Fallen

Fallen

© 

***

 

Sehun had found him in an unlikely place. He had asked Luhan what a light being such as him was doing in such a place.

Luhan hadn’t replied. Seemingly oblivious to all that surrounds him, contemplating his very existence. Sehun thinks it’s blasphemy, for him to question gods design.

If Sehun really looked at him, carefully studied Luhan in his entirety, he’d see something amiss about him. His aura it seems. It was as if it were dimming. Like a fluorescent light flickering between staying bright or shutting off. Fighting to stay alight. That was when Sehun had noticed it. The tell-tale blemish of black on white feathers.

He’s not sure what to think of it at first. He’d never seen it happen to anybody. Well at least not the transformation--could he even call it that?--from light to the darkness. He’d never seen an angel falling.

 

“What does it look like?” Luhan asks. His question breaking Sehun out of his reverie.

Sehun doesn’t quite understand the question.

“The world underneath.” Luhan continues, voice soft and quiet.

A heartbeat passes before Sehun replies, “You mean hell?”

Luhan remains quite at that. Sehun wonders if he’s offended the light being. Saying a cursed word in front of their likes was never appreciated.

A ringing silence engulfs them then. Sehun isn’t sure if he should say something to redress what he said before. But he’s never been one for comforting others. His damnable lineage causes him to act otherwise.

“You’ll know for yourself soon enough. Wont you angel?”

It should’ve sounded like an insult to Luhan. A damned being like Sehun calling him angel when he so clearly knew of the fate awaiting him--his destiny soon to come. But if it does offend him, Sehun would not have known either way. Luhan’s expression stays unfazed and stoic.

It was a long while before he heard the angel's reply.

“It seems I will,” uttered so quietly, Sehun could’ve easily missed it.

Sehun thinks that the little bits of black speckled on Luhan’s wings is nothing compared to the invisible dark clouds hanging over his head. Extremely unfitting for a light being. What it must feel to know you’re falling and unable to do anything to change your inevitable fate. This must be what those humans feel when they know they’re about to die. Inescapable. Powerless. Where was god’s mercy then? He thought bitterly.

 

 

He didn’t think he’d meet the falling angel again. Not so soon at least.

It was ironic, to be a demon faced with a falling yet feeling sympathy for its kind. There was nothing new here. Many have fallen before. Just never one right before your own eyes, Sehun thinks.

And it’s intriguing to say the least. Sehun wants to know, to understand, how it works or how it happens at the least. Is it painful? Are the angels reincarnated when they turn? How long would the process take?

“Seems you’ve found me again demon.”

“I wasn’t even searching.”

And it’s true, he wasn’t. But he wonders if he’ll be able to stop himself from seeking him out from that moment onwards.

 

 

Luhan had learned a lot from the demon. Throughout his falling, Sehun had been present almost the entirety of it. A constant shadow lingering in the recesses of his mind.

There were times Luhan wondered if Sehun was a conjuration of his imagination. His own internal mechanism for coping with his falling.

But the companionship they fostered over the period of time was unmistakable for something of an illusion. Sehun was real.

Though not much, it still provided him the comfort and reassurance he needed to face the transformation. He was not alone. And that gave him enough strength to see things through.

 

 

His wings were almost fully black now. Just a tiny spot of white remaining at the tips of his feathered appendage.

He was afraid of what was to come. At the final tipping point before fully falling. He wasn’t sure what to expect once it’s done. But the long moments of wondering would finally come to an end soon. And that brought more relief than any dread he’d ever felt since the start of his predicament.

“It’ll be over soon,” Sehun says.

Luhan remains quite. A small nod is the only form of acknowledgement he gets. Not that odd considering that even though he has opened up to Sehun following the time they’ve spent in each other’s presence, Sehun could never really get Luhan to leave that protective shell of his. The one that makes him quiet. One which he thinks will shelter him from the harsh reality.

It was a while before either of them spoke again. But even as the silence stretched on, time kept moving forward, taking with it the last shred of purity from Luhan’s fragile being. The light slowly succumbing to the dark.

“Will you be here? When I fall.”

Sehun looks at him just as Luhan turns to face Sehun too. Gaze firm yet afraid locked with Sehun.

Sehun nods. Not trusting his voice to remain unshaken.

“Will you still be there… even after?” …after I’ve fallen. He doesn’t voice the last part of the sentence but Sehun understood what he meant anyway.

Luhan looks small like this. Curled into himself. Insecure and shaken.

Sehun steps towards him. He wants badly to wrap his arms around the frail other but suppresses the urge. Instead he grants Luhan what he needs most at the moment-- reassurance.

“Even when darkness shall be your only companion. I’ll be the shadow that walks by your side.”

You’ll never be alone again.

White eventually fades to black. And with it, it took away the light.

 

***

a/n

- In case it isn’t already obvious, I have no idea what I’m doing.

- I haven't written anything in a long time so, sorry if this wasn't up to standard

- Word vomit! Word vomit everywhere!

- I just really needed an outlet for my hunhan feels.

- Who's with me? :)