Chapter Two

Incongruent

 

CHAERIN

 

2000

 

 

It was the first day of class. Chaerin’s first day in middle school and she knew nothing about her school. Although her family moved a few weeks ago, she is still clueless about how things in Gongju works.

 

 

Thirty-six, they are thirty-six in their class. Chaerin looked around to see if there are any familiar face but there was none.

 

 

‘What was I expecting anyway?’ She asked herself as she slumped on her chair. Everyone around her were already talking, trying to know each other but none was approaching her.

 

 

“Hello…” She heard someone say from her back. “Hey, it’s too early don’t sleep.” The voice’s owner said and nudged her. Chaerin looked at the person who was talking to her. “Hello again. I am Kwon Jiyong.” The guy who has a lanky physique said as he offered his hand to her.

 

 

“My… my name is Chaerin. Lee Chaerin.” She answered as she took his hand. Jiyong smiled at her and so did she.

 

 

Chaerin was about to say something but someone called Jiyong.

 

 

“Talk to you later.” He said before walking away and Chaerin cannot help but sigh.

 

 

‘I almost had a friend but, just like the other times.’ She sighed for the second time that day.

 

 

Their adviser, who is in her forties entered their classroom. Chaerin cannot remember anything about her, all she knows is that she is Miss Park and she has her hair below her chest. She has white hair sticking out of the surface and her voice is quite soft. She is a pretty domesticated woman all-in-all.

 

 

“You are the cream of the crop…” Miss Park started talking about the expectations but Chaerin is not listening. She was sitting at the back right side and she has no complain. Her eyes scanned her classmates and they were all listening attentively.

 

 

She sighed for the nth time.

 

 

‘How will I be able to survive this?’ She asked herself.

 

 

It was break time and she was left inside their classroom with some of her classmates.

 

 

“Hi. My name is Park Bom.” A girl who was wearing glasses said.

 

 

“Lee Chaerin.” She said timidly as she smiled at Park Bom.

 

“You’re not much of a talker, are you?” Bom asked her.

 

 

“Well… I am talkative sometimes.” She said and giggled. “And people say I laugh a lot.”

 

 

“I can see that.” Bom said, pointing out what she saw. “Do you know our classmates yet?”

 

 

“I know you and Jiyong. He talked to me this morning.” She told Bom.

 

 

“So… I am one of your first friends here?”

 

 

“My first friend actually.” Chaerin pointed out. “Jiyong just asked my name but never talked to me about anything so that counts as an acquaintance.”

 

 

“I see.” Bom said. “Let’s buy, I am hungry.”

 

 

“Okay.” Chaerin said as she followed Bom.

 

 

Class ended and nothing much happened during the day and sadly, Chaerin cannot go home with Bom today because she has some important matters to attend to so she is considering her options.

 

 

One. She can walk from their school to their house. She can have exercise and she can have time to think about things but, she doesn’t know the way and she has no idea what path she has to take.

 

 

Two. She can text her mom to fetch her. She can save money and she can ask her mom to buy a snack for her without spending a cent but, she doesn’t have a phone at the moment.

 

 

“You are too young to own a phone…” She can recall how her parents scolded her when she asked them to buy her a new phone.

 

 

Three. She can call her dad. Ha. She doesn’t have a phone.

 

 

Chaerin was sitting on one of the benches thinking on how on earth she could go home when someone called her.

 

 

“Chaerin.” She looked at Jiyong who was the owner of the voice. “Classmate, aren’t you going home?” He asked her and she just nodded.

 

 

“It’s going to be dark soon.” He stated obviously.

 

 

“I—“Chaerin’s cheek turned red in embarrassment. “—I don’t know how.”

 

 

“Oh…” Jiyong said in realization. “You are new here aren’t you?” He asked and Chaerin nodded. He offered his hand to her and she took it. “Come on, I’ll send you home.”

 

 

They were walking silently until he broke the silence.

 

 

“I don’t know your house either.” He said and she just looked at him.

 

 

“You did not ask me.” She answered him and he laughed.

 

 

“Do you have a phone?” He asked her and she shook her head. “Do you know your mother’s phone number?” She nodded her head.

 

 

Jiyong got his phone in his pocket and gave it to her.

 

 

“Call or text your mom, tell her that you are going to wait here in… uhm—“He looked around to see where they are. “—you are going to wait at the mini-store near the flower shop.”

 

 

“Okay.” She got his phone and texted her mom. “My mom said that this shop is three blocks away from our house.” She said returning his phone.

 

 

“Oh, so shall I walk you home?” He offered.

 

 

“No thanks.” Chaerin declined. “You’ve helped me enough.”

 

 

“Are you sure you won’t be lost?” Jiyong asked.

 

 

“Don’t worry, I am not that bad with directions.” She smiled at him.

 

 

“If that is what you want.” He said.

 

 

“Thank you, Jiyong.” Chaerin told him. “Like really thank you.” She repeated.

 

 

“No problem.” He said smiling at her.

 

 

“I shall get going.” She said.

 

 

“Me too.” He chuckled.

 

 

“Yes, it’s late. Your mother must be looking for you right now.” Chaerin started to worry. “I’m sorry Jiyong.”

 

 

“No, it’s just a simple thing. And don’t worry…” He showed her his phone. “I have my phone with me.”

 

 

She nodded in understanding.

 

 

“I should really get going. Thank you Jiyong, goodbye!” She cheerfully waved her hand at him as he looked at her.

 

 

Chaerin was more than ten steps away when Jiyong talked.

 

 

“Goodbye, classmate!”

 

 

And Chaerin thought, that it was not a bad day all in all.