Eight

Helpless When She Smiles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
EIGHT | She opens up just like a rose to me when she's close to me, anything she'd ask me to I would -

It was yet another active day at work.

 

Sunday meant that the girls were kept extra busy, running around taking orders and filling them as quickly as they could.

 

Wendy looked up from the cash register when she heard a loud bang on the counter, feeling a little irritated at the sight of Luhan. Every single one of their encounters had been painful so far. There was just a really irksome quality about him. It might particularly be due to the fact that he was dating the girl she loved.

 

“Yes, sir?” She managed as politely as she could.

 

“Do you have a hearing problem?” He demanded. The plastic cup in his hand filled with a pink slushy-like substance looked like it was going to be crushed out of shape any minute.

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“I asked for less sugar,” he went on in that degrading tone, trying to act as though he was better than everybody else.

 

“I believe I made it exactly as you requested, sir. That is less sugar.”

 

“No, it isn’t!” The boy barked, making Wendy jump a little. “You should really take your job a little more seriously. I could easily make a complaint to your manager. You wouldn’t want that now, would you?!”

 

The customer is always right. The customer is always right. Forget it, Wendy. Don’t cause yourself any trouble.

 

A long sigh escaped the girl’s lips as she bowed her head in defeat, “I’m really sorry, sir. I’ll replace your order.”

 

“You’d better not take all day. I’ll give you two minutes. God, this place ,” Luhan rolled his eyes and folded his arms, the cocky gesture adding to the sense of repulsion stirring in Wendy’s chest.

 

Before she could carry on, another voice intercepted, “Don’t talk to her like that.”

 

A familiar face appeared soon after.

 

Irene.

 

The boy’s features scrunched up even further as he grumbled, “Babe, would you stay out of this? It’s none of your business.”

 

“She is my business, Luhan. I don’t like the way you were speaking to her. Will you apologize?”

 

“What?!” Raw shock was written all over the boy’s face. “She messed up my order. Why should I apologize?”

 

Stubborn and extremely childish in every way.

 

“Will you just say you’re sorry? It’s really not that difficult,” Irene was especially insistent.

 

“What if I won’t?”

 

“Okay, I’ve had it,” Joy, who had been listening to everything, emerged from the kitchen and straightened her apron. “Look here, pretty boy. Why don’t you do us all a favor, take that disgusting attitude of yours, and get the f--”

 

“Watch your words, Joy,” Wendy warned.

 

“Ugh,” the girl almost growled in anger. “Just… just get the hell out of our café. We could really use fewer people like you.”

 

“Hah! Do you really think I enjoy seeing your stupid faces? I’m only here because of Irene,” Luhan turned to face his girlfriend expectantly, waiting for her to stand up for him. She should be on his side for obvious reasons.

 

“I think you should go. We’ll talk about this later,” Irene declared, defiant eyes glaring back at him coldly as though pushing him to leave.

 

The boy paused for a moment, eyes blazing like fire as disbelief surged through every vein in his being. Moments later, when Irene kept her stance firm, he realized that he was outnumbered and that he had lost. Holding back the profanity lingering on his lips, he snorted and took his leave silently.

 

“Is he going to be okay?” Wendy asked, feeling slightly guilty that he had left without his girlfriend.

 

“Who cares? Good riddance,” Joy stated bluntly as she picked up some glasses for cleaning.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter