Cupid

Shorts and Shots

The soft monotone of the group counselor's voice was slowly lulling Hayley Jung to sleep.


'Three more minutes' she thought as she checked her watch. She had been excited at the thought of going to college and after years of being an awkward teenager in high school, this briefing was the only thing standing between her and her exciting journey to adulthood. 


"So all you have to do is fill in this forms and have all your documents ready and I will see you at orientation in two weeks. Good luck everyone."


With that, Hayley cheered at the prospect of being freed from Mr. I-only-speak-in-one-key. Her mother had been esthetic the day she came home to a letter from Harvard confirming her spot for their yearly scholarship program. 


Her years of hard work had paid off and the proud look on her mum's face told her it was worth striving the past few years she was in high school.  She had vowed to repay her mum for everything she had sacrificed for her ever since she was born. 


And in two weeks’ time, it was finally going to happen. She let out a sigh of contentment.


Her phone beeped and she checked her text.

 
I'm around the corner. See you in five. :)


She smiled at the text and as if right on cue her stomach growled in hunger. Hayley began packing her bag making sure to double check her forms and documents. She then waved goodbye to her future batch mates and set off to the ground floor of the building. 


A black SUV greeted her as she stepped out of the building and she could hardly contain her excitement as she entered the car. 


"Hey, there's my genius" the low raspy voice she had grown familiar to greeted her. 


She rolled her eyes at the nickname her aunt has been giving her since first grade. Granted the fact she skipped a year. 


The elder chuckled and tussled her hair before setting off to the traffic "So are you ready for college little one?" 


Hayley smiled "totally"


"Your mum is freaking out by the way. Coupled by the fact that she's as excited as you are. Harvard scholarship program? We couldn't be more proud, Li"


She smiled bashfully and tucked some stray strands behind her ear as she could feel a blush coming.  


"Speaking of your mum, she won't be joining us for dinner. Had a last minute meeting. She sends her love though" 


"I understand. We could always celebrate another time" Hayley nodded "I'm starving" 


"What do you feel like having? My treat of course" her aunt smile at her. 


Hailey smiled and rolled her eyes "pizza duh"


"Pizza it is" 

 

 

 

 

 


Hayley moaned as she took the first bite from her pepperoni pizza "Oh my god, this is heaven" 


"Whoa slow down there tiger, you're gonna choke on yourself" 


Hayley smiled at her aunt who was surprisingly glued to her phone instead of digging in. She stole a glance at the latter; shortly trimmed hair styled like a working professional, suit and tie, strong jawline with a hint of feminity, there was also that dorky smile she wore when her mum is around. In fact, Amber Liu was pretty good-looking to boot. 


Come to think of it, Amber had been there since she was born, she was practically her dad. Though she did had a phase in which she insisted on calling her dad. But that was a story for another time. It has been always her mum and her, she had never met her biological father and her mum never liked talking about him.

Nevertheless, Hayley didn't care, she has her mother and of course, Amber. Now that she was growing older, she finally understood the dynamics of Amber's vague relationship with her mother. 


They were childhood friends’ yes, but she could see the look of affection and adoration every time her aunt laid eyes on her mother. 


Amber Liu loves her mum. 


"Hey Amber" 


The other woman hummed in response, her eyes never leaving the screen of her Blackberry. 


"Are you" she paused, unsure of how to phrase her words "seeing anyone right now?" 


Well, that had certainly gotten the Amber's attention and the latter finally looked up from her phone. 


"What?" 


Hayley smirked at the confusion etched on the other's face "I was just you know, wondering if you're seeing anyone right now?" 


There was a short pause as Amber continued eyeing her with a suspicious look "what are you planning in that brilliant head of yours missy? but no, I'm not seeing anyone right now" 


Hayley smiled, satisfied at the answer "oh nothing, I'm just curious as to why someone as hot as you would still be single" 


"What did you do? oh my god, you're pregnant aren't you?! Your mom is gonna flip out" her eyes widen in panic as the onslaught of questions turned to a series of rambling on how her mum will castrate some balls and how Amber will be skinned alive and chopped into pieces. She rolled her eyes, why are old people such drama queens?


"Calm down Amber, I'm not pregnant. I'm too brilliant to fall into a social trap like that" she scoffed. 


The older woman paused mid ramble and sigh in relief as she clutched her chest "oh thank god. Don't ever scare me like that" 


"I was just wondering you know, why are you still single?" she eyed her aunt carefully, looking for signs that will tell her she was waiting for her mother. 


Amber shrugged nonchalantly and reached for a slice of pepperoni pizza on the table "I guess I'm still waiting for the right one" 


"Is it my mom?" she asked eagerly as she leaned on the table, closer to the older woman. 


Amber choked on her pizza at the unexpected question thrown at her "whoa, there missy, you've been watching too much tv" she said as she reached for a napkin. 
Hailey rolled her eyes "oh come on, I see it you know, the way you look at mom. I'm not that naive little girl anymore. I see how happy you are when you're with her" 
She watched as Amber's expression turned serious and she cleared "to be honest Hayley, I did asked your mom to marry me. When she was pregnant with you" 


Her eyes widened in surprise, her mother had never said anything about that before. Amber then leaned back towards her chair and let out sigh "she refused. I wanted to take care of the both of you, you know. But she wouldn't let me"


"Did she say why?" 


Amber shook her head in response "she didn't, but I could guess one of it isn't love. She didn't feel the same way I did" 


"But you still stuck around?" her voiced turned soft. After so many years, she finally understood. 


"I was mad at first, more at myself for ruining our friendship. Things became painfully awkward and when she was going through that rough third trimester, I realize I couldn't be selfish, so I took care of everything for her and after that things were falling in to place and it became natural"  


"I love you and your mom kiddo, you both mean everything to me, seeing you grow up to be such a talented young lady, it makes me happy. I mean come on, Harvard?” Amber flashed her a wide grin, like a proud parent would, bragging about their kids.  


Hayley grinned back, flattered at her aunt’s praise but she had pressing matters to attend to. She raised her brows “what about you Amber? Are you truly happy? I mean, you have been taking care of us since day one, selflessly I may add. Now that I’m going to college soon, I want both you and mom to be happy. It’s the least I could do for being such a brat in the past” 


It was hard to miss the falter in Amber’s smile as she sighed “Hayley, I’m really happy you think about us all the time but this is between your mom and I. And honestly, nothing is gonna change. Your mom never had feelings for me and she won’t” Hayley could hear the sadness in her tone despite the older woman trying to keep things on a lighter note. Like she has already resigned to her fate of unrequited love. It didnt sit well with the teenager as she frowned.   
“But don’t worry about it Hayley, whatever happens, I promise to look out for her. Always”


Hailey shared eye contact with the older woman, searching for answers. Maybe this is what movies and books talk about all the time, as cheesy as they sound. Selfless love does exist. And in the form of her guardian, Amber. 


“I wasn’t supposed to tell you this but your mom is currently seeing someone.” Amber said quietly amidst the silence. 


Hayley snapped her head so fast it almost gave her a whiplash “What?!” 


Amber shrugged, trying to act nonchalant as she leaned back against her chair “some guy from her office. Co-worker probably” 


The teenager frowned “but it’s impossible, mom loves you. I’m sure of it” 


Amber stood up and ruffled her hair “well thanks Kiddo, but not in the way you think” 


“Come on, let’s get you home before your mom gives me an earful for dropping you off late”  


Hayley rolled her eyes as she picked her bag “we live in the same building, drama queen” 


The older woman laughed and wrapped her arm around the teenager’s shoulders. At times like this, Amber really feels like a father, or a paternal figure in her life. Like her best friend. Even though she and her mother were practically soul mates, Amber fills the void of a paternal companionship in her life. She was always the first person she would approach when she knew she had done something wrong; be it accidentally breaking her mom’s favorite china, or missing curfews or not doing her chores. All she need to do was scamper to the older woman and hide behind her legs and she knew Amber would be defenseless to say no. 


As she grew older, her aunt began to be an older figure to look up to, often going to Amber for advice and comfort. Just a lame joke or a warm hug would make her day. This time she was going to make things right. It was her turn to return the favor, for her selfless Amber.  


“Hey kiddo, stop spacing out. You look awfully like your mom when you do that” she heard the teasing voice as she came back to reality. 


She smirked and jogged after Amber who was waiting for her, and as she wrapped her arm around her aunt’s waist while the older woman had hers around her shoulder, she already had a plan. 


And her plan was to get Amber Liu and Krystal Jung together. 

Hayley felt like a fish out of water as she watched her mom introduce the man standing next to her. Amber and her had just got back from dinner and had to come across her mom and her ‘date’ at the front door, probably saying their goodbyes. 


If it wasn’t for Amber who had already gave her the heads up, she would have been shocked to see a man with her mother in front of their house. Her mom had went on dates but she had never once introduced them to Hayley which she assumed they weren’t serious. But now that this tall man was standing here extending his hand for her to shake, she was starting to get worried. 


Amber had long retreated back to her home which was next to theirs as soon as she could, offering Hayley a sad smile and a shrug that said ‘I told you so’. 
She was a polite young adult after all and accepted the handshake with a gentle smile to match. She knew she still had a chance, or rather, Amber had a chance when her mother offered a smile to her date instead of a kiss or hug which she normally does to people who she was comfortable with.

 
“So, you wanna tell me about him?” the younger girl asked as soon as their front door was closed. 


Krystal grinned sheepishly at her daughter, amused that they were at the stage where they could talk about dates now. 


“He’s a co-worker Hayley, we went for dinner after the meeting and he insisted on sending me right up to the door” 


The teenager nodded, she wasn’t convinced but she knew her mother wouldn’t lie to her. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

“It’s a Thursday night and you’re sitting here in my bar sulking and getting yourself wasted” 


Amber waved her hand dismissively “I’m not drunk. I just need some air and I didn’t want to be alone at home”  

Scott had his hands up in surrender as he watched his best friend pour herself another glass of whiskey before going back to staring at the wallpaper on her phone. It doesn’t take a genius to know what was bothering the other. Whenever Amber felt like this, she would always be hanging around at his bar, be it a fight with Krystal or when she was simply too tired to pretend that she was fine with her feelings not being reciprocated. The latter would drink and ramble till she passes out or start harassing his bartenders for more drinks. 


And tonight was no exception. 


“Hayley’s all grown up, she’s going to college” a phone was shoved into his face “see that, I’m so proud of her. Feels like yesterday she was still learning to walk or talk or read. Now she’s off to college to be an adult” 


“She doesn’t need me anymore. Now that she’s leaving, Krystal wouldn’t have to put up with my sorry anymore. They don’t need me no more” she whispered sadly as she laid her face on the bar table, staring blankly at whatever that was in front of her.


He felt sorry for Amber, who had been nothing but patient and understanding since the day she devoted her life to her best friend despite knowing her feelings will never be returned. 


“I mean, it’s not that I stuck around because of Krystal, I love Hailey too. I love her like my own” she trailed off and let out a long sigh. 


"I shouldn't be selfish, but I want to...."


"For once, I want to...."

 

 

 

 

 


Krystal Jung woke up disorientated, it took her a while to register the need to pee and in the midst of her throwing herself around in bed, she finally decided that she really needed to go. After much stumbling around like a graceful princess she was to and from the bathroom, she decided to take a drink as well. 


While the hallway was dark and quiet, she could make out the light coming out from her front door, she could hear the scuffling outside and out of curiosity she decided to take a look from her peephole. She caught sight of her neighbor passed out on her front door. 


Krystal let out a deep sigh and opened her front door, deciding to help her neighbor and best friend. Amber was completely faced; she had her back leaning on her front door as she sat on her welcome mat, her face red and she looked completely dead. 


“Am” she called out softly. After a few tries and the only reply she got was a grunt or a moan Krystal decided to search for her keys in her pocket instead. The third time and she finally manages to fish them out of her jacket. 


She let out a frustrated groan as she tried to hoist the other up by draping her arm over her shoulders. Amber was dead weight at this point. 


“Stupid, you weigh a ton” 


Krystal snorted in disbelief when Amber began to recognize her nickname even through her drunken state. 

“Soojung-ah” was the only coherent thing she could hear throughout the whole time she dragged both of them to the couch; which was the softest surface she could reach in such a short distance inside Amber’s home. 


‘That would do for now’ she shivered at the thought of having to lug Amber’s dead weight all the way to her bedroom. Amber let out another groan as she dropped both of them ungracefully on her couch. At that moment, she made two mistakes. 


One, her legs gave way when they finally made it to the coffee table by the couch and two, she had forgotten all about her best friend’s arm draped over her shoulders when she dropped both of them on the couch, resulting in Amber pulling her and falling on top of the other, their faces barely inches apart. 


Krystal panicked, and she immediately tried to pick herself up but the drunk woman beneath her had decided to hold on to her by the waist. 


“Soojung-ah. Please don’t leave me. Don’t go” her heartbeat began to accelerate as she heard the other woman calling out to her sadly.  


From their close proximity, she could pick up the faint remnants of the cologne the older woman wore and the strong stench of alcohol in her breath drawing her in. In her state of confusion, Amber had closed their distance by kissing her. Krystal’s eyes widened as she tried to resist but the drunk woman had tighten her grasp on her waist instead. 


Her resolve died when she opened and Amber took the opportunity to slip her tongue in. She had not felt this way in a long time, sure she had been on dates, but none of them had gone as far as this. Not even close. None of them felt this right.   


‘Stop, she’s your best friend’ her mind told her body but she couldn’t. 


Just when she was starting to enjoy the kiss, Amber had pulled them apart to breathe. This time, Krystal dived in for another kiss causing both of them to moan. Maybe it was the fact she hadn't been with someone for so long, or the fact that the taste of alcohol in Amber's mouth was making her drunk as well. Yeah, drunk and delirious, her mind added. Hands began roaming, bodies began grinding and when Amber’s hands touched the bare skin of her waist and into the waist band of her underwear, she froze and opened her eyes. Her lust filled haze finally snapping out of it. 


She immediately broke them apart and got off the couch hurriedly. 


‘No’ she couldn’t do this. She won’t have with her drunk best friend on her couch. It wasn’t….right. 


She hurriedly retreated back into her own apartment after making sure both their front doors were shut, heart still beating rapidly over the past event. 
'What. The. Hell. Was that?!'


She would go back to her bed only to find herself in a sleepless plight, her mind replaying the scene that happened on her best friend’s couch over and over again.

And what felt the worst was, she didn’t feel bad at all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hayley Jung took a sip of her coffee as she observed her mother cursing for the ninth time this morning as she burnt yet another toast. She furrowed her brows in worry, her mother wasn’t exactly the epitome of a morning person, but she gets by just enough to make them breakfast safely and head to work.

 
She then turned to look at the clock at the wall; 7AM. 


Her aunt would burst in the front door an hour ago for their routine morning breakfast together. Amber had been coming over for meals for as long as she could remember, so it was no surprise this morning that the androgynous woman would plop in their dining table for breakfast and a little chat with her mom. 


As if on cue, a very hung over Amber sauntered tiredly into their dining area. She looked fine, Hayley noticed, maybe not as well groomed as she usually was but the older woman let out a tired yawn as she read the morning news on her iPad after greeting her. She was in a casual attire which puzzled the teenager even more.  


“Coffee?” she asked her aunt. 


“Don’t worry about it Li, I’ll go grab it myself” she smiled at the younger girl as she got up and headed towards the kitchen. 


“Morning Krys” she greeted cheerfully to the oblivious woman still in her deep thoughts while she finished frying up the rest of the bacon and scrambled eggs. 
Krystal almost jumped when she felt the older woman leaning closely behind her, her arms stretched upwards to grab a mug in the cabinet. In an instant, what she had been trying to forget happened last night replayed in her mind again and she couldn’t help but fight back a blush. 


“You okay there? Do you need any help?” Amber who seemed oblivious to her inner turmoil asked kindly. She studied the other woman carefully, Amber didn’t looked any different this morning and she had come to a conclusion that the other woman probably didn’t remember about their tussle on her couch that took place just earlier this morning. 


Oddly enough, Krystal seemed disappointed.  


‘“I’m…I’m fine” she stuttered.

 
“Just grab some plates, breakfast is ready” she avoided looking at her.


She got even more nervous as the unfazed Amber smiled kindly “Sure.” 


Well, to any normal person, their small interaction may seem like any other. But Hayley Jung was a genius and she spent her whole life with this two people she had called her family. From her seat, she had a perfect view of her kitchen in which her mom and Amber stood. 


What puzzled her even more was how oblivious Amber was while her mother was acting all jumpy this morning. 


But her confused frown soon turned into a smirk when she noticed how her mother had been avoiding eye contact with her aunt the whole morning during breakfast and how her blush crept up to her face every time she stole a glance at the older woman when she wasn’t paying attention.

 
That’s when Hayley Jung knew something must had happened. She grinned evilly as she thought of how much easier it would be to get them together now. 
All they need was a nudge. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Luna unnie!” 


“Luna Unnie!” the doorbell began to ring frantically. 


The said person in the apartment began to panic at the urgency of the voice as rushed towards her front door.

 
“Hayley-ah” the shorter woman greeted the teenager and gave her a hug. 


“What brings you here? I was about to leave for- work” Luna asked her favorite niece in concern as the younger Jung barely visited her during the weekdays. 


“I have a plan. But I need your help” Hayley said seriously. 


Luna’s brows furrowed in confusion as she closed the front door shut after inviting the excited teenager in. Hayley rarely gets excited over things, due to her stoic nature in which she inherited from her best friend. 


“Hayley, slow down. I don’t understand a single thing you just said” 


The teenager smiled sheepishly, probably embarrassed from her sudden outburst. Luna took note of how similar mother and daughter were; Krystal wore the same expression when she’s flustered. 


“Amber and my mom. I have a plan” 


“What?!” Luna hoped her ears did not deceived her. 


“I want to get my mom and Amber together duh. But I need your help” the younger Jung continued on


Hayley wanted to laugh at the size of her aunt’s eyes and mouth at the moment but she had more pressing matters to attend to, so she opted for a smirk instead.

 
“Like romantically? Together-together?” Luna asked again to confirm what she just heard wasn’t an illusion.


The young girl was beginning to lose her patience and nodded, her mother’s signature glare began to ‘surface. 


“Yes” 


“Oh my god Hayley! That’s great! You finally noticed!” she rolled her eyes as the shorter woman in front of her was starting to get emotional and reached out to hug her. 


“You’re finally an adult aren’t you” her voice came out shaky but there was relief in it. 


When they pulled apart Hayley saw the hesitation in her aunt’s face “but I’m really sorry. I can’t help you. Not anymore” 


“Why not?” Hayley frowned, confused at Luna’s sudden change in behavior. 


“Oh, believe me Hayley, I have been trying to get them together since forever. And if there’s one person who solely believe they are meant for each other it’s me” Luna assured the teenager. 


“But I promised Amber unnie I’ll never meddle again” 


“What happened?” 


She heard the older woman sigh “Amber saw uncomfortable your mom felt and made me promise not to do it anymore” 


“But things are different now” Hayley retorted. 


“What do you mean?” 


“Something happened, I don’t know what or when. But this morning, mom was being weird at breakfast. And the funny part is, Amber didn’t seem to notice” the teenager explained. 


She took it as a signal to continue as Luna stared at her with questioning eyes “she's practically a zombie this morning when she woke up; she even burnt the toasts, which is something quite rare. Then when Amber came by, she began acting all jumpy and nervous. Usually when Amber teases her, she gets all annoyed but today, all she did was giggled and avoided eye contact" 


Luna paused her mid ramble "wait, when did this started happening?" 


"Only this morning, mom was fine last night" 


Luna rubbed her chin in contemplation; the girl did have a point. Even if she did promised Amber not to meddle, but technically Hayley didn't. And if Krystal did had a change of feelings, all she needed was a little help to realize them. With her mind made up, she gave the younger girl a nod of approval. 

Hayley grinned and clasped her hands together in excitement "okay, so here's what we're gonna do" 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Krystal huffed and puffed as she got out of the cab; its been a long day for her at the office coupled by the fact that she didn't get much sleep no thanks to her stupid brain reminding her of the fact that she just made out with her drunk best friend the night before. 

All she wanted to do right now was to go home, soak in a bath and maybe some music to make it all go away. That was till her daughter called her this afternoon to remind her of their celebratory dinner and her going away to college. 


She couldn't help but smiled at the thought of what her daughter turned out to be; at least she wasn't knocked up and abandoned by literally everyone she knew. All except for her best friend, who stayed by her side loyally even till now. 

She wasn't blind nor was she stupid to ignore the feelings her best friend harbored for her and it wasn't because she didn't love Amber, she just thought she wasn't good for the other. Stupid as it sounds, Amber deserved better than her. And then, after a while, her feelings became platonic that is until yesterday, when everything she had been trying to supress for years decides to resurface after a moment of tryst with her best friend on her couch. God, she was such a teenager. 

And yet deep down she couldn't let the other go. She knew it was selfish of her to hold on to Amber like a jealous girlfriend but years of dependency on the older woman and the comfort she provided whenever she feels like a failed parent had made her greedy. Because she knows she would always feel safe in the arms of her friend. 

Even back then, her youth consisted of her being stubborn and naive and when she finally found out she was pregnant with her boyfriend of two years at that time, her high school sweetheart; he freaked out. He freaked out and left. Even his family refused to take responsibility as he was set on a full sports scholarship to college. How cliched everything turned out to be. And now she was glad even with all the hardship she endured raising her daughter she hadn't gone through with the abortion. At the age of seventeen, her father had kicked her out while her mother wouldn't even as much look at her. Her sister had remained silent the whole time but eventually came around to support her. 

She would always remember showing up at Amber's doorstep with nothing but a backpack and tear stained cheeks. And when Amber had proposed to her after a few months, she resisted the temptation. It may seem stupid but she was afraid Amber would also be sick of her and would eventually decide to leave. Being friends was the best choice for the both of them, in that sense Krystal would never lose her. 

After living in the comfortable rhythm for many years, last night's events had awaken something she had been trying to suppress for so long. It was beginning to feel like all the dates she had gone in the past were nothing but hollow temporary substitutes. She wasn't per say lonely, having devoted all her time and energy to raising Hayley. 

At times Amber did seem like a paternal figure to Hayley, not because of her boyish looks but more of her goofy, laid back and caring personality. She's glad she had Amber to help shape Hayley into who she is today. To say her daughter is a genius is an understatement, Hayley excelled at her academics and whatever she set her mind on and despite their situation it never stopped her. 

Krystal smiled to herself, her life had turned out amazing. She couldn't be more grateful and as she stepped into the front of the restaurant she was supposed to meet with her daughter and Amber, she couldn't help but wonder if she had gotten the wrong place. 

It was one of those fine dining places in town that served amazing food and wine and she grinned at the thought of how her daughter remembered she enjoyed wine. Amber was already there, dressed in her usual suit and tie right from work, her hair styled back naturally while her sides shaved neatly to compliment her looks. Krystal took the opportunity to admire her best friend looking so dashing while the other was busy typing away on her phone. As on cue, her mind began wandering off to the night before. Amber chose this time to look up and offered her a goofy grin, she couldn't help but blush. 

"Hey Krys" 

For the first time in 20 years of their friendship, she felt her heart beating a mile a minute; she hoped Amber couldn't sense her nervousness. 

Amber's phone beeped and she heaved a sigh of relief "that was Hayley, she's gonna be late. Told us to go ahead if we don't wanna lose our table" 

Krystal was snapped out of her reverie when Amber looked up and offered her arm

"After you madam" Krystal knew it was meant as a joke but she couldn't help but swoon at the gesture. 

Despite the long day she had at the office, she knew this was going to be a great night spent with her daughter and her best friend. Nothing but enjoying a good meal and conversation. 

Or so she thought.

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Are you sure this is gonna work?" Hayley raised her eyebrows in doubt as she stared at her aunt. 

The petite woman nodded "of course Li, you may be a genius in your work and studies but when it comes to love, you gotta let the love guru take over" 

Luna announced proudly and that made Hayley smirk. 

"Okay, Luna" she laughed.

"Did you get the girl like I told you so?" The older woman asked in concern.

Hayley nodded and announced proudly "don't worry about it Luna, she'll be making her entrance as soon as they settle down in their seats" 

"Remember only to tell them you'll raincheck once they're seated. Then it would be impossible for them to leave" 

Hayley rolled her eyes "okay grandma" 

"Your mom is a highly jealous and territorial woman. We just need that to nudge her into accepting her feelings" 

"I hope so Luna, it'll be my best graduation gift. To see them finally together" Luna smiled gently at the confession. 

She knows how much Hayley has inherited Krystal's passiveness over the years and it's refreshing to see that side of the younger girl. 

She was also happy to see how much Hayley had grown to love Amber even though they weren't blood related, Amber's sacrifice and patience over the years may have finally pay off. 

Luna took a last peek from the corner they were hiding at making sure Amber and Krystal had their seats. 

"Alright let's go, plan Kryber is commencing" Luna squealed excitedly. This was what she was dreaming of even before Hayley was born. 

Hayley could only shake her head with a smirk wondering why all the adults in her life were such children. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Did I tell you, you look amazing today?" Amber grinned as they settled down in their seats. 

Krystal tried not to blush at the comment, it wasn't weird as this was their usual playful banter but somehow things were beginning to be in a different light ever since last night. It's like taking a first breath of air after being submerged in water for so long.

She was glad the waiter interrupted them with the menu. Halfway through browsing on what to have to compliment the great night she was starting to have, she heard a shrill voice approaching their table. 

"Hey! I thought I'll never see you again y!" Krystal immediately looked up from her menu only to be greeted by the sight of a scantily dressed women with a curvy body and big s in front of them. She looked like the usual attractive girls on magazine covers.

Amber stared at the other, alarmed at the sight of the unknown woman in front of her. 

The latter seemed unfazed by her "come on, don't tell me you don't remember me after the amazing night we had. You didn't even say goodbye" 

Amber immediately turn to look at Krystal, afraid of what her friend would think of her. She knew Krystal was starting to get annoyed and she had to do something fast. 

She didn't even know the other woman for crying out loud. 

She began politely " I'm sorry but I think you've mistaken me for someone else" 

The woman simply dismissed her "nonsense, I would remember a hottie like you anytime. Don't deny it now that your girlfriend is here" 

From the corner of her eye she could see Krystal's eyebrow twitch and it wasn't a good sign. It didn't help now that the girl began touching her shoulders. 

"She's not my girlfriend but I seriously think you have the wrong person" she had to think fast before she ruins their dinner. 

If it was even possible, Krystal's face turned a shade darker and she felt a pang when Amber denied they weren't together. 

'That's right Krystal, you guys aren't together why do you even bother' she chastised herself ignoring Amber and went back to looking at her menu, despite not being able to register anything written on it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From the corner of the restaurant, right at the far end away from their table. Luna panicked. 

"Hayley! What the hell is that?" She yell whispered at the other, referring to the woman that was at Amber and Krystal's table. 

Hayley shrugged "she's the girl you told me to hire" 

"I told you to find a suitable woman not, not" Luna paused looking for a lack of better word for the term; or minx? "that" she decided to settle for a limited vocabulary while moving her arms around to emphasize her point.  

Hayley shrugged "what? She's attractive and y. My mom has to know what she will be missing on" 

"By hiring a to prove your point?!" there she said it. 

The teenager rolled her eyes "relax grandma, its not like Amber really slept with her. Gotta give my mom something to fight for" 

Luna took a glance at the other table and panicked at Krystal's reaction "uh oh, Li, better divert the woman before your mom murders Amber with the steak knife on the table" 

Hayley followed her gaze and pursed her lips, suddenly feeling sorry for putting her mother into an awkward position "alright I'll text her" 

 

 

 

 

 


Just when Amber was about to tear her hair out from frustration the woman's phone rang. She heaved a sigh of relief when the woman finally removed her hand from her shoulders. Her muscles getting tired from clenching into all that tension. 

"Oops gotta take this, anyway it's nice seeing you hottie" she then leaned in to whisper into Amber's ears "give me a call when you decide to dump her" 

Amber whipped her head so fast in Krystal's direction she almost gave herself a whiplash. Her eyes widened in panic but from Krystal's reaction it seemed the other had immersed herself in the two page menu of the restaurant, ignoring both of them. 

"Bye" with a wink and a kiss on her cheek the woman left as fast as she appeared. Amber couldn't help but contain the horror in her when at that moment Krystal chose to look up. 

Silence had fallen on the table as Krystal busied herself with her phone. Pretending whatever that just happened didn't bother her at all. 

"Krys" the older woman started. 

"I swear I don't even know her" 

Silence. 

"It's fine. It's not like it's any of my business anyway" 

Amber's heart sank and it showed as she looked down, right. Of course it didn't matter to Krystal, she doesn't even have feelings for her anyway. 

"Of course it doesn't" she muttered with a sad smile. 

The atmosphere had became so awkward she wanted to break down and throw a tantrum. No matter what she does she'll be reminded that she'll always be Krystal's best friend. 

In the midst of her moping and self loathing, She heard a familiar voice calling out to her. 
 "Amber, is that you?"
 
"Ellin?" Amber said after looking up to find her ex girlfriend staring at her. 

This time Krystal looked up as well. 

"Hey it's been a while" Amber said fondly, it really has. After wallowing in so much self pity in the past she decided to date other people and Ellin used to be one of her colleagues. They didn't last long though, a few months down the road Ellin decided to call it quits. Amber didn't stop her, she knew she hadn't been giving her all. How could she when her heart belonged to someone else? 

Amber smiled "wow, you look great. How are you?" She wanted something to distract herself.

Ellin blushed "I'm great Am, I feel great. Actually I got married two years ago" 

"That's great! Who's the lucky person?" 

Ellin glanced at the table towards their right "his name is Jeff. We're actually here to celebrate our pregnancy. I'm expecting" 

Amber's eyes widened in surprised "wow, I'm happy for you Ellin" she settled for a genuine smile. 

"Thank you Am" she finally acknowledged the woman sitting in front of Amber "oh hi Krystal" 

Krystal gave her a smile of acknowledgement "congratulations Ellin" 

"Thank you" she also realized it was only both of them together having dinner. 

"Are you guys finally together?" She gestured to the both of them unaware of the awkward tension between them. 

Amber shared a look with Krystal as Ellin continued "Come on, I let you go all those years ago just to hear that you both are still in this eternal limbo?" 

Krystal raised her brows and finally decided to speak up "actually we are together" Krystal offered her a small smile as she reached for Amber's hand on the table. 

"Phew, and I thought this will turn into an awkward conversation. "Amber's a keeper Krsytal; back then she used to cancel dates with me just so she could babysit your daughter" Ellin teased, unaware of how uncomfortable Amber was becoming.

"She did?" Ellin nodded enthusiastically. 

"I was actually heading to the ladies, I don't want to intrude you any further. It's nice meeting you both. Take care of each other"   

The two women had forgotten all about Ellin and were trapped in their own world. Both having so much to ask and so much to say but neither knew where to begin. 

"Why are you so nice to me Am? You know I can't give you what you want" the younger woman spoke. Okay, that totally not what she was trying to say. Her defence mechanism kicking in at the wrong moment. She always had a knack of not admitting her faults largely due to her ego, and at worst of times, they usually hit with hurtful words. 
 
Amber had an unreadable expression on her face as she scoffed "is that what you think of me Krys?" 

"What do you mean?" 

"That everything I've done for you is because I want you to be with me?" Amber kept her head down, refusing to look Krystal in the eye. 

"You question my sincerity towards Hayley. I watched her grow up as well Soojung. I love her as any parent would" she said bitterly, feeling betrayed and dissapointed that her best friend would think of her that way. 

Krystal sighed, instantly regretting what she just said. 
 
Amber chuckled and decided to end whatever it is that Krystal was trying  to imply and bitterly said "you know what? Let's just order. I'm starving" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" who's that? I didn't hire her" Hayley pointed out as Luna tried to get a better view of the new comer to their table.

"Oh my god" realization dawned upon Luna.

"What?!"

"Her name's Ellin, she used to date Amber. Back when you were still a toddler. They didn't last very long though" 

"What happened?" 

Luna sighed "she accused Amber of not caring enough. You and your mother will always be a priority to her no matter what" 

Hayley looked down, instantly feeling guilty for being such a brat in the past.

Luna quickly dismissed her "hey don't worry about it. Ellin was a possessive anyways. Ugh now that I think about it there was so much crying and whining" 

Luna rambled on "and then there's the calling always wanting to know her whereabouts, the pretentious fondness she had over you...."

Hayley begun to zone out as Luna took a lone walk into memory lane and decided to check on her parents instead, and when she turned towards the direction of their table, she noticed the moments of brief sorrow in Amber's face before it turned happy again. To her, Amber had always been good at hiding her feelings and it amazed the teenager how she could momentarily switch from being upset to being upbeat and pretending like she had no care in the world. 


God, she hoped she didn't mess up bad. 


Maybe this was a bad idea after all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Silence hung in the air like a heavy cloud looming above them as both Krystal and Amber decided to ignore each other after placing their orders. Krystal feeling remorseful but didnt know how she should apologize as she stole a glance at Amber who decided to reply some work emails on her phone instead. 


They have certainly fought before in the past. Given how stubborn Krystal is and she was surprise at how patient the older woman was to her, always giving in. Always apologizing first eventhough sometimes she knew it wasn't Amber's fault anyway. She was a brat and she knew it, all the more knowing how she doesn't deserve someone as kind as her best friend. 


"And you didn't have to lie for me you know" the older woman decided to finally speak out snapping Krystal from her inner conflict. 


Krystal send her a questioning look but Amber's gaze was still locked on her phone. Her jaw taut from clenching as Krystal could tell she was trying hard to phrase her words.


"I mean to Ellin. You didn't have to lie to her to save me the embarassment" she heard the older woman sigh. 


Amber continued "look, I'm sorry okay. You're my best friend and I love you. Both you and Hayley, and to think you would ever see me like that, like I was some sort of saint that thinks she's entitled to your love and attention just because I took care of you when you needed most, it hurts"


Her voice went low, almost to a sad whisper "I thought you would know after all these years" 


For once, Krystal was rendered speechless. It broke her heart that she had just hurt the person that had cared and unconditionally loved her for so many years. The one person that did not look down on her for being a pregnant teenager, that one person who had protected her from the judgemental world. Now she felt like the world's biggest . If only she knew what to say. 


She started "Am, I..." 


"Forget about it Krys. We're here to celebrate Hayley's achievements. Let's not dwell on the past" Amber had cut her off. Probably saving herself from having to listen to anymore rejections. She would ponder about it later tonight, as usual, in Scott's bar. 

As if on queue, which technically it was, since Hayley and Luna were seated nearby but out of their peripheral vision.  Amber's familiar ringtone began playing on her phone. The older woman stole a glance at her phone and decided to pick it up.


"It's Hayley" she said before answering. 


At that moment, their food began arriving and Krystal was left with nothing  but to drop what she had wanted to say initially. They had both been so immersed in what had happened they were beginning to forget what they were supposed to be here for. 


In truth, Kystal was also afraid that now Hayley was leaving for college, Amber would have less reason to want to hang out with her anymore, since she couldn't remember the last time Hayley was not in the picture. It was always the three of them. That was why she had agreed to go out with Kai, one of the executives in her office. She knew he had been wanting to ask her out for a long time. And it was better to distract her than to acknowledge the fact that soon Amber no longer had a reason to come over anymore. 


Hayley had became the reluctant reason that had binded them both together so well. And it scared her now that she's going away.


"It's Hayley. Said she couldn't make it. Last minute call for their application essay. Apparently how they test their students for the final time before entry." Amber said as she put down the phone and began reaching for her utensils. 


"Come on, lets finish this so we can go home. I'm sure you're tired" the older woman gave her a smile for peace offering. 


Krystal smiled back in return. Albeit a little awkwardly. 


They spend most of dinner eating in silence. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Well, that went well" Hayley deadpanned. 


Luna offered her an unconvincing smile "aww, come on, its just one dinner. You don't expect them to resolve decades of in one night" 

"Decades?" 


"Please those two had been pining for each other like a bunch of pathetic teenagers. One too stubborn, the other too nice and too stupid to do anything about it" Hayley can sense the frustration coming out from the shorter woman. 


Then again, she did have the front seat to their frustrating non-existent relationship for almost twenty years. She gets where it was coming from. 


"Guess we'll have to try again then" Hayley offered enthusiasticly to cheer her aunt up. Or to calm her down. Whichever sounds better. 


Luna agreed and nodded along. Perhaps, they would have better luck next time. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Except, they didn't get to try again. Hayley had been really preoccupied with freshman enrollment and moving that by the time she could breathe again she was already two days shy of her flight to Boston. 


Her mother and Amber had been back to normal again. Well, as normal as they could be. Amber still comes over for meals, they talked and joked around like always. But the air around them had changed; there will be times where conversations take a dramatic pause and they would both stare at each other discreetly and do that annoying infatuated smile to themselves.


But yeah, normal as can be. 


Hayley sighed to herself. Well, guess matchmaking her parents would have to wait till she comes home for thanksgiving. Luna had also been busy, given Onew, her boyfriend of five years had proposed to her last weekend and she had been running around getting preparations in order. 


They had gathered in the weekend to celebrate the cheeerful woman's engagement. She spotted Amber and Krystal getting along quite well. Her mom was giving the older woman that soft melancholy look she usually reserved for anyone but her. If only there was a way to speed up the process. 


She was going to miss this. Although she was excited in starting a new chapter in life. She would miss her parents terribly. Especially her mom; Hayley and Krystal were inseparable and since she started into teenagehood, they shared everything together. There was also Amber, who never failed to encourage her and brighten up her day. Even at the worst of times. 


She hopes that when she leaves, they would both fall onto each other for support. Hayley knew her mother well enough to see that she wasn't comfortable with strangers or with people that she didn't know well. And with her gone, she would be lonely. 


That is until she began searching for her mother at the engagement party. It was a fairly intimate event tucked at a small rooftop lounge in the city. It was a semi formal casual event, cozied by the dimmed lights and grand furniture as waiters bust around offering finger food, champagne and wine. She could recognize a few people from her parent's circle of friends they share with Luna. 


The shorter woman was absolutely glowing; floating about the room from conversation to conversation with her fiance and bouts of people congratulating them. But it seems her parents were no longer present in the vicinity despite her craning her neck around in search for them. 


'Maybe they've gone to the bathroom' she reasoned and proceeded to exit the main area into the halls winding down to the ladies comfort room. As she turn down a dimly lit hallway she could hear the unmistakable voice of her mother. Was she, giggling? 


And as she approached the source of her voice she couldn't help but notice a familiar voice accompanying her mother's. Right when she rounded the corner of the hallway, she stopped right in her tracks, frozen in shock from the initial disbelief of what she was seeing. 


There, right in front of her; were her mother and Amber. Nope that wasn't the shocking part, that was pretty normal actually. It was the position there were currently in; her mom had her back against the wall with Amber pinning intimately against her. The older woman had one hand on Krystal's waist while the other rested on the wall next to her head. Her mother had that look on her face and was smilling coyly while looking up at the slightly taller woman in front of her.  


Her shock then almost turned into a heart attack as she saw Amber leaning in to capture Krystal's lips in a full on kiss. With the other returning the sentiment in equal fervor.


Quickly recovering from her shock, she immediately retreated into the nearest adjacent hallway obscuring her from being seen by her parents. 


"I've been wanting to do that all night" Amber admitted after they broke the kiss. They were still staring at each other lovingly. 


What. the.

That was all that she could think of as she grasped her chest tightly, where her heart was beating furiously and she was trying to remember how to breathe. And as she regained her bearings, she leaned against the wall inching closer but not close enough to be seen by them. 


Then she heard Amber's low voice "We should tell Hayley soon you know. It's been weeks. I feel bad hiding this from her"

 
Krystal sighed heavily "I know, but she has been so busy with freshman enrollment I just didn't want to distract her" then the tone of guilt changed to flirty "besides, isn't this fun? sneaking around like a bunch of teenagers"


Amber rolled her eyes, her mischevious glint matching Krystal's "yeah sure, a couple of thirty year olds sneaking around sounds exciting. The novel writes itself" 

"Come on Am, I want this fun to last a little longer before we resume parent duty" 


And then Hayley heard the unmistakable sound of lips smacking and as much as she loves them both,


Eww. Gross.


The kissing stopped a while later  and her mother resumed talking "I'm just not ready yet Am. I love you but give me a little more time" this time she resigned to carress the the lapel of Amber's blazer lovingly. 


She heard Amber sigh in defeat and agreed "I love you too and I want you to take your time. But Hayley deserves the truth. We owe her that much" 


Hayley couldn't help but be touched by Amber's words. 


Krystal hummed in agreement "soon, I promise. She's my daughter, you know her opinion matters to me more than anyone else" 


 "God, you look amazing in this dress, have I told you that already?" okay, that was the extent of the conversation Hayley was willing  to hear. For her parents' sanity and her own. 

"you did stupid, but I could use a reminder" 


Okay, it was really time for her to leave. 


As she stumbled her way back to the main hall as normal as she could. She couldn't help but think the signs that she had missed. Her brilliant mind going into overdrive as it calculated the possibilites. Granted she wasn't home very often as of late. She was always at school, the library or cafe grinding away with her batchmates getting ready for that entrance exam or securing a dorm for her accommodations.


She decided to look back into her mind for a time frame that could put exactly when did her parents get together. That horrible dinner that went wrong was exactly a month ago, and Amber did said they were together for a few weeks already. 


That puts the time frame closely to that day. But what had changed? 

The last she saw the exit them restaurant with Luna, they were pretty awkward with each other. She could feel the tension just by standing there. Granted, they were hiding behind the windows the whole time. Amber looked miserable while her mother had guilt written all over her face. 


After the whole shock of catching them in the act had died down, she was truly happy for them. Granted, she didn't want to see them making out ever again. She was gonna need brain bleach for that. (Spoiler; she did really needed that, for another time in the near future when she catches them again)


She would also find out that it was on the exact night of the failure that is Luna's 'Plan Kryber' that things had changed. Maybe it wasn't a failure like they thought after all? 

 

 

 

So lets recap back to that night, 

 

 

 

 


Krystal sighed heavily ask she began removing her coat and throwing her bag on the couch. Tonight was supposed to be a great night. Why did it have to turn to ? 
After dumping her belongings and outer layers aside, she walked towards the kitchen to retrieve a glass and her favourite bottle of wine. She really needed a drink to sort herself out. 


She would have to blame that woman for walking in. But why did it matter anyway with whom Amber was sleeping with? Didn't she want this? For her bestfriend to be happy? The thought of her with another woman didn't sit well with Krystal. 


She then slumped tiredly towards the couch before pouring herself a glass of wine and plopping on the couch with a huge sigh. She was glad Hayley wasn't home or at dinner to witness the disaster that was tonight. 


She took a huge gulp and began to ponder on the fight they almost had, the fight which would have turned sour if not for Amber's abrupt apology and switch in topic.

Then there was that guilt sitting there, with what Ellin had revealed. Her suspisions of them breaking up because of her had been confirmed by Ellin herself. And Amber had been really uncomfortable with that. 


Then, as if things wasn't bad enough, she had made matters worst by spewing hurtful and insensitive comments at the older woman. Dinner was just a series of silence and momentarily pauses of awkwardness, even if they do speak. 


They spent the entire car ride home in silence as well. A rare occurence since they had always been bantering and annoying the hell out of each other for as long as she could remember.  Amber had her hands on the wheel and was busy navigating traffic while she pretended to be busy on her phone. The elevator ride back to their units was no different, with the only thing the older woman had said to her was a quiet goodnight before retreating back into her apartment. 


What was she so afraid of? And what was this anxiety creeping up her at this moment? Since she saw the hurt on her best friend's face. She knew it wasn't right. And she had to set things right, before this became unrepairable. Before the fear of her knowing that this might be the last straw for Amber. Before the older woman would finally realize she has had enough of her brattiness. 


She had spend her whole life watching people leave her, and she wasn't willing the risk losing the one person that had mattered so much to her. She had decieded that she was done fighting whatever her demons had been telling her. She had decided she wanted Amber to know how she really felt. That was the least she could for all the years they had been through together. 


And if Amber didn't feel the same anymore. It would all be on her then. With no one to blame but herself. 


With that final thought in mind and a burst of courage on her end, maybe a little buzz from the wine, she marched purposedly towards the older woman's apartment. 
Amber answered the door after the third ring. Albeit, a little frantic from her side. Like her, she still had on her clothes from dinner, with the exception of her tie and blazer gone, leaving her in her white shirt untucked from her black slacks. 


"Yes?" Amber looked at her sceptically. Worried she might be picking another fight and pushing the ball of denial towards her court again like she had done so many times in the past. 


Like always, Krystal walked past her and made her way into Amber's home. She noticed the bottle of scotch sitting on the coffee table. Guess she wasn't the only one drinking tonight. 


She turned around to face the older woman after she had shut the door. 


"We need to talk" 


She heard Amber sigh heavily "Soojung-ah, we've talked about this in the restaurant already. I'm sorry okay? I won't bring it up again" 


"No, its not that" she shook her head. Her heart beating frantically and her head feeling so light she thought she was gonna pass out from the nervousness. 


"I'm a brat. We all know it. I know people get sick of how I behave and they leave after awhile. Hayley's dad did the same, why would it be any different for you?" 
She cut off Amber's protest  and continued "at least, that's what  I thought. I told myself that if I didn't let anyone in. Then technically they can't leave. Its not right for me to put my insecurities on you and you stayed, you stayed despite everything I have done. And I'm really sorry for the things I said at the restaurant, I'm sorry if anything I have ever said and done for the past twenty years hurt you" 


She knew she was beginning to cry. She could feel tightening and that sting in her eyes. 


"I keep waiting for you to walk out the door, for you to tell me that you finally had it with me. I've been so blinded by the comfort of my own lies and excuse I have built for myself that I forgot to see how much I have hurt you in the process"


She covered with her hand to hide the sob that was escaping and was barely able to make out "Am, I'm so sorry. I hope its not too late for you to forgive me" 


It was silent in Amber's living room as all she could hear were her ugly sobs and Amber's own breathing. As she let her head down and continued to cry, she felt a pair strong arms embracing her tightly. 


"It's okay Soojung. I have never even thought of walking out on you ever. Your brattiness is just part of who you are. Its parts of you I love and embrace as well. All I ever wanted was for you to know you feel safe and wanted with me. That bastard doesn't deserve you at all. He can burn in hell for all  I care" 


Her sobs continued as she clung on desperately to Amber, her body slumping tiredly against the other from the emotional whirlwind she had been going through tonight. The older woman returned her embrace, pulling her in and rubbing her back in a comforting gesture. 


And then she felt it, the hesitance in her tone. 


"I have never once blamed you for anything. But I want you to know, I need time Krys" she broke the embrace so she can look up at Amber and gave her a confused look. 


Amber smiled sadly at her in return "I realized that after tonight, maybe it was my fault, that I had been giving you signals that I would want something in return from you. I've decided that I need time to move on. I know you're seeing Kai now and I need a little space from us. So that I can take a breather and come back and be your friend again." 


"I can't do it now. Not like this, and I want you to be happy. But I want my heart to be okay with this" she chuckled a little in embarassment "I'm sorry if I'm being selfish right now" 


Krystal's heart broke Amber's selfless-ness. How could she apologize for something as natural as her feelings. But then she was also confused, how did Amber know? It was not like they were exclusive or anything. They just went out for a couple of dates. None of them had even gone past the bedroom. 


"How did you know?" 


Amber let out a sad smile. Still trying to be fine about everything "I saw you. Outside. I didn't mean to pry. I was sick the other day and I was too tired to go out and get meds, then when I heard you come home I wanted to see if you had any in your first aid. That's when I saw you kiss him" 


"I'm sorry" Amber admitted. 


Krystal shook her head. The remnants of her tears beginning to dry off "I didn't mean for anyone to see that" then it clicked in her head "Is that why you have been avoiding me lately?" 


Amber shrugged "I figured I needed some time for my heart to adjust. It's not like I can ever hope or force you to love me back. I have made peace with that a long time ago. Guess you just caught me off guard that day"


Krystal looked up at Amber and held her gaze. Amber had been giving her alot of that smile lately; the resigned smile that didn't quite reach her eyes and how tired they were "you don't have to force me to love you Am" 


"Because I already do" 


If this weren't a serious confession, Krystal would have laughed at the expression on her bestfriend's face. 


"What?" her eyes went as wide as saucers. 


"I'm saying I love you too stupid" 


Amber started tearing herself "I'm dreaming right? I'm pissed out drunk and dreaming again aren't I?" 


It was Krystal's turn to be shocked "What? You always dream of us?" 


Amber smiled bashfully as she rubbed her nape "yeah, I'm such a creep. I'm sorry."


"Is that why you pretended like nothing happened after we made out on your couch yesterday?" 


"WHAT? THAT WAS REAL?" Amber's smile faltered and turn into an expression of utter horror. 


"You were drunk, I was trying to get you into the house and then you kissed me" 


", I'm so sorry Krys. I didn't mean it. I didn't mean to force myself on you. Really, , you should just slapped me, I... I really love you for so long and I can't really control what happens when I'm drunk and I..." and just like that Krystal got tired of listening to the other ramble and made a move to grab collar, pulling the older woman down for a kiss. This time both of them sober, well, sort of. 


Amber though shocked but happy, decided to wrapped her arms around Krystal's waist and responded by slipping her tongue into her waiting mouth. Both of them taking their time to explore each other.  When they did pull apart for air Krystal beamed at her "was this as good as your dreams?" 


Amber was smilling so widely she didn't care that her cheeks were hurting "It's perfect" 


Much later, while they were cuddling in Amber's bed, their clothes strewn all over the floor and laying in a tangled mix of limbs and sheets, glowing in the aftermath of their post ic state did Amber really asked


"Does that mean I can call you mine now? For real?" 


Krystal would sigh and respond happily "yes, now shut up and kiss me" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Okay, if there was one thing Hayley had not realise before accidentally stumbling across them was actually how obvious her parents were actually behaving. The lovesick stares, the subtle touches, and how her mother's face would crack into a wide smile everytime she stares at her phone. Probably from texting Amber. It was not like Hayley was purposely spying on them, in all honesty, they were behaving like those disgusting couples at school. 


Too in love to pay any attention to anything or anyone around them.


It's cute to see them like this; god knows they deserve the happiness they're finally getting. 


The three of them were currently having breakfast before she leaves to the aiport. Actually Hayley was expecting them to finally come clean with her for the past two days now. Maybe her mother had not been ready yet. And she didn't want to push. 


But it would finally be great to not watch them have eye- everytime she's in the room with them. They could probably hold hands or do whatever couples do when they're not hiding. 


She would be back for thanksgiving anyway, maybe they were planning on a big reveal. She also couldn't wait to see the look on Luna's face when her bubbly aunt would finally find out that her hard work all these years had finally paid off. 


Still, she couldn't wait. 


Even while she was reading the campus guide on her phone while munching on her toast, she could hear her parents giggling from the kitchen. Her mother's lame excuse of "I need more coffee" and Amber's eager "me too" was enough to make her roll her eyes at them. 


The trip to the airport was uneventful, with her mother getting emotional about her 'baby' leaving the nest. The three of them shared a hug before she went in the boarding hall. 


"You take good care of yourself kiddo, and have fun" Amber gave her a last warm bear hug.

 
"Love you Li" 


Her goodbyes with her mother were just as emotional. She gave one last look at her parents who had already turned around and had their hands laced tightly together as they exited the terminal. She couldn't help but smile. 


This really was the best graduation gift she could ask for. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Of course, that wasn't the end,


Her parents had yet to come clean of their relationship with her. And she was about to need that brain bleach she thought about when she first caught them during Luna's engagement party. 


Probably a few thousand gallons of it. Maybe, she should just drown herself in it. 


As Hayley got out of the cab right infront of her apartment complex, she couldn't help but feel glad to finally be home. Don't get her wrong, she loved Harvard, two months in and her assignments and exams were finally starting to pick up and she was starting to adjust to campus life. 


She missed being babied by her mother and Amber. And eventhough they video called and had long phone conversations with each other, she couldn't help but miss them. Her mother had finally let slipped that she was seeing somebody, purposedly leaving out Amber's name and promised that she would be able to meet the person soon. 


Amber had been far more vagued with her love life, though she looked happier than Hayley had ever seen her. She can't wait to see them and finally have them date openly in front of her. It was tiring to watch them hide. (Albeit, not as discreet as they may think they were) 


And as she entered her house quietly, getting ready to her surprise her mother in bed after not seeing her for two months, she made two mistakes that morning. 


One, she had not informed either of her parents that she was coming home today, instead letting them know she would be home tomorrow in hopes of surprising them. 


Two, after almost seventeen years of growing up with her mother she had never thought of knocking whenever they enter each other's bedroom. Afterall, they were both women and its not like her mother had men over ever. Also, she had forgotten about Amber and her mother being together. 


Hard to wrap that concept around your head after only three months of secretly knowing they were together. 


And when she had barged in at six in the morning into her mother's bedroom, what she had seen would forever be ingrained into her mind.


As it was still dark she could make out the shape of two figures staring back at her in horror. There her mother was, in the as her back faced her while she sat, straddled on Amber's lap. She was thankful that the sheets had managed to block out whatever that was going on at the bottom half of their  self and her mother's long hair blocking her view of Amber's front who was unfortunately facing her. 


"OH MY GOD!" that was all her brilliant mind was able to conjure as she slammed the room door loudly. She felt like she was going throw up.


From outside, she could hear Amber and her mother whisper yelling at each other 


"I thought she was coming back tomorrow?!" 


"We didn't forget did we?" 
" Amber, put on some clothes" there was some scurrying and rustling about as they hurried to get dressed and decent. 


"That wasn't what you were a while ago" Hayley didn't know if she should laugh or cry at that. 


"Shut up"


She took a seat on the couch and sighed heavily, trying to press both her palms into her eyeballs so she could forget what she had just witnessed. 


Moments later, she could hear her mother's room door open. She groaned in agony, better get this over and done with. 


"Hey Li" it was Amber. She was fully clothed now, in her usual hoodie and sweatpants. The older woman was smilling at her sheepishly. 


"I'm glad you're home. We missed you kiddo" well at this point she wanted to get up and give her god mother a hug. 


Amber laughed nervously "I would hug you Li, but I don't think I should" 


Hayley cringed. Oh god, from where she was seating, she could make out that Amber's hair was still damp from sweat. Gross.


"I'll go make coffee and something for you to eat. You're probably tired from your flight" and with that, the older woman made a break for the kitchen in hopes of avoiding anything as awkward as this. 


Fifteen minutes later her mother finally exited her room, all fresh and clean from her shower. 


Hayley was already seated at the dining table as Amber began serving the coffee and some toasts for her goddaughter. She finally stood and reached for a hug with Krystal. 


"I missed you mom"

"Me too" and then they were back at avoiding eye contact with each other. 


Amber was the first break the awkward silence by clearing . 


"So um Hayley, I think you should sit down for this. There's something we want to tell you" 


Krystal cut in "We were actually planning to tell you this tomorrow at dinner. When we thought you were actually supposed to be home" 


Yeah, Hayley thought, trust her mom to turn the guilt trip around on situations like these. 


Amber nodded  "we were sorry you have to see.... that" and cringed for a lack of better words


"I thought I could surprise you guys. My exams are done and the professors let us out early so  I thought it would be cool if I came home early without telling you guys" then she rolled her eyes "clearly I was wrong"


Krystal and Amber were doing that staring conversation thing that parents do in front of their children, except Hayley was no longer five and she narrowed her eyes to them in annoyance. 


Her mother then smiled at her "What Amber meant was" she glared at older woman before continuing "we're glad that you're home. And about what you... saw earlier.. it wasn't our intention for you to find out this way"


She let her mother continue after a short pause "remember when I told you I was seeing someone? That person is Amber" 


"We're sorry we haven't been honest with you. We just wanted to make sure this was really headed somewhere before we decided to come clean" Amber smiled as she spoke carefully. 


This time it was Hayley's turn to come clean as well, she had been toying with that idea and decided to be honest with them  "Actually guys, I've known for a while now" 


"WHAT?!" she almost laughed at the matching expression of shock on her parents' faces. Almost. 


"Yeah, since before I left for college" Hayley smiled sheepishly. "I had been trying to set you both up from the beginning" 


"Luna helped" she added "before she bailed on me for marriage preparations" 


"We're so sorry we dragged you into this" Krystal spoke while clinging onto her daughter from her chair. 


Hayley laughed and hugged her mother in return, she really miss this "hey, I'm really happy for you both. But please, don't ever let me see something like that ever again for as long as  I live. Actually, not even when I'm dead, please and thank you" 


Amber fake saluted her "You got it kiddo" 


"Oh and please, I want to be there when you break this to Luna" 


And she was, there was alot of screaming and tears. Luna even went all her way out to throw them a get together party. Norhing deserves celebration like true love she would say.


 In five years, Hayley would smile and be thankful for her parents as she watch her mother finally walk down the aisle with the teary eyes and biggest smile on her face as she married her best friend. Luna would be right beside them, shedding happy tears as well. And Amber would always remind her in the future how stunning she looked (not that she looked any less on any other day) and how happy she felt being tied to her forever. Krystal would swooning inside while she kept an annoyed exterior eventhough they both know it wasn't true. 

It took them a little nudge and almost two decades, but they made it.


Amber Liu and Krystal Jung were meant for each other. Nothing could convince her otherwise.