Vacation

Vacation

​After arriving at your vacation destination and checking into your hotel, you immediately got ready for the beach.  You put on shorts and a t-shirt over your swimsuit, grabbed a towel and sunscreen, and headed to the beach behind your hotel.  You set your blanket down in a semi-shaded spot and forgetting about putting on sunscreen, you ran into the water.  

The coldness was shocking, but you gritted your teeth and submerged you body and headed under the turquoise waves.  You opened your eyes and looked around.  You spotted a rather large object by a reef, and curious, you swam out further to investigate.  As you neared it, you were shocked to find that it was a man, sitting on the floor of the ocean.

​His eyes were shut, a peaceful smile was settled on his face.  The currents in the water swirled around him, causing his silky brown hair to float around his head, creating a halo.  His beauty was stunning, unlike any man you'd ever seen before.  His eyes flashed open, showing beautiful brown orbs full of serenity.  You gasped, forgetting you were underwater, and received a lung-full of water.  Panicking, you forgot about the underwater man and furiously headed to the surface.  Just when you thought you weren't going to make it, you felt a strong grip on your waist, pulling you to the surface. You gasped for air, but your lungs were still full of water.  The grip that was still around your waist quickly started pulling you across the water.  Starting to black out, you looked to see who was holding you.  It was him.  The underwater man.  You let yourself relax the best you could.  You coughed, hoping to rid your lungs of the water.  Feeling rough sand against the back of your legs, your body freely spasmed into coughing fits, only to be held down by the stranger.

 

​"Trust me." His voice was soft and caring, and if you weren't dying, it would have melted your insides.  You nodded, unable to say anything due to your coughing.  You felt blackness start to cross your vision when you felt a strange sensation in your chest.  The stranger's eyebrows were furrowed in concentration, and his hands were hovering by your cheeks.  You could feel the water inside your lungs rushing about.  It slowly traveled through your throat and exited through your mouth, but instead of falling to the sand, the water was floating just above your head, forming a small orb.  Thr last of the water exited your lungs and you gasped greedily for air.  The stranger had his hands underneath the orb, as if he was holding it, but quickly let the orb dissolve and splash over his hands.  You sat up, your lungs and throat burning from the salty water.  The stranger helped you sit up with a worried look on his face.

 

​"Are you alright?" You could only nod, not trusting your voice.

 

​"How did you do that?" you managed to croak out, wincing at the stinging pain in your throat. The stranger looked at you thoughtfully for a second, then grabbed your hand and pulled you up to stand.

 

​"Lets go get some ice-cream for your throat." was his only reply.  You followed him across the beach, walking towards an ice-cream stand in the distance.  You were suddenly conscious of his hand lightly wrapped around you wrist.  You felt your face start to flush from the skin contact with the handsome stranger.  He suddenly stopped and turned to look at you.  He smiled, an angelic grin graced his face, turning his eyes into crescents.

 

​"I never got your name." he stated.

 

​"_-_____." you stuttered.  If possible, his smile got larger.

 

​"That’s a beautiful name. Suitable for a beautiful girl like you." His cheeks turned slightly pink. Using his free hand, he covered his face shyly and continued walking towards the ice-cream stand.

 

​"What about your name?  And what was it you did back there?"

 

​"I'll tell you after we get some ice-cream for your throat.". Your hand fluttered to your throat.  You had forgotten about the pain.  The two of the you reached the ice-cream stand.  You were deep in your thoughts about the handsome stranger when a slight nudging against your shoulder startled you out of your thoughts.  You turned to him, and seeing him nod his head down, you glanced down to see him holding out an ice-cream cone. You sheepishly took the cone from him and mumbled a thanks.

 

​"Let's go sit down and talk.". Wanting to find answers, you quickly agreed.  The two of you silently walked, eating your ice-cream, until you reached a small picnic table.  You sat down and he sat down across from you.

 

​"Well first, thank you for saving my life." you stated. "Second, what's your name? Third, how did you do it?"

 

He chuckled before replying. "First," he said, smiling, "You're very welcome.  Second, my name is Suho."  Suho. You'd remember that. "And third," He looked down at the table and blushed. "Well,...I guess I should tell you since there's no way to explain what happened any other way...I can..." Suho cleared his throat and squirmed, looking uncomfortable "I can control water."

 

​"So you're a superhero?" If you hadn't seen it, you would have never believed him.

 

​"No." He chuckled. "I keep it to myself, really.  Unless there's someone in trouble."

 

​"Like me?"

 

​"Like you."

 

​You started eating your ice-cream, trying to think of more questions to ask.

 

​"So what about you?" You glanced up, startled at the sudden question.

 

​"What do you mean?" You were slightly confused.

 

​"Why did you almost drown?"

 

​"Oh.  You startled me."

 

​"I startled you? How?"

 

​"Well just...." You thought for a second. "Well, I don't know.  You just startled me."

 

​"Is my beauty really that effective?" He smirked.

 

​"What?" You laughed. "Are you serious?"

 

​He laughed. "No. I'm just joking." He smiled, and you stared in awe at how beautiful he was.  You felt something cold dribble across your hand, shocking you out of yet another daydream.  Looking down, you saw that your ice-cream had started melting and a stream of it was sliding down your hand.  As you were it off, a sudden question came to your mind.

 

​"Why me?"

 

​"Huh?"

 

​"Why did you show me, of all people, your powers?"

 

​"Hmmm..." He thought about it for a second. "Because I like you."

 

​"You like me?"

 

​"Yeah.  And I feel comfortable around you."

 

​"But you didn't know me before I almost drowned."

 

​He blushed slightly and didn't answer, instead ate more of his ice-cream.  After a couple minutes of silence, he spoke up. ​"Would it be weird to say that I felt like we had a connection?"

​You glanced up at him and saw that he was blushing, not looking up from his ice-cream.  You pondered the question while staring at your own half eaten ice-cream.

​"No." You decided. "It's not weird." He smiled and happily ate the last bit of his cone.  As you finished your cone, a tall teenage boy ran over to your table, and stood, crouched over and holding onto the side of the table, trying to catch his breath.  You looked over at Suho and you could see that he looked slightly annoyed. The boy finally stood up and you could see that he was also very handsome.

 

​"Thuho hyung," he began, slightly out of breath.  He glanced at you, and continued in a not so quiet whisper. "Kyungthoo hyung ith throwing thand at Jongin again."

 

Suho sighed.

 

​"Well he probably did something to deserve it."

 

​"True.  He did. But Baekhyun hyung told me to come and take you away from your girlfriend tho you can thave Jongin."

 

​Suho blushed and quietly mumbled, "She's not my girlfriend." He glanced at you, then at the boy. He threw you an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I should probably go deal with my KIDS." He put emphasis on the last word and narrowed his eyes at the boy.  The boy's eyes widened and he turned and ran off, probably the sand-throwing boy and his friends.  Suho sat back down and sighed, his head in his hands.

 

​"Are they like you?"

 

​He smiled. "Yeah. Yeah they are." You lightly scratched the back of your head.

 

​"You should probably get back to them."

 

​He sighed again. "Yeah, I probably should." He stood up, and you stood up as well. "We probably won't see each other again." He frowned and looked at the ground.

​If that's the case, you thought, and in a burst of bravery, you walked over to him and lightly kissed his cheek.  He looked at you, startled.

 

​"Thank you." You shyly looked at the ground. "For saving my life, and trusting me with your secret, and for buying me ice-cream.". He gently lifted your chin, making you look at him.  His smile was dazzling.

 

​"You are very welcome." He leaned in, your faces getting closer.  You felt your face heat up and your eyes fluttered close.  But before your lips could meet, a shriek startled the two of you, causing you to jump apart.  You looked for the source of the loud sound and saw the boy from before being chased by a smaller boy.  Suho sighed and dropped his head to his chest.  You chuckled at the sight of the boys.  They ran over to the two of you, and the taller boy hid behind Suho, using him as a barricade.  The smaller boy looked terrifying, his large eyes squinted into slivers.  If looks could kill, the other boy would have been long gone by now.

 

​"What is the problem NOW?" Suho looked irritated.

 

​"Sehun threw water at me and yelled 'By the name of awthome, releathe Kyungthoo, you demonth!'"

 

​The kid, Sehun, chuckled.  Suho turned to him and glared. "Say you're sorry."

 

​Sehun glared at the shorter boy, Kyungsoo you were guessing.  Sehun huffed and crossed his arms.  Kyungsoo waited expectantly.

 

​"Thorry, hyung, for not getting demon out.". Sehun smirked. Kyungsoo's eyes widened.

 

​"No kimchi spaghetti for you!" He yelled before chasing a now shrieking Sehun down the beach. Suho sighed and grinned at you apologetically.

 

​"They seem like a fun group of guys." You smiled.  Suho chuckled and rubbed the back of his head.

 

​"You have no idea."

 

​You both stood there in an awkward silence for a couple minutes before Suho spoke up.  "Do you have a phone?"

 

​"Yeah."

 

​"Can I get your number?" Suho looked slightly flustered, "You know, so we can meet up again?" Suho continued, rambling.

 

​You interrupted. "Do you have a pencil and paper?"

 

​He paused and blankly looked down at his black tee and pocket-less swim shorts.  He looked back up at you.

 

​"No.". He frowned. You giggled. "But I'm good at memorizing." He stated cheerfully.  You told him your number and after repeating it a couple times, he memorized it.

 

​"You had better get back to your friends before they kill each other." You laughed.   He agreed and you both went your separate ways.  As you were walking back to your discarded towel and sunscreen, you heard Suho calling after you.  You stopped and turned around to see Suho running up to you.  You looked at him quizzically as he caught his breath.

 

​"I'll text you later, okay?"

 

​"Okay." You smiled and he leaned in and kissed your forehead.

 

​"Don't get in any trouble." He smiled and ran back to a cheering Sehun and Kyungsoo.  You giggled and walked back to your towel, daydreaming about the underwater stranger.