Chapter 6

Mistaken Endearment

 

 

I read that sentence a few trillion times. "Minho! Where did you go?!" I heard Taemins voice get closer, I stepped into the washroom and locked it. It had been so long since I even heard from Jonghyun or even thought about him, of course I still  loved him, you don't just get rid of your feelings the same time you get rid of your relationship. I began typing a response around three times before I gave up and didn't respond at all. "Minho! Are you in there?" Taemin asked, knocking on the door. "Yeah." My voice cracked. "Jonghyun said he'd like to talk to you!" Taemin said. Before I could respond I heard Amber walking out the room with Taemin. I felt more hurt than anything. Jonghyun couldn't just break up with me whenever he wanted and then text me and apologize whenever he though it was okay to, but ignore me every time I tried to explain anything to him or apologize for things I didn't even do. What even was I to him? Was I even anything? Or was I just someone he thought will always be there for him despite him using me in all ways possible. I turned the tap on before I started sobbing. At first i cried because of Jonghyun and then because of me for being so stupid. And then I cried because I didn't even know what or how I felt about anything anymore. There was a knock on the door after a while. "Minho? Are you okay? What happened? Taemin is gone now." She said. I washed my face before I opened the door, wiping it with a paper towel. I walked into Amber who was standing right in front of the door. "Are you okay?" She looked up at me, I avoided eye contact. "Fine." I muttered, walking out the room and pulling my suitcase into the room, searching for clothes. "Sorry. I didn't know he'd call." She avoided saying Jonghyun's name.  "Don't be sorry." I looked at her and quickly looked back away, afraid that she'd find out I was crying. Amber came and placed herself beside me. "Were you crying?" She was awkward about asking. I turned to look at her, smirking. "Yeah." I admitted, looking away and gluing my eyes to the ground, feeling the tears take over again. I felt her arms wrap around me, she buried my face into her collar bone, I kept my hands to myself, only making contact with her skin when I unwrapped her arms from around me. "Did you check what he texted?" She asked. "He just said he misses me and that he was sorry." I stood on my feet then. "Don't reply if you haven't already." She said. "I haven't." I smirked at how excited she was about this. "If he misses you let him miss you. He doesn't deserve you if it takes him three other people to believe you." Amber flopped herself on the bed. "Stop flopping around Amber." I took my shirt off and threw it at her. "Stop stripping." She laughed. I chuckled. "What? Afraid you'll fall in love with me?" I loved how much my mood changed in just a matter of seconds because of her. "Maybe it's the other way around." She joked. "Maybe it is." I stretched the is until she threw my own shirt at me. "Is this a confession?" She sat crisscross on the bed. "Well nobody said it's not." I , unsure of how I really felt. "Ew. Go take a shower so we can get food." Amber pointed at the washroom door. "You're ew." I followed along with her joke, closing the door before she had a chance to say anything. 

 
 
When I was done showering I walked into the kitchen which smelled of noodles and cookies. "What did you order?" I rubbed my hair with my towel before throwing it over the counter and onto the couch. "Noodles and cookies and ice cream and chicken." Amber had her hair in a bun and she was still  in her night clothes. I stared at her as she reheated the chicken and noodles for me. "Amber." I called out, frustrated that she hadn't looked at me once yet. "Hmm?" She turned her head towards me. "What?" She asked. I walked over to her, still quiet. "What?" She repeated, trying to hide her smile. We stood inches apart in front of the microwave. "What?" Her voice was lower this time and she stepped back. I laughed. "Don't go out of your way to warm it." I took the food out of the microwave and grabbed the same chopsticks I guessed Amber had just used. "I just used those." She said. "It's fine." I went to go sit in front of the TV as I ate. "Taemin said he'd be here in two hours and that we could go out when he comes, I'll go get ready." She walked into the room, closing the door behind her. I despised the thought of Taemin coming anywhere with us, especially if I was going to be the third wheel with my pretend girlfriend. Amber walked out ready, amazing me again. "You look good." I complimented her. "Have you seen yourself?" She smiled. I chuckled, placing the dishes in the sink. "I have, but I've also been staring at you." I turned the tv off and went to put my shoes on. "Let's just go out until Taemin arrives." Amber suggested. "Are you asking me out?" I . "Have you seen yourself?" She looked at me with disgust. "Why else do you think I'm asking?" I watched as she held her laugh. "Shut up Minho." She stood beside me. "Shut up Minho." I mocked her. Amber rolled her eyes at me before she walked out and I followed, locking the door behind us. 
 
As soon as we were outside Amber saw the hotel next to ours, which looked much bigger. "Can we sneak in there?" She asked. "What?" I smiled at her, loving how spontaneous she was being. "Come on! It'll be fun!" She grabbed my arm and pulled me closer towards the hotel. "Only if we don't get caught." I agreed before we walked in. Amber was confident as she walked into the hotel, still with her arm twirled around mine I noticed how she smiled at the lady at the counter before walking towards the elevator and getting on. There was an older couple on the elevator, which caused us to stay quiet and awkward until they got off. Amber let go of my arm and glued her face to the wall. "Oh my god. That was so crucial!" She turned around and pretended as if nothing happened when the door opened, we decided to get off. "This way." We both said, pointing in different directions. "Fine, I'll meet you back here." I turned and started walking towards the window, which I ended up staring out of for a while. Then I proceeded to walk as quietly as possible through the already silent hallway. I was suddenly grabbed by Amber. "Amber what are you-" "shh!" She placed her finger over my lips. "We have to run!" She took my hand and we started running through the hallway, passing doorways and people who looked at us weird, we ran up two flights of stairs before we hid between to walls built close across each other. Amber was pressed against me in the tight little space, her head was turned towards the little crack which let us see what was happening in the hallways.  She turned her head and leaned it against the wall behind her, still breathing hard. "What are we running from?" I asked. She turned to see if whatever we were hiding from was still coming, placing her thumb over my mouth and the rest of her fingers went on my jaw and neck. "Shh." She repeated as I took her hand in mine removing it from my face. We held eye contact for the first time in the tight space, pressed against one another. "Does this make you uncomfortable?" Amber whispered. I lowered my eyes onto the rest of her face, avoiding her eyes. "Not as uncomfortable as this would've  made me." Without thinking about it I took my hand that was free and placed it under her chin, gently tilting her face higher before placing my lips onto her cheek. The flash of a camera is what made me flinch as I backed my face away from Ambers. She tightened her grip on my hand when I slammed my fist into the wall behind her. "." I muttered before walking out. I ignored the reporter pretending he wasn't standing there. Amber let go of my hand, wrapping her arms around herself as we made our way out the building and towards our own. 
 
I saw her run into Taemins arms from a distance, I didn't like the way he looked at me before he squeezed Amber. I walked up to them. "Minho, you've gone from being my best friend to some quiet weirdo!" He stepped towards me, hugging me for a second before pulling away. "He's just been tired." Amber spoke for me. "What have you been doing to make him tired?" Taemin made Amber laugh as we climbed into the car, Amber and I sat in the back, but she still chose to completely ignore me and talk to Taemin as if I wasn't there. I already felt like a third wheel and was starting to criticize myself as to what I could've done to get Amber to ignore me. I poked her leg, and she didn't even look at me. Yup, she was mad. Was it the kiss? Was it that she didn't want to be kissed by someone who was gay? I felt jealously again, I was upset that she gave Taemin all her attention. My thoughts drifted back to me liking her... More than a friend. I couldn't think of any reason why I decided to kiss her even if I was on the cheek, I couldn't pin point why exactly I felt the way I did about her, I couldn't tell anyone anything because now even my best friend who I drifted apart from was after her. She was just that amazing, but it's not like I could help myself. I just kept on wishing that she didn't hate me because I told her about Jonghyun. I almost felt the same way about her as I did when Jonghyun first confessed to me, almost. I focused on Amber laughing again as we got off the car and into some restaurant to grab some more food, she sat in the front when we came back to the car with our food. I kept over thinking small reasons as to why she could've been ignoring me. I ate as I thought, tapping my foot to the music on the radio and trying to get myself to stop staring at her while she laughed. Taemin put the top of his car down, allowing wind to blow through every part of me. I passed Amber my jacket before Taemin could, without her even hinting that she was cold. She placed my jacket over her shoulders as she sipped her drink. We arrived at a beach, I saw how they acted like a couple more than we were supposed to act like a couple. I followed them around, they flirted with one another continuously. I was raging with anger. They even started taking pictures without me. Amber spoke to me at this point. "Minho! Come!" She motioned me towards her with her hand. "I'll go sit over there." I found a bench to sit on as far away from them as possible but couldn't stop looking at Amber having fun with someone else. My phone rang and without looking to see who was calling I picked up. "Minho." Jonghyuns voice. My chest felt heavy at the sound of his voice. I didn't say anything. I heard him breathing on the other end of the phone. "Sorry." He said. I rolled my eyes, leaning back in my seat and looking up at the sky. Of course I missed him, but I'd never let him know. We all knew how he'd get angry over anything again. "I really miss you. The only thing I regret is being an as*hole to you." I could tell he was holding back tears. "Minho! Let's go get ice cream!" Amber screamed as she sprinted closer to me. I shut the phone and placed it in my pocket. "Stop running around so much, I doubt it's good for you." I placed my arms on the sides of her shoulders. She brushed them off and walked away then and I followed, she was still sending off that vibe of being mad at me. I pulled my sun glasses over my eyes so I could stare at her when she smiled. Taemin drove us to get ice cream and Amber sat in the passenger seat again. I waited in the car while they got ice cream, telling Taemin to just get me whatever looked good. He came back before Amber did. "Amber looked pretty good." He attempted to be funny. "Do you like her?" I asked without shaking any signs of happiness. "She's hot." Taemin said just before Amber came into the car with her ice cream. The look Taemin had given me before told me that he only wanted to sleep with Amber. I demolished the ice cream in three spoons. We drove around and went to the mall and a few other places. I got another phone call at this point, I actually checked who it was this time, Mr.Kim. "Hello?" I answered. "You're in Australia with Amber ?!" He seemed more shocked than happy. "Yeah. Taemin is here too." I informed. "I don't care where Taemin is ! He would tell me if he went somewhere with his girlfriend at least! I wouldn't have to receive everything you do from the media?" I actually felt bad for him now. "What did we do?" I asked, just as I remembered the hotel and the cheek. "Sorry." I said right away. "Anyways. There's a party you have to go to tomorrow. It's the main reason I even sent you to Australia. Just go and have fun, but wear the suit the company sent you and Amber." He said. "Okay." I agreed. "I'll call you later." He shut the phone before I even had a chance to say bye. 
 
 
Once Taemin dropped us off back to our hotel, it had gotten pretty late at night and Amber still hadn't talked to me, I noticed how Amber wasn't even looking at me. "Amber." I asked as she walked out the room and into the kitchen, quiet. "Amber?" I asked, sitting on the bar stool on the opposite side of the kitchen counter. "What?" She attacked me with her words. "Are you mad at me?" I placed my head on my arm and kept my eyes on her as she moved from the fridge and to the counter, cutting vegetables. "No." She started cutting the vegetables faster. "We're you on the phone with Jonghyun earlier?" She surprised me by suddenly brining him up. "Yea. Why?" I asked, sitting up straight in my chair now. She was quiet again, chopping the vegetated fast as she could. "Amber, stop that you'll cut yourself!" I grabbed her wrist and the knife fell out of her hand sliced into my foot. She got onto her knees, trying to stop the blood from flowing by pressing her hands onto it. I pulled my foot away, feeling nauseous as I headed towards the door. "Minho. Sorry! Don't go." She grabbed my hand. "I can. I'll get." Her voice trailed off. "Just wait." She pulled me toward the living room and ran off into the bedroom. I saw the blood gush out my foot as if it was being pushed out, almost like my body was rejecting it. Everything slowly started fading to black. I placed my hand on my head taking a seat on the couch. "Amber." I called, knowing even before I said something she wouldn't be able to hear me. I saw her appear before my face. Telling me I looked pale and before I could hear the rest I heard a stinging sound in both of my ears, completely  numbing my ability to hear. Everything went all black before I knew what happened next