Chapter 5

My Overprotective Gege!

The senior prom was in full swing and there was a whole host of dresses, suits, laughter and joy going around everyone who was gathered in the large hall. Yikari smiled brightly to herself because even though she was stuck on cleaning duty, tonight couldn’t have gone any better in her opinion. Yifan had kept his promise and gone dress shopping with her and she had behaved herself in getting something that was formal but without being overly extravagant and was easy to move around in for cleaning work. It was a light turquoise green dress with little frills on the end and a matching long sleeved cardigan in satin. Her hair had been put up nicely and her mother had lent her a couple of bright sparkling hair pins that kept the high rise bun in place.

 

Yifan had smiled when he saw his sister in the dress and in his heart he knew that it wouldn’t be long until she was snatched up by someone but as long as they looked after her right he really couldn’t say much more. Yes he still wanted to be protective of her and keep her away from anything that could potentially hurt her but he was beginning to realise that just maybe he was being a bit too much on the protective side and it would be better for her to start making her own mistakes. Not that it was an easy admission of course and it was a hard habit to break but he had to face facts.

 

He was going to college soon and he’d probably want to move out to his own place with Zitao and there was no way that he could bring his little sister along with him. At least not if he wanted the type of relationship that he fully wanted with Zitao, though granted they were already getting fully involved with that aspect of their relationship and no Yikari did not know about it. Or if she did then she was keeping it to herself which proved that she was at least trustworthy.

 

Casting his eyes into the corner where he knew the girl to be hiding like a little wallflower, Yifan smiled to himself and turned his head back to Zitao who was carefully brushing the inside of his thigh, “Would it be strange if I were to ask my little sister to dance?”

 

“Yes,” Zitao stated bluntly towards his boyfriend, intertwining their fingers together as he leaned close to place a kiss on his cheek, “Though it wouldn’t be strange for me to ask her to dance.”

 

Yifan smiled towards Zitao, “You’re a treasure, you know that?”

 

“I’m your treasure only,” Zitao said softly, stealing another quick little kiss, “Don’t go running off with any certain large trolls who are drooling all over you.”

 

“Tao!” Yifan snapped playfully, watching as his boyfriend moved through the packed room to approach Yikari before smirking as he literally felt Chanyeol breathing down his neck, “You know he’s just kidding right?”

 

Chanyeol scowled for about three seconds before letting out a smile that literally split his face in half, “Oh boy do I know it, though tell him that this troll is already accounted for happily and that he has no intentions on stealing his best friend for anything other than reminding him that he’s the Captain of the Basketball Team once in a while.”

 

Yifan chuckled and hugged Chanyeol, “Don’t worry, I won’t forget that in the slightest.”

 

“You better not,” Chanyeol said, ruffling Yifan’s hair just to mess it up, “Though I’ll say one thing, he’s definitely styled you up. I think everyone here is convinced that you’re some posh student that no one knows.”

 

Blushing, Yifan turned to watch Zitao attempting to teach Yikari to dance which looked just as about hilarious as it sounded on the tip of his tongue. He smiled, noting that there were as many interested looks coming her way as there had been for him and he sighed, “I guess I can’t keep her safe anymore right?”

“Nope,” Chanyeol agreed, “You just have to be there to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.”

 

Yifan sighed, “I hope that I don’t have to do that too often.”

 

“Teenagers are complicated and there’s many heartbreaks to deal with,” Chanyeol smirked, “Welcome to the next phase of being a big brother.”

 

Yifan turned, a fond sigh escaping his lips, “Oh don’t tell me...”

 

“Yup Sehuna and Luhan are off again,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes, “If your Yikari gets a guy make sure to drill it into him that he’s to keep her or leave her nicely if things aren’t working out. I’m seriously banging my head against a wall here with those two.”

 

Chuckling, Yifan had to push aside the thought that he didn’t want Yikari to date ever but really there was nothing that he could do in regards to that fact. Plus seeing her smile brightly whilst she danced with his boyfriend made him realise that it was time to start facing the music of that part of being a responsible big brother.

 

~*~

 

Several Years Later

 

~*~

 

“No junk food and no staying out past ten o’clock mind,” Yikari called from the top of the stairs as she leaned over the banister at the top.

 

Yifan sighed and rolled his eyes, glaring up at his little sister, “Yah, that’s my line.”

 

“Oh no it’s not, since you’re going to be a family man soon,” Yikari called as the tall girl quickly tapped down the stairs to wrap her arms around his neck, “That means that you can’t be out all night, getting into all sorts of trouble and...”

 

Flicking her forehead with his fingers, Yifan sighed, “Oh stop it. You do not get to ever get me back for the times that I was overprotective of you.”

 

“Yah, I so do!” the young woman smirked to him, “I will never ever let you forget how much you protected me back when we were younger.”

 

Tao chuckled, “Oh don’t worry, he’ll probably do the same with our kids. Now come on, let your Gege go, we’ve got a long drive ahead of us and the sooner we start making tracks the better.”

 

Yikari pouted, “Aww, I was wanting to torment Yifan some more.”

 

“You bug me anyway,” Yifan said affectionately giving the girl a hug, “Just you make sure that you study hard okay? And no dating.”

 

“What? Yifan, I’m twenty one, I’m perfectly allowed to date,” Yikari said with a huff.

 

“No you’re not cause boys only lead to one thing and that’s trouble,” Yifan shot back, grinning broadly as he felt Tao glaring daggers at him from behind, “No matter what type of boy they are, they’re trouble.”

 

“I’ll remember that,” Tao said, smacking Yifan lightly on the back of the head as he moved in to get his own hug off his sister-in-law, “ignore the whiney sod, Yikari, just have some fun but be safe.”

 

“Always am,” Yikari grinned before smartly moving out of grab range of Yifan with a laugh as the words sunk into the elders head.

 

Letting out a sigh, Yifan easily caught his sister and gave her a good old fashioned nuggy before giving her one final hug and a kiss goodbye. He still desperately wanted to protect her, keep her safe from all of the evil of the world but he knew that couldn’t do that anymore. She was a grown woman and they had their own lives to live.

 

Still never stopped him from worrying of course, he’d always be Yikari’s Over Protective Gege, no matter what happened in their respective lives.

 

~Fin~

 

Authors babling:

There you go folks all done and dusted. Hope you enjoyed it