chapter 1

a Winter's Tale (DISCONTINUED)

Just another ordinary day at 'Baekguri Kindergarten' in Seoul. Children were running and playing excitedly in the kindergarten. Some of them were playing see-saw, slides, or probably just running around the school, chasing each other.

 

 

"Baekji-ah! Be careful, okay!" Said a teacher named Taeyeon to a little boy who chase his friend.

"Yes, seonsaengnim!" 

 

  Meanwhile, next to Taeyeon. Stood a man with baby blue hair. He wears a simple white shirt and dark blue trousers. A smile was formed on his face when seeing the children. 

 

"Oh, Kuroko!" Taeyeon got surprised when she found out the man was standing next to her all the time. It seems like she didn't notice him before. 

 

"I didn't know you were there!"

The man who called 'Kuroko' chuckled. "I get that a lot."

"Really?"

"Yeah. people often didn't feel my prescence at first."

Taeyeon laughed awkwardly, "Ah.. i have to get used with that."

 

  It took a few seconds of silence before Taeyeon opens up another conversation.

"You know, we wouldn't expect a young man would register here as a teacher. How old are you, Kuroko?"

"I'm 23." The blue-haired man simply replied.

"You're from Japan, right? How long have you stayed in Korea?"

The young man pressed his lips into a straight line. "Um.. 1, 2.. around 10 months."

"Woah.. that's longer than i thought!"

 

Kuroko scratched the back of his neck, grinning. "I still have to learn korean harder."

"Hahaha, i can see that."

 

The name is Kuroko Tetsuya. He moved to South Korea for educational reasons. Different with other college students who took a part-time job as fastfood restaurant's workers or café staffs, Kuroko chooses to be a kindergarten teacher. Because he really loves kids and it was his dream since he was younger.

 

"Kuroko seonsaengnim~"  a little girl ran happily to Kuroko. 

Kuroko bent down so he's at the eye-level with the little girl. "Yes?"

The little girl, Nahyun grinned before offers him a cookie. "Do you want some?"

Kuroko chuckled and took the cookie. "Thank you~"

 

  Nahyun put her hands behind her back, swinging her body slowly like little girls usually do when they're shy. "Why did you dye your hair blue?"

"Ani, this is natural." Kuroko replied.

The little girl giggled. "You're lying!" 

"No, i'm not! Why would i lie to you?"

 

  Nahyun tilted her head, giving Kuroko the i-don't-believe-in-you look. Then Kuroko knelt before her. "Do you want to touch it?"

Nahyun giggled again, and put her tiny hands to his hair. Happily ruffling Kuroko's hair.

"Uwah~ it's so soft!"

"I know, right? It won't be this soft if it's not natural."

Nahyun's eyes sparkled, seemed amazed by the fact that Kuroko told her. "So, it's real?!"

"Uh-huh."

"Woah~ that's amazing!"

 

  Kuroko only chuckled upon her reaction.

 

"You know, seonsaengnim. Your accent is funny." She suddenly commented.

"Hehe, i'll try to fix it, then. So i'll speak like a real korean."

"That's a promise, okay?" Said Nahyun. And Kuroko nodded as an answer.

"Okay! Bye, seonsaengnim~~" and so the little girl left him and Taeyeon.

 

  Taeyeon looked at Kuroko in disbelief. "That hair is real?"

Instead of answering, Kuroko took out his handphone. He pressed the screen a few times before showing it to Taeyeon. A baby photo was shown on the screen, it's Kuroko when he was a baby. Taeyeon once again surprised because his hair is blue as well in that photo. Seeing the fact that it's impossible for a baby to dye his hair, now she believes him.

 

"I thought you dyed your hair." She commented.

"Yeah, i get that a lot."

 

Taeyeon chuckled softly. "Well.. it's really nice to meet you, Kuroko." She placed a hand on Kuroko's shoulder. "Welcome to Baekguri Kindergarten."

 

Kuroko smiled, "Thank you, Taeyeon-san."

"Taeyeon-san?"

"E-eh.. i mean- Taeyeon-ssi!" Kuroko instantly corrected himself. "Sorry, i'm just too into the atmosphere so-"

"Haha, don't worry." Said Taeyeon. "You can call me that if you want."

"Ah, okay."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

 

"Yah, Kangjun, wait for me!"

 

 

  "Seohyunnie! Don't you want to have breakfast first?" Asked Yoona while putting a plate of waffles, looking at her sister, Seohyun who rushed to the door, putting on her shoes.

 

   "Nope, eonnie. I'm not hungry!" Seohyun replied.

"Aish, but you'll be hungry later! Take one!" Said Yoona.

Seohyun huffed, but eventually she walked towards her.

"Here, take two for Kangjun as well." Said Yoona. The younger girl nodded and took two waffles. "I'm going!" She then ran out off the house.

 

 

  Seohyun increased her pace when she saw the bus that almost going. "Ahjussi, wait!" She hopped into the bus before the bus went off. She took a seat next to her younger brother, Kangjun.

 

"You already paid for me, right?" Asked Seohyun.

Kangjun raised his eyebrows. "What? No."

The girl huffed. "Aish.." She was about to took out her bus card but Kangjun laughed, and stops her.

"Haha.. i'm kidding, noona. I've already paid for you."

 

  Seohyun pouted, "Here." She then gave the waffle to Kangjun. As they began to eat their waffles while having a chat.

 

  Seo Joohyun, but people often call her Seohyun. Well, except for her brother Kangjun who called her 'Joohyun'. She's 22 year old, a student of Yonsei University along with her brother. Beside college student, she also works at a bakery.

 

  Kangjun huffed. "Summer flies so fast.."

"Yeah." Seohyun agreed. "So, have you found a job?"

The younger man nodded. "I got one at a café. But, yeah.. as a garbage boy, like usual."

"Hmm.. again?"

"Nah, it's just for increasing my allowance, right?"

"Yeah, but still. Don't you want to try other jobs?"

Kangjun heaved a sigh, closing his eyes while resting his head against the seat. "One day, noona. I will build my own company. And it'll be much more successful than any other companies that exist now."

  The girl giggled. "Then you have to study harder. So you can reach that dream of yours."

"Yeah.."

 

 

  Around 15 minutes later, the bus has finally arrived at their college, Yonsei University. They jumped out of the bus and entered the gate.

 

"Yo yo yo! What's up, Kangjun-ah!" A man around Kangjun's age came up to them while giving Kangjun a high-five.

 

"Hey, Taemin." Kangjun greeted back.

"Oh, who's this? You got a new girl, huh?" Taemin smirked while pointing at Seohyun. Making the girl trying hard to hold her laugh.

 

Kangjun chuckled. "Ani, she's my noona."

Taemin looked surprised when Kangjun told him that. "Ah, really?" He scratched his head awkwardly. "Sorry, sunbae. I thought you guys are dating-"

  "Haha, no that's okay. You're not the only one who thought that." Said Seohyun, trying to ease the situation. Taemin could only grinned. "Let's go, Kangjun-ah!" He grabbed Kangjun's hand and dragged him away, probably still embarrased because of what he said before. 

 

  "E-eh, okay. Bye, noona!" Said Kangjun from afar. Seohyun smiled without her knowing, and walking towards the door.

 

 

"Seohyun-ah~" Greeted her friend, Yoojin as Seohyun walks through the corridor.

"Oh, hi." Seohyun replied with a smile. Yoojin gave her a cup of coffee, "Here, i brought you some coffee."

"Aww, thanks Jinnie." And so they walk together their class. Jang Yoojin is.. well we can say Seohyun's bestest friend. They've been friends for almost 7 years. Yoojin is often mistaken as Seohyun's sister, because they're very close.

 

 

 

 

  After going through mentally exhausting class, Seohyun went to a place she works at.

 

 

~Sweet&Love Bakery~

 

 

 

 

"Yes, that would be.. 5500 won." Said Seohyun. And the customer gave the money to her.

 

  "Thank you, have a nice day~" she said again with wide smile, like the way she'd been told when she was training. Seohyun was about to serve another customer, but her staffmate, Dara suddenly called her. While peeking out from the kitchen.

 

"Seohyun-ah! Can you come here?"

"Ah, yes. Please wait for a moment, sir." She told the customer before walking towards Dara.

 

"What's going on, eonnie?" She asked her senior.

"Can you help Namjoo? I think she really needs help with those cookies." Said Dara in a low voice, so the customer won't hear it.

Seohyun chuckled. "Sure, but how about the customer?"

"Don't worry, i'll handle it."

"Okay, thanks eonnie~" and so Seohyun entered the kitchen to help Namjoo.

 

  While Dara serving the customer. The sound of bell ringing was heard, a sign that someone's coming.

 

"Thank you for coming, sir~" Dara said to the customer, and immediately greet another one who just arrived. "Good morning! Welcome to- eh?" Dara stopped her sentence when she found no one at the door. It's kinda weird since she heard the bell clearly. Or is it just her imagination?

She looked around, trying to spot the new customer who's probably taking a seat. And she almost screamed at the moment she spotted a person right in front of her. Well, what do you know, it's Kuroko Tetsuya.

 

  Dara placed her hand on her chest, trying to control her breath. "Gosh, you scared me!" She exclaimed.

 

  A grin was formed on the blue-haired man's lips while scratching his head. "I'm sorry."

"Since when you're here?"

"Since.. a minute ago?"

"Ah, really?"

"Ehehe, sorry for surprising you."

 

"Aniyo, it's okay." Dara huffed. "So, how may i help you?"

"Yes, i would like to order, uhm.. cupcake package?"

"Sure, which one?"

 

Kuroko looked down to the menu. "Choesonghamnida, but do you mind if i ask you a question?"

Dara chuckled, "Of course."

"Which one do you think it's suitable for children?"

 

  Dara pressed her lips into a straight line, it's unusual a customer asked that kind of question. His accent is also unusual, this made Dara assumed that he must be from other country.

 

"Well.. actually our cupcakes are suitable for every age. But, in my opinion. I think 'Happiness' package is the best one for children." She answered.

Kuroko's mouth formed an 'O', "Oh.. I see. Okay, i would like to have two packages, please."

"Sure thing, do you need anything else?"

 

The blue-haired man looked to the menu again. "Uhm.. and one vanilla milkshake."

"All right, two packages 'happiness' cupcake and one vanilla milkshake. Is that all?"

"Yes."

"The packages would be too heavy for you to bring it. Would you like us to deliver it?"

Kuroko nodded, "Yes, that would be great."

Dara took out a paper and a pen, "Please write down your address here." She then gave it to Kuroko. So the man began to do what she said.

 

 

Meanwhile..

 

 

  "Eonnie! I don't know what to do with this! Huaaa!" Said Namjoo panickly when she saw the burnt cookies.

"Just throw it away, Namjoo!"

"But, it's a lot cookies.."

"We can make it again! Come on!" Said Seohyun while pouring the flour to the mixing bowl. 

 

   We can say that the kitchen is in a little distress right now. Okay, scratch that, a huge distress. Cookie batter were scattered all over the place, the oven was almost burning. Not wanting Namjoo to know this, but Seohyun is pretty exhausted tutoring this girl. Namjoo just signed in 5 days ago, that's why her movement is still awkward. Even though she received training and advices, but she is a little slow to learn. So she has a low progress.

  They worked pretty hard replacing almost 200 burnt cookies. There are only two of them in that kitchen because the other staffs, Jinki and Dasom were going outside to buy bakery's supplies.

 

  Around 20 minutes has passed, they finally finished their work. Not only the cookies have been saved, the kitchen is now clean, too. They're now sitting on the floor, with their heads resting against the wall, exhausted.

"I'm sorry, eonnie.." Namjoo muttered, feeling guilty for burdening Seohyun.

Reading her face, Seohyun gave her a smile. "It's all right. Everyone made mistakes."

"Thanks."

 

  They went silent for awhile. But Seohyun immediately opens up a conversation, before it goes more awkward.

 

"Huft~ this exhausting work makes me hungry. How about we eat some pizza?" She said.
Namjoo looked at her a little blankly. "Eh?"
"I know a great restaurant. Let's go there afterwork." Seohyun continued. "My treat~"

The younger girl's eyes went brighter than before. "Really?!"

"Yeah."

"Yes! Thanks eonnie~ you're the best!"

"Hehe, don't mention it."

 

Suddenly Dara came in to the kitchen. "Seohyun-ah, since Jinki hasn't come back. Can you deliver these cupcakes to Baekguri Kindergarten?"

"They ordered again, huh. Mrs. Taeyeon was here?"

"Nope. I think the one who ordered them is a new teacher or something." Dara shrugged, "Meh, i don't know."

"Ah.. okay."

 

 

  Later on, Seohyun did what Dara ordered. She's now driving her motorbike with 4 boxes of cupcakes, heading to Baekguri Kindergarten. She rode it quite fast, yet her expression remained calm. It seems that she's already used to it.

 

  10 minutes later, she arrived at her destination. She was welcomed by a wide smile from Mrs. Taeyeon.

 

"Hello, Seohyunnie!"

 

Seohyun replied her smile while taking out the cupcake boxes. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Taeyeon."

"Thank you for bringing the cupcakes here." Said Mrs. Taeyeon while taking those boxes from Seohyun. "The kids really like it, you know."

Seohyun chuckled. "Ahahaha, really? Glad to hear that."

"I better put this inside, first. Can you please wait here?"

"Sure."

 

And so Mrs. Taeyeon went inside the school. Seohyun could vaguely hear the children cheering.

 

They do like our cupcakes. She thought. 5 minutes later, Mrs. Taeyeon came back to her.

"Sorry for the long waiting." She said.

"Aniyo, it's fine."

 

Mrs. Taeyeon then took out something from her purse. Which turns out to be some money. "Here's a tip for you."

"E-eh.. it's okay, Mrs. Taeyeon! you don't need to do that."

The elder woman shook her head. "Eish, it must be tiring for you to bring those cupcakes here. Take it." She put the money to Seohyun's hand, a signal that she's insist.

  

  Seohyun is still a little unsure, but she put the money into her pocket. "Thank you, Mrs. Taeyeon." She gave the woman a deep bow.

"Aigoo.. don't mention it." Mrs. Taeyeon chuckled before patting her shoulder. "Drive safely, okay?"

  Seohyun smiled. "Ne!" She then jumped on to her motorbike again, putting on her helmet and start the motorbike. "Bye, Mrs. Taeyeon!" She waved the woman a goodbye before drove away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   "it's been 10 months, Tetsu-nii. Will you come home on christmas?"

 

"Of course, Aya-chan." Kuroko chuckled. Even though he's smiling, his eyes shone blue. "Well.. if he allowed me to."

 

"Who?"

 

"Who else?"

 

"Ah.." the girl across the phone said. "Don't worry, Aniki. He will definitely welcome you."

 

Kuroko chuckled again as he entered a building. "How can you sure about that?"

 

"Aniki, no one hates you, okay? Everyone here are worried about you. Please come home soon~"

 

   "Okay~" and so, Kuroko hung up the phone as he arrived at his door. After pressing his passcode, he entered his apartment.

  

  The apartment has one bedroom, a small living room, a bathroom and a small kitchen pantry. Well, it's not much, only a simple apartment. But it's enough for him. Beside, who needs luxuries, he lives by himself anyway.

 

  After taking a bath and eating a bowl of bibimbap. He threw himself to his bed, thinking about all the things that happened today.