Elephant in the Room

High Society

Loud sounds of laughter erupt from the big jacuzzi tub. Mino is enacting a story of him falling off his chair during his company's annual shareholder meeting, creating big splashes of warm water on the balcony's wooden flooring. Jinwoo continues on laughing, until his eyes start tearing, his stomach starts hurting and his thoughts drifting away from everything but the man in front of him.

Mino is b with burst of infectious happiness that chips away at Jinwoo's cold exterior and finally melts it altogether. Every second spent with Mino increases Jinwoo's affection for him exponentially, and the wealthy heir knows that he will be stupid not to take his chance to embark in a new relationship. 

"And that was not the worst! Do you know what my mom did after I fell? She said I had to X-ray my and she told her secretary to call a bloody ambulance! I kept telling her I was okay, but then a few people came in with a stretcher - "

Jinwoo, who is in the course of sipping his lemon sparkling water, bursts out laughing once again and coughs after he chokes on his own saliva. Mino is busy patting his back when the doorbell rings.

"Did you order room service?"

"Nope," Mino shakes his head. "Maybe that's a hotel staff. Let me answer the door." He gets up from the top and ties his bathrobe, concealing the toned torso that Jinwoo finds rather droolworthy.

Mino rushes towards the grand entrace of the suite, feeling annoyed at the sudden disruption. He opens the door and comes face to face with a stranger in a suit. 

"Who are you?"

The stranger shows him a pair of casual square-framed Oakley sunglasses. "Does this belong to you?"

Mino examines the sunglasses and turns it around a few times. "Nah, it's not mine. Why?"

"I found it just outside this suite. Well, if it's not yours, I'll hand it over to the concierge downstairs - "

"Oh, hang on, maybe it belongs to my friend. Give me a sec." Mino leaves the door half open and walks back to where Jinwoo is. "Hyung, is this yours?"

Jinwoo's forehead curls up in a slight frown. “Hmm, let me check my bathrobe pocket - oh! It’s mine! I think I might have dropped it on the way here."

Mino smiles and puts the sunglasses on Jinwoo's half wet face. "Tadah! Okay, let me settle with the guy who found it.” Mino grabs a notepad and a hotel pen and hands it to the stranger. "Hey, thanks a lot. It's my friend's apparently. Can you write your name and contact number here? I'll message you to arrange a small token of appreciation."

The stranger hesitates for a while. "Technically, my boss was the one who found it - "

"Secretary Yoo! What's taking so long?" Rapid footsteps are approaching, and soon after, Kwon Jiyong appears before Mino's face. "Oh, we meet again, Song Mino-sshi."

"Unfortunately yes." Mino replies with an alert voice. "How do you find the suite you’re staying in?"

"It's good. Will be better if I can share the experience with a special someone," Jiyong replies pointedly.

"Well, good luck finding that person, then. Enjoy your stay."

Mino moves to close the door when a voice rings out from inside the suite. "Mino-yah, can I eat these cherries?"

During the moment of distraction, Jiyong says swiftly, "Secretary Yoo, go downstairs and wait for me there. I need to settle something here." He then blocks the nearly closed door with his body, pushes forward and slams it close behind him.

Jiyong is greeted by the sight of Jinwoo, half-, holding a crystal bowl full of cherries, his toned body still glistening with droplets of water. He realizes that Mino has only been wearing his bathrobe this entire time. 

"Jinwoo-yah," Jiyong exclaims in despair. "How can you do this to me? How can you be with another man when I'm here?"

Mino grabs his jacket from a hanger beside the entrance and drapes it over Jinwoo's exposed body. "Jiyong-sshi, please step out of this room now - "

"Don't touch him!" Jiyong now sends fiery glares at Mino's direction. "How dare you putting your hand on my Jinwoo - "

"Get out." Jinwoo utters coldly. "You are trespassing into my friend's room and he has every right in the world to kick you out of here. And for the record, I'm not yours, at least not anymore."

"Jinwoo-yah, please - "

"I think it's time we both move on. I don't wanna live in the past any longer, Kwon Jiyong-sshi. Neither should you."

"Is it because of him?" Jiyong points at Mino.

Both men are staring at Jinwoo, waiting expectantly for him to confirm or deny the allegation. Instead, Jinwoo throws a question at Jiyong bitterly. "Do you remember what you did to me?"

"I did, baby, it was horrible and I'm sorry - "

"Your apology is never gonna be enough."

"Then what is?" Jiyong fixes his gaze on his ex-boyfriend, almost pleading. "Tell me what I must do for you to give me another chance and I will do it."

Looking squarely ahead like an infuriated predator, Jinwoo approaches Jiyong slowly and determinedly, leaving trails of water on the plush carpeted floor. Putting his mouth against the other's ear, Jinwoo whispers, "Get away from me for the time being. And don't touch Song Mino or try to screw up his business. Remember that Korea is my family's turf."

Jiyong's entire body freezes up. The Jinwoo he sees is not the same warm and sweet boy he knew in America. Here is a young man, cold and confident, and a flood of regret starts pouring into Jiyong's heart. The realization that Jinwoo no longer wants him slowly sinks in, and Jiyong's heart is bleeding with remorse. "Okay, if it is what it takes for you to be happy." He turns to Mino, who still stands rooted to his spot, and says, "Mino-sshi, if we happen to meet in our future dealings, please act like you know nothing about this." After taking a last look at Jinwoo, Jiyong puts on a pair of sunglasses to hide his own expression and leaves the room quietly.

The doors close with a soft click.

Mino approaches the older man and taps his shoulder tentatively, “What did you tell him?"

"It's over." Jinwoo exhales in relief. He was expecting Jiyong to kick up a huge fuss, like what he usually did when he failed to get something that he wanted, but it seems like Jiyong has matured and changed for the better during the time they were apart. "Anyway, I was gonna ask you, can I eat the cherries on the coffee table?"

"Y - yeah - sure.”

There is a strong vibe that Jinwoo is trying to steer away from their earlier conversation and Mino is wise enough to know that perhaps certain things are better left unsaid. And the sight of Jinwoo plopping a cherry in his mouth and smiling in bliss is starting to distract him.

At least Kwon Jiyong is out of the picture, Mino thinks, but his mind seems to be filled with new seeds of doubt. What if Jinwoo only has platonic feelings for him, just like Seungyoon? It is hard to dig into what is in Jinwoo's heart, and Mino has no idea when he will have the courage to even ask.