shadow prince

late like thunder
☆☆☆
 
on the edge of this world and the next, there is a spirit that jongdae calls his brother.
 
floating on a cluster of thick black clouds, there is a magnificent castle, spires twisting up into the air. lightning intermittently flashes among the clouds, lighting up the dark citadel for seconds at a time. jongdae always wondered why his brother had such a flair for dramatics, but he never bothered to question it.
 
jongdae floats up, staff in hand, through the tall black gates and along a path pebbled with dimming stars.
 
"jongin?" he calls.
 
the space in front of him seems to condense, then distort.
 
a tall, dark and elegant spirit pops into existence in front of him, black shadows permeating the air around him. surrounding him is a heavy aura of darkness, yet he wears a wide blinding grin, just for jongdae.
 
"brother!" he cheers. "come on up!". he floats along the path, gesturing for jongdae to follow.
 
"mmm..." jongdae hums as he follows, "i do like the new touches you've added to this place..."
 
"oh, sweetheart, thanks for that lightning by the way," jongin grinned, pointing to the thunder clouds floating around, "it really does add to that sinister vibe i'm trying achieve here."
 
"you? sinister?" jongdae laughed as he crossed the threshold, "give me a break."
 
he doesn't notice the nasty smirk thrown at his back, too busy admiring the interior of the castle.
 
"nice touch." he gestures to the huge black chandelier hanging from the ceiling.
 
jongin smiles, a normal smile this time and floats into the lounge. summoning a teaset and a plate of pastries, the brothers sit themselves gracefully onto the shadow prince's large setee.  
 
"so brother," jongin murmurs, "i don't think you've come here just to compliment my amazing designing skills."
 
"well..." jongdae shuffles awkwardly and chews nervously on a danish.
 
"come on," jongin coos and pats jongdae on the knee, "you can tell brother kai anything, you know that, dearie."
 
"well you see, there's this spirit who keeps following me," jongdae looks down at his knees, missing the way jongin's eyes start to narrow, "i dunno, i find him kind of scary? do you... do you happen to know who he is?" he looks up through his eyelashes at his brother, who immediately pins on a comforting smile.
 
"ah, i happen to know exactly who he is," jongin weaves slowly through the room, pretending to be deep in thought.
 
he's in front of jongdae in a flash, gripping his thin shoulders. "he's dangerous, very dangerous," black eyes boring into brown.
 
"you'd do good to stay away from him."
 
jongdae looks up at him with naive, trusting eyes, "you'll help me?"
 
jongin passes a hand over the lightning prince's hair, brushing the thin silver circlet as he does so.
 
"don't worry, darling. brother kai will take care of it."
 
☆☆☆