(4) Knocking the wall

Invincible Wall

 

 

"I don't get it. I seriously don't get it. I thought you suffered high level brain damage. How could you agree to the condition?"

 

"As if you forget- It's part of the contract. The agency-"

 

"But now- How about Somin? How about her? You fought hard to get close to her. You said that after finishing the wine together, things are getting better between both of you-"

 

I sighed heavily.

 

"Woobin-ah, I against your decision! You just ruined your only chance."

 

"Jongsuk-ah, don't make this harder for me. I need your support."

 

"What kind of support? Tell me." He sighed harshly. "How- Your manager- Your agency was stupid. There are lots of other ways than faking a relationship to boost popularity. When you had it with that model, I said no words. But now- the timing is silly. Don't you tell them about Somin?"

 

I weakly shook my head.

 

Jongsuk rubbed his face in frustration. "Idiot." He hissed.

 

Yes. I am such an idiot. But heck- I cannot against it now. The news is spreading like fire already. Kim Woo Bin is dating Shin Minah. Gezz Minah- How could you agree to the condition? Amongst those artists.. Why you?

 

Jongsuk glimpsed to blank me several times before he took his beer and snapped it finished. "I know you, Woobin-ah.. I know that you are serious about Somin. But now- with this-" He took long and deep breath.

 

I am also engaging myself into deep silence.

 

"Have you told her? About the situation?" His voice softened.

 

Again, I shook my head absentmindedly.

 

"Then, what will you say to her?"

 

"I- I don't know." How will I say to Somin?

 

Hey, I am dating somebody else now, pray for my happiness ok?

 

Or

 

Somin, at first, I am aiming you but you are too hard to get so I am getting myself a girlfriend until you are ready to take me.

 

Or

 

These whole things are set-up, but my feeling for you is not. Please.. Wait for me.

 

"This time, I am also clueless about things that are needed to be done. I am sorry. I cannot help you." Jongsuk stated. "However, I do wish for the best." He stood up.

 

"You are leaving?"

 

“I am going to see Shinhye. She needs my advice for her next project.” He took his jacket. “Woobin-ah,”

 

I raised my sight and met my eyes to his.

 

“Contact her.” He said firmly. “At least give her sign that you want to keep her at the friend zone. She must know that you are in relationship now. But-“ He sighed. “Well, to be honest, I am not sure that she’ll play along. She has bad experiences with that came in between before.”

 

I unconsciously held my breath. Oh no! He was right. Somin- She would keep her distance from me. !

 

“Good luck.” Jongsuk tapped my shoulder one time and walked away, leaving me in this cold apartment.

 

Damn it! Damn!

 

I groaned in frustration and smacked my forehead several times. Jongsuk was right! I ruined it all! the agreement. it!

 

BUZZ!

 

I glimpsed to my phone over the coffee table. Caller: Shin Minah. I let out long and heavy breath but still grabbed the phone and greeted her, “Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Woobin-ssi? This is me.”

 

“Yes. What is it?”

 

“The agency wanted us to be spotted as couple in public. Tomorrow night? Is it possible for you to go out with me?”

 

I snapped my eyes close and surrendered my weight to the couch behind me. Spotted as couple in public? No~ How could I face Somin after that?

 

“Woobin-ssi?”

 

I sighed deeply. “I am sorry for the trouble I cause you in the future, Minah-ssi. But- Us as couple- Once a while, it is fine. But, I cannot do it-“ ! I unconsciously spilled it out.

 

Minah laughed softly. “I know it.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I just know it. You already have someone special, right?”

 

Someone special? How could she tell?

 

“That’s fine. I have no problem with that.” She responded. “I actually feel relief.”

 

“Really?” I couldn’t believe my hearing.

 

“You know- Hm- Well, in short- I am in some kind of relationship too. He is the one that I want to protect, the one that I want to keep from drama. When I took the decision, he was also aware and approve. So- Yeah-“

 

Slight smile was there on my lips. Oh, this was easier that he thought. Thanks, God.

 

“So, tomorrow night?”

 

“Of course.”

 

 


 

 

It had been minutes since I took my mobile phone and stared blankly at it. It had been minutes since the first time I experienced internal conflicts. It had been minutes since I typed those two words. Even though it had been minutes, I still had no guts to press send button. How would she react? But- I wanted to reach her.

 

I chanted prayers silently before closing my eyes and finally pressing the send button.

 

Me: Hi! Busy?

 

There!

 

Now- For the response- ! I felt like pathetic teenager! For days we exchanged text messages and it felt good. She replied to me whenever I texted her. Through her responses, I knew whether she was her good moods or not. If she was ok, Somin would give me long and silly responses. If she was not, the messages would be short and plain.

 

And, now- How would she response? The news of me dating Minah was spreading hours ago. And, this would be my very first time contacting her after the scandal.

 

BUZZ!

 

My eyes automatically widened when I saw her name.

 

Somin: Nah- Just doing my usual nothing: Taking Selfie. Hehehe. Wait for it at my Facebook account, ok?

 

I smiled widely. She is in her good mood. I hurriedly typed my next message. But, before I finished it-

 

BUZZ! Another message from her came.

 

Somin: I heard about the dating news. Congratulation! Minah Eonni is awesome! You are so lucky!

 

I stunned and paralyzed.

 

.

 

I put down my phone and lost my interest to text her back. She congratulated me! Oh my! How could- Damn!

 

I felt like losing hope. She was not seeing me the way I expected. And now, when she acknowledged me dating Minah, how could I pursue her? How could I act like I was aiming her? How could I show her that she was the one that I saw? How?

 

 


 

 

And, the nightmare is coming true.

 

Since that night, since she congratulated me, she was withdrawing. She was never being the first who started the silly conversation through text or phone. And, when I took the initiative, she replied simply and meaningless. I was losing her even before I was seriously starting it.

 

I gulped my beer and snapped it finish. This is mess. I am such a mess.

 

“It can’t be that bad. Easy.” Jongsuk placed himself next to me.

 

I snorted. Can’t be that bad? Things are already that bad!

 

“So?”

 

“Hm-“ I rubbed the back of my neck to ease myself. “I don’t know- I want to stay close to her. I want to contact her at every time possible. I want to stay put. But she is- She is moving backward and you are right, knowing her past experience, I don’t want to push her. I don’t want to make her uncomfortable. But- Damn it! I am such a sissy." I groaned loudly. "She gave me no meaningful response but- How can she make me feel this way?" I asked helplessly.

 

"You are falling for her. Hard. That's why."

 

I snorted and glimpsed toward Jongsuk's flashing phone over the table. Shinhye's name was on it. "Are you dating her?"

 

Jongsuk grinned. "Finally you ask. You have been drowning yourself into Somin lately that you fail to notice."

 

"Really?" My eyes widened in shock. "I mean- I am sorry for being insensitive-"

 

"Nah.. We are guys anyway- We don’t sniff to other’s business.”

 

“So?”

 

“So, what?”

 

“Are you dating Shinhye?”

 

Jongsuk laughed. “No. Not yet.”

 

“Why? She is ok.”

 

“She is wonderful.” Jongsuk agreed. “But- Now, it is not about me. I prefer to talk about you and Somin.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Drama. You know I love drama.” He chuckled.

 

“Yah!” Drama? Really? Yeah- I think- I acted like- I have to stop this. What the heck! I took my phone and dialed her number.

 

“You are calling her?”

 

I put my pointy finger on my lips, signaling Jongsuk to shut up. After two rings, she finally picked up. “Hi, Somin-ssi!”

 

“Woobin-ssi.. Uhm- Hi!” She was reluctant to reply me.

 

“That is all fake.” I blunted out. On my way standing from the couch, I caught Jongsuk’s shock expression. “Minah and I- We are not dating- The agency- Somin-ssi.. You are avoiding me, right?”

 

“Wait- What?”

 

“I am taking Minah to your place. Both of us will explain it all to you.”

 

“You got me confused here, Woobin-ssi.”

 

I took one deep breath to ease my raging heart. “I was saying- In short, I want to stay put- I want to stay close to you- I don’t want you to walk away from me just because you think that I am in some kind of relationship with a woman when I am not. The dating thing is a set-up.”

 

“Oh- But-“

 

“Somin-ssi, you have to know that-“ I locked my eyes to Jongsuk. This is it. “As time went by, I found you special and- I wondered- Will you ever give me the chance?”