Chapter Three

Incongruent

 

 

JIYONG

 

2003

 

Jiyong clicked his tongue in stress as their Literature teacher announced a ‘special’ activity he has for them.

 

 

Mr. Lee was making the class memorize a poem. The only good thing is that they can choose any poem they would like to recite. One of the bad things is that the poem should not have less that five stanzas.

 

 

“You’re going to forget everything I teach you anyway…” He said as he started massaging his chin. Something he likes to do whenever he tells the class an activity or an assignment or anything. “Maybe you’ll remember how Romeo and Juliet’s love story ended. Maybe that. But you will not remember other characters.”

 

 

Everyone inside the classroom were bewildered. They did not expect Mr. Lee to say something so truthful. There was a reason why he is Jiyong’s favorite anyway.

 

 

Jiyong, however, was drawing himself talking in-front of the class whenever it is his time to recite without being funny.

 

 

“But everything else? Forget about it. Forget about them.” Mr. Lee was slowly walking around the classroom. He likes to do things like this, like he was in a play.

 

 

Mr. Lee stopped next to Jiyong’s desk and leaned in casually with his hand on the back of his student’s chair. Jiyong stopped drawing and sat up straight. He couldn’t draw himself beautifully, anyway. He can’t imagine how he will be serious.

 

 

“So, you’re going to memorize a poem.” Mr. Lee continued, pausing a moment to smile down at Jiyong like he was a lost child.

 

 

“Smart people appreciate poetry. They are those stuff that will make your brains work more. The more you read the more you try to understand things.” Mr. Lee said as he continued walking pass through Jiyong.

 

 

Now he is free to breathe.

 

 

“Then by the time you see me when you are older and successful, you are going to tell me. ‘Hey, Mr. Lee I still remember Invictus.’”

 

 

“Out of the night that covers me,” He started reciting as he started clapping his hands, trying to have a rhythm. “Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul…”

 

 

He stopped as he moved to Chaerin’s desk and tapped the girl’s shoulder. “Nobody is allowed to use “Invictus,” anyway. I’m tired hearing that poem. Come on, you are all adults. Choose an adult poem.”

 

 

“Mr. Lee, are there any suggestions on what poem we should use?” Bom raised her hand and asked.

 

 

“Hmm…” Mr. Lee thought for a moment. “Use a romantic poem. A poem about love. That is my advice.” He said.

 

 

“Are there any particular reason why love is best suited?” It was now Youngbae who asked the question.

 

 

“Those are the poems that will help you most.” Mr. Lee said and the bell rang. “I will call you next week one by one. No particular day. Goodbye.” He said before going out of the classroom.

 

 

When Mr. Lee was out, everybody inside the classroom groaned and Jiyong immediately walked towards Chaerin.

 

 

“He’s cruel isn’t he?” He said.

 

 

“I think you are crueler.” She said as she giggled.

 

 

“Hey, what did I do?” He asked her.

 

 

“You turned down my proposal. I was hurt.” Chaerin honestly told him.

 

 

Flashback

 

 

“Here is me.” Chaerin stopped at her track.

 

 

“Oh.” Jiyong stopped also. “Goodbye then.” He waited for Chaerin to enter the house’s gate before he started walking again.

 

 

“Ji!” He heard his name being called by Chaerin and he turned around to look at her.

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

“Can you be my best friend?” Chaerin asked him.

 

 

Jiyong looked at her, shocked visible on his face.

 

 

“No—I mean not yet.” He said.

 

 

“Why? Is it because I am not a serious type of person? I am serious, believe me.” Chaerin pouted.

 

 

“No, not that. I mean, I don’t want to be your best friend because you and Dara are not in good terms right now. I want to be your best friend because you are comfortable with me and we have something deeper.” Jiyong explained.

 

 

“Oh…kay. I will go home now.” Chaerin looked down and walked silently to her house’s direction and Jiyong did not dare to call her again.

 

 

End of flashback

 

 

“Hey it’s not like I turned you down. I said not yet.” Jiyong told her and Chaerin grinned.

 

 

“So… we can be best friends?” She hopefully asked.

 

 

“Why not?” He shrugged his shoulders and Chaerin smiled at him widely.

 

 

“So now I have an almost best friend. And I need to wait for just a few weeks so we can be best friends.” She dreamily said.

 

 

“Few weeks, huh? That’s a short period of time.”Jiyong teased.

 

 

“I don’t care. We are going to be best friends in weeks.” Chaerin giggled.

 

 

“By the way, what poem are you going to recite?” He asked her.

 

 

“Hmm…” She started thinking. “I actually cannot think of anything right now but I will try to find something later. You?”

 

 

“I don’t have any idea on what I should recite. I am not the kind of person who do things like that.” He admitted.

 

 

“Why not? Boys who recite poems look cool and it is romantic.” Chaerin said.

 

 

“It is because look at me as if I am joking. They do not take me seriously.” Jiyong complained.

 

 

“It is because you are funny yourself.” She laughed at him. “Whatever you do is naturally funny.”

 

 

“See? That is why I don’t like reciting poems nor reading things in-front of the class.” He told her.

 

 

“Sorry, okay. Why don’t you practice hard and let us see if you will still look funny when you rehearsed something?” Chaerin suggested.

 

 

“Well that is a good idea.” Jiyong pointed out.

 

 

“Try to use a romantic poem. We need to see another side of you, Kwon.” She said.

 

 

“What side of me do you guys know?” He asked.

 

 

“Of course the funny one.” Chaerin laughed again.

 

 

“There you are again.” He whined. “I am being serious here.”

 

 

“Sorry, sorry…” Chaerin stopped laughing.

 

 

“You need to take me seriously.” Jiyong told her.

 

 

“I will try but I cannot promise I can.” Chaerin said.

 

 

“Whatever. Now can you teach how did you get the answer in our activity in Calculus?” He asked.

 

 

“More like, you want to see my solution so you can copy?” She and he grinned at her.

 

 

“Awww. So smart, Chaerin. So smart.” He said as he pinched her cheek.

 

 

“That hurts.” She rubbed her cheek.

 

 

“Sorry…” He said. “Now, please let me copy.” He grinned at her as Chaerin gave him her notebook.