Happy Beginning

High Society

“But your stained clothes are still with the dry cleaners.”

“My secretary arranged for them to be sent back to Seoul after they’re cleaned up."

“You sure you don’t want me to drive you to the airport?”

“It’s alright. My secretary already took care of transportation. You have a meeting soon, right? Don’t mess up your schedule because of me.”

“But, hyung - “

Jinwoo holds the other’s hands tightly to cut him off. “Please don’t make me feel more indebted than I already am.”

Mino exhales exasperatedly. After Jinwoo successfully kicked Jiyong out, they were spending their day together peacefully, relaxing and chatting about everything under the sun, but this morning he seems to transform back into his default ice prince mode. “Why do you have to go back now? I thought we promised to fly back together tonight after dinner - “

“There are too many things in my mind and I have to sort them out.”

“Is it about Kwon Jiyong again?”

No, it is about you. The words are already at the edge of Jinwoo’s tongue, but they will just sound like a lame excuse at this moment.  He only shakes his head softly and gives Mino a short hug. “Thank you so much, Mino-yah. Take care and text me when you’re back.” Jinwoo turns around and leaves the resort before Mino can decipher his emotional turmoil. The hotel heir cannot will himself to move away until the other man disappears from his sight in a black limousine. 

 

***

 

The first thing Jinwoo does after he arrives home is to crash into Taehyun's bedroom and knock his aquarium glass wall loudly. His cousin jumps up from his bed, his hair is a total mess, and starts shouting at Jinwoo to stop disturbing his pets.

"Tae, it's already past 11AM. I'm sure they're awake."

"As if you know anything about marine animals - " Taehyun sits back on his blanket grumpily. "What are you doing here, hyung? I thought you won't be back from your honeymoon until tonight?"

Jinwoo rolls his eyes. "I can't stay another minute there, the is too overwhelming."

"What? Did you guys do anything?"

"There's something I haven't told you, you see. It makes things quite complicated - "

"Again?" Taehyun throws a dolphin doll at his older cousin. "I thought we promised to tell each other everything, huh? Two days ago was Jiyong-hyung and now this?" A soft ball that looks like sea urchin lands on Jinwoo's chest.

"I thought it's better to tell you this face to face."

"Duh, have you heard of Skype?"

"Oh, shut up!" Jinwoo picks up the toys from the floor and throws them back to the bed. "Anyway, if I tell you this, you're not gonna judge me, right?"

Taehyun glares. "Are you seriously asking me that?"

"Okay, okay, fine! I reached first base with Mino."

"So you guys are official?"

"Not yet." Jinwoo sags down onto the floor and leans on the wall beside Taehyun's bed. 

"WAIT, WHAT?" Taehyun screams. "Since when do you go around kissing people who are not your boyfriend?"

"We were a bit high. And then I was confused for a moment, I thought he was Jiyong and - and it happened."

"And Song Mino let you do that to him?"

"More than that." Jinwoo hugs his knees tightly. "He kissed me back. And I was touching him all over - "

"OMG hyung, that's so messed up! You must must must talk to him and clarify. NOW."

"He's still in Jeju-do, Tae. And already I told him up until the part where I mistook him for Jiyong. He said he understood and he even treated me better after that."

“That means he likes you."

"Are you totally sure? Because it will be ultra humiliating if I get rejected - "

Taehyun smirks. "My dear Jinwoo-hyung, if he rejects you, that only leads to the conclusion that he is brainless and tasteless and therefore he doesn't deserve to be my brother-in-law."

Jinwoo smiles widely.

“Good luck seducing him. I know how y you can be when you want it - ”

“Shut up!"

 

***

 

“I’m home! ^^ ”

Jinwoo jumps up from his bed when he receives the text from Mino just past midnight. Without typing out a reply, he dashes to his dressing room and changes into a casual grey cardigan and jeans, then rushes off to the parking garage. Minutes later, he is driving his new sleek Bugatti Veyron down the hill and a uniformed security guard approaches his car when he stops in front of a pair of imposing black gates.

"Excuse me, could you give me your name and the purpose of your visit?"

"Kim Jinwoo. I'm here to see your young master Song Mino."

"Do you have an appointment, Mr. Kim?"

He knows this is standard security protocol, but Jinwoo sighs impatiently. His anxiety level is nearly at its peak and he has no time for the questioning. "No, but I'm Mino's friend and I wanna see him." He takes out his driver's license and passes it to the guard. "I'll just leave this at the guard post. Is it sufficient?"

The guard uses his flashlight to check the ID. "Sure, Mr. Kim. Thank you for your cooperation." He presses a button and the gates swing open. "Please go straight through the driveway and turn right to the underground carpark. Someone will be waiting to guide you."

"Thanks." Jinwoo rolls up his window and drives in. At the basement, a middle-aged maid appears and leads him to the third floor, through the corridor and to the familiar double door. She knocks twice before opening the door, bowing and gesturing politely at Jinwoo to enter.

Mino’s room is still at colourful as ever, but the lights are so dim that Jinwoo is wondering whether Mino is already in bed. He changes into a pair of fluffy Winnie the Pooh slippers and makes his way further into the spacious room, softly calling out, “Mino-yah?” 

There is no answer, but he finds Mino lying on his stomach on the bed, a pair of gold Bang and Olufsen earphones tightly plugged in his ears. Mino seems to be engrossed on sketching something, unclothed from waist up, revealing a broad tanned back. The rest of his body is covered by a thick Hamtaro duvet, leading Jinwoo to wonder whether he is wearing anything else down there...

Jinwoo approaches the bed cautiously and slides into the duvet beside Mino, throwing an arm casually around his exposed waist (after noting with slight disappointment that Mino’s bottom half is covered by a pair of loose shorts). “Hello.”

Shock coursing through his veins, Mino jerks back and starts hitting Jinwoo with his sketchbook, while his other hand is reaching towards the emergency button at the corner of his bed.

“Mino-yah! It’s me!” Jinwoo slaps the sketchbook away and jumps across the bed to prevent the other from pressing the button and waking up the entire house.

The younger instantly stops flailing around and throws his sketchbook carelessly on his bed, his hands going straight to cupping Jinwoo’s face agitatedly, checking for any scratches. “Are you okay? I’m sorry, I thought it was an intruder - “

“I’m fine. Didn’t anyone tell you you had a visitor?”

“Err, they should have - but I haven't checked my phone since I started sketching.” Mino bites his lips in embarrassment, suddenly aware that the older is still on top of him in a crawling position, but Jinwoo doesn’t seem to find it uncomfortable in the slightest.

“What are you drawing, by the way? Can I see?” He looks aside at the neglected sketchbook and stretches out his arm to grab it, but Mino shouts, “No!” and springs forward to take the book away from Jinwoo, trapping the both of them into a fierce tussle. 

“What are you hiding? Is it a sketch of your body?” Jinwoo asks through gritted teeth, still trying to pull the thick book towards him.

Cheeks suddenly stained with a pinkish blush, Mino stutters to find an answer, and Jinwoo exploits this diversion to wrestle away the sketchbook and flip it to reveal a half-complete sketch of two men on a beach, one tying the shoelaces of the other, eyes locked in an intimate gaze. “Ah, so you still remember.”

Mino attempts to retrieve the object back, his face is as red as a ripe tomato, but Jinwoo hides it behind his back. “If you really want to sketch me, why didn’t you tell me to come over? I can be your model.”

“Hyung, please - “

“Please what?” Jinwoo stares sharply.

Mino dives under his duvet and hides his face. “Ugh this is so embarrassing.”

The duvet is soon pulled away and Jinwoo pins Mino against the bed with a smile on his face, forcing Mino to look into his fixed gaze. He moves his face closer, and the younger, red faced and wide eyed, whispers hoarsely, “Are you going to - “

Jinwoo his own lips. “Only if you want me to.” His heart is racing rapidly and a sheen of cold sweat starts to break across the edges of his temples, but he inches forward, refusing to back away.

“I’m - I’m not Jiyong - “

“I know who you are.” the other’s sharp jawline, Jinwoo says, “Can you keep a secret for me, Mino-yah? I came back to Seoul early to think, because being too close to you for too long started to cloud my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about that night in your villa - “

Without any warning, Mino cups Jinwoo’s face in his clammy hands and devours his lips ravenously, fingers roaming across Jinwoo's smooth neckline and the gentle curve of his spine. Jinwoo pulls away just as Mino starts to sigh in pleasure. 

“Why did you stop?”

“You better get something to cover your body before I do more inappropriate things to you."

Mino sniggers and pulls the other tightly in a crushing hug. “Don’t be silly, Kim Jinwoo. I can always press the emergency button.”

Jinwoo lifts an eyebrow. “Oh, dropping the honorifics already?”

"No, actually I was planning to call you oppa. How does that sound?”

Jinwoo chortles and attempts to suppress his laughter while saying, “Just try calling me that in front of my family tomorrow. I wanna see their reaction.”

“What?”

“You’re cordially invited to Sunday brunch at my place.”

“By who?”

“By me.”

Mino contemplates the invitation for a while before asking, “Is it really okay? Do you think your grandma will like me?”

“Yeah, as long as you don’t call me Jinwoo-oppa - “

“, I shouldn’t have said that."