Change

One night, one lifetime

In the confines of his private quarters, Jaejoong was not a gisaeng. He was not a slave. He was only Jaejoong. A twenty-two-year-old man who had given his heart away overnight, never to get it back. He went into the bathroom in the back and undressed to bathe, taking off everything but the black bracelet which had now replaced his green one.

As he submerged himself in the hot water, he played for a moment with the flowers floating on the surface, trying to take his mind off his heartache. It worked about as well as one would expect, and Jaejoong soon covered his face with his hands and let out a soul-shattering sob.

He was still weeping when Junsu entered with breakfast. Having heard the sounds of his friend's hopeless crying all the way from the hallway, Junsu put the tray down and resolutely entered the bathroom, despite normally being forbidden to do so.

Picking up a towel and wrapping it around his friend, Junsu got him out of the bath and out into the main room, sitting them both down on the edge of the bed. Junsu then pulled Jaejoong into his arms and hugged him as hard as he could, as if he could piece the broken heart back together by sheer force.

"Is this why you don't accept Yoochun? Fearing the pain should he leave?" Jaejoong asked once he'd calmed down. Junsu blushed a deep shade of red.

"Hyung, how did you know?"

"Please, a blind man can see how you look at him."

"Yes. That's why. I wanted to make sure it's real before I give my heart to him."

"Do you think I was stupid to give myself to him so quickly?"

"In another time, and another life, yes. But in another time and another life, you would have had all the time in the world. In this life, you had only one night, and you followed your heart. As long as your tears are because it was beautiful, and not because it was painful, then it was the right thing to do."

"Do you think I'll get over him?"

"No. But you'll lock him away in your heart, like you always do, and you'll fight on, like you always do. And who knows, maybe one day, you'll be reunited."

"Don't give me hopes, Su."

"I'm not, I'm just saying that Master Kim is in his late sixties, while you only just entered your twenties… The years are on your side. Until then, don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

"Wow, corny much?" Jaejoong let out a teary chuckle.

"Made you smile." Junsu wrapped a soft robe around his friend's lithe body, kissing his temple.

OoOoO

Three months passed since the best night in Jaejoong's and Yunho's lives. Yunho all but moved into the bamboo forest, practising his martial arts at all hours of the day, trying to distract himself from the man he now knew must be the love of his life. The jade bracelet was heavy with the longing and the love he felt for the man who had stolen his heart.

For Jaejoong, the days melted into each other. Nothing held meaning anymore, not since Yunho had left his room, taking his entire heart and soul with him. He put all his trust into the black pearls, praying for them to fulfill his wishes and take him away from this place, back to Yunho's arms where he belonged.

Youngmin had also changed. When Jaejoong entertained him, the old man was much softer, almost apologetic in his demeanour. He rarely touched Jaejoong anymore, and on the few occasions he did, he was almost gentle in his ministrations. Although the lack of pain was welcome, it felt strange. The old man wasn't supposed to touch him like that. That wasn't how they worked.


Every now and then, especially after he'd had something to drink, Youngmin wanted to fall asleep next to Jaejoong. This night was no different.

Around two in the morning, Jaejoong was woken by the old man's caress.

"You've changed." Youngmin's voice sounded hollow, and far away.

"Sir?"

"That man, Yunho, changed you. Or maybe he pulled out the real you."

"I don't understand."

"Was he good? Do you regret giving yourself to him?"

"Sir, I-"

"I'm not angry. Not anymore. Just answer my question, please."

"I have no regrets…"

Youngmin surprised Jaejoong by suddenly pulling him close, kissing his hair and whispering his earnest apologies.

"I did love you, you know", Youngmin said.

"I know", Jaejoong said quietly. And he did know.

"That's why I kept you hidden. For fear of having you stolen away from me. But that morning, when the world heard you crying for him, I realised that you were never mine to claim. I was just keeping you until the man who truly owned your heart came around."

"Yunho…"

"Yes. Truth be told, you changed me, as well. You're so innocent, so beautiful, and you made me realise that there is still kindness in the world. For the last couple of years, I've been thinking like this more and more. Call it wisdom of age if you will. I know that nothing I do can ever make up for how I treated you, but there is one thing I can do."

"What?"

"I can send you home. Your father's debt was settled long ago. I have no right to keep you any longer. Go to Yunho. That is where you belong."

"Sir…" Jaejoong couldn't believe his ears. He was finally free?

"Pack your bags. I'll send you off at sunrise. All I ask is that years from now, when all this is nothing but memories, you'll find it in your heart to forgive an old man who fell in love with a flower."

Instead of words, since he could find none, Jaejoong kissed the old man on both cheeks, once to say thank you, and once to say goodbye, before getting up and leaving.


A/N

I cried writing this chapter ㅠㅠ

Please comment and tell me what you think <3