Chapter 1

My Overprotective Gege!

Wu Yikari pouted just a little as she sat waiting to be picked up from the school gates for the millionth day in a row whilst she watched a group of giggling seniors head off to the main shopping district after school with an reasonable time to return home by and no limitations on what they spent their allowance on or who they met up in the slightest. She wasn’t really friends with them so it didn’t matter overly much in the grand scheme of life, but it still didn’t stop her being jealous. In fact it only added to her jealousy, especially when she spotted her two friends Jisue and Maigen also heading off in the direction of the shopping district, babbling on about some new groups CD which was being released and how they hoped there were still copies left if all of the college girls had not snuck out of classes to grab every last copy available. They hadn’t even asked her if she wanted to go, not because they were being rude but simply because they already knew the exact response they would get.

 

“Yifan’s picking me up today, so I can’t I’m afraid, I’m sorry. Maybe next time?” Though of course, there was never a next time.

 

Yikari sighed, shaking her head. Virtually everything in her life revolved around her big brother and his tendency to be highly protective of her and it was well past the point of being annoying. Not that Yikari did understand of course, she wasn’t going to just brush aside Yifan’s attempts to keep her safe and well looked after with some flippant remark that would hurt his feelings but sometimes it would be nice to just spread her wings a little and fly.

 

But Yifan would not allow that because it was his duty to protect her, make sure that she was happy and well cared for. Ever since the day that their father had walked out on them, announcing the fact that he was disowning them both very loudly and plainly in front of their mother who had been the one to instigate the divorce in the first place and basically saying a bunch of things about them never inheriting anything or something along those lines. Yikari had been way too young to understand just what he was going on about at the time and had burst into tears, asking Baba to come back.

 

He never did and therefore Yifan had to step up to be the man of the house when he was only seven and a half years old.

 

It had not been easy, not in the slightest and with the move to a foreign country for a better chance at a job things had been made all the more harder. They had to leave behind virtually everything that they knew, their friends were supportive whilst their family refused to talk to them and when they got to this strange and new land they were picked on for not being able to speak English though they worked hard to learn and there were all sorts of vicious rumours about their mother too, all of which was unfounded but it was still not pleasant to hear.

 

However Yifan had someone managed to get through it all, he had learnt the language and stood up to the bullies, pushing them away from his sister and mother even when they were far taller than himself. He stood tall and proud, growing virtually every single day until by the end of middle school he was taller than every single boy in his class. He didn’t have many friends but that was fine, he would play with his little sister every day to make sure that she smiled brightly and had a good meal for tea, kept the house tidy and even looked after the pet cat until it turned crazy one day and went running off.

 

High school changed Yifan in a number of good ways. He made friends for the first time, found others like himself who had transferred from different countries and started to take part in sports. He failed miserably at football but with his height he was ideal for basketball and it wasn’t long before he was known as Daizhyung. Yikari had been proud as punch of her big brother and had always showered him with praise for doing so well.

 

And then high school had hit and things took a turn that neither of them had expected.

Namely boys…and hormones….and longing stares…and private fantasies written in diary’s which should never be left out unlocked in a public place where anyone could find them.

 

Especially not already overprotective gege’s who wanted nothing but the best for their little sister and certainly never wanted to see them getting hurt by another man ever again.

 

Yikari understood why Yifan didn’t want that to happen but god it was irritating….especially when she knew for a fact that he had gone out on at least one date. Not that it had ended well in the slightest of course but it was still one up on her.

 

And plus it was becoming a pain to hide all of the confession letters that she kept on receiving and lord forbid the school ever actually allow a White Day to occur. Last year at middle school her locker had actually broken with the number of times that it had been opened so that the boys could leave her presents and more confession notes.

 

Yifan had not been happy in the slightest.

 

Yikari had just blamed their mother for giving them both such stunning good looks because he had two bags full of chocolates, gifts and notes from Valentine’s Day so therefore had no right to complain.

 

Which also lead to another point in the ‘don’t tell Gege’ file.

 

A car pulled up to where she was sitting and Yikari sighed before gathering her things together and clambering in without a word. She really didn’t want to fight with Yifan today but it was annoying that he was here yet again to pick her up.

 

They drove in silence for a few minutes, “So how did your day go?” Yifan asked.

 

“The same as yesterday and the day before that,” Yikari replied, looking out of the window before feeling a little bit of rebellion build up in her heart, “Hey Gege, can I go out with my friend’s tomorrow night?”

 

“To do what?” Yifan asked, keeping his eyes on the road

 

“Oh I don’t know, just hang out?” Yikari said with an idle shrug of her shoulders, “Go around some of the shops or maybe to the library to study, grab a coffee and have a giggle over really stupid girly things that you don’t like to talk to me about.”

 

Yifan blinked and sighed, “Yikari…”

 

“Or who knows, maybe I’ll join one of the girl’s sport teams or a couple of the clubs and then I’ll have to stay behind after school,” Yikari cut in, knowing that she was being a brat but really there was nothing else on her mind right now, “then at least I could pretend to be a normal teenager once in a while.”

 

“Yikari,” Yifan started again, his tone suggesting that he was starting to get irked at this conversation.

 

The girl pouted at him, “I mean it’s not like I’m in high school where I have friends or anything.”

 

“Meimei,” Yifan cut into the rant that was coming with a long sigh, “Look I know that you don’t like this but…”

 

“I just want to be normal, Gege, is that so hard to ask?” Yikari asked quietly, knowing it was going to hit a nerve with the elder but she had to do something or else face a life of being trapped all of the time.

 

“I don’t want you to be hurt meimei,” Yifan said, shaking his head, “I don’t want some guy to come along and break your heart.”

 

Yikari rolled her eyes, “Whatever gives you the impression that I even have any intentions with boys? I just want to go out and be with my friends for a few hours after school.”

 

“But you’ll end up getting attention that way,” Yifan replied back.

 

“And? I bet that you still get attention when you go out with your teammates,” hell everyone in the school knew that they basketball team were the best hotties on the entire campus with the only notable exception to the rule being the Wushu club, “It’s not like I’m just going to throw myself at anyone who comes within three feet of me or anything.”

 

Yifan shook his head, “Just…talk to Mama about it when we get home,” that was Yifan’s usual way of getting out of something that he didn’t like to talk about because Yikari knew that their Mama would more than likely agree with him on the matter of looking after the girl. But maybe she could convince her to get Yifan to let up a little on some of this crazy stuff.

 

Still Yikari pouted for affect, “Oh you’re hopeless Gege.”

 

“I’m not, I’m realistic and trust me, most boys are trouble,” Yifan said, turning his head to check the road he was about to turn onto.

 

“Says the boy who goes a bright red hickie on his neck,” Yikari grinned, suddenly realising that she now had major leverage, “Who’s the lucky girl? Who’s got to mark my Gege because you know fine well that Mama will be all over that mark and then someone is going to get into trouble.”

 

Yifan rolled his eyes, “I got hit during practice, and it’s not a hickie.”

 

“Yes it is!” Yikari giggled, “Cause you’re blushing.”

 

“Oh shut up,” Yifan said with a long sigh, “it’s not a hickie.”

 

“Then it’s a love bite?”

 

“Meimei…”

 

“Oh wait, you’re gay right? Oh come on, tell me who…”

 

“Yikari….”

 

“I promise not to tell anyone.”

 

“Will you just…?”

 

“Come on, please? I want to know who…Gah hey!” a hand was shoved into her face to push her back so that Yifan could silence his whiny little sister and also look down the opposite road.

 

Yikari giggled as they moved off and then was struck by a thought, “Hey Yifan, are you dating anyone at the moment.”

 

“No,” Yifan stated outright, “And before you start this is not a hickie.”

 

“Wasn’t going to,” Yikari said innocently, “but if there was anyone you could date…”

 

“Don’t be stupid, meimei,” Yifan said with a shake of his head, “Do you really think that I would be so against you potentially dating anyone if I was in a relationship myself? That would be stupid.”

 

Yikari blinked, “So wait…if you were going out with someone you’d let me go out a bit more?”

 

“Well…maybe…but you would still have curfew and boys would be a total no go area,” Yifan smirked, “However there is not a chance that I will be starting to date anytime in the near future so get that thought out of your head right now.”

 

Pouting Yikari settled back into her seat and made it appear that she was just in another huff. But in her mind she was already trying to think of potential people whom she could attempt to get Yifan to date just the tricky thing would be making it appear that she wasn’t the one to instigate everything. Oh this was certainly going to be fun in so many ways. 

 

authors babbling:

heh not very funny this chapter but it's an introduction so the mayhem should start next one. Hope you enjoyed and sorry about the wait, life got pretty bloody hectic lol