ii/ii

take me back to the start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone had breakfast as early as 6 in the morning.

All the doctors were already prepared and were seated behind the long tables and were assembled according to their specialties.

‘This would be easier for the people to recognize,” Dr. Lee had said with a proud clap since he was the person in-charge for organizing the event and everything else.

And since Jongin also specializes in cardio, he was seated right beside Kyungsoo.

If the patients had a chance to choose their doctor, most of the females would (of course) pick Jongin. Kyungsoo wasn’t a bad doctor himself, not at all, but he knew they wanted a more-good-looking-doctor to check up on them. They’d all stare at him with eyes shaped like diamonds, sometimes hearts even.

But Kyungsoo didn’t really mind because most of the population would always get their bones checked first, probably only 70 percent wants to get their hearts examined.

In addition to his fine looks, Jongin is also an exceedingly skilled doctor. He knows how to handle patients very well, despite the gaps of their ages. He talked to them politely, making them feel cared for and he explained every single thing they needed to know about their health conditions with ease and most especially, that charming smile of his never got wiped out of his features.

 The line for cardio was empty at the moment when a little boy (most likely aged around 5 or 6) shyly approaches him in front.

“E-Excuse me, Doctor,” he squeaks, “b-but can you help me? My skin stings.” he gestures to his arm and Kyungsoo could see that he was restraining his tears from coming out.

There was an abrasion on the back of his arm. It looked fresh and the affected part of the wound was red from the scratches. 

Kyungsoo stands up then he carries the little boy by his armpits, careful enough not to make contact with the abrasion, “Let’s be careful okay, we don’t want it to hurt.”

He puts the boxes of medicine and papers aside before gently placing him on top of the clothed table. He picks up the first aid kit as he flashes him a reassuring smile, “It’ll be okay.”

“Hello there little buddy!” Jongin sing songs from next to him, leaning down to pat the boy’s soft mop of hair. “I’m Doctor Kim Jongin,” he chirps, “but you can just call me Jongin hyung.”

The child’s eyes were fixated on Jongin now and Kyungsoo smiles knowingly at the younger doctor because the little boy’s attention was now set on something else and not on him dressing the wound.

“What’s your name?”

“I’m Seo Minjoon!” he says happily as Kyungsoo applies an antiseptic along the scratches. Kids at Minjoon’s age would probably flinch and cry during the treatment but instead he was impressed because the child didn’t even show any indication of pain.

“How old are you, Minjoon?” Jongin asks him and at the same time Kyungsoo started to cover the wound with a clean dressing. He admits, Jongin was doing a pretty good job in diverting the patient’s attention. He just had to do it quickly but carefully.

He smoothly raises the boy’s arm to finally secure the band and that was when Minjoon started to notice the doctor treating his arm. He gazes right through it and looks back up at Jongin, “I’m 6! Umma says I’m a big boy now.”

“Of course you are!” Jongin agrees proudly, “See, you got your wound fixed without crying.”

Minjoon giggles cutely, facing Kyungsoo, “Thank you so much doctor-hyung! It doesn’t hurt anymore.”

Seeing children joyful sure made his heart flutter in warmth.

He says ‘you’re welcome’ with a beam when Jongin playfully swings his arm around his shoulder and Kyungsoo almost stumbles on his feet at the sudden action.

“Doctor-hyung’s name is Kyungsoo. You can call him hyung if you want! He wouldn’t really mind.” Jongin glances at him for approval and Kyungsoo removes Jongin’s arms off him with a grumble before smiling sweetly at the little boy, “It’s nice to meet you Minjoon.”

“You’re really nice hyung! I think Jongin hyung likes you very m—“ 

“Okay now I think we should go look for your eomma.” Jongin squeezes in before hoisting the little boy up into his arms, carrying him so carefully as if he already was experienced on these types of things. “Let’s go little buddy she might be looking for you already.”

Minjoon pouts sadly as he makes goodbye gestures with his hands, “Bye bye Kyungsoo hyung!”

“I’ll see you around okay? Remember to always be careful next time.” He pats Minjoon’s cheek adoringly before leaning in closer, whispering, “And please tell Jongin hyung that I also like him, very very much.”

Jongin wasn’t exactly looking at him at that very second; but Kyungsoo sees that blinding smile he had always fallen for.

 

It was already the third day of the hospital’s medical mission, the very last day of staying up in the mountains; and most importantly, of treating patients.

It was unfortunate for Kyungsoo since he needed to be sent back to the hospital. There was a sudden turn of events at the hospital and the director personally asked him to take care of it.

He bid his goodbyes to everyone, especially the ones he’s made friends with. And when Jongin sends him a questioning look from outside the bus, he couldn’t do anything but return with a shrug because Kyungsoo himself doesn’t have any idea.

 As soon as he reached the hospital, he puts on his white coat before heading to the director’s office. He may be tired but an emergency is an emergency.

“Ah Doctor Do,” Director Ahn claps his hand, “I’m really sorry for the sudden request, we know you’ve been really busy since this morning.”

“It’s all right, Director Ahn,” Kyungsoo says, “We couldn’t really avoid urgent emergencies.”

The old man agrees, his forehead wrinkling. “A VIP patient just came in early this morning from an unexpected heart attack, and it appears that the family has chosen you to be his attending doctor. I told them that you were out but they were quite persistent about it.”

The director passes him a thin white folder and then he flips it open, reading the contents thoroughly.

“Interesting,” Kyungsoo hums. “Their family line’s rather prominent in Seoul. I think I passed through this name on the daily papers.”

The director chuckles, “He’s in the ICU right now. You better go check up on how the patient’s doing.”

Kyungsoo nods and bows in regard before turning to the door when the director calls for him again.

“Oh and I almost forgot to ask. How was the mission?”

He bites back a smile, “It was great.”

 

“The main cause of your husband’s current condition is his coronary artery disease, which you already have been aware of. His blood cholesterol levels may also be one of the causes but we still need to run a few more tests to entirely confirm.”

The worried look on the patient’s wife was lucid. “I-Is he going to be alright?”

Kyungsoo reassures her sympathetically, “If we keep up with the medication and if he continues with his healthy routines, then he’d most likely be well soon enough. We just have to wait.”

She thanks Kyungsoo, her shoulders sagged in grief but she quickly forces a smile to conceal it before the doctor could even notice. She then excuses herself to attend to her husband before Kyungsoo leaves the room quietly.

He didn’t have anything scheduled for the day because apparently the hospital had replacements for the doctors who were attending the mission. Even so, Kyungsoo goes around the hospital wards to do his rounds.

The doctor busies himself and works on his papers the whole afternoon, constantly checking on his VIP patient for any updates on his test results. Kyungsoo once again had to explain the patient’s condition to the family members. He heard them talk about how ‘no one would be able to take care of the company and what if it closes down’ sort of things but then he hurriedly exits the room before it could get really awkward.

Kyungsoo closes the door just as Jongin comes across him, still dressed in camping wear with a large backpack hung loosely on one shoulder. And to top of the look, his hair was a mess.

An inner part of Do Kyungsoo just had the sudden longing to tidy up Jongin’s hair but his mind says otherwise for the greater good. He clenches his fist because no Kyungsoo you must not touch a single strand of hair. “You guys are back pretty early.”

Jongin takes note of how Kyungsoo was staring at him (well specifically his head but it doesn’t count) so he drags his fingers along his hair to make it look for presentable. It did feel a little dry somehow so must’ve looked like he just travelled across a stormy ocean.

“We weren’t very busy so we ended earlier than expected. The residents helped us too with uh, tidying up the place.”

“That’s great.” Kyungsoo beams and then Jongin gulps because what is this illegal thing and why is this happening right now. “So, are you working today? You know it’s not really necessary since you’re already covered for the day.”

Jongin shrugs, scratching his head. “I’ll just do my rounds and check on patients for a little while. I wouldn’t take long anyway so it’s not a problem.”

“Oh then you should be getting dressed now!” Kyungsoo laughs heartily before leading Jongin to their locker room.

Kyungsoo pulls a clean pair of shoes from the rack behind the door before sitting down on a chair to change the scruffy ones he was currently wearing. Jongin too grabs a few necessities from his locker and then he saunters to the back of the room to do God-knows-what.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo calls after he finishes. “I’m going ahead okay?”

He waits for a response until Jongin emerges from the shower area, hands still working along halfway on the buttons of his dress shirt. He grins widely and innocently like a kid who just received a cone of ice cream.

“Do you wanna shower together?”

 

Jongin could tell that it was too bold of him to say that after everything but he doesn’t regret it when Kyungsoo laughs along.

“No thank you. I already took one earlier,” Kyungsoo says with a small shake of his head before promptly adding, “And Jongin, please don’t strip in front of me.”

Jongin gives him an expressive look. “It’s not like you haven’t seen nor touched every bit of this glorious body.” He pats his abs with a smug smirk and Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, uninterested.

Jongin stood in front of him like a Calvin Klein model posing for a photoshoot with an addition of sparkles and diamonds as a background.

The younger doctor rolls his shirt into a ball before playfully tossing it in Kyungsoo’s face, making the latter sputters in disgust.

“Does my face look like a laundry basket to you?” Kyungsoo sneers in irritation as he steps in front of Jongin before shoving the shirt against his face. “Here. Munch on this you prick.”

Jongin then bursts into hysterical laughter as he tries to pull his face out of the clothing (did he really smell like sweat), with both his hands on Kyungsoo’s shoulders to back him off.

Due to adrenaline pumping through his blood, Jongin unintentionally pulls Kyungsoo rather harshly close to his chest and the latter lurches up in front of him with a huff.

The ‘I’m sorry’ crashes on his throat when Kyungsoo stares up at him with wide innocent eyes , eyelashes curling up so beautifully and his eyes flick up to sweet, red plump lips.

It’s been three years; three long painful years since their faces have gotten this close.

“I could kiss you right now.” Jongin whispers subconsciously, the familiarity and longing hanging thickly in the air surrounding them but he remains in his place and doesn’t make a move until he comprehends that Kyungsoo didn’t even step back after what he just said imprecisely.

Maybe it was just too sudden? Well of course it was Jongin how dumb of you. Too terrified to even move away?  Definitely.

Jongin didn’t draw his grip on Kyungsoo, afraid that he might make one false move and ruin everything... twice. They both stay like that, his arms on Kyungsoo’s shoulders and their chest, touching; hearts beating rapidly against each other.

Kyungsoo stands on tip toes, slowly leaning in closer and then his eyes widen in alarm and realization before he swiftly moves away from Jongin.

 

“I-I’m sorry about that.” Kyungsoo coughs in discomfiture, avoiding eye contact with Jongin who was petrified in place. He waits for a reaction but still doesn’t get one so eventually Kyungsoo excuses himself to avoid the stiffness.

“I still have matters to attend to—uh, so I’ll see you around.”

He stays there for a couple of seconds for Jongin’s approval when he finally finds an absentminded nod from the younger. “Okay.”

After the short response, Kyungsoo clears his throat before leaving the room, face flustered. He slides the door shut behind him and after making sure that no one was around the hallways, he starts hitting himself on the head with a weakly curled up fist.

Now Jongin would’ve misunderstood him as a desperate piece of trash. They were already fine as friends with everything going well and wow he just had to ruin that. What if Jongin was starting to get weirded out and what if he was now scared and disgusted with him for doing something really bold. Really Do Kyungsoo, did you just almost-kiss Jongin?

He may be overacting but all the possibilities were endless.

Kyungsoo shakes the thought off, opting to watch over his patient instead. This would probably take a few things off his mind.

 

 

Kyungsoo likes lullabies.

As a kid, his mother would sing him sweet and melodic songs that would bring him to sleep in just one blink of an eye. He remembers the time when his mother would tuck him into bed and read him bedtime stories but it didn’t really work because no matter how intently he listens, those things just doesn’t seem to make him drowsy at all. She would just laugh gently and start humming to Kyungsoo’s favourite lullabies.

But as he grew up to be a doctor, the still, beeping sounds of heart monitors in silent rooms strangely reminded him of lullabies. Well it didn’t really remind him but it started to feel like a lullaby to his ears. Judge him real hard but it really did.

It made him feel drowsy at certain times and sleeping at work may not be professional as it seems but it just couldn’t be helped.

Kyungsoo stirs awake when he senses a gentle nudge on his shoulder.

“I apologize for waking you up Dr. Do.”

As he hears the voice, he straightens his sitting position up the couch as he rapidly blinks his eyes open, the drowsiness slowly starting to fade away.

He looks up to see an intern looking down at him anxiously.

“Ah yes-- I’m sorry I dozed off.” Kyungsoo rubs his face before flashing a sheepish grin, voice a bit raspy from sleep. “I know that was irresponsible of me.”

The young intern kindly shakes his head. “Doctor Oh Sehun requested that he wanted to take over for you for the night. Since he thinks that you must be exhausted from your trip with the other doctors. He insists that you head home to rest.”

Kyungsoo fights back the yawn bubbling up his throat, mentally thanking all the good and considerate people still existing on this planet.

He says his thanks to the intern and he informs the patient’s guardians about the sudden turn of events before making his final changes and orders in the hospital.

The doctor was already on his way out of the hospital, heading towards the nearest bus station just across when his stomach distastefully growls in hunger. He still had his luggage from the trip (which was really uncomfortable for him to be carrying around) when his eyes find a nearby convenience store and his eyes flicker in delight. Well he probably won’t take long.

And this is where Dr. Do Kyungsoo ended up slurping on hot noodles under the starry sky, with an umbrella perched up in between the round table.

He constantly glances at the bus station across the road, in hope that at least one bus would stop by and that the digital street ads would stop flashing posters of the new upcoming Korean horror movies.

He doesn’t really believe on those things because of course they were fiction. Okay maybe he did, but sometimes—rarely. It was just that the directors and the makeup artists make them look so realistic and so surreal, especially when they splutter fake blood on the actors’ faces.

He visibly shivers at the thoughy when a breezy whispered ‘boo’ drifts right through his left ear. Kyungsoo almost topples over the table and his hand flies over his noddle cup, causing half of the hot liquid to splash over his shirt.

“Mother of—Kyungs—hyung! I am so sorry I didn’t mean to—“ Jongin splutters quickly as his hands hover over Kyungsoo’s shirt, hurriedly thinking of something to do about the accident without doing anything indecent that may cause more ruckus between them.

Kyungsoo haphazardly stands up from the stool, pulling his s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter