And the heart beats fast

Incurable Love

"As a multiple myeloma patient, Jinhee will have several surgery and we'll check her condition after we do all the surgery. The first surgery was a success, and we will do the second in a month,"

 

The doctor gave an explain to the result of Jinhee's body scan to her parents. Jinhee was there too, but she couldn't understand what the doctor said. All she knew was getting surgery again.

 

She was on mental breakdown because she thought she only had to go through surgery once. Jina hold her hands, she knew it was hard for her younger twin.

 

"Jinhee, did you have any symptoms like headache or you want to throw up lately?" the doctor said. Jinhee shook head, she lied in front of her family and doctor.

 

Doctor smiled to her, "that's good. If anything happened to you, please tell me right away. For now, we are sure that the cancer isn't in other part of body,".

 

Suddenly, she was afraid. What if the headache and vomit she had last time were bad signs?

 

She shook head to erase the bad think she had.

 

It was the usual sickness I had. Nothing to worry, Jinhee.

 

======

 

Alone in the room. Jinhee decided to go to rooftop for a while. Her parents and Jina interdicted her to go to rooftop as Jinhee had a fear of height, and they worried if Jinhee went there.

 

But Jinhee sometimes was naughty. She went to the rooftop, as she thought she could just stand near the door to rooftop and not seeing the city below her. It wasn't scared her, actually.

 

She just only wanted to have fresh air for 10 minutes.

 

She was confused when she saw the door to rooftop was opened. She wondered who was on the rooftop before her.

 

The girl saw a boy in hospital pajama like her , and with a crutch on his left viewing the city from above. Jinhee felt familiar to the figure, so she called him.

 

The boy turned around when he was called, and they both were surprised to see each other.

 

"you?" they both said in the same time. The boy chuckled, and it made Junhee to laugh too.

 

"Nice to meet you here," said Jinhee bowed. The boy bowed hardly because of the crutch. "It's nice to see you too. Jina, right?" he asked. Jinhee smiled widely, she was happy to know the boy didn't forget her 'fake' name.

 

"Yes, Dujun-ssi. What happen to your leg?" Jinhee just shot the question.

 

"Wow. So straight. It's okay, tho. I was getting on accident, and yeah, my leg was hurt a little bit," he was embarrassed to tell her.

 

"And you? You are a patient too? If I'm not wrong, aren't your parents working here?" he asked.

 

Shoot. He remembered everything she told, made her heart beat fast. She didn't know what's the exact reason of her beating heart.

 

"A-- ah yes. I just have an illness, not a serious one. My-- my parents take care of me as the doctors too," she pretended to laugh, but the boy just really laughed.

 

Dujun realized Jinhee didn't approach him or get closer to him, so he asked her to be near him. Because talking on such a distance wasn't confortable enough for both of them.

 

"No, I have fear on height," she confessed.

 

A laugh came out again from Dujun. "Then why you are here, actually?"

 

Jinhee just rubbed the back of her neck. She just wants to breathe some fresh air, that's all. Even though she has fear on height.

 

It turned out the boy who approached her, and stood beside her.

 

"Can we sit right here, then talk again?" he asked. Jinhee was agreeing him, and they sat near the door. Dujun hardly sat on the floor, and Jinhee helped him to put the clutch beside him.

 

"So--- you are in this hospital since the day we met, Jina-ssi?" Dujun asked. Jinhee nodded, "Yes. I had a check-up and then they told me I had an illness that I needed to stay here,".

 

"Can I know what illness? It couldn't be a serious one, right?"

 

Jinhee shook head while smiling, "like I said, it's not a serious one. And, can I not to tell you my illness? I like to keep it secret,".

 

Dujun nodded, "of course, you can. Sorry for asking it,".

 

The girl smiled to say 'it's okay'.

 

Jinhee then remembered about the girl named Mira, his girlfriend. She asked Dujun about it, and a sigh let out from his mouth.

 

"She actually cheated on me, because I saw her with another boy intimately walking side by side on the street. I saw that right after I took you to the hospital,"

 

Jinhee didn't know she should happy or sad to hear the story. She didn't have good impression either to Mira. The girl was just silent.

 

Dujun realized the 'I-don’t-know-what-to-do' Jinhee and he giggled. He then kiddingly said it was Jinhee's fault to make him go to hospital.

 

"If I didn't go to hospital, I wouldn't see that moment," he said.

 

Jinhee protested, "how can it was my fault? Isn't it better to know earlier the truth?". Dujun laughed hard when he saw Jinhee pouted, the girl really took it seriously while he was trying to joke.

 

"I was joking, Jina-ssi," he said as he patted Jinhee's head.

 

Then he realized what had he done.

 

Jinhee was becoming a statue. Dujun was embarrassed, he wished to disappear right now because he had done something stupid.

 

Patting a girl you barely met for the second time wasn't a good move.

 

"eum," Jinhee tried to break the ice even though she hadn't succeed yet to calm her heart.

 

Luckily, a rain drops one by one and broke the awkward moment they had.

 

"S--should we go back now?" Dujun was stuttering on his words, showing his nervous side. Jinhee nodded, she thought she had passed her time to go out now. It was already more than 10 minutes, and she was afraid to get caught by her family.

 

Jinhee helped Dujun stand, and their body was so close as Jinhee felt the breath of his above her head. Dujun's eyes was staring at Jinhee, and Jinhee could feel it.

 

The girl pulled her body away from Dujun, when she thought Dujun was already on his balance.

 

"Thanks," Dujun thanked. Jinhee nodded, but she couldn’t saw him on eyes. She was busy of calming her heart and mind.

 

Dujun and Jinhee was parting away on the corridor, but before that they had promise to see each other again on rooftop tomorrow afternoon.