chapter 02

Red Lines

" HaNeul ! " HaNa burst into her sister's bedroom.

" No, you still haven't return me the 10 dollars you borrowed last week," HaNeul said nonchalantly, not even bothered to look at her sister.

HaNa rolled her eyes before sitting down on to her sister's rather comfortable bed. " I don't want any money," she spoke, annoyance laced with her words, " Have you seen my school pants ? "

" What school pants ? " HaNeul looks up, indifferent.

HaNa groaned, " You know. My school uniform ? "

HaNeul thought about it for a second before turning her attention back to her laptop, " Oh, Mom and I bought school skirts for you. They should be downstairs. "

" What ?! " HaNa fixed a glare at her sister, who was seemingly hiding a smirk, before slamming the door shut and rushing downstairs, completely ignoring her mother when she asked What's the problem ? She looked at the skirt, which looked like they could barely cover her , with utter disgust while she had a private debate with herself on whether she should wear the skirt or a pair of pants ( which she will be yelled at for wearing ). But she knew that there was barely anytime left before she'll be late and that she couldn't waste another minute.

HaNa glared at her mirror, watching the boyish brown haired girl in the mirror glaring back at her with equal amount of disgust at the fact she resembled an awkward duckling who was wearing a skirt for the first time. She fidgeted with the skirt as she desperately tired to pull it down and somehow she managed to convince herself that she was going to be a laughing stock, that she'll be the only girl who looked so ridiculous in a skirt that the school will have no other option but give her the male uniform to wear. After all, she was the new student, a title she was all too familiar with.

---

HaNa walked nervously to school as she kept pulling down her skirt, Ugh, if they made skirts this short, I might as well just go to school in my underwear, like what's the difference ?  Judging by the closed gates, HaNa had reached- Closed ?! HaNa's cheeks flushed a light pink as she realised that she was late to school, on her first day, and her extremely short skirt rendered her impossible to climb over the gate.

" Oh, you're late too, " a voice said loud enough for HaNa to hear as he stood next to HaNa. HaNa's eyes shifted to the boy standing next to her. He easily towered over her, like most people because HaNa was vertically challenged.

Without a single notice, HaNa was suddenly lifted off her feet. The muscular black haired boy held HaNa by her waist and time seemed to stand still. The soft breeze blew past the duo, it was like a scene in a movie. Even though HaNa barely knew the boy, she wanted time to stop so that she could be in the same position she is in now. And for a moment HaNa experienced a feeling that she has never felt before, a feeling that would otherwise turn into a crush that will fade as the time passes.

He placed HaNa gently on the school gate, as if he was scared to break the fragile looking girl. They made their way on to the other side of the closed school gates quietly, with the trees rustling in the background.

" T-Thank you."

Ignoring what HaNa had just said, the black haired boy walked away from HaNa.

" You should get going, or you'll really get into trouble for being late. "

Just like that, with a rather cold statement, the two parted ways.

---

HaNa ran towards the administrative office, afraid that if she was to be any second late, it would be an embarrassing situation for her and that she would be known as the girl who was late to her first day of school.

" Hello, how may I help you ? "

HaNa's eyes laid on the red head woman behind the desk.

" Er.. Hi, " HaNa flashed a forced smile, pushing a strand of stay hair behind her ear as she felt self conscious all of a sudden. HaNa's eyes darted all over the office while she fiddled with her fingers. " I- I'm the new student. "

HaNa's eyes caught the attention of the badge on the woman's left chest. Mrs Kim JiHyun

" Oh yea, " Mrs Kim's eyes widened as she remembered about the new student. She quickly opened her drawers and drew out a piece of paper.

" Here you go, " she said with a bright smile on her face.

HaNa gulped as she accepted the paper, " T-thank you. "

She suddenly felt undesirably victimized with the sheer effort of communicating with such an obviously extroverted character when all she really wanted to do was to run back out through the gates and go home. HaNa walked out of the cooling office and as the warmth hugged her body, she let out a soft sigh. She didn't like new things. She hated the feelingly of uncertainty and the feeling that any time anything could happen. She preferred a consistent life style where everything went according to her plan. But with her mom's annoying job that forced the family to move all over Korea, it was impossible for HaNa and her sister to be in the same school for more than 1 year. She hated moving, it meant leaving memories and friends all behind. Luckily for her, this time, her mom only moved to another office and the only reason she transferred schools was because it was nearer to her mother's office.

HaNa hated new things, but she was certainly used to them.

Standing outside of the door, she took a deep breath, ignored the sickening of the knotting of her stomach and mentally reassured herself ' no one's starring at you ' countless of time. HaNa placed her sweaty hand on the door and opened it. All attention in the class was turned towards HaNa who was smiling meekly.

" Class, our class have a new student, " the teacher boomed loudly, before turning his attention back to HaNa who was desperately wiping her hands on her skirt. " Come on in and take a seat. "

HaNa slipped into the class, thanking God that she didn't have to do an introduction, a interview, with her teacher unlike her previous school. The lesson went on as if she didn't interrupt it and finally, HaNa calms down. This time, maybe she'll be able to fade into the background and be swallowed by the crowds, much like how she liked things. She just might go unnoticed. Might.

" Who is she ? " a drowsy voice asked from behind HaNa.

Another monotonous voice replied, " Oh you know, the new student. "

The new student, the nickname echoed in HaNa's head. Not knowing when, was it in middle school or was it in high school, that she started to hate being called the new student or the new kid ? Countless of times her classmate would call her ' new kid ' because they just didn't bother knowing her name, was it then ?

HaNa shook her head, clearing any thoughts and took the time to familiarize herself with the crammed room. After watching and studying human ( strangers ) behavior, her judgement of a person or a group of people was never wrong. At one glance, she could tell the 3 girls in the front row were only friends-in-name, the 5 boys behind her had enormous presence and her teacher was not a person to mess with. Within the 5 boys, she felt a familiar presence, as if she had met him before. Before curiosity could take over, she was distracted by her own wrists. The black lines danced in a seemingly happy way as it made intricate patterns all around her wrists.

' I wonder what's this about ? ' she thought to herself.


Yo hakiryu here with another update ^^
Tell me how you feel about this update in the comment, alright? 

- Hakiryu

PS. For fiercEMMA - length-y enough ? ahahaha