Teddy Bear

Sooyoung-het Oneshots Collection (:

Sooyoung woke up to the brilliant rays of sunlight shining through her window. Her nightgown fell loosely over her shoulders; and she was lying on her bed half-. She turned over; he was not there anymore; in his place lay a teddy bear.

It was the twenty-fourth one now. Similar to all the previous ones, it was cute and furry, with great black orbs as eyes. They all sat neatly on a shelf she had specially allocated, right next to her desk. She got up slowly; placing the latest one on that shelf, next to the rest.

Twenty-four. 2 years. Already. Memories came flowing back to her all at once.

**********************************************************************************

They were in a park. Sitting at a bench right next to the tree they had always met at after school last time.

“I…I’m sorry, Soo, I have to do it. For my family,” Changmin said, staring straight ahead. He could not bear to look at her eyes, tinged with sadness.

Silence. She wished that it was all a dream, that any time now, she would wake up and everything would be different.

He pulled her to face him, looking at her straight in the eyes. “You’ll always be the only one I love, Soo,” he said, breaking the silence. “Remember that.”

Her tears continued flowing, even more. They embraced for a long time, one last time, both unwilling to let go.

**********************************************************************************

She was invited to their marriage. The unity of Shim Changmin and Im Yoona. She did everything she had to do. Buy them wedding gifts. Congratulate them. Wish them happiness forever. She did it all; all while she hurt silently inside.

Their marriage served its purpose. Changmin’s family business grew even more; all due to financial support from the rich and prestigious Im family. But Changmin himself was not happy. He missed her dearly. The memory of her tear-filled face that day in the park remained firmly etched in his mind.

**********************************************************************************

She was at the supermarket, buying groceries. It had been painful, but she had gotten used to it; life without him. But he was still fresh in her mind, as if he was an outline by a permanent marker.

He saw her first. Her tall, slender figure. He could recognize her anywhere, even in his dreams. He walked up to her.

Just one word. “Soo.”

She spun around; their eyes locked with each other. They stood like that for a long time, many unspoken feelings passing through their eyes.

They went back to the park. Sat at the same bench together. A hug first; then awkward silence. But they soon began a conversation, pouring out their bottled-up feelings over the past few months/years one by one.

It was Changmin who had suggested it. That they could meet once a month. Secretly, without Yoona’s knowledge. He would put aside one day, just for her, every month. They could do anything they wanted, together, for that precious twenty-four hours every month.

She liked the idea, no, she loved it. Yes, she knew that it would be hurting Yoona, her best friend, but…but it was just one day. In a year, it was only 12 days. She could not resist.

And so they did it. Met up once a month. The first time was on her 24thbirthday. February the 10th, 2014. They celebrated her birthday at her house, snuggled together on the couch, stuffing food into each other’s mouths while watching a horror movie. It was simple; but as long as she was with him, it was more than enough. She felt like she was in heaven. He felt the same, too.

They slept together; on her queen-sized bed in her room. She missed the contours of his well-built body, his wide, expansive muscles; he missed her smooth, soft cotton-like skin and long velvety legs. They slept through the night; comfortably in each other’s embrace.

Next morning, he woke up first. He had to leave, before his family found it suspicious.

She woke up later, and found him missing. In his place lay a brown, furry teddy bear adorned with a blue ribbon, with a note attached:

Happy Birthday again, Soo! May you stay youthful and pretty always!

Love, Minnie

P.S. I’m sorry; I have to leave first for work.

She smiled, hugging the teddy bear.

She was in the bathroom now, brushing her teeth. Recalling the past 24 days, she remembered every single detail of each of the days perfectly. Changmin had dubbed those days ‘One Day in Heaven’. She had scoffed at it, but deep down she really loved it too. Because it was perfectly true, for her.

She went to work. Proceeded as usual, except that she was happy, satisfied. Her mood had subconsciously become adjusted to their secret rendezvous. It peaked the day right after their rendezvous; she was happiest on that day, and it went downhill from there. The day right before their rendezvous, she would be so overcome with longing that it made her distracted; distracted from everything she was doing. It was now a cycle she had become accustomed to, she could not imagine not seeing him for more than a month.

It was lunch break. She went to the bistro just opposite from her office. It wasn’t premeditated, but her office building was directly adjacent to Changmin’s company/corporation building. Sometimes, if fate permitted, they would meet; and have a chat together. She had hoped that everyday would be like that. She wondered if he had thought the same too.

“So, how was your day today, honey?” Yoona’s singsong voice travelled to Sooyoung’s ears. She looked up; Yoona was walking together with Changmin, their hands locked together.

Changmin met her eyes; a feeling of awkwardness passed between them.

“Oh, hi, Soo! Long time no see!” Yoona chirped upon seeing Sooyoung. “H…Hi, Yoona!” Sooyoung replied. “Hi, Changmin-ssi,” she added, trying to sound as normal as possible.

“Well, we’ll see you around, Soo! We’re going to have lunch together,” Yoona said happily.

“Okay, see you!” Sooyoung tried her best to sound happy too.

They walked away; Changmin turned around slightly and mouthed, “I love you.

There were only two words in her mind.

Next month.

A/N: Ah once again, abrupt ending yikes >.< Comments are greatly appreciared though! :D