One

Helpless When She Smiles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
ONE | She keeps her secrets in her eyes -

The glass doors of a posh little café swished open and in stepped a pair of sneaker-clad feet. The owner was a sharp-featured girl with flashy blonde hair elegantly parted to the side. As though by force of habit, she headed straight for the bench seat table in the corner and settled down smoothly. Peeking into her bag, she pulled out a pair of earphones and stuffed them on. Subsequently, a book was retrieved and peeled open.

 

A girl in a cap standing behind the cash register watched as the patron nodded her head up and down to the music, secretly wondering what she was listening to. She seemed to be too fascinated by the sight that she failed to notice her colleague sneaking up on her.

 

“Boo!”

 

The girl jumped in surprise, head snapping towards the source of disruption, “Joy! How many times have I told you not to do that?”

 

“Staring at the ice queen again, huh?” A girl with reddish hair and chubby cheeks snickered at her friend, reveling in the mild sense of accomplishment she derived from executing a perfect scare.

 

“She’s beautiful, Joy.”

 

“I get it, Wendy. You say that all the time. I could do with hearing it one time less.” A wave of the hand accompanied the indifferent response.

 

The girl named Wendy said nothing else in return. Instead, she grabbed a rag and started polishing the countertop; she made sure her eyes darted up every now and then to peer at the blonde, who was now tapping her feet together to the beat.​

 

“She seems kinda lonely, though,” Joy started seconds later, draping a heavy arm over her friend’s shoulders.

 

“She’s waiting for her friend,” Wendy answered matter-of-factly.

 

As if on cue, the glass doors swung open again and a girl that looked familiar to Wendy yet completely foreign to Joy entered.

 

The latter’s jaw fell open slightly at the eerily accurate prediction, “Somebody’s quite the stalker.”

 

Wendy grinned at her friend’s rash statement, “That’s a strong word. I’d prefer to call myself observant.”

 

“Whatever,” Joy shuddered. “I need the restroom. Be right back, creeper.”

 

Wendy’s gaze remained fixated on the blonde girl as her friend approached her, and she felt her pulse race when the girl pushed her book aside and jumped up to give said friend a tight hug.

 

As she did, her lips pulled into one of the most gorgeous, blinding smiles Wendy had ever seen. It had an odd effect over her mind and body, an effect which she could do nothing about. Her head spun, her heartbeat accelerated, and her legs felt as though they would give way any time.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter