Floating Petals (1/3)

Floating Petals

The governor is by no means an unattractive man.

No, he is far from being an unpleasant sight to the eyes. His sharp features make him utterly handsome and charming and his sons are said to be lucky for having inherited the very best of his looks.

And yet Jaejoong can't help but feel uneasy when the governor invites him over to stay at his house as a bride to be taken into his family. The invitation is not addressed to him directly. It's addressed to his father and although he knows of Jaejoong's wish to remain free for the sake of a marriage caused by love, he could not decline the Governor's proposal.

The governor had been there to help their family out of trouble several times and now that the governor is obviously interested in binding himself to someone else so many years after his wife's passing, Kim Youngwoong cannot bring himself to say no to the governor's wish to have his youngest son. It's now his time to repay the governor for his past kindness.

"Jaejoong-"

"I understand. It will be my pleasure and honor to serve as a sign of gratitude towards the governor." Jaejoong says although his slightly wet eyes betray him.

He looks at his father and forces himself to smile through suppressed tears, knowing that his father barely has a choice in this matter although he doesn't want to give Jaejoong away. But Jaejoong will not run away from his duties. He is going to do this for his family.


• ♚ •


His steps are heavy compared to the way he almost glides across the floor during normal days. But this is not a normal day.

This is the day for him to bid goodbye to his family and move into the governor's house where he will be given a chance to get used to his new home and its inhabitants before he would have to bind himself to its owner.

He steps into the foreign building with his parents in front of him and his siblings left and right from him, but instead of being curious about his surrounding, Jaejoong chooses to stare down on the floor instead. He will have the rest of his life to get to know his new home better.

The red chima of his hanbok briefly touches the floor as he moves, but Jaejoong pays it no mind.

They are being led into a large room where the whole family of the governor is awaiting them around a long row of small tables along with several servants standing behind them and Jaejoong tries hard not to pay attention on the rushed whispers he hears the moment his parents step aside to reveal him to strangers' eyes before they all greet the owner of the house with a deep bow.

"My, my." The governor's deep voice rings through the room."What a beauty you are, dear child."

Jaejoong manages to smile despite all and bows once again in gratitude."Your words are too kind, governor. I feel honored to be given the chance of being part of your family."

The governor nods, his own smile kind and gentle."Have a seat next to me, dear. And your family can have a seat too and join us at the table."

Jaejoong feels uneasy as he does as asked of him but moves towards the head of the table without any protest, occupying at the vacant spot to the governor's right once he arrives there. The governor then asks for the food to be served and Jaejoong can't help but notice the effort and money the governor must've put into having several pricy things served to them.

"You look breathtaking in your hanbok." The governor compliments him and Jaejoong smiles as he bows down slightly as far as his seating position allows for him to do so.

"I feel honored to receive such praise from a formidable man like you, governor."

The governor's eyes light up at those words."Such sweet words. It seems to be true that you are your family's sweetest child."

That title is all too familiar to Jaejoong.

The Kim family's sweetest child.

The most delicate petal.

Jaejoong has many titles within this town, but those two are the most well-known. He doesn't mind having them, but sometimes people tend to underestimate the strong-willed and stubborn side inside of him because of them. He may not be as fierce as his oldest brother Heechul or as strong-willed as his oldest sister Jihyo, but he is by far not as delicate and sweet as his Jiyeon noona truly is behind her tough facade either.

But him being the youngest amongst his siblings and possessing a rather sweet and calming aura by nature tends to make people who do not know the core of his personality think of him as a delicate petal floating along the strong river carrying it.

"Please have a nice meal, this day must be celebrated thoroughly." The governor says as he gestures for everyone to have more of the food before his eyes are back on Jaejoong."I heard that you are quite interested in cooking."

This time around, Jaejoong's smile is genuine as he nods."Yes, I love to prepare meals for everyone around me."

"May I know why?"

"I love it to make them happy with what I cook." Jaejoong's eyes almost seem as if they are shining as he speaks."When people eat what I have prepared with care and enjoy it, that's the moment that makes me the most happy."

A soft laughter escapes from the woman sitting beside Jaejoong and causes him to look down in embarrassment.

"Please do not misunderstand me. I just find you utterly endearing." She speaks upon noticing Jaejoong's uneasiness and when he looks up to face her, he could see nothing but sincerity in her gaze.

"I'm Taehee, Jung Jihoon's wife." She introduces herself."It's a pleasure to meet you, Jaejoong ssi."

"The pleasure is all mine." He replies timidly before looking at the governor who is smiling at him adoringly.

"Taehee is right. You are very endearing."

The governor is a kind man and seems to be interested in him a lot considering that he even bothered to do some research on Jaejoong's interests. Jaejoong enjoys cooking with his sisters and mother just as much as he enjoys yielding his sword during trainings alongside his brother and father, but barely anyone cares enough about what he loves to do when he's not studying when they approach him in hopes to court him successfully.

A short sound of someone clearing his throat then catches Jaejoong's attention as he looks at the man sitting right across from him and the governor easily notices his interest.

"This is Yunho, my second oldest. Now that Jihoon is away to take care of some business out of town, he is my right hand man and responsible for majority of what happens in this household when I am not there." The governor then looks at his son."Yunho, introduce yourself."

The man places his bowl aside before giving Jaejoong a soft bow of his head to which Jaejoong responds with one of his own."I'm Jung Yunho. Pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine." Jaejoong says despite not really confident about whether he actually means what he says.

The other is looking at him with the minimal amount of interest and right after he hears Jaejoong's reply, he does nothing but concentrate on the food in front of him. It almost seems as if Jaejoong is disturbing his eating time. And the thought makes Jaejoong feel more than uneasy.

"Please forgive my son, he is not a man of many words." The governor says, the smile on his lips clearly displaying amusement as he takes a short glance at his son who merely continues to eat.

"Don't worry, Sir. There is nothing to forgive." Jaejoong replies.

For the rest of the feast, the governor engages him in vivid conversations and manages to introduce the rest of his family to Jaejoong on occasion. Jaejoong enjoys his company more than he thought he would, but that doesn't manage to make him feel any less devastated inside when the dinner ends and announces his family's leave.

"Take care of yourself well." His mother speaks, her hands cradling his face before she leans in to press a soft kiss onto his forehead and Jaejoong's heart aches as he realizes that he won't receive this kind of warm gesture from her anymore, not as often as before."And be good to your future husband and the new part of your family. Meet kindness with more kindness."

Jaejoong nods, knowing exactly what she means. Although he does not harbor any feelings or romantic interest for the governor within him, he is determined to be a good wife for him nevertheless.

"We will see each other on the wedding day and also in between and afterwards." Jiyeon promises with a smile.

Jaejoong's gaze then falls on the rest of his siblings as they step closer to pull him and Jiyeon into a hug. He loves to be with his siblings like this, warm and safe, surrounded by their protection. And he knows that he is going to feel lonely without them by his side.

When his siblings let go a few minutes later, Jaejoong is being approached by his father whose eyes are marked by sorrow and guilt to the extent of breaking Jaejoong's heart in two.

"I'm sorry, Jaejoong."

Jaejoong shakes his head and hugs his father."Please do not apologize, father. I know that you are only trying to do what's best for our family. I understand. And I still love you as I did before."

He doesn't want his father to feel bad for anything and he will learn to cope with the aftermath of his father's decision.

"The governor is a kind and noble man. He will take care of you well."

Jaejoong isn't sure who his father is trying to convince with those words, Jaejoong or himself. But he believes him and trusts in his father's judgment, especially because he shares his father's impression of the governor.

When his family says goodbye to him for one last time on that day, Jaejoong starts to feel loneliness gripping on him. It's a foreign and uncomfortable feeling.

Jaejoong turns around and heads towards his temporary bedroom as his new servant leads the way. The young one is a mere boy and Jaejoong starts to wonder whether the other actually minds serving someone at such a young age.

"Here is your room, Young Master Jaejoong." The servant speaks as he slides the door open to show the room's interior to Jaejoong.

"Thank you, Siwan." Jaejoong smiles and steps inside, his eyes soon catching the sight of many of his personal belongings decorating the new room.

They have been moved from his and Heechul's shared room in the Kim house this morning, along with his clothes.

"Do you wish for me to show you the house, Young Master Jaejoong?"

Jaejoong smiles but shakes his head."Could I have some time for myself first? You can come and pick me up in the afternoon to show me everything."

"Yes, Young Master Jaejoong." Siwan bowed and excused himself as he walks out of the room and slides the door closed from the outside.

Jaejoong sits down with a sigh, his hands gripping onto the silken fabric of his chima tightly as he tries to control his emotions. He wants to be strong for his family but he feels so lonely. There is no sibling to laugh or argue with, no mother to hug and spoil him and no father to encourage him when he is trying to master something new. Maybe he is silly for missing them already, but he can't help it. He is used to having them around all the time and now that they are not there, he feels kind of empty.

'Mother, father. I will be stronger, just give me this one last day to let out my tears.'
 

• ♚ •


"Jaejoong ssi."

Jaejoong opens his eyes upon hearing the faintly familiar voice calling out for him and sits up as he tries to will the sleepiness away.

"Jaejoong ssi."

"Y-Yes? Who is there?"

"It's me, Yunho."

A soft gasp escapes from Jaejoong's lips before he gets up hastily to go and slide the door open, soon revealing himself to Yunho's piercing gaze.

"Yunho ssi." Jaejoong mutters and looks down while his hands fix his clothes subtly.

He doesn't remember how long he had been crying until he ended up falling asleep because he had been too exhausted to keep himself awake. He can still feel how swollen his eyes are because of the tears he shed a while ago and he knows that Yunho can easily see his emotional breakdown's aftermath. His eyes are hurting slightly, so it's hard for him to keep them open which results in him having to blink more often than usual.

"I know that you are awaiting Siwan, but I hope that you won't mind having my company instead." Yunho says, his voice controlled as he speaks."I will show you around the house."

"That would be lovely, thank you for giving me some of your time."

"My father wished for me to do so." Yunho replies curtly, not even seeming to realize how much his words sting when Jaejoong understands what they imply.

But Jaejoong forces himself to smile nevertheless."I see. I apologize."

"Don't apologize for things you are not directly responsible for." Yunho utters before stepping aside so Jaejoong can step out of his room.

Yunho walks ahead for a few steps before he halts to wait for Jaejoong to slide the door closed. His face holds no smile nor annoyance, as if he doesn't really know what to feel about being assigned to do a servant's job when he has much more important tasks to tend to. But he is doing it nevertheless and Jaejoong is grateful for it.

After a few more steps, Yunho starts to speak."The bedrooms of the family are in this part of the house. The room you are currently staying in is a guest room, you will share one room with your husband after the wedding."

"I see." Jaejoong's voice is airy and timid as he replies while his eyes are casted downwards, a movement he regrets when he finds himself crashing into Yunho a few seconds after when the other decides to halt abruptly.

He stumbles backwards but finds himself being stopped by a strong hand around his wrist before it helps him to steady his posture. Yunho stares at him with an expression Jaejoong doesn't quite know how to define before the other let go of him and gestures towards the room they are standing in front of.

"Our library." Yunho says and steps inside with Jaejoong following him suit.

The collection of books filling the room is impressive to say the least and Jaejoong feels himself looking at everything with great interest. He briefly notes the small seating area in the middle of the room before his attention is back on Yunho.

"You are welcomed to come into this room whenever you want. It's free for every member of the family to use." Nothing more is being said before Yunho heads out of the room with Jaejoong rushing to follow his steps.

The rest of their small journey is mostly marked by silence except for some chatting with several family members they encounter on their way through the hallways of the governor's house, but no one wants to hold them back for long and quickly let them go on after a brief exchange of friendly words.

The house is big and there are more rooms than Jaejoong ever saw in a building, but considering that three generations of the Jung family lives here along with their servants, the size of the Jung residence is not all too surprising.

"My father's work room is the only one you are not allowed to enter without permission. The meetings taking place inside of it are strictly private."

Jaejoong takes a short glance at the room Yunho gestures towards as they walk past it before his eyes are back on Yunho."Yes, I understand."

Their feet carry them along the hallway and around two corners before Jaejoong notices the delicious smell which is starting to spread through the house. He takes in the clinking sounds which are very familiar to him and make his eyes shine expectantly when he realizes where Yunho is leading him to.

Jaejoong smiles when he finally gets a glimpse of the cooking area in the house but despite his yearning to explore it further, he doesn't dare to go and risk it to disturb the women working in there.

"Young Master Yunho." One of them calls out, her experience-marked face radiating warmth as she smiles at them."And this must be Young Master Jaejoong."

"J-Just Jaejoong is fine." Jaejoong says, briefly making a mental note to tell Siwan the same later on.

"They can't address you with anything else but 'Young Master'." Yunho says and Jaejoong almost feels like he is being scolded, which results in him sporting a soft pout on his lips for a brief moment.

"I'm sorry." He doesn't even know what exactly he is apologizing for, but he has the feeling that he just has to.

"Oh no, please don't apologize for that, Young Master Jaejoong." The elderly woman speaks before she takes a small basket and carries it towards where Yunho and Jaejoong are, soon presenting its content to them."Please have some."

Jaejoong only stares at the delicious-looking treat in excitement as he takes in how perfect they look, having been formed like flowers. He is truthfully unable to decide which one he should take but before he can make a choice of his own, Yunho is already holding a pink one in front of him.

"Have some. It's great."

Jaejoong takes the offered rice cake with a smile."Thank you."

And when he finally gets to eat, Jaejoong wholeheartedly agrees with what Yunho says. It is truly delicious. The taste reminds him of the times during which he could enjoy his mother's cooking and although the memories filling his mind are leaving a bittersweet trace on his tongue, he manages to smile nevertheless.

"It's delicious, thank you." Jaejoong pauses."They remind me of my mother's."

It's there once again, that knot within his throat which scratches against his voice as he speaks and even before he can try to suppress his tears, he is crying already.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Young Master Jaejoong, it must be hard on you to be away from your mother." The woman in front of him speaks and gets a hold of his now empty hands."Whenever you feel lonely, you can come and join us in the kitchen. I heard from one of my girls that you are quite fond of cooking. She heard you and Master Woo Sung talk about it."

Jaejoong smiles and frees one of his hands to wipe away his tears, pushing the fact of hearing heard someone calling the governor by his name to the back of his mind for now."Thank you, I'd love to come and visit you more often."

He then looks at Yunho who doesn't seem to mind his emotional outburst nor does he seem to judge him for it considering that Jaejoong is indirectly expressing how uncomfortable he feels inside the man's prideful home. Although the other man comes off as slightly gruff, he seems to possess an understanding personality nevertheless behind his mask of harshness.

"Let's go." Yunho doesn't wait for a reply or any sign of recognition from Jaejoong before he walks away and leaves Jaejoong alone to bow to the women inside the kitchen before he hurries after him.

But instead of continuing to walk around inside the house, Yunho is leading him straight out into the garden which is right at the center of the house and Jaejoong can see the door of his room from where he stands.

"Have a seat."

Jaejoong nods before sitting down on one of the large rocks forming a half circle in the middle of the garden. It's obvious that they have been arranged to offer the visitors of the garden something to rest on. But when Jaejoong looks at Yunho almost expectantly, he realizes that the other is obviously not intending on joining him.

And soon, Jaejoong gets to know the reason for it.

"I hope that you won't mind my company." The governor approaches them with a smile before he pats his son's shoulder."Thank you, Yunho. You can go now."

Yunho nods briefly and walks away without taking another glance at Jaejoong who welcomes the governor next to him humbly.

"Did Yunho show you everything?"

"Yes, Sir."

The governor takes a closer look at Jaejoong and his smile falters when he sees the subtle remnants of the tears Jaejoong shed earlier.

"I'm sorry if you are feeling lonely." The governor's voice is gentle and calm as he speaks and it calms Jaejoong's nerves a lot."I hope you will be able to forgive me for taking you away from your family and home. Please believe me when I say that I only had your welfare in mind when I invited you to come and stay with us before the wedding. I just wanted you to get to know everyone and this house better before making things final."

The governor is a wonderful man and Jaejoong finds himself smiling automatically upon learning about the other's touching motives for his doings. What he did was very courteous and although Jaejoong did have bitter feelings about being separated from his family at first, he can't bring himself to be upset about it anymore as of now. The governor only had the best for him in mind and is now giving him time to adjust to everything even before the wedding.

"Can I be honest with you, Sir?"

"I would be upset if you weren't." The governor replies, his lips curving up into a smile.

"I was harboring a minimal amount of ill feelings for your decision to take me from my family so early." Jaejoong gulps."But now I understand why you did it and I hope that you won't be too upset about my past feelings."

"I'm not. I can understand you very well. And I hope that you will be able to settle down soon and put your heart at ease." The older male chuckles."And I hope that Yunho will be able to help you with it. He may seem a little distant, but he is a very good person and his kindness easily surpasses the ones of all of my other children combined. He is only two years older than you and the closest to your age so I hope the two of you will get along well."

Jaejoong nods."Is that why you sent him to show me the house?"

The governor nods."And I also asked him to bring you here afterwards so we can talk. I think it's better for us to talk here where we are alone and don't have anyone around to listen to the things we say."

"Wouldn't your work room be better for it? I heard from Yunho ssi that you use it for meetings."

"Yes, but you are not work. You are a personal matter and deserve better than being trapped inside a small room like that. This is much nicer, isn't it?"

Jaejoong agrees and nods as he looks around, adoring each plant he can get his eyes on.

"I heard that you have been brought up wearing female hanboks, I am fairly curious about why."

"Oh." Jaejoong blushes as he looks at the governor once more."When I was a child, I always inherited my sisters' clothes because they fit me better than my brother's. And as time went by, it turned into normality for me to wear female hanboks. I always received amused glances because of it but no one seemed to mind it in earnest."

"Why would they mind? You look lovely in them."

Jaejoong smiles."Thank you."

His mind is then clouded by question he cannot help but yearn to ask the governor personally although he is rather hesitant in voicing it out. But much to his luck, the governor notices his struggles.

"Is there something you want to say or ask?" His smile widens when Jaejoong looks up at him in surprise."Whatever you have in mind, you can tell me. That's what this conversation is there for."

Lowering his head, Jaejoong folds his hands on his lap."May I know why you specifically asked for my hand in marriage?"

"I am not sure whether you are aware of it, but you are quite popular amongst the people in this town. Not only because of your family, but also because of your beauty and admirable personality. You manage to catch everyone's attention and your future husband is no exception. You are quite intriguing."

"You wanted me because you find me intriguing?" Jaejoong inquires.

The governor chuckles."That is not enough of a good reason for you to marry someone, am I right?"

Jaejoong lowers his head some more, not really knowing how he should reply. And fortunately, he doesn't have to.

"I also wanted you in this family because you are a sweet person, very lovable and kind. I have known you for majority of your life thanks to the relation I have to your father and can't imagine anyone to be more fitting than you."

"I see."

Jaejoong knows that he is supposed to feel honored, but despite the compliments he received just now, he can't quite bring himself to decide whether the governor's reasoning is enough for him or not. To choose someone as one's partner for life just because the other seems fitting is not something Jaejoong would count as a good reason for marriage.

But it's not like he has another choice but go ahead nevertheless.

"Love can bloom through time."

Jaejoong looks at the governor in mild surprise.

"I asked for your hand in marriage with that hope in my heart. Maybe one day, you will be able to love your future husband."

The younger male nods, not in a promise but as a sign of his own hope for the same thing to happen. Maybe not in the near future, but it is not impossible to learn to love or at least cherish someone as your other half as long as there is a basic amount of mutual respect within their relationship.

• ♚ •


Jaejoong smiles, his eyes widening in amazement at the sight of the ocean's surface stretching so far that it seems to go on forever. It's his first time making a trip to the beach and he is planning on enjoying every bit of it.

"It's beautiful, Young Master Jaejoong." Siwan whispers and the awestruck look in his eyes warms Jaejoong's heart.

Siwan never spent any days outside of the Jung house before. Other servants usually receive the permission to visit their families during their free time, but with his parents deceased and other relatives living way too far away, Siwan doesn't have anywhere else to go to, so Jaejoong is glad that Siwan can be here with him and enjoy the breathtaking sight.

"It is." Jaejoong agrees and he catches the family's patriarch resting not far away from them with a soft smile on his lips as he watches the other family members playing around with the exception of Yunho who prefers to wander off on his own until he settles down on a large rock darting out of the water.

It's now his third day living with the Jung family and Yunho is still one big mystery to Jaejoong. Yunho's behavior is always a steady change from hot to cold and back and he can't quite get a grasp on the depths of the other's personality. Maybe it's the mystery surrounding Yunho and his own yearning to solve said mystery that pulls him in so much, awakening a burning interest within him that he knows should be directed at his future husband instead. Whatever it is, Jaejoong is unable to free himself from it.

Jaejoong feels guilty at some point although the governor did encourage him to try getting closer to Yunho and find a friend in him.

He should be using the time he has to get to know the governor better instead of bothering himself with questions about one of the governor's sons although it's hard not to be intrigued by Yunho considering that he is the only one from the governor's family Jaejoong was unable to get closer to until now. It's like Yunho is putting up a wall between the two of them and Jaejoong is starting to wonder whether it's because of Jaejoong's new position by the side of the young man's father.

Does he detest him for taking his mother's spot?

The suspicion – albeit not confirmed – is hurtful.

"What troubles you?"

Jaejoong looks up abruptly upon hearing the governor's voice ringing so close to his ears, soon spotting the older man standing right next to him as he looks at his son.

"Pardon me?"

"You seemed to be plagued by bothersome thoughts. What troubles you?"

"Oh." Jaejoong gulps as realization hits him."I was just wondering about something."

"Care to tell me about it?"

Jaejoong looks at the other and finds himself relaxing at the gentle gaze and smile he receives, making it so much easier for Jaejoong to open up to him.

Jaejoong's eyes are soon on Siwan."You are dismissed for now, take your time and enjoy yourself."

Siwan utters a soft 'Yes' before bowing and excusing himself, leaving Jaejoong and the governor alone.

"I am not sure how to address this matter without coming off as too straightforward."

"You should know by now that I appreciate your straightforwardness." The governor chuckles."You are so honest and yet always soft-spoken, never coming off as too grass. I really like that about you."

"You are too kind with your words." Jaejoong lowers his gaze, briefly noticing the beauty of the sand he stands on."If I may allow myself to ask you. Did any of your children express discomfort upon getting to know about the nearing wedding?"

The governor tilts his head slightly."Who put that bothersome question into your heart, dear?"

Jaejoong hesitates, struggling to find an answer which would not hint at Yunho and spare the young man possible trouble with his father. He bites onto his bottom lip and chides himself for not being able to come up with anything better as he speaks.

"Curiosity."

The older man smiles in amusement and Jaejoong knows that the other is aware of his lie, but he obviously chooses to spare Jaejoong the embarrassment of a confrontation as he nods."I see. Well, let me assure you that the wedding is highly welcomed by every member of my family."

"I see." Is everything Jaejoong can say and he is unable to control his gaze as it wanders to Yunho."I'm glad."

The governor doesn't say as he follows Jaejoong's gaze and soon finds himself being stared at by his son who is looking at him almost questioningly.

Now he knows who awakened the uneasiness within Jaejoong.

'This boy.' The governor thinks and barely suppresses a sigh before he motions for Yunho to come over and although his second oldest does not seem all too fond of his request, he follows it nevertheless.

"Yes, father?"

"Why don't you let Jaejoong join you? I think he would enjoy your company."

Jaejoong doesn't dare to meet Yunho's gaze when the other looks at him and averts his attention on his intertwined hands. It's obvious that Yunho is not pleased about his father's wish and Jaejoong feels uneasy at the thought of upsetting Yunho with his presence.

"Yes, father." Yunho speaks and causes Jaejoong to take a short glance at him."Please follow me, Jaejoong ssi."

"Yes." Jaejoong excuses himself from the governor's presence before turning around to follow Yunho, smiling to himself after a while when he notices that his own feet fit perfectly into the big frame of the other's footprints.

It's childish and silly, but it amuses Jaejoong to watch himself landing his feet directly on top of Yunho's footprints every time he moves forward. He is so lost in what he does that he is unable to notice Yunho's lack of movement until he walks right into the other, forcing Yunho to get a hold of him as he stumbles backwards.

It's not the first time that this happened.

"I-I apologize."

"You don't have to." And for the first time, Jaejoong is able to catch a glimpse of Yunho's boyish grin."You were distracted, I can understand."

He is charming this way, his face void of harshness.

A soft hue of red covers Jaejoong's cheeks as he looks away in embarrassment, not daring to meet Yunho's eyes even when the other leads him towards the large rock he had been sitting on earlier, his left hand embracing Jaejoong's right one loosely as he helps him to climb on top of it. Yunho also assists him in sitting down before removing his hand, leaving Jaejoong to dwell in the lingering warmth of the other's touch.

They sit next to each other in silence, no words being exchanged between them simply because words are not necessary as they stare at the endless display of water in front of them. The wind is harsh and unrelenting and yet refreshing.

Jaejoong can feel the his hair being moved, striking his face from time to time until he decides to brush them off. He looks to the side and unintentionally catches a glimpse of the man sitting next to him. He freezes to appreciate the peaceful expression resting on Yunho's face, everything seeming so calm and warm out of a sudden.

However, when Yunho turns around to look at him, Jaejoong finds himself avoiding the other's eyes, his confidence leaving him once more. He feels embarrassed to say the least, almost as if he had been caught doing something forbidden and inappropriate.

Not really knowing whether it's because of the coldness of the wind suddenly catching up on him or because of Yunho's stare, Jaejoong shivers. It's only a light shudder, but Yunho seems to notice it nevertheless.

"Are you cold?"

"Just a little." Jaejoong admits, his arms coming up to embrace himself loosely.

"We should go down."

"N-No." Jaejoong protests softly and has Yunho looking at him questioningly."I mean, if you don't mind, I would like to stay here a little longer."

Yunho eyes him in silence, not saying anything even when he nods in agreement to Jaejoong's request. His gaze does not linger on him for long, but Jaejoong doesn't mind. The way Yunho looks at him always makes him nervous, almost as if he fears to be judged by those impressive pair of almond-shaped eyes.

• ♚ •


"How is it to live here?" Jihyo asks once they have settled down on the rocks in the garden, her voice hushed as if not wanting to draw any unnecessary attention from whoever could be nearby.

"I like it here." Jaejoong smiles."I did feel lonely at first, but this family welcomed me warmly and I feel comfortable with almost everyone in the house."

"Almost?"

Jaejoong bites onto his bottom lip, silently chiding himself for letting that small word leave his lips. Of course his sister would notice it.

"So there is someone you are feeling uncomfortable around?"

"That's not it. Not really." Jaejoong sighs in defeat when he sees the piercing gaze from his sister."It's just...the governor's second oldest son. Yunho ssi, he...I don't know what to make of him, noona. He seems so unreachable and cold and yet, he is very courteous and treats me with great respect. He is puzzling and I can't seem to solve the mystery that he is."

"I see." Jihyo's lips curve up into a smile."Maybe he just needs some time to warm up to you. As long as he treats you well, I'm content. And you shouldn't worry too much about it either."

Jaejoong nods timidly.

"But how is the governor? Is he treating you well?"

"He treats me with nothing but respect and gentleness. We would sometimes sit here and have a talk or have some tea together. I enjoy his company." He doesn't have to lie or try to hide anything because the governor is treasuring him like a delicate flower, not pushing him or forcing him to do anything.

He loves it when Jaejoong talks to him freely, as if they have been married for years already and don't have to hide any thoughts from each other anymore.

There is happiness mixed with a small amount of sympathy in Jihyo's eyes as she smiles at him."That's good. But do you think that you will be able to give him your heart one day?"

Jaejoong lowers his head."I'm not sure."

As much as he enjoys the governor's company, he doesn't love him and he is truthfully not sure whether he will ever be able to. He had been hoping for his feelings to change over time and make the walk along the path to marriage easier for him, but nothing has changed since he talked about that possibility with the governor when he first entered this house.

But maybe they just need more time.

"I hope you will." Jihyo admits and Jaejoong knows why.

To fall in love with the man he is forced to marry would make everything so much more bearable.

"Me too." Comes Jaejoong's soft reply.

Neither of the siblings notices the man standing not far away from them, his tall form hidden from their eyes. He had discontinued his trip along the hallway open to the view from the garden a few minutes ago upon having heard his name to listen to their conversation.

A glum look of regret lies on his face.'I'm sorry.'

• ♚ •


"You need to put more effort into getting to know Jaejoong."

"Father-"

"I know that it's not easy for you, but the wedding is to take place soon and I would prefer to have Jaejoong feel completely comfortable in your presence by then." The governor's face is clouded by a deep frown and Yunho knows better than to go against his request."He is a wonderful boy, Yunho. Don't make him feel disliked."

"That was never my intention." Yunho retorts softly.

"I know." The governor replies before taking another sip from his tea."So please put his heart at ease and treat him the way he deserves."

Yunho nods."Yes, father."

• ♚ •


It's a rainy day and instead of hiding himself away in the safety and warmth of his bedroom, Jaejoong is sitting by one of the pillars in the hallway in front of it, his attention fully on the way the raindrops pour down on the garden. It's a warm day so the chilliness coming along with the rain is rather welcoming.

"Young Master Jaejoong, your tea."

Jaejoong looks to the left and smiles as Siwan places the tray with a teapot and a cup next to him, soon serving him some of the hot liquid the teapot holds. He smiles and briefly notices the fleeting glance Siwan takes at the book in his hands.

"It's a present from my brother." Jaejoong says, his eyes on the book as he opens it with a smile."It's filled with beautiful poems. I hope you won't mind me sharing some of them with you."

"O-Of course not." Siwan stutters as he sits back after placing the teapot back onto the tray, soon folding his hands on his lap."I would feel honored."

And so, Jaejoong starts to read with the even sound of rain pouring down in the background while Siwan listens, his attention fully on his Young Master as he takes in the other's words with childlike eagerness.

Not far away from them, a man leans against the wall and watches them in silence, his lips curved up into a smile of adoration.

When the young servant spots him from afar, Yunho signals for him to keep silent and Siwan obliges, his eyes soon back on Jaejoong who is way too concentrated on reading to notice what is going on. Much to Yunho's pleasure as he continues to listen to Jaejoong, finding his voice as beautiful as the poem itself.

Three poems later, when Jaejoong takes a break to warm his throat with delicious tea, Yunho finally approaches him and Siwan. The young servant immediately recognizes his presence and bows, causing Jaejoong to look over his shoulder where his surprise-filled eyes meet Yunho's.

"May I join you?"

"I would be honored." Jaejoong's voice is airy as he speaks, almost shy.

Yunho lowers himself on the wooden floor and takes his position by Jaejoong's side.

"Would you like to have some tea, Young Master Yunh0?" Siwan asks.

But Yunho declines with a shake of his head, his eyes soon on Jaejoong again."Could I have a moment with you alone?"

Surprise returns to Jaejoong's face but he replies with a soft 'Yes' and looks at Siwan to dismiss the other with a nod nevertheless. The young servant then excuses himself before getting up to walk away, leaving Yunho and Jaejoong alone.

"You gifted him with something really precious, are you aware of it?" Yunho inquires and watches how Jaejoong places his cup of tea back down onto the tray.

Jaejoong's doesn't need for Yunho to elaborate what he means. He knows exactly what Yunho is talking about.

"Sharing the beauty of written words he himself is unable to read is the least I can do for him." Jaejoong replies, his gaze casted downwards in mild sadness."I wish I could do more."

Jaejoong's wish to do something good for others without expecting anything in return is nothing but noble.

People from Siwan's social status are not allowed to learn how to write and read, so reading a book by himself is out of question. Naturally, Jaejoong must be aware of it and had chosen the easy way out by reading the poems aloud, initiating everything on his own because Siwan would never request anything from him.

"You are..." Yunho halts when the other looks at him expectantly."Admirable."

There are so many other words Yunho wants to use to describe Jaejoong, but considering their current situation, he deems most of them as rather inappropriate.

"Thank you." Jaejoong accepts the compliment timidly.

Yunho's nice words make him happy. More happy than the compliments of the other members of the Jung family can ever make him, because for some odd reason, Jaejoong yearns for Yunho's approval and acceptance the most. The thin wall Yunho had put between them only managed to make Jaejoong yearn to get closer to him.

He doesn't want anything to stand in between him and the new part of his family and whatever it is that makes Yunho keep an emotional distance to him, Jaejoong hopes to make it disappear soon.

Yunho averts his gaze away from Jaejoong and catches the sight of rain pouring down on the plant not far away from them, washing away every stain of dirt."The wedding is in seven days from now. How are you feeling?"

"I am...nervous."

"That's understandable." Yunho mutters, momentary silence filling the air before he continues to speak."If you were given a choice, would you end this all and return to your family?"

The question catches Jaejoong off-guard and causes him to stare at Yunho in shock, his mind unable to come up with a coherent answer as he gapes at the taller man.

And Yunho must've realized that Jaejoong is unable to reply as he takes it upon himself to break the silence once again, his eyes still not back on Jaejoong."That's alright. I understand."

His silence says more than Jaejoong wants Yunho to know, but he is glad that Yunho does not seem to be upset at him because of it. To be thought of negatively by Yunho is something Jaejoong dreads. He is not sure why the other man's opinion is so important to him, but it simply is.

He had been offered a great opportunity in getting to know the governor better during the past few days and he had been delighted to discover how free he could talk in the governor's presence and yet Jaejoong is still unable to feel himself growing closer to the other man emotionally. Maybe he is allowing himself to be so carefree with his wording when he is talking to the governor because he simply doesn't care what the other is thinking about him. He can't quite define the kind of bond they have as of now, but he knows that he is not anywhere near interested in the governor as a man. A desirable conversation partner, yes, but not as a man.

How will he be able to make himself marry the governor under these unchanging circumstances?

A sudden realization strikes him as he stares at Yunho.

He does not care about what the governor thinks of him. But with Yunho...

Jaejoong looks away when he registers Yunho's movement, effectively avoiding the other's eyes when Yunho turns his head to stare at him.

He is interpreting too much into his own behavior, he is sure of it.

"Is something wrong?"

Jaejoong replies with a subtle shake of his head."No. I'm fine."

"I see." Yunho mutters."Would you mind sharing the poems with me?"

The request is so sudden and surprising that Jaejoong is unable to reply right away and all he does in the first few seconds is stare at Yunho, somehow sure that he is making himself look utterly silly by gaping at him that way once again. Yunho's words always have a strangely strong effect on him.

“No, I wouldn't mind at all.”

 

-----------------
comments are gold

part two will hopefully follow soon


a/n: chima is the 'skirt' of a hanbok
a/n1: Jiyeon is Gummy's real name