Video Games

Shorts and Shots

Video Games

Warning: slight ual content and mention of substances.

 

Swinging in the backyard 
Pull up in your fast car
Whistling my name 

 

Krystal woke up with a start, dry and her head reeling from the high she had last night. The urge to reach for her bottle of water she knew she had somewhere in the room was strong but all she wanted to do was to wallow back into the comfort of the sheets and never surface. She tried recalling the events that took place yesterday. She knew she had from the way the cheap motel sheets scratch against her bare skin and judging from the numbness on her tongue and throat, she had some jay too. 

She took a deep breath and let her hand comb through her hair splitting her fringe to the sides and taming the wild strands from her sleep. She let out a groan and itch for a cigarette. Maybe two. 

 

Open up a beer
And you say "Get over here"
And play a video game 

 

A soft pair of lips greeted her neck right as she lit the last stick from her Malboro reds pack. 

"Morning love" she smiled at the hint of semblance in Amber's tone. Probably making up for the lack of romance between them. 

Sure they were in love but the young couple had too much on their plate for now. Nothing but misfortune and trouble ever since they got together. She took another drag as Amber showered her shoulder with kisses. 

"Did you sleep well?" it was rhetorical, Krystal knew but she nodded anyway. They shifted to a more comfortable position, with her leaning against the headboard while Amber on her side with her head propped on her hand. 

She was admiring the goddess right before her; the way the sheets wrapped around her body, chastising whatever they did last night, how her hair was messy yet natural it seemed almost impossible, the way she held her cigarette and how she let the swirl of smoke escape from her lips. 

Everything seemed perfect. Even when they're not. 

 

I'm in his favourite sundress
Watching me get undressed
Take that body downtown 

 

Soft sighs and whimpers filled the dark room as Krystal let her head hit against the pillows beneath her, sheets long off and long forgotten as her body lay exposed, her hands balled up in fists against the sheets as the older girl made love to her between her legs. 


A series of curses followed her gasps as she felt her lover's warm hot tongue swiped deeper, harder, more urgent. It wasn't enough and she knew, she knew she wanted more and she reached for the back of Amber's head pushing down as she gave her hips a hard sending her girlfriend's long talented tongue possibly deeper. 

And when Amber's hands reached for her s she came. 

A long loud moan and silence filled the room once again. 

 

I say "you're the bestest"
Lean in for a big kiss
Put his favourite perfume on 
Go play a video game

 

By the time they checked out it was a little past noon. 


"We're all set" Amber announced as she got into the car after loading the trunk with their bags, ready for their long drive to nowhere. Krystal grabbed her collar and gave her a deep kiss. The older girl smiled into the kiss. 


She knew it was her way of saying I love you.


They broke apart and Amber put the keys into the ignition, sending the engine to a starting roar. A while later, We Are Scientists played on the radio and Amber sang along to the lyrics of After Hours occasionally drumming on the steering and bobbing her head to the music. 


Krystal broke into a laugh at her antics and they held hands throughout the journey. 

 

It's you, It's you, It's all  for you
Everything I do 
I tell you all the time 
Heaven is a place on earth with you
Tell me all the thing you wanna do
I heard that you like the bad girls honey,
It's that true? 

 

"My mum said I should keep you" Amber said suddenly during lunch. They had stopped by at some roadside diner before heading to meet Amber's friends in the next town. 


Krystal paused and went back munching on her fries that she had with her order of burger. 

"When did you see her?" after a long silence. 

"Before we left" 
Krystal nodded. 

"Krys, I didn't mean it. I made a mistake and I'm.... I'm sorry" 

Another curt nod and she cut her off "I know. We've gone past that and I don't really wanna talk about it right now" 

And she said none of it during their entire meal together. 

 

It's better than I ever even knew

They say that the world was built for two

Only worth living if somebody is loving you
Baby now you do

 

 

Two cigarette breaks and some more driving they finally made it. It was a small town, nothing fancy. Amber's friend owns the local bar and he had an inn above where they'll be staying for a few days. 


She looks on as they exchange greetings and stories. Suddenly, she felt so alone in the world. She was never unhappy, just lonely. Her parents and older sister had her sheltered from the world, they filled her with stories of antagonists and liars and how she should stay far away from them. She grew up believing in fairy tales and happy endings. She grew up hoping to meet her prince charming and to be swoop off her feet. 

That was till she went to college, and her prince charming came in the form of Amber Liu. She was no prince, no princess in fact. Her parents, her wholesome parents hated her tattoos and piercings, hated her shaved sides and blond hair. Hated that she was a dyke who was tarnishing their pure daughter. Hated how even if it wasnt her fault, that Krystal began to grow distant and cold. 

The smoking, the drinking, the getting high came after she got disowned. It escalated when she found out Amber cheated. 

She burned. 

Her thoughts were broken when Amber took hold of her hand and had their bags in her other hand. Amber had a wide grin on as she rambled on about performing in the bar that night. 

Krystal simply smiled back. 

 

Singing in the old bars 
Swinging with the old stars
Living for the fame 

 

She sat by the bar, a bottle of beer in hand as everyone listened to her girlfriend playing on stage. 

"Lets get out of here. Just me and you. An adventure" 

She agreed. She took her back and agreed on a road trip with Amber. 

She had been trying to let go, to forget. Getting stoned made it easier, and Amber had to come back begging and pleading for another chance. 

Just once she thought maybe this trip was good for the both of them. And even though she loves Amber very much, she knew this trip will be right for them to discover themselves. If they had it in them to make it, together, as a couple. 

She took a swig from her beer and thought if they can't make it, then it will be a proper closure for her. For her to learn the hard way that sometimes, love just isn't enough.  

Little did she know, Amber only had eyes for her the whole night she performed on stage.  

 

Kissing in the blue dark
Playing pool and wild darts 
Video games

The bar is long closed but Amber and her friends were far from calling it a night. Amber had a protective arm around her girlfriend as they drank and talked early into the morning. They weren't that bad people

Henry, the owner, made small talk with her and she onwed his in pool. She had picked up pool during times of her depression, where she and her friends would smoke up and play pool  and talk till wee hours in the morning. Amber had no knowledge of that of course and she was more than surprised at how good Krystal was at pool. 

She refused to tell her how. Its better she didn't know anyway. 

It wasn't the brightest time in her life. Though that memory had begun to seem distant the past few months. 

 

He holds me in his big arms
Drunk and I am seeing stars
This is all I think of

 

"I love you" she heard her murmur after making love that morning. She knew Amber had been trying hard to make up for her mistake. Even if it was a drunken confession but nothing sounds more sincere right now to her ears. 

They were both drunk, and they were laying in a tangle of limbs and sheets. Amber was spooning her and she could feel how her chest shook against her the back of her shoulders and how her hair was beginning to feel damp from Amber's tears. 

She knew Amber barely cried, during their span of two years together, the older girl barely shed a tear. She was the crybaby. 

And it seemed that their roles had reversed somewhat of late. She saw how Amber first cried when she left and how she begged desperately for the other to stay. 

"I know you're still hurt. And I'll do anything to take that away" she finally spoke after her sobs died down. 

"I see it in yours eyes you know, I see the the pain, the distrust, I see hesitance" Amber continued quickly knowing how she would avoid the subject as she had been doing for the past few weeks they had been travelling together. 

"I know that you have the right to kick me out to the curb anytime. And I'm thankful you didnt, I'm grateful that you took me back. And I swear I'll kill myself this time if I ever ed up again"

She turned to hug her girlfriend and they shared another kiss.  

"I know" She finally spoke. 

 

Watching all our friends fall
In and out of Old Paul's 
This is my idea of fun 
Playing video games 

Two days later they were back on the road again, this time they were heading to Disneyland. 

"Why?" she remembered whining to her girlfriend. She wasn't one to enjoy themeparks. They had way too much happiness for her to comprehend. But she knew she wouldn't say no to her either. 

Things had somehow changed after her confession that night. Krystal had began to losen up and her smiles were reaching her eyes again. And she would do anything for them to stay. The air of tension and awkwardness was beginning to dissipate, and she couldn't help but be elated. 

Things were finally going back to the way they were supposed to. 

And when she pulled up into Disney World Resorts Themepark and  the twinkle in Krystal's eyes told her she did the right thing. 

Though it was no fairy tale ending, Krystal could see the path they were heading to, it wasn't as bleak as she thought it was in the past. 

She entertwined their hands and lead them to the entrance. 

Now you do

Now you do 

Now you do