Chapter 1

Carnations

I close my eyes and I pray

I think about all the good old times we've had together. I think about all the crazy things we did. How did we end up in a situation like this today? 

Age 6

"Don't touch me you little girl!" He yelled as he shunned away from me, flinching as if I had hurt him badly. Staring up at his angry eyes, I started to tear up. All I wanted was to play with him - but why was he acting like this? It wasn't as if I had some contagious disease that he would get - well maybe cooties - but I didn't do anything bad!

Seeing my tear filled eyes, he started to look embarrassed. "Oh no, please don't cry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" I started bawling, and he panicked even more. His eyes darted around and spotted a daisy on the ground. Bending down, he picked it up, and tucked it into my hair. Shocked at his actions, my brawls became sobs. 

"Wh-What are you doing?" He smiled and held me hand. 

"Come on. Let's pick more flowers!" 

We spent the whole afternoon picking flowers around the field. Afterwards, we both sat down on the grass and began braiding the flowers into a floral crown. 

Placing it on my head, he smiled and hugged me. "Don't cry anymore okay? I promise that I'd never make you cry again!"

Age 12

February. The time where everyone is either getting ready to confess to someone, or to receive loads of confessions. As I laid in my bed, thinking of what I could possibly do, my mind wandered off to him. 

Him. The boy who promised that he'd never make me cry. Up to now, he has kept true to his words. I smiled as I looked at the picture of the two of us, side by side on a meadow, with me wearing yet another floral crown. Through the years, my love for flowers have never died off. While girls were busy chasing the Shinhwa oppas, I was usually at home, making more floral crowns with flowers he collected for me. 

Smiling to myself, I picked up yet another flower. Of course, I knew I wasn't in love with him. It was your everyday puppy love crush that you'd have on a cute boy that you see. I didn't like him to the extend that I would confess to him or anything. 

I turned around in my bed, and looked at the yellow carnation I had prepared for him. It was our tradition every year, to give each other a yellow carnation to represent our everlasting friendship. 

I just hoped that it was everlasting.