The Beginning

Vestige
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joseon, September  15, 1939

Autumn had arrived in Seoul. The cold air danced its way across the streets as people tightly clung onto their thin cotton jackets. The sun had taken it's slumber as it was replaced by the dull gray sky.  You could say it was just another ordinary day in Seoul if not for the frightening black military trucks that could be seen on every block. Japanese officers were everywhere; like the rising sun. They took note of every detail; even one mistake could lead to deportation or arrest. Although people took on their normal day routine, it was evident the atmosphere had changed. Just last year, the streets were noisy and bustling as everyone was preparing for the midsummer autumn festival. What was gone were the colorful banners and delicious aroma of food. They were replaced by the tense and unsettling whispers as people rushed to get to their homes to enjoy a quiet and meager meal.

A young woman watched with curiosity and shock at how her beloved Joseon had changed.  It was obviously very different from what was engraved in her memory and how she imagined it to be.  Her delicate eyebrows furrowed as her large doll like eyes struggled to find her destination. "What horrible directions." she murmured as she continued to look confusingly at her surroundings. She sighed as she decided it was best to ask for directions. She spotted a group of high school girls and began to make her way towards them. However, a hand roughly grabbed her arm before she was able to reach them. Alarmed, she quickly turned around the face the perpetrator, but was met with a pair of sharp brown eyes. The owner of those eyes softened his gaze as soon as he saw that Yoona was genuinely frightened. He loosened his grip on her arm, but his eyes never left hers. He was completely taken back by her compelling beauty. There was not a single flaw on her porcelain like face and her black hair gently flowed; ending in loose curls down her back. Her lips were thin and the color of cherry blossoms in spring. Her appearance was absolutely breathtaking, but the man was strangely enchanted to her eyes. They were doe like and very big; almost as if you were able to swim in them. I could awe in her beauty for a millennium, he thought until he suddenly realized he was staring at a stranger. He smiled in embarrassment and felt her slightly ease. "Hello, I apologize for being impolite, but are you, by chance, I'm Yoona?" he awkwardly asked. "Y-yes I am" the woman spoke hesitantly. "How do you know my name?" she asked, still alarmed. Sehun gently smiled at her, knowing she would ask that and leaned towards her ear. "Team 7?" he whispered. Yoona gasped at his words. He must be on in the mission. He has to be another member of the team, but what if he's not? What if he's the enemy? I should ask for his name, then I'll really know if I can trust him or not, she thought. "Then what is your name?" she asked. "Oh Sehun.". Ah, he's the doctor, Yoona smiled, relieved. "I was on my way to the library when I saw you standing there. It looked like you needed some assistance." Sehun said sheepishly. "Yes, Seoul has changed a lot the last time I saw it." Yoona nodded.  Silence overcame the light mood as the two began to walk. She became anxious when she heard murmurs and saw that there were many pairs of eyes on them. Unsure what the reason behind this was, she secretly gazed at Sehun and found the answer. She had to admit Oh Sehun was very attractive. For one, he was tall, lean and had broad shoulders. His face was also flawless and seemed as though it was sculptured perfectly. His prominent jaw line and sharp eyebrows also made him stand out. They must think it's strange to see that I'm casually walking beside him. This can make us look suspicious. It was only going to be a matter of time before the police were going to see and notice that sometime was off between the two.  Yoona quickly thought of an idea and grabbed Sehun's hand and entwined their fingers. Sehun, in response froze and looked at the latter with confusion. "They're people watching us because we look awkward.. If we hold hands, they'll think we're just a couple." Yoona breathed in his ear.  Sehun automatically realized their situation and nodded violently. He felt his cheeks redden and his heart beat rise as he felt Yoona's warm hands against his cold ones. "We're almost there. It's just across that building." Sehun coughed as he pointed towards at a government building.

Suddenly, they were interrupted by another voice. "Halt!". Yoona and Sehun froze and tightened their grip on each other. "Where are you two going?". It was a Japanese officer. Sehun felt beads of sweat forming on his forehead. Is this going to be it? Caught before even starting a mission? How pathetic. "We're going to Kyoto Grand Hotel" Yoona replied calmly in Japanese, interrupting  Sehun's thoughts. "I saw that many people were looking at you two. Can I see your papers?" the officer asked, surprised by Yoona's Japanese. Yoona lightly nodded before reaching into her black purse to grab two identification papers. Sehun was amazed at Yoona's preparedness and acting. He silently looked on as she passed them to the officer. How did she know this would happen? She even had my papers? How? She was in Japan until yesterday. There was no way she could've known about the plan in full detail, unless she was given information earlier. "You're the daughter of the Kunimitsu family?", the officer asked, appalled. "Yes. I'm visiting Joseon with my fiancée right now." Yoona giggled as she smiled at Sehun. "I'm very sorry about this Miss. Kunimitsu. I will personally you to the hotel.". The officer gestured the two to follow, and as they made their way to the luxurious hotel. "Yoona..." Sehun whispered. "I know. Change of plans. I knew this was going to happen" Yoona replied curtly. Sehun could only sigh and follow. "How are your father and mother doing?", the officer suddenly asked, abruptly ending the conversation.  "They're dead." Yoona replied with a pained expression. "I-I'm sorry." the officer quickly replied. "No, it's fine. My brother and I are coping fine anyways.". "I see. Well I wish you the best in the future." the officer replied, taking off his hat to reveal his face. Both Yoona and Sehun felt as though they've seen him somewhere before. His raven eyes and thin lips were all too familiar. "Donghae hyung?" Sehun asked. The man smiled as he shook the younger man's free hand. "Why the sudden change of plans?" Yoona questioned. "I'll explain as in the hotel room." Donghae answered as he put a finger to Yoona's lips, silencing her from further questions.

As soon as they reached the hotel room and Donghae locked the door, he was bombarded with questions. "I know, I'm sorry for the false call but we had to change plans." Donghae explained. "They were on to us- the Japanese. Someone must have informed them." he continued. "Are the rest okay?" Yoona worriedly asked. "Yes, they're all fine. Two are in the room below us and the other hasn't arrived yet." Donghae replied, combing his hand through his hair. "Then what's the plan?" Sehun asked. He was anxious. This was not what he was expecting. "Tomorrow, we will all leave for Be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter