160910 Moon Bunny

TVXQ 60 Minute Challenge

It was a quiet Chuseok for Yunho.

It would normally be a big family gathering, but he was working for most of the long weekend, anyway, and he couldn't make the long trip down to Gwangju.

So it was just him, in his little apartment.

Him and his Bunny.

Yunho wasn't the best at cooking, but he did his best for the Chuseok holidays – he still wanted to eat a decent meal after all. Changmin Bunny was already feasting on the carrot cake that he'd bought him along with some grapes sand some apple slices, but Yunho was intent on making himself some bulgogi.

As he stood at the stove, Changmin hopped over and rested his chin on Yunho's shoulder. His nose wiggled.

"What are you doing?"

"Cooking. Obviously."

"Smells gross," Changmin said, wrinkling his nose in distaste. "Really gross."

Yunho pouted. "Go eat your carrot cake. I'm almost done."

By the time Yunho reached the table with his plate of bulgogi, Changmin was already finished with his food and was just watching Yunho eating with his big, sparkly eyes.

It was pleasant, the whole thing – but as Yunho finished eating and was gathering up the plates to get started on the dishes, Changmin's long ears began to twitch.

And then, Yunho could swear that he saw a flash of light – or sparkles, or something – envelope Changmin bunny for a split second. And then there was nothing.

Yunho decided that his eyes must have been playing tricks on him, but as Yunho watched, Changmin rushed to the window to look up at the sky.

"What is it?" said Yunho, curious.

"It's Chuseok!" exclaimed Changmin, his fluffy white tail wiggling. He turned his head to look at Yunho intently. "I have to make rice cakes!"

Yunho was kind of horrified.

"What… What are you talking about?" said Yunho.

"The Moon Bunny is calling out to us! We have to make rice cakes!" said Changmin. He pointed up at the full moon.

Yunho stared. "Changmin, you're hallucinating."

"I'm not! I'm serious, help me! Every year, the Moon Bunny chooses one bunny on Earth to make rice cakes with her, and this year, it must be me!" Changmin's little feet were getting restless, and soon, he was jumping up and down. "Yunho, please!!!"

"Okay, stop," said Yunho, holding his head, which was starting to ache. "What… like, are you that pokemon that has to sing when there's a full moon or something?"

"No, I'm a bunny, and we have to make rice cakes with the Moon Bunny! He's calling out to me!"

"You said that already," said Yunho.

"I have to make –"

"Okay," said Yunho. "Just wait. I'll give you a carrot in the meantime, you can nibble on that while –"

"Rice cakes!!!!!!" screamed Changmin.

Yunho covered his ears. "Oh my God. I'm –"

But who even made rice cakes at home? How did one even make rice cakes?

"Um… do you have to do the whole mortar thing too, or do you have to just like… make –"

"Find me a mortar!!!"

Yunho was at a loss.

"Where am I going to find a mortar…?"

"I don't know, you're human, figure it out!"

"As if you can't do anything that I can," mumbled Yunho, shaking his head.

And then a thought occurred to him.

"So like… Changmin. Your ancestors, back when they were super tiny and they couldn't talk and they were like… little fluffy things that lived out in the wild."

"You're being disrespectful towards my ancestors," said Changmin, glaring.

"I'm sorry. I meant… anyways. I meant to say. What did they do when they were like… chosen by the moon bunny…? Like, how did they even lift the pestle to make rice cakes with?"

"I don't know, but Yunho, I'm going crazy, I really need to make rice cakes, please, help me out."

"And like… what happens if you don't make rice cakes?" said Yunho, starting to find this amusing now. "Do you go to bunny hell? Or."

"I don't know. I don't know. I just know I have to make rice cakes."

"Okay. Just give me a second," said Yunho with a sigh.

It was obviously ridiculous, there was no way he could find a mortar as big as the one that the Moon Bunny had – but maybe this would be okay.

Yunho found a metal bowl and filled it with some of the rice he'd just had with his bulgogi, and also found himself a rolling pin. He carried the contraptions to the table, where Changmin was waiting impatiently.

"Here. Go nuts."

"This is not going to be enough to please the Moon Bunny," declared Changmin, clearly unhappy.

"Okay, how many owners do you think would find their bunnies a huge mortar and pestle to make rice cakes with? And how many wild bunnies can get a hold of those things, do you think?"

"Well, Moon Bunny needs to get over it. Times have changed. No one makes rice cakes at home anymore."

Changmin gave Yunho another displeased glare, but picked up the rolling pin and started crushing the rice in the bowl with it.

Once he got started, though, it didn't seem to matter whether or not it was a real mortar or pestle. Changmin just kept crushing the rice… and hours into it, he still didn't seem like he was going to stop.

"Are you coming to bed?" asked Yunho. "I think that's enough now."

"No," said Changmin. "I have to make rice cakes."

Yunho shifted his eyes.

"You have to do this all night…?" said Yunho curiously.

"Yes," said Changmin intently. "Until Moon Bunny tells me I can stop."

"I really hope you're not psychotic or manic right now," said Yunho ."I'm getting kind of scared."

"I've been called by the Moon Bunny. I am this year's Special Chuseok Bunny."

"Okay, Changmin. Okay. I'm going to bed, so you come when you're ready."

Right at midnight, though, the sound of the crushing stopped and a very tired Changmin bunny climbed into bed next to Yunho. Yunho pulled him into his eyes groggily.

"You're done making rice cakes?"

"It's not Chuseok anymore," replied Changmin sleepily. "I'm free from the Moon Bunny's magic."

Yunho stifled a laugh.

"Did you please the Moon Bunny?"

"Screw Moon Bunny," huffed Changmin. "That was ridiculous."

"So glad you're not psychotic."

"Me too," said Changmin, shaking his head. "I swear to God, if I ever get chosen again…"

"I may have to intervene next time," said Yunho, running his hand over Changmin's soft ears, and then his fluffy tail.

"I'm so tired," complained Changmin, burrowing into Yunho's chest. "Screw Moon Bunny."

And within moments, Changmin was asleep.