”

“That's better. Now, I'll continue making some food. I'll bring them over when they're done.”
“Ah you shouldn't have. We bought some food from Jaebum's restaurant.”

“There is no such thing as too much food.” she argued and walked back to the kitchen. Sighing, Hee-Jin smiled. She truly was a kind woman.

 

Heading up the stairs to Mark's room, Hee-Jin saw that the door was open. Peeking her head inside, she spotted him on his bed snoring softly, holding a pillow tightly in his arms. Trying to keep herself from giggling, she put a hand on and quickly headed downstairs again.

“Eomonim, Mark's sleeping so I'll just let him sleep. I'll go decorate first and I'll let the front door unlocked for him! Oh! The food smells great!”

“You should just wake him up though. You're too considerate, but oh well. Thanks my dear and be careful decorating! You can be so clumsy sometimes.” Hearing the last remark Hee-Jin laughed nervously and put her shoes on again.

 

Closing the door behind her and walking off their front porch she saw Yugyeom walking towards her way.

“Noona!” he said with his bright smile and waved.

“Ah, Yugyeommie!~ Just in time.” Hee-Jin said as she rushed to him and Yugyeom enveloped her in his arms. He was like a giant koala when he hugged someone.

“Shall we go inside?” Hee-Jin asked and she felt his head nod against her head.

“Are you going to let go?” she asked him, squeeling inside from his cuteness.

“No~ You're the perfect headrest for me.” Yugyeom replied and Hee-Jin chuckled. They slowly moved inside in this position.

 

Being inside, he slowly let go as Hee-Jin grabbed all the decorations out of a cupboard. Putting his present on the table he looked at the things Hee-Jin got. It were some simple items to decorate the room. Some flags, balloons and fancy table clothes. Yugyeom took a hand of the balloons and sat on the sofa.

“You can't tie a knot right? I'll do the balloons then.” Yugyeom said and Hee-Jin let a nervous laugh as she became embarassed.

“Then I'll set the table and clean up a bit.” she said and they both became busy with their tasks.

 

*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o

 

Done with their shopping Hae-in was satisfied with the day and smiled. She got some hair accessories and clothes from Jungyoon and Hyorin as a present. The satisfaction quickly flew away as her smile turned upside down when hearing an annoying voice calling out for her.

 

“Hae-innie~!”

Jungyoon and Hyorin turned around to find Jimin running towards them with Yoongi, Daehyun and Namjoon walking begind him. Sighing, Hae-in turned around too.

“Hey guys.” Hyorin greeted them happily.

“Hae-innie~ Happy birthday!” Jimin yelled, completely ignoring Hyorin's greeting. She pouted at this.

“Don't call me like we're close... and how do you know it's my birthday?”

“Aw come on! We can be close?” Jimin said and grinned, ignoring her question.

“No. Let's go girls.” she said and they turned around, Hyorin waving them goodbye before they walked away.

 

“Ah she likes me, she's just too shy.” Jimin said with hearts in his eyes as they walked away.

“No she doesn't.” Yoongi commented on the first while Namjoon commented on the latter with, “No she isn't.”

Jimin didn't hear them however as he was still smiling like an idiot and staring at Hae-in's retreating back.

“Let's go grab some food.” Daehyun suggested and they walked away, leaving Jimin at his frozen spot.

 

“Does your brother still ignore you in public?” Hae-in asked Jungyoon as they were outside on their way to her house.

“Uhu. To keep his image he says. But honestly, this is better for my image too so I don't mind. Namjoon is such an idiot of a brother.” Jungyoon said and sighed. She truly didn't understand the worth of having a fake image.

 

*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o*~*~*o

 

“All set!” Hee-Jin stated proudly as she tied the last balloons on the birthday chair with ribbons and then looked around.

 

The table was set with the fancy table clothe, plates and silverware piled up on it for the food and cake later. The cakes were also lined up on the table. The flags hung on the walls and everywhere you looked were balloons tied with yellow and green ribbons and pasted on random spots.

 

“Thank you so much for helping Yugyeommie~” Hee-Jin said and hugged him.

“We make a good team noona!” Yugyeom said as he also looked around. They did a pretty decent job, if they said so themselves.

“Oh! The flag is loose there though.” Hee-Jin said and pointed to the corner where the flag hung low.

 

Grabbing a chair and placing it at the right position, she took some tape and the end of the row of flags before standing on the chair.

 

“Be careful noona.” Yugyeom said with worry, a feeling of déjà vu coming up.

“I'll be okay, don't wo– AAAHH!” Hee-Jin said but as she lost her balance she yelled and fell bakwards. Quick to react, Yugyeom catched her and they both fell on the ground. As Hee-Jin still had the end of the flag in her hand, the whole row on the wall got ripped off.

 

“Ohmygosh I'm so sorry Yugyeommie! Are you okay?” Hee-Jin said distressed and checked him for injuries. Laughing as she was so worried, he took her hands in his to stop her from moving his head to check every angle of his face for wounds.

 

“I'm okay noona, really. Are you?” Yugyeom said reassuringly which made Hee-Jin relax and smile.

“Thanks to you I am.”

“You know, I remember the time when we were helping Mark out with painting the walls of his bedroom.” Yugyeom began which made the smile on Hee-Jin's face fall.

“I don't want to remember that! It was so embarassing!”

“But it was cute! You fell on the bucket of paint and your was all red like a baboon's.” Yugyeom said and laughed out loud.

“Stop it!~” she replied whiny and hid her red face in his chest while he continued laughing.

 

“Yah! What's going on here?!” a voice interrupted the laughter and whining as they looked at the owner of the voice. There stood Mark who laid the bag with Hae-in's present in it on the ground and walked up to them to help Hee-Jin up. Yugyeom stood up as well, without getting any help though.

 

“Thanks. I fell...” Hee-Jin said embarassed.

Sighing, Mark looked at the fallen flags. He took the end from Hee-Jin's hand and started to make his way to the wall.

“Can you pass me the tape?” he asked and Yugyeom cut some of the roll tape to pass it to him.

“You know you shouldn't stand on chairs anymore. Don't you remember the time when-” Mark started, but got interrupted by Hee-Jin.

“I remember! I don't need to be reminded...” she said as she didn't want to hear it again. Ever.

“Good.” he said and finished taping it on the wall. Walking up to them, they said on the sofa, waiting for the birthday girl to arrive.

“Why didn't you let Yugyeom do it? He's tall enough.”

“I wanted to do it. Yugyeom did a lot already!” Hee-Jin reasoned and emphasized 'a lot' by spreading her arms wide to let him look at the whole room, only causing to hit Mark's face. Retreating her hand quickly she smiled nervously while Yugyeom tried to hold in his laughter.

“Oopsy...”

 

Closing his eyes for a moment and taking a deep breath, he tried to keep calm. Opening his eyes again, he looked at her.

 

“You said you'd pick me up.” Mark said and pouted, furrowing his eyebrows in irritation.

“You were sound asleep... I didn't want to wake you up.” Hee-Jin muttered.

“She meant well hyung.” Yugyeom added.

Mark knew that. He just didn't like it, that's all. She said she'd pick him up after all. Just when Mark wanted to apologize for behaving like this, the front door opened.

 

“I'm home!”