(1) Looking at the wall

Invincible Wall

 

 

So peaceful.. Han River never failed in easing me down. My tiredness vanished in snap when I inhaled the fresh air, enjoyed the breeze and worshiped the silence. I glimpsed to my wristwatch and noticed that it was already pass midnight and no sign of Lee Jongsuk. That bastard! He is late. Again.

 

Wednesday midnight was always our time. Jongsuk and I. We met here, at Han River, just to jog or ride bicycle. We shared stories and experiences in facing our jobs or fans or else. It was good to have someone to share with. My world sometimes was being too much. It made me hard to breath. I often felt it choke me to death. Therefore, I needed someone who experienced the same just to laugh at it. If not, maybe I already killed myself by now.

 

I propped my running shoes and fixed my hat. I guess, as usual, I have to start first. Maybe Jongsuk will catch me up later. I can imagine him with Shinhye. Ever since they played the drama together, they became close. Although the speculation of Shinhye and Yonghwa are together become stronger lately.

 

I sighed deeply and started my routine. I take the same route, so Jongsuk will spot me directly when he is here.

Just after I was half way, I located a shadow of a woman with hat sitting over a bench nearby. I couldn't explain it but.. My heartbeat rushed when I studied her. Just a glimpse but I felt like she was calling me, she was someone that I knew. I stopped my movement and looked at her closely.

 

 

Somin.

 

 

What are you doing here?

 

She kept her head down but I noticed that her shoulders shook slightly. She was crying. Oh, my.. This instant, I felt pain in my heart. Why should I feel it anyway?

 

She wiped her cheeks and eyes over and over again, wanting to erase the tears. But I just knew that it was no avail. Again, she rubbed her face and looked up to the dark sky. She was preventing the tears from falling, I could tell. Her chest moved several times, gulping huge amount of air. She tried to ease herself down.

 

What was happening? What happened, Somin?

 

I had no idea for how long I stayed there and watched her. I was basically paralyzed. She absorbed me. Her existence up my sanity even she was effortless for that.

 

What the hell is wrong with me?

 

In sudden, as if she noticed my existence, she turned her face to me and stood up. The next second, she started to walk away, taking the opposite path from me.

 

Following my unknown feeling, I caught her up and grabbed her wrist which she shoved harshly in snap. "Somin-ssi." I called her softly.

 

It seemed that she did not hear my voice clearly. She even used her other hand to release herself from me. "Let me go." She said with broken voice.

 

"Somin-ssi, this is me Woobin. Kim Woobin."

 

She looked up and narrowed her eyes, sharpening her sight toward me. Once she realized that it was me, her panicked expression vanished. "Woobin-ssi?"

 

I nodded then smiled. "It is me."

 

"What- ehem- what are you doing here?"

 

"Doing my routine."

 

"Your routine?"

 

I nodded once and released her hand, knowing that she wouldn't try to walk away from me. I somehow learned that she looked more comfortable than before. Maybe because she played movie together before. "Jongsuk and I to be exact. I am waiting for him. And you?"

 

"I-" She was lost in her thought for a second before she cleared . "I was just enjoying the scenery."

 

"This late?"

 

"Yes. I found it peaceful."

 

I smiled. "Yeah. Me too. It is safer anyway. Those fans won't follow us here. I think."

 

She smiled politely. A smile that did not reach her eyes.

 

"Were you leaving?"’

 

"Yes."

 

"Do you mind- Hm- Jongsuk gave me no news. So- accompany me? For a while?" There. I finally threw the bait. Will she eat it? Please yes. Please yes, God.

 

"I don't think that is a good idea."

 

"Why?" I snapped fast.

 

She smiled sadly. "I am not in a good mood. I know that you realize this pathetic face." She drew an imaginary circle all over her face with her pointy finger. "Right now, I just want to be alone."

 

"But I am not-"

 

"I don't want to ruin your day, Woobin-ssi. Dealing with me at this very phase is tiring." She giggled shortly. A giggle that proved how broken she was. "I just-"

 

I suddenly took her hand and dragged her to the corner coffee shop that opened 24 hours. "You need hot chocolate."

 

"Woobin-ssi.."

 

"It will help you. Trust me." I said as I led the way.

 

I heard her sighed heavily as she followed me without any effort to release herself. Which is good, right?

I ordered two cups of hot chocolate and chose my usual spot with Jongsuk. "Jongsuk and I could spend hours here, talking about everything. It is good to have close friend that you trust to share the burdens, you know?"

 

"Hm.." Again, she was lost in her thought for a while. Until her silence was disturbed by the waiter who gave us the hot chocolates. "Thank you." She said politely.

 

"The hot chocolate is awesome." I stated before I grabbed the hot cup, inhaled the sweet scent and sipped the chocholate slowly. It wetted my dry throat and spread comfort all over me.

 

She copied my movement and closed her eyes as she savored the chocolate. "Hm.. This is good." She opened her eyes and smiled sincerely.

 

I grinned widely. "Told you."

 

"I think this place and the hot chocolate will be my favorites."

 

"It helps?"

 

"Hm.." She studied her feeling. "It is." Somin murmured happily.

 

"It never failed us before. Jongsuk and I. We found this together just after we finished School 2013. Ever since, we came here regularly. Together." Again, I gulped the liquid carefully. "I was sounded like gay, huh?" I asked when I caught her staring at me blankly.

 

She smiled weakly. "No." She shook her head. "You were enjoying yourself which is good. I barely did it lately." Somin smiled sadly then sipped the chocolate.

 

"I welcome you to the gang then. Jongsuk won't mind." I winked at her playfully.

 

She smiled.

 

"Anyway.. I watched your Running Man episode before. Too bad you had to give the rings to Haha Hyung and Jihyo Noona."

 

She giggled shortly. "It wasn't my luck. I seriously thought chili oil would be on top." She flicked her tongue. "Those rings were cool."

 

"Another episode then?"

 

She nodded fast. "I'll win next time." Somin grinned playfully.

 

I laughed. "You were having fun back there." It pleased me knowing that there were things that made her forget her sorrow. Her expression changed when she talked about Running Man. The same way when we discussed about Twenty before.

 

"Of course."

 

"I hope there is chance for us to play together."

 

"Ah!" She clapped her hands. "That's a good idea. I watched your episode with Park Shinhye. You were strong. If I am in the same team with you, we may win."

 

She watched my episode? I grinned widely like a lunatic. Seriously.. Hearing that she saw my episode made me feel happy. Extremely happy. "I am this tall and this big is not for nothing."

 

She laughed happily making me laughed with her as well.

 

"So.. I heard that you were considering few dramas?" Oh, ! Why should I ask that? She would know that I looked for her news. Stupid!

 

She nodded and gulped her drink. "Still no decision yet though. And you?" Oh. She had no suspicion.

 

"I decided."

 

"I am looking forward for it then. You are a good actor." She praised me.

 

God, I do hope time stops at the moment.

 

RING! RING!

 

Damn it, Lee Jongsuk!

 

Without looking, I knew that it was Jongsuk who called. I won't pick you up!

 

"What kind drama that catches your interest?" I asked her.

 

RING! RING!

 

And the stupid phone kept on ringing.

 

"I think you should take it, Woobin-ssi.  Maybe it is something important." Finally, Somin said it.

 

I gritted my teeth in annoyance. "Please excuse me." I stood up and moved away from the table. I hurriedly took out my phone and to my prediction it was Jongsuk who called. "WHAT?!" I snapped at him after I pressed the yes button.

 

"Whoaaaaaa?! What was that for?"

 

"You were disturbing me!" I hissed between my teeth as I turned my body and saw Somin enjoying her drink all alone.

 

"Disturbing you?"

 

"YES! I was talking with Somin."

 

"Mwo? Somin? The Somin?"

 

"Yes. Who else?"

 

"I thought you were at Han River, waiting for me."

 

"I was. But accidentally I met Somin here."

 

"What a fate!" Jongsuk laughed in amazement.

 

"So, where the hell are you now? You should be here almost half hour ago!"

 

"Ah yes. I called because I wanted to tell you that I might not been able to come. I-"

 

"Yeah! That's ok. Bye now." Before waiting for any responses, I cut the line and approached our table. I don’t give a damn he is not coming. As long as I am with Somin. I chuckled to myself.

 

Just when I reached the table, Somin stood up. "Woobin-ssi, I just remember. Tomorrow I have photo shoot for Elle. I shall be going now."

 

"But-"

 

"Lee Jongsuk will be here any moment right? I am leaving now." She smiled and bowed deeply.

 

What? What? GOD, CAN’T I AT LEAST FEEL THAT YOU LOVE ME? Please don’t let her leave! "Will I see you again? Here?" I helplessly asked. I realized at the moment, I shouldn’t hold her up.

 

She tilted her head a little and smiled.  "Maybe. Besides, I already told you that the shop and the hot chocolate have become my favorites."

 

Thanks God, there is hope.