Team Building 101: To Gaze Upon A Star

Star Gazing

 

"C'mon guys. Just a little bit more and we'll get there. Cheer up! Smile! This is supposed to be a team building exercise! We're here to have fun, bond, and get to know each other!"

The others forced a smile and tried to show some enthusiasm, though deep down, they were dead tired from the hike. 

"Now that's the spirit!" Their boss said cheerily. 

Apparently, he's the only one oblivious to the murderous stares his employees were exchanging. It hasn't been that long (24 hours to be exact) since said boss hassled the group to finish the year-end reports coupled with the upcoming project proposals on such a short notice. 

They were overworked, stressed out, and most of all, were in a terrible sleep-deprived state when their boss suddenly realized and hastily declared that they need to conduct a team building activity. 

"Star gazing?! Really? What kind of team building activity is this?! He hasn't even let us properly introduce ourselves! We're still strangers to each other." Seohyun muttered to herself as she dragged her foot to take another step. 

Their boss was clearly, the only one happy on this trip or perhaps his happiness relies on their misery. Whatever it is didn't matter anymore as Seohyun heard him announce that they've reached their destination. 

"Okay everybody! We're here! Now take out your telescopes and let's go gaze at the stars!!!" their boss shouted enthusiastically.

The rest of them secretly groaned or turned their backs as they made this typical facial expression which translates into nothing but irritation and exhaustion. 

Seohyun begrudgingly took out her worn out binoculars and pretended to be engaged in this crappy team building shenanigans.

A couple of minutes passed, but she could feel the weight of someone's stare. She tried to ignore it but an hour has gone by and she knew that despite the minimal distance, whoever this person who's staring at her needs to stop because for some unknown reason, she's feeling all nervous and lightheaded. 

Seohyun tried to ease out from the attention but instincts and senses be damned because she knew that he's still watching her every move. It didn't help either that her Taeyeon unnie (that pretty and kind sunbae who supervises her trainings) kept giving her this look; you know? The kind of obvious look your high school BFF would give you whenever your crush is nearby? Seohyun felt grateful that there's at least two or three people between them otherwise her Taeyeon unnie would elbow her and start the teasing. 

"Really. What is wrong with this unnie? Why the giggly expression?" Seohyun thought as she gave this confused look when Taeyeon kept on with the silent jeers.

She walked around until she found a solitary and peaceful spot not far from her colleagues. She could hear footsteps and that's when she decided that one could only take so much of this "stalking" until a line is drawn. 

She took a deep breath and mentally conditioned herself to say that speech (the "excuse me but I need you to respect my personal space" kind) as she turned around to face the culprit. 

As soon as she did, she felt air being knocked out of her lungs, her mind spinning, and her cheeks burning once she realized who her "stalker" was. 

Jung Yonghwa. Senior Intern. Super rich. Handsome. Smart. That silent namja/hottie sunbae the rest (including her) of the newly hired interns were obssessing over. 

Though she momentarily lost her balance, she quickly regained her composure as she cleared and said,

"Excuse me sunbae but don't you know that it's rude to stare?"

She matched her gaze with his and took pride in being able to successfully raise an eyebrow to make her point. Her heartbeat was raising rapidly and it didn't help either that he just has to look at her like she's going to melt any second now.

Jung Yonghwa broke from his trance,  coolly shrugged his shoulders as he took out that pamphlet their boss gave them earlier. He raised it just enough for her to see as he pointed at the headline and said,

"Nope. Not when we're on a team building trip." 

She could still feel her knees wobble. How could he look so ethereal?! Curse the moon for giving off this light effect or so! 

"Which is supposed to be "star gazing."" She retaliated, trying not to sound breathless. 

This was the first time she's seen him up close and oh boy. This man is just daebak. Her right kind of guy. Just when she thought she's too old for crushes or smart enough to avoid a possible office romance. 

He gave her this "duh" look for approximately fifteen seconds before his face broke into a heart-stopping, toe curling, cutest and most adorable smile in the world as he looked straight into her eyes and said,

"And I'm looking at the brightest and most beautiful one right now." 

Seohyun felt her face flush and despite all efforts of restraint, she too, smiled at him so sweetly that he felt like it was his turn to be swept off his feet. 

Her boss was right. Star gazing really is, the best form of team building.

 

 

The end.

 


A/N:

I've started this way back the 8th of March and though it has pestered me since then, I couldn't really complete it until now. Boredom made it possible. Hahaha. Though i gotta say, posting from my laptop is way more convenient than the phone. Roughly edited, still, hoped you enjoyed reading it.

Anw, that's all for now. :) ciao.