Second to None

Mr. Phoenix
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A/N: Do not expect too much of thie fic. I update very slow, but I hope you guys be patient with me. 

         “Where’s my cute Baby Baek? It’s time for his bed time~” Mrs. Byun said, pretending to look for her son, who was hiding under his bed, chubby little feet he forgot to tuck in being the dead giveaway.

 

            When the child didn’t show any signs of moving, she hummed. “It looks like I won’t be able to tell him the story of the Legendary Mr. Phoenix…”

 

            She took a mock step out of the room when arms hugged her legs, “wait, mommy, don’t go! I want to hear the story!”

 

            The woman laughs, hauling the child into her arms and carried him to his bed. “You really like Mr. Phoenix, huh?” The child turned beet red.

           

            “He just sounds so cool, mom…” He says, cuddling his mother’s waist.

 

            Mrs. Byun adjusted her to accommodate a more comfortable position. “You know what, I think if you and Mr. Phoenix meet, he would really like you.”

 

            “You really think so?”

            “I know so, baby.”

            “But how?”

 

            She smiles, “let’s just say that Mr. Phoenix and I are friends.”

            “That’s cool, mom!” The child yawns, but despite that his voice is filled with wonder.

            “Alright. Time to tell you the story… again.”

 

 

            Long ago, when people with powers called “Shifters” in an alternative world existed, the Phoenix was their king, honing the powers of fire. His fire burned the brightest and the strongest, but he remains to be kind and simple, ruling alongside him was his queen, has the power to control light, through the queen’s beauty (inside and out), gave light and hope for their kingdom. The two reigned for a long time given that they age slower than us. Their people lived in harmony until a prophecy was brought up saying that the offspring of the king and queen would be the most powerful of all and would inevitably bring either chaos or peace to their world.

 

            Their people grew afraid of the prophecy and plotted against the king and queen. When news came that the queen was with child, the people grew even more paranoid and abducted the queen while the Phoenix was on a trip far away from the castle and killed her.

 

            The Phoenix found out about the death of his beloved ones and grew furious, and out of his anger, he banished all of the shifters to the human world where they won’t be able to use their powers because of an ancient seal placed there. After his success, heart too broken that he grew weak, he eventually burst into flames, leaving only burnt marks of where he dissolved into ashes.

 

 

            “The end. But baby, did you know? Legend says that Mr. Phoenix would rise again from the ashes if his queen’s soul is reborn.”

            “Reborn? But mom, how would Mr. Phoenix know who his queen is? How would he find her?”

 

            “They say that the queen has this special mark somewhere that would appear when Mr. Phoenix is near, and through that mark that he gave, he can feel and somewhat know if his queen is near.”

 

            “Has Mr. Phoenix found his queen yet?”

            “I’m afraid not, baby.” She his son’s soft locks.

            “I hope,” The child pauses, yawning once more. “Mr. Phoenix finds his queen soon.”

 

            “I hope so too.” Mrs. Byun says, her gaze filled with fondness for her child.

 

 

            “Hey, look. It’s that Byun kid.”

            “I heard he killed his best friend years ago.”

            “How?”

            “Burned him, no even a trace of ash could be seen.”

            “God, that’s scary as .”

            “You have no idea.”

            “Poor kid.”

            “Yeah, but who would want to go near someone like that?”

            “He looks kind of innocent though.”

            “Well, looks can be deceiving.”

           

            17-year-old Byun Baekhyun raised the hood of his jacket to further obscure his face from his schoolmates. He already accepted the fact that he’s bound to be alone, but he didn’t need that fact to be constantly shoved to his face, mocking him everyday. It made the feeling of loneliness unbearable.

 

            He sighed, though there was no use in trying to stop them from doing it, rumors are a constantly moving force that would only get worse when dealt with. After all, it did happen. He actually killed his best friend back when he was only 8. He couldn’t exactly remember everything that had happened, the only memory that he recall is how upset he was and then everything just flashed white and the next thing he knew was that he was being hauled out of the burning building, his best friend’s body couldn’t be found and all the blame was placed onto him. Baekhyun was lucky enough to avoid confronting his best friend’s parents because he didn’t have any. He was an orphan that Baekhyun met a year before the incident, on the very same place where the building turned into charred rubble.

 

            First day of the new school term… he hates it. Every chance of making new friends would always be destroyed because of that damn crime he did. If only he could control time and make everything go faster and end the day.

 

            Why can’t someone just take him away from here?

 

 

 

 

             Baekhyun gingerly closed their front door, eyes drooping. Despite the non-strenuous day physical activity he did, he felt so drained emotionally to the point that even his body wants to shut down. Sleeping is one of the things that could deal with his depression.

 

            “Hey, Baby Baek, are you okay?” His mother approached him and lightly prodded his body for any signs that he was sick.

 

            “I’m okay, mom. I’m just so done with everything today.” He says, letting out the breath that he wasn’t aware of holding.

 

            “Everything will be better. I promise, just a little more waiting—“ She Baekhyun’s hair, one of the traits that she loved about his son.

            “—yeah, once I get to high school…” He nods.

            “Why don’t you go upstairs and rest. I’ll wake you up when dinner’s ready. And I got a surprise for you there.” She said, giving Baekyun a slight push towards the staircas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter