Chapter 4

Not How It Goes

I knew I could not kill Donghae (like that would help at all), but I could win Ryeowook’s heart! Being in love with Donghae was only hurting Ryeowook. I could see it. He stayed in his room more often and only came out for work, a walk or to use the restroom. This was even worse than when they had broken up.

One week had been enough and I resorted to dragging a blob out of the bed and his room. The fact that Donghae could do this to a man only made my covetous self mad. Sure, earlier I was jealous Donghae had Ryeowook, but now I was mad at the fact he had hurt him in such a way to gain this reaction. What would he do if he saw Ryeowook like this? Sneer and push him away? Would he be sympathetic and beg for forgiveness?

I highly doubt it with me still in the picture. Besides, Donghae is not going to come back. Ryeowook is going to be mine. For the next few days, Ryeowook had started coming out of his room. I would prefer it if he came out on his own, but this was good too. The next day Ryeowook asked if we had any paper. He guarded that paper with his life.

Every time I asked if I could see it, he would snap at me, glare or merely hug it to his chest with a look of security. Despite his behavior to the situation, we became closer than ever before. He never questioned the hand brushes, random back hugs or how we spent more time together than alone like usual. He would now visit me at work, sing along as I practiced violin, and cook me my favorite meals. My plans of winning his heart were going amazingly well.

One day, I experienced a random act of courage. Today would be the day I would ask Ryeowook out! I knew it! We both did not have to work today due to today being the weekend. The sound of constant honking beneath our balcony assured us that we were not getting anywhere today. I jumped out of bed, to seek Ryeowook out before I changed my mind.

He is not in his room nor the kitchen or dining room. I scanned the living room and found the balcony doors open. I peeked my head out, and there is Ryowook, a faint smile playing on his lips as he wrote on that piece of paper. I wrapped my arms around his neck and smiled as he jumped, hiding the piece of paper against his chest. I asked what he was doing with my arms still around his neck. “Dying,” he laughed, patting my arms, which I removed.

After permitted to come and sit next to him, I asked him once again what he was writing. With a blush, he revealed a love letter. My smile dissolved into a frown then into a scowl. I gripped the paper, crumbling it slightly with my hold. I yelled, telling him to get over Donghae before throwing it over the rails of the balcony. Ryeowook cried out, pushing past me as I watched it float into the racing cars below. Ryeowook was not getting that paper without killing himself. Ryeowook was not that desperate. Was he?

Did I feel bad about it? No, I did not because he needed to get over him. I saw Ryeowook emerge from the building, looking frantically for the letter. I scowled when he picked it up as the roads cleared as if they were against me. I took heed as I noticed Ryeowook was not moving. Why was not he moving?! I frantically searched as I found a truck heading his way. “RYEOWOOK, MOVE!” I screamed. My breath hitched.