(5) Breaking the wall

Invincible Wall

 

 

I laughed out loud.

 

"Good Lord, Kim Woobin." Jongsuk protested. My sudden laughter surely took him by surprise. He was studying his new script seriously.

 

My laughter didn't die down seeing his annoyed expression. On the contrary, it became bigger. Oh God, this is the best day ever!

 

"What is it?" Instead of answering, I gave him my phone. Confused, he took my phone and read the news I had been reading before. After a while, he looked up. "He is the father."

 

I nodded happily. "I have no purpose to be happy when others are not. But the news makes me super happy. Kim Hyunjoong is the father. The chance of me getting Somin is somehow bigger now."

 

"Ah, I see."

 

I took back my phone from him. ”She is different lately by the way."

 

"Different?"

 

"Yes. Reachable. Especially after I came over with Minah to her place and explained." I smiled in relief. "I feel that the opportunity is mine. Finally."

 

"Good for you." My best friend said genuinely.

 

BUZZ!

 

Speaking of the source of my happiness, I saw her name flashing on my phone. She is calling! I grinned like lunatic and pressed yes button. "Hello!"

 

"Woobin-ah.." She exclaimed. "Guess what?"

 

"What?"

 

"He is the father." She laughed happily. Too happy. Overly happy. Happiness with sadness behind. "Well I guess I should congratulate him."

 

I sighed softly. Jung Somin, hearing you like this, I am pretty sure that you are still in love with him. Damn I envy you Kim Hyunjoong! "Congratulate him?"

 

"Yes." I could imagine her nodding.

 

"Were you saying that you are going to meet him?"

 

"No." She snapped. And, it made me feel relief. But, the feeling was short-lived. "I'll say it when he calls me again."

 

What? They stay in touch? I couldn't believe my hearing! How could she- Damn it! I suddenly felt like losing hope. No matter how hard I tried- I would never replace that guy inside her heart.

 

"Woobin-ah, you are still there?" She carefully asked. It seemed that I stayed silent for quite some times and she noticed the absence of my response.

 

"Yes." I caught Jongsuk's curious stare to me and I decided to stay away. Slowly I stood up and headed to the window. "Are you busy with something at the moment?" I tried to change the topic. At first the news made me super happy and now- it made me hopeless. Great!

 

"Just resting. And- Hm- Ok. I won't lie to you. I kinda waited for the result, you know. The paternity test." There she goes again! "Hyunjoong loves kids. And now he is a father." She was sad. From the last statement, I noticed the change of her voice. "We planned to have lots of kid." She giggled sadly.

 

I closed my eyes tight. This is it! I seriously had enough. The rollercoaster feeling was killing me. "Jung Somin.." I hissed. "Stop it."

 

"Mwo?"

 

"I.don't.want.to.hear.every.single.thing.about.Kim.Hyunjoong."

 

"I-"

 

"In case you forget," I snapped my eyes open. "I confessed to you about my feeling. Maybe you had no interest toward me or you were simply being insensitive- Still- It's hurt." I finally said it! I couldn't believe the bravery inside me. I just stated my feeling every time she mentioned him. "You can call me sissy but I am not going through all of that again."

 

And, she kept mum.

 

"I am fully understand of you are not ready. But I refuse to compete his shadow. Damn it he hurt you again and again! But you keep on adoring him! Even now-" I ran my free fingers amongst my hair, feeling frustrated. My breathe was raging.

 

Still, she said nothing.

 

"Somin-ah, look. I am not- Don't-"

 

Tut. Tut. Tut.

 

"Jung Somin?" No response but tut tut tut. Great! She hang up! Was I being too harsh? I sighed loudly and walked back to the couch.

 

"What was that?" Jongsuk asked. Well, it seemed that walking away from him was not working. He was still able to hear the whole thing. "You seriously said that?"

 

I threw my suddenly tired body to the couch. "I can't stand it anymore, ok? She keeps on saying Hyunjoong this, Hyunjoong that, we this, we that. I mean come on. Do I seriously have to fight her past?"

 

Jongsuk nodded and rubbed his chin. "Complicated, huh?"

 

"Tell me about it."

 

"But- I don't know. I think those words were the very best shock therapy for her."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yes." He looked at me intently. "She hang up?"

 

I sadly nodded once.

 

"She was in shock. Good! Now you are playing take it or leave it Somin. The closer is crystal clear."

 

"Crystal clear?"

 

Jongsuk smiled. "She takes you or she leaves. Be ready."

 

Oh, ! He was right.

 

 


 

 

"No thanks."

 

"Shinhye won't mind. You know her. She is such a sweetheart."

 

"I know. But I am not in the mood."

 

"You need to relax. You have been so tense lately. Well.. Since THE call."

 

After sighing heavily, "She hasn't-" I shook my head. "I was defeated just after I gave her signal. How pathetic that was?"

 

"Told you before." Jongsuk tapped my shoulder. "A one way trip." He stood up. "It's sounded lame, but if she is the one, she'll find you."

 

She'll find me? Yeah.. Right. That won't happen. I mean- I don't have faith that she'll find me eventually. I came to an understanding that he was her everything. I had no chance.

 

Jongsuk's phone was ringing. "Yeoboseyo?" Jongsuk approached the front door. "Yes. Going to open the door." And, he opened it.

 

A lovely young woman smiled widely. "Hi!" She walked in after Jongsuk moved a little. "Hello, Woobin-ah!" She greeted me warmly.

 

"Hi, Park Shinhye!" I smiled weakly.

 

She walked toward me and sat at the couch in front of me. "Jongsuk was right. You look like a zombie. Lifeless."

 

I glanced at Jongsuk who raised his both hands. "Just saying that statement and nothing more."

 

"Yeah.. He said nothing more. I didn't like to sniff other's problem too." Shinhye smiled sweetly. "So, you are coming. I have plan. You'll be happy."

 

"Nah-"

 

"Do not say no. You definitely need something fun." She winked while Jongsuk chuckled in response. "Come on. I'll treat you meat."

 

I rolled my eyes. "That’s not something I can't buy."

 

Shinhye giggled. "Just come, will you? For the name of our friendship?"

 

I studied her face and Jongsuk's. I noticed how they exchanged secret glances once a while. "Answer my question first." I fought the urgency to let out playful smirk.

 

"Anything." Her replied.

 

"So, Park Shinhye's new status now is Lee Jongsuk's girlfriend?"

 

Both of them shared the color of blood. They even nervously glanced at each other. Oh this sight was priceless. Seeing Jongsuk that nervous was rare, seriously rare. "Am I right? You are his girlfriend now?"

 

"Uhm-" Shinhye stood up and approached Jongsuk. "He is your friend. Answer him." 
 

"Mwo?"

 

I laughed. "Typical Park Shinhye.. I'll make it easy for both of you. No need to answer, I know it already."

 

Shinhye pouted funnily while Jongsuk just rubbed the back of his neck.

 

"It's definitely fun to have you around. But thanks for the offer. My answer is the same. I am not going."

 

"Why?" Shinhye whined.

 

"Seriously.. Not now. Not today."

 

Jongsuk took Shinhye's hand and dragged her to the door. "Let him."

 

"But-"

 

"We will be at Shinhye family's restaurant."

 

"Ok." I leaned over and surrendered my weight to the couch. "Have fun." And I closed my eyes, deciding to have wonderful dream about Somin.

 

If only you gave me chance, if only you opened your heart for me.. I would never hurt you like he did. Never. I would love you and treat you good. If only, Somin.. If only..

 

"We are going now, Woobin-ah." Jongsuk said.

 

I raised my right hand and waved them goodbye.

 

Then, I heard a soft click.

 

"Eh? Jung Somin?" Shinhye stated in surprise.

 

I snapped my eyes open. What? Did Jongsuk just tell Shinhye about my silly love story with Somin?

 

"I wish to see Kim Woobin?"

 

Her voice!

 

And I turned my face. Oh.my.God! She was here! Somin was here. She was standing in front of Jongsuk and Shinhye, in front of my door. Somin- THE Somin. I hurriedly stood up, nearly falling for being so rush.

 

Jongsuk glanced at me and smirked. "Well- Somin-ssi, please come in."

 

Somin smiled nervously. She obviously didn't expect to meet Jongsuk and Shinhye at the moment. But she walked in nevertheless. "Am I disturbing anything?"

 

"No." It was Jongsuk who answered. "On the contrary, we kinda relief to have you here. So, Woobin won't be alone." He looked at me meaningfully.

 

BIG MOUTH!

 

"Jongsuk-ah, we have to go. The movie- I am sorry Somin-ssi.." Shinhye smiled politely.

 

"Oh, that's ok. Don't let me hold you."

 

"Alright then. Have fun you two." Jongsuk gave me his final grin before they leaved us alone.

 

 


 

 

A minute perfect silent took place right after Jongsuk and Shinhye leaved the place. I was still at my shock stage for having her here while it was obvious that she also measured her steps carefully.

 

"Uhm-" She walked closer. "Sorry for coming without informing you before." Somin smiled weakly.

 

"Oh, that's fine." Oh no. So not fine. What are you doing here? No. Don't ask that. "Anything to drink?"

 

"Later." She placed herself in front of me. "I've been thinking."

 

I literally held my breath. She had been thinking. Here is the bomb.

 

"I- Hm-" She let out long and heavy breath. "I admit that maybe I was being insensitive but it was not that I- Well- Hm- How to say this?" She laughed nervously.

 

I narrowed my eyes. "Look, Somin-ah-"

 

"Wait." She raised one of her hands. "I am asking for your understanding. Hyunjoong had been in my life for years. Talking about him was like a habit to me. His name, his everything just popped to the surface. But, that didn't mean that he was still that special for me or anything." She bubbled.

 

HAH?

 

"It was kinda hard to stop talking about him especially in front of someone that I could trust. Someone that wouldn't judge me for being me." She kept on talking without looking at me. "I am sorry if it hurt you. Well, I am also sorry for me for being such an idiot." She laughed sadly. "But- I-"

 

I cupped her face and met our eyes. "Hey." I smiled. "That's fine." Fine my . It wasn't fine but it's fine now. Well.. She is here and explaining.

 

She shook her head forcefully. "No. That's not fine."

 

"I understand."

 

"Woobin-ah.."

 

"Really." Now I was sounded seriously pathetic.

 

She smiled slight. "Why?"

 

"Mwo?"

 

"Why you are acting this way? Why me? Why?"

 

Why? I narrowed my eyes. Why?

 

"I am difficult, you know?"

 

I smiled. Yes, you are.

 

"Then-"

 

"The point is-" I released her face and took her hand, bringing her to the couch. "I need to know."

 

"About?" She asked after we sat side by side.

 

"The chance. Are you willing to give me that?"

 

"Chance?" She was confused.

 

I groaned mentally. Was she being serious? Like really? "To enter your heart? To replace Kim Hyunjoong?"

 

She shut but flushing slowly. Oh she was lovely.

 

"I don't mind if you talk about him but I definitely want something in return."

 

"You talk about punishment?"

 

I smiled. "I need something to ease my heart."

 

"Uhm- Fair enough. What-"

 

"This." And, I met our lips softly. It felt oh so heavenly.

 

 

End.