Little Star

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SIX

close your eyes and carefully listen to my story 

before my story ends, you will dream

little star

all night, i will watch over you forever

 

“Thank you for having me, sir. I am indebted to your generosity.” Taehyun bows down, voice laced straight and stern. Hands pressed by his sides, face blank from any emotion, voice soft and pleasant. Just like how Soohyuk liked him to be. He doesn’t want to mess up again, it might just be his last shot.

 

Seungyoon giggles at his side, “Did you call Mino hyung ‘sir’?”

 

Mino awkwardly rubs at the back of his neck, taken aback by the sudden formality of the hybrid. “I’m glad you’re here, Taehyun-ie. But… you don’t have to be so formal around me. Just hyung will do.” He gives Taehyun a warm smile.

 

“Or idiot, or pig, or a ert—” Seungyoon offers with a mischievous snicker. 

 

“Yah! Seungyoon!” Mino snaps at him. “You want to be punished later?” His eyes burn darkly with a hidden promise, lightly tapping on Seungyoon’s to shut him up. Seungyoon pouts, whining under his breath about ‘what got stuck in his today’ and how ‘hyung can’t take a joke’. 

 

Taehyun bites his lip, seeing such informality between the master and pet makes him feel confused. Seungyoon had always spoken about Mino in an intimate light, but witnessing it first hand makes him feel queasy. It was worlds apart from what he knew, what he was like when he had a master. A part of him feels worried for Seungyoon. The punishment Mino had brought up, did Seungyoon feel no fear? But Mino wasn’t that type of person, right? A million different questions flood his brain, he doesn’t seem to realise that the conversation had continued on without him. 

 

“Taehyun?’ Mino gently pats his shoulder with a worried look on his face. “Are you okay?”

 

“Y-Yes, don’t worry about me, sir.”

 

“Tsk.” Mino lets out in distaste. “Again with the sir. Are you sick? Are you hungry?” Mino gestures to them, leading the two hybrids into the living room. Taehyun’s jaw drops open in awe at the spaciousness and luxurious furnishing. “Should we order pizza?”

 

“Yes! Yes! Pizza! Buy the one with pepperoni, hyung, and add lots and lots of cheese! The gooey kind.” Seungyoon beams, tail wagging in excitement as he clinging onto Mino’s side.

 

“I know. Hyung will order it from your favourite place.” Mino pauses suddenly, seemingly in thought. He folds him arms across his chest, pretending to be angry at Seungyoon. “Ah, I didn’t know you were so rude Seungyoon, you didn’t even ask Taehyun what he wanted. I thought you better, didn’t I?”

 

Seungyoon’s eyes widen, ears and tail drooping in shame. “S-sorry hyung!” He turns to Taehyun and pouts in apology. “What is your favourite pizza?”

 

“Hawaiian, but I don’t mind pepperoni.” 

 

“What? Oh my god—”

 

“Hawaiian it is!” Mino takes out his phone. He presses number three on his speed dial, Seungyoon’s favourite pizza place.

 

“—you like pineapple on your pizza? Who are you? Do I know you?”

 

“Yeah, I do. Is it wrong?” Taehyun bites back, voice lacing with a cold and harsh tone.

 

“Pineapples on pizza are like tiny cubes of sin and juicy death.” Seungyoon exaggerates, shaking his head in judgement.

 

Mino ended up ordering both Hawaiian and pepperoni pizza to keep both of the hybrids happy. They end up in a weird position, Seungyoon laying on his side with his head on Taehyun’s lap and his legs resting on Mino’s. Mino turns on re-runs of Descendants of The Sun, with Seungyoon loudly admiring Song Joong Ki’s drool inducing looks. The night ends with Mino dragging Seungyoon into his room as Taehyun luges himself to the guest bedroom. 

 

 

/ / /

 

The first night in Seungyoon and Mino’s apartment has Taehyun feeling a heaviness in his chest.

 

It’s an odd feeling— as if the dust that once blurred his vision had settled down. No longer was he walking blindly in a foggy mist that blocked the world out of his sight. Now, he could see the clear admiration in Mino’s eyes as he looks at Seungyoon as if he’s the most precious thing in the world. He could see the gentle kisses they exchange before Mino leaves for work. Taehyun could laze around in the living room without any care or fear.

 

It’s almost picture perfect. 

 

The way that Seungyoon’s bed hair adorably sticks out in several different directions, wearing nothing but his boxes and an old worn out sweater that hangs off his shoulder and barely covers his thighs. It shows off too much soft tantalising skin for Taehyun to handle at 7:30AM in the morning. His eyes trail from the sharp collarbones and pale skin as he takes a sip of black coffee. His eyes briefly glance over a red and blue spot forming on the side of Seungyoon’s neck, but he dismisses it quickly. The coffee too thick and bitter that it makes his face scrunch up. He takes another large mouthful, letting it burn down his throat and feel the warm liquid going down to his stomach.

 

Mino’s in a rush after he slept through five alarms, chugging down rice and soup. Seungyoon had to jump on Mino’s bed and threaten him with ice cold water to get him out of bed. Taehyun wouldn’t be surprised if this was a normal occurrence in their household. He stares at Mino amusedly as he tries to cool down the steaming hot rice in his mouth by opening his mouth, disgustingly showing its contents. Mino’s eyes widen when he glances at his wristwatch. He quickly stands up, wordlessly grabbing Taehyun’s mug of coffee and taking a large gulp of the bitter black liquid. Taehyun doesn’t protest. He was too busy wondering what a mixture of black coffee, kimchi stew and steamed rice tasted like. 

 

Taehyun tries not to crack a smile when Seungyoon scowls at Mino. “Don’t do that, it’s disgusting.” The hybrid hisses out. “You’re going to be late, hyung!”

 

“I’m going, I’m going! Stop nagging in my ear.” Mino whines, adjusting his tie, staring at the mirror perched on the wall of their dining room. Taehyun vaguely remembers that Seungyoon had said that they had to set it up there after Mino’s inevitable late mornings. “Oh yeah, I almost forgot! See you guys later for dinner, yeah? I made reservations at this nice place.”

 

His hair is dark and shaved at the sides, gelled up and tousled effortlessly despite the chaotic morning. Sun-kissed skin still managed to glow at the early hour. Taehyun admires his side-profile; a strong jawline, straight nose completed with sharp yet soft looking lips. The strength of his neck showed in the twining cords of muscle that shaped his entire body; strong arms, bold thighs and calves, a firm chest hidden beneath the white dress shirt. He trails is eyes down to his hands which were probably rough from work, fingers fiddling with the knot of his midnight blue tie. 

 

Mino catches his gaze in the mirror, eyes filling with cockiness when he realises that Taehyun was blatantly checking him out. He winks, lips curved up to a playful smirk. Taehyun’s cheeks heat up in embarrassment and he quickly stares at the half eaten bowl of rice. “Get ready by 6, okay? I’ll pick you both up.” He gently ruffles the two hybrid’s hair before reaching for his briefcase on the table. 

 

He tries to make a beeline straight for the door when he gets blocked by a pouting Seungyoon. “You didn’t kiss me goodbye yet.” 

 

Mino sighs, crafting a quick response in his head. He knows how Seungyoon is like in the morning. 

 

“Look, Yoon-ah, I’m a rush right now, I’ll give you plenty of kisses when I get bac—mfph!” His words interrupted as Seungyoon grabs Mino by the tie, pulling him down for a deep kiss.  Taehyun finds himself staring at their intertwined lips. He catches Mino biting gently at Seungyoon’s lips teasingly before he pulls away.

 

“That wasn’t so hard, wasn’t it? See you later, hyung.”

 

Mino laughs, shaking his head at the hybrid’s antics. “Always needs to go your way, hm?” He gently pats Seungyoon’s . He glances over at Taehyun, staring straight into his eyes. “Do you want a kiss too, Taehyun?” 

 

Taehyun pauses. 

 

It was the second time that Mino had caught him staring, eyes sparkling with mischief but no spite or edge, it was all tease but it still makes Taehyun feel like a reindeer caught in headlights. He doesn’t want Mino to feel like he has to give him kisses and hugs too just because he feels pity for Taehyun. He doesn’t want to be selfish. He was already invading their space. 

 

“No. See you later, sir—Mino hyung.” He stands up, and heads to the kitchen without another word. 

 

 

/ / /

 

 

The tension between them is even more obvious when Seungyoon’s not there to fill out the empty silences. When Seungyoon leaves for the men’s room during dinner, it does nothing but make it worse.

 

A heavy silence settles over the two of them, thicker than the uneasy tension floating in the atmosphere. Unsettled eyes glance around as they try to avoid catching each other’s glance. Taehyun nervously adjusts the collar of his, or rather, one of Mino’s old white dress shirts that Seungyoon made him wear. Despite this, he still feels severely underdressed in the five star hotel restaurant in the heart of Gangnam. 

 

Mino clears his throat, “So, Taehyun. How has it been so far? Do you like it here?”

 

Taehyun wants to nod in glee, give him a genuine smile to ease the uneasiness Mino probably felt because of the tension in-between them. He wants to pretend like everything is perfect as it should be. He got taken in by a big-hearted millionaire and his equally big-hearted hybrid, who had literally pulled him out of the trash-filled alleyway. He should feel happy, beyond relieved and comfortable. But he doesn’t. And he doesn’t know why. 

 

“I’m really grateful you took me in, sir—“

 

“I told you before, just Mino hyung is alright.”

 

“—Mino hyung. Your house is really nice, and both of you are really kind.”

 

Mino hums and smiles slightly at Taehyun’s comment. He chews the steak slowly, as if he’s waiting for Taehyun to continue. “But…?” He prompts.

 

“T-There is no ‘but’, sir!” Taehyun stammers out, suddenly nervous. His ears are standing up with his tail wrapping instinctively around the side of the chair, obviously flustered and defensive. 

 

The older man laughs loudly, mouth still full with steak. “You don’t have to be so nervous around me, Taehyun-ah.” 

 

The odd feeling, the heaviness in his chest, it feels as if Taehyun wants something. He feels it itching under his skin, the need clawing at his senses. He doesn’t know what it might be; hands holding his, a home to live in, someone that will love him? He doesn’t know what he wants, but he’s been out on the streets finding it for the past few years. Perhaps he had taken whatever last rotting chance he had left to find whatever it is he wanted in the home of the two. But it feels like he’s intruding into an already perfectly painted picture, a dirty smudge running across a timeless masterpiece that he would never be part of. Like a blackhole, isolated and out of place in the galaxy, selfishly taking in everything that he never owned in the first place.

 

“I’m not though…” Taehyun shifts uncomfortably in his seat and fiddles with his sweaty hands under the dining table as silence envelops the two of them yet again. Why is Seungyoon taking so long in the toilet, goddamnit?

 

“Can I ask you something,” Mino throws out suddenly. Not really a question, but rather a statement. Taehyun knows better than to reply. 

 

“Why do you call me sir? Why do you act so differently around me compared to Seungyoon? Are you not comfortable around me? What am I doing wrong?”

 

Dumbfounded, Taehyun doesn’t know what to say. Taehyun feels his heart stinging when Mino smiles at him sadly, reducing him into an incapacitated speechlessness. “I don’t know.” He replies regretfully. He truly doesn’t know the answer.

 

“It’s okay, Taehyun-ah. I’m sorry for asking.” Mino’s eyes focus behind Taehyun at the dog hybrid, who was now heading towards their table with a bottle of red wine in hand. “It’ll happen naturally, right? We just need time.”

 

“I’m not worth your time.” Taehyun yearns to say, but bites it back in.

 

/ / /

 

Darkness has always been a fascination to Taehyun.

 

Maybe because ever since he was alive, he was ed into the world of blaring lights and glamour. The buzz of socialising with the rich and elite was the norm for him. The darkness— however corrupt, cruel and twisted the world might be, were kept beneath the shadows and between hushed exchanges. 

 

The darkness of the world had always been an enigma to him. A mind so naive and curious about the world, wanting to have a taste of the dark side of reality. The taste too enticing, he wanted more and more, until it eventually consumed his whole being. Once a mystery, it was now his reality.

 

 

/ / /

 

Taehyun is rudely awoken the next day by an excited Seungyoon who still has his toothbrush in his mouth. He had purposely slept in, claiming he had a bad headache to skip the awkward morning breakfast with Mino. Taehyun glances at the digital clock on his beside. The digits “8:49AM” glare back at him as Seungyoon drags him by the hand and manhandled him onto the sofa. Taehyun whines and shoves the invading hands away from his wrists. “What the hell, Seungyoon?”

 

“Mino hyung is gonna be on TV! We can’t miss it, I promised him we wouldn’t.” Seungyoon emphasised on the ‘we’. 

 

Taehyun rolls his eyes, but stays on the sofa and focuses his attention on the screen anyway. The morning news was playing, the newscaster’s lipstick was perfect, pearly whites peeking through and hair shiny and sleek. “Next Innovation has gone to greater heights and securing a promising future for strengthening their position in the industry. The founder, Song Mino-sshi has announced in a product launch yesterday that Next Innovation will be partnering with Apple Inc. for their western expansion.”

 

Suddenly, Mino appears on screen. 

 

Dressed in his usual tailor made suit that he fills up perfectly, hair pulled back to show his sharp angled features. He stands tall, shoulders strong, chest out slightly. He was oozing confidence from head to toe, demanding the attention from every pair of eyes glancing his way. He stands proudly on stage, voice deep and assuring. “Next Innovation has grown from just two guys in their college dorm room to the billion dollar company that we are now. But we have not forgotten who we are, what we aim to do, what the people want us to do. Technology has become a critical industry--”

 

Taehyun was star struck, admiring the man behind the screen. He was proud to say that he had such a successful master that took him in. 

 

Seungyoon snaps a few pictures of the screen, purposely capturing Mino halfway through his speech in awkward moments. He send the ugly ones to Mino via KakaoTalk. “Hyung always appears on TV though, he never asked me to look out for him before.”

 

“It’s a pretty big deal to be partnering with the Apple.” 

 

“Ah… Right…” Seungyoon softly replies. “Must be a big deal for hyung. He just wanted to show off, hm?”

 

Taehyun was about to yell in disbelief, but one glance at the pure admiration in Seungyoon eyes and the small soft loving smile playing on his pink pouty lips and Taehyun shuts up. 

 

 

/ / /

 

Suddenly being forced to swim once more in the tide waters of the past, Taehyun walked down the corridor with attitude of a soldier returning to the battlefield.

 

“Did you have any dreams?” Seungyoon randomly asks in the middle of their drama marathon. Mino was at work, and the apartment seemed to be too big for the two hybrids. 

 

Once upon a time, Taehyun had dreamt of being a singer. 

 

Once, his adoption centre was visited by an idol group. Taehyun realises a few years later it was probably only for publicity. But back then, seeing the young pretty boys playing with the hybrids with a loving gaze filled his heart with sickeningly sweet hope. They had sat around in circle at the lounge, four cameras filming their every move. The idols held the hybrids in a loving embrace, patting their heads and their ears as they sang a lovely ballad.

 

“Hyung! Seokjin hyung! You sing so well!” Taehyun bounces up and down on the balls of his feet in admiration. “I wanna be a singer too when I grow up!”

 

The idol face flashed with a look of fear, followed by a look of melancholy. “Ah… Taehyunie…” Seokjin bites his lip, stunned by the young hybrid’s eyes sparkling with hopes and dreams that were way out of his reach. “That’s lovely, Taehyunie. I’ll be your first fan when you become one!” 

 

Hope that took the form of sparkling eyes, charming smile and perfect features covered in layers of BB Cream. That hope manifested in himself for years to come, before it breaks down into a million shattering pieces. He realizes that he wasn’t born into this world to live for himself. He exists to please. He exists for the benefit of others. The dreams of the future he yearned for are now a distant fantasy, much like the stars glinting in the velvet blue sky. Pretty to look at, but impossible to reach from where he was. 

 

It was the reason why Taehyun hated collars. 

 

They reminded him of the bitter aftertaste of reality and the ugly truth behind his existence. Hopes and dreams cruelly ripped away from h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter