Resolution

High Society

The clouds are curling slowly over Seoul in the distance, and Seungyoon finds himself in a rare moment of distraction. Ever since Mino’s call a few days ago, he has been restless, fingers tapping mindlessly during a shareholder meeting, eyes wandering around his own office whenever he is alone. It is now three o’clock in the afternoon, clearly still working hour, but Kang Seungyoon stands facing the window, thinking. 

Jinwoo dropped him a call shortly before lunchtime, his tone of voice undecipherable, let alone his emotion. As usual, he is safely tucked behind a wall that Seungyoon barely treads, let alone crosses. He wonders whether Mino has managed to find a way to break through this barrier. Hopefully not.

“Director Kang, your friend is here to see you.”

“Let him in.”

Seungyoon turns around from the window just as a familiar figure enters the room. 

“Do you have time to talk?”

“I’m not busy today.” He smiles, attempting to drive away his bubbling anxiety, and leads his guest to the sofa. “How was your business trip?”

“Seungyoon, I’m here to apologize.” 

His heart is hammering against his chest uncomfortably and his lungs starts constricting against his will. A rush of panic enters his bloodstream, causing him to grip a standing lamp for balance.

“Are you alright?” The smooth voice fills his brain and a pair of arms guide Seungyoon slowly to his sofa. “I can come back another time - “

“No, stay here.” Seungyoon figures perhaps it is for the best to get this turmoil over and done with. “It’s you and Mino, is it?”

Jinwoo takes a deep breath. “Did he tell you?”

“So it’s true.” He leans back and covers his face with his pale white hands.

“Kang Seungyoon, I’m sorry. You are a good person and I don’t say this easily, but I hope we can stay as friends.” Jinwoo adds quickly, “Only if you want to, of course.”

Seungyoon shakes his head and looks down, face still concealed behind his hands. Startled by the reaction, Jinwoo touches the other’s shoulder tentatively, “Seungyoon-ah, you - “

“Tadah! Just kidding!” Seungyoon guffaws at his guest’s dumbfounded expression. “Just testing whether you actually care about me.”

“You’re insane.” Jinwoo frowns, his concern not yet alleviated. “Are you really okay?"

“Come here.” Seungyoon extends his arms, and Jinwoo tilts his head in confusion. “You owe me a bro hug.”

Jinwoo complies, wrapping an arm around Seungyoon and patting his back gently. “Thank you.”

Seungyoon only closes his eyes and revels in Jinwoo’s fruity scent, forcing himself to be content with the unfortunate reality and to stop wondering how lucky Mino is. It is his own fault for falling too fast and too deep, Seungyoon thinks. 

Now he just has to learn to crawl out of his love-hole and move on.

 

***

 

(eight months later)

 

“How do I look?”

 

“Smoking hot.”

 

“You haven’t even looked at me!”

 

Jinwoo turns around and scans Mino from head to toe, eyes darkening with lust. “See, this is why I don’t like looking at you before important events, because you always look super irresistible in a suit and I just feel like ing everything one by one - “ He starts fiddling with the half-windsor knot of Mino’s silk tie when Seungyoon steps in.

 

“Guys, seriously, I’m getting jealous here so you should probably get a room - oh, wait, this is your room.” Seungyoon proceeds to drag his friends out of the Presidential Suite. “We have to roll now. The guests are waiting for you to give the opening speech.”

 

“Do I look okay?” Mino asks.

 

“Well, you look good enough for Prince Jinwoo.” Seungyoon smirks.

 

“Just letting you know that this joke is getting old, buddy,” Jinwoo rolls his eyes.

 

They join Taehyun and Seunghoon, who are still bickering about something in the lobby, and everyone literally turns their head when the five tall and model-like young men pop up at the entrance of the newly constructed extension of S Resort. A loud buzz of gossips start surfacing.

 

“Which one is from Kim-Nam Group?”

 

“Two of them are there! I think the one with the 5:5 hair parting is the one from the Nam side of the family.”

 

“Oh my God, they are all so good-looking! I should have brought my daughter here.”

 

“Ssh, the speech is starting!”

 

Song Mino watches nervously as his mother starts introducing herself to the guests as the CEO of S Hotels. He is squeezing his small cue cards tightly when a soft hand covers his fist and gives it gentle reassuring pats. 

 

Jinwoo says, “Just look at me later. Take a deep breath.”

 

“Then I’m gonna end up saying ‘I love you’ instead of continuing my speech.”

“Don’t be retarded.”

Mino smiles, his anxiety slowly receding. When his mother announces that it is time for him to speak as the project manager, he plants a kiss on Jinwoo’s cheek before stepping onto the podium on the stage.

“He’s so whipped.” Taehyun whispers into Seungyoon’s ear.

“Eww, look at Mino sending those cheesy glances at our table from the stage. This is getting gross.” Seunghoon sticks out his tongue.

“I know right.” Seungyoon shakes his head. “Because Jinwoo-hyung is too handsome - "

Jinwoo glares, “Guys, shut up.”

 

***

 

Escaping from the crowded party, Mino is sipping a warm hojicha latte, examining a pair of trendy made-in-Italy outdoor recliners in the empty balcony of the art gallery.

“Congratulations.” Kwon Jiyong steps out onto the wooden decks, making click-clack sounds with his Church’s brogues.

“Thanks.” Mino gestures at the recliner, offering his guest a seat.

“How is Jinwoo doing? I heard his company just had a massive China expansion.”

“He’s busy, but he’s learning fast.” Surveying the other, Mino is surprised to discover that despite being as stylish as ever, Jiyong has lost a considerable amount of weight and his cheeks look gaunt under his makeup. “Hey, do you wanna talk to Jinwoo? He’s downstairs getting some drinks.”

Jiyong only gives a reluctant smile and leans back on his recliner.

“I won’t block you from contacting Jinwoo, you know. You guys are childhood friends and I know he still cares about you - “

“I’m not too concerned about you getting jealous either, Song Mino. I will just wait until he’s ready to talk to me, then maybe we can be friends again.”

“Alright.” Mino takes another sip of his latte and lets the smell of roasted green tea waft into his nose.

Jiyong stands up, walking over to Mino’s seat. “Look, I know I have no right to request something like this from you, but please take care of Jinwoo and don’t  ever do what I did to him. He is and will always be a precious person to me. If you mistreats him - “ He curls his fist into a ball and stares fiercely into the other’s eyes.

Mino nods in understanding, meeting Jiyong’s gaze directly.

“You’re a lucky man, Song Mino.” Jiyong walks away without another word.

 

***

 

Barely minutes after Jiyong’s departure, Jinwoo appears from the doorway and saunters elegantly, his scarf fluttering under the strong wind. Holding up two glasses of cocktails, he asks, “Passionfruit or lychee?”

Mino puts down his empty cup of coffee and grins. “Can I choose Jinwoo?”

“No.” Jinwoo shoves a random glass at Mino and links their arms together while laughing heartily.

Mino tucks a strand of loose brown hair behind Jinwoo’s ear and finds the other staring at him, doe eyes twinkling under the afternoon sunlight.

“Don’t ever leave me, Kim Jinwoo.”

“I don’t have a habit of leaving the man I love.”