Namjoo

I never told you I love you

{ I'm waiting for you, dumb head. }

 

 

“Namjoo-yah, what do you think Tae is doing?”

 

There were days when Namjoo seriously considers the fact that maybe it’s not her Jimin likes, maybe it’s Taehyung, her twin, because sometimes Jimin is the satellite to Planet Taehyung. Well of course it’s not 100% established that Jimin likes her, but Namjoo is… was… is, quite sure of it. About 80% sure. Or maybe 65%. Small different.

 

Jimin notices Namjoo’s lack of response and he glances up from his notes – that he had been diligently highlighted before so now he’s just reviewing. He quickly looks back down with red decorating his cheeks when his eyes meet Namjoo’s. Really, Namjoo is 70% sure.

 

“S-Should we, should we text him? I wonder, if he’s okay…,” Jimin continues, eyes still fixed on the rows of mumble jumble physic that honestly Namjoo cares 0%. True, she takes Jimin here to the café she just discovered to ‘study’, but what she really mean is—

 

“Date!” Namjoo shouts, “Taehyung is in a DATE! D-A-T-E! Of course he’s okay, why won’t he be okay, he’s with Sujeong right now, in a DATE! Probably trying to get into her pants now.” Namjoo wants to stab the table with the fork in her hand, but being an educated young girl she is, she stabs the cake instead.

 

Jimin flushes deeper hearing her last sentence and mutters some incoherent words.

 

“… Ugh!” suddenly Namjoo coughs up, the big piece of cake she stabs earlier takes revenge by stuck in .


“Huh? Namjoo-yah, are you alright? Here, drink this!” Jimin hands her a glass of water while gently pats her back, concern paints his face. He waits until Namjoo can breathe properly before taking the glass away from her. “Be careful, Joo, eat slowly, okay?”

 

Namjoo looks at her best friend with glassy eyes, after-effect of the incessant coughing she just had.

 

Jimin smiles. Namjoo falls. Deeper.

 

They met him in the kindergarten, timid and meek, fidgeting in his chair in the corner of the classroom, while the twins are bold and mischievous and partners in crime. They said hi to the lonely little boy and told him to get a toy truck from the toy box. They stick together ever since.

 

Jimin always says they’re his first friends no matter how many times Taehyung and Namjoo tell him they just wanted a lackey. 

 

Sometimes Namjoo is sorry toward Jimin, because Taehyung is a reckless brat and she is a spoiled princess and Jimin is an angel, yet he often gets caught in a trouble he doesn’t create. But Jimin stays with them, cleans up after their mess, and genuinely likes them the troublemakers even though it’s better for him if he stops hanging out with them.

 

It’s probably against all odds if Namjoo doesn’t end up liking him.

 

“Ask her out already, JYP!” suddenly she hears someone yells. It’s one of the performers in the café, and the yell appears to be directed to the guy in front of the cashier, who’s blushing hard. The barista is in the same condition with him.

 

“What happened?” Jimin asks, stretching his neck curiously.

 

“I think that guy just asked the barista-unnie out,” Namjoo comments. “Woah, daebak. It’s so cute. It’s like a drama! Ah, so envious.”

 

Jimin says nothing, taking a secretive glance to Namjoo – which Namjoo catches, of course. She sighs inwardly, about 85% sure now. Yes she can confess first, but if she does that, there’s a huge probability that Jimin will say yes just because he pities her. She doesn’t want that. Jimin has to be the one who confesses first.

 

They continue study in silent, Namjoo loses the interest to chat and, playing with her ponytail and Jimin seems to notice her mood, glancing at her awkwardly every now and then. Their concentration breaks when a girl stomps near their table, and they automatically look at her direction, where she goes to the stage.

 

“They allow customers to sing?” Jimin wonders out loud when they see the performers let the girl takes the microphone.

 

“Should we, too?” Namjoo says back, and Jimin splutters a lot of, “No!”

 

But the girl is not singing. Instead, she basically screams, “Yah you heartless man Kim Hanbin! How could you say we should end this so carelessly?!”

 

Namjoo’s mouth makes a big ‘O’ when she hears the girl’s outburst, and she quickly glances over her shoulder. She nudges Jimin, pointing to the table behind them, where a boy sits alone with a shocked expression. He seems to be the Kim Hanbin the girl addresses.

 

“This café is totally daebak! We have to come back again!” As she says that, Namjoo takes out her phone to record the girl on the stage.

 

“Namjoo-yah, don’t do that!” Jimin nudges her back, trying to stop her from recording the whole scene.

 

“Ssshh, Taehyung will love this!”

 

At the mention of Taehyung’s name, Jimin silences, and Namjoo rolls her eyes. Okay, maybe she’s back at 80%. God damn.

 

The outburst ends up with a confession, and then Kim Hanbin runs to the stage, hugging his crying girlfriend. People clap around them, some even wolf-whistle, and the barista comes to the stage, saying something to the couple before guiding them to the back room.

 

The performer regains her microphone. “Wow, that is…,” she glances at her partner. “I’m speechless, but is there anyone else here wants to confess to their significant other right now?”

 

Namjoo not so accidently kicks Jimin’s leg under the table, but the boy doesn’t catch her ‘subtle’ signal, instead, “Ah, do I sit too close? Sorry, I’ll move.”

 

Namjoo ends up stabbing Jimin’s cake too.

 

“Hey, hello, sorry to bother you,” an unfamiliar voice says, and the two teenagers look up to Kim Hanbin. He looks sheepish while trying to look at Namjoo.  “Earlier, um, you record… my girlfriend…”

 

“We’re sorry! We’ll erase it right away!” Jimin says before Kim Hanbin can finish.

 

“What? You haven’t done it right?!” Kim Hanbin panics, and Namjoo shakes her head. “Oh thank God, I mean, umm… Can you… I—Can you share it with me?”

 

“Uh? Yeah… Of course…” Namjoo takes out her phone and sends the video to Kim Hanbin, whose face almost splits in half by the way he’s grinning ear to ear. “Is it okay… if I keep the video too? I want to show it to my brother. I’ll erase it after!”

 

“My girlfriend probably won’t like it,” Kim Hanbin says, but he’s still grinning. “But I’m thankful you recorded this. Just, don’t spread it?”

 

Jimin nods and beats Namjoo in answering. “We promise!”

 

“Thanks,” he laughs. “Sorry for bothering, go back to your date!”

 

“I-It’s n-not a d-date!”Jimin stammers, but Kim Hanbin doesn’t hear him as he already left. Still he says, “It’s really not!”

 

“Wow, do you hate being in a date with me that much?” Namjoo mutters.

 

“W-What? What did…?” it’s unclear whether Jimin really didn’t hear her in the first place or not. When Namjoo doesn’t answer, Jimin tries to steer away from the awkward atmosphere by saying, “... It’s…, ah! S-Should we send the video to Tae n-now?”

 

“… Tae, Tae, Tae, Taehyung this, Taehyung that, do you like Taehyung?” finally Namjoo snaps.

 

Her childhood friend appears to be confused. “Of… course…? Taehyung is my best friend.”

 

“Then, me? What about me? What am I to you?”  

 

“Y-You?” Jimin looks nervous. “You’re… my… girl…” Namjoo’s breathe hitches. “… You’re my girl… best friend? Taehyung…  is my boy best friend?” Jimin looks like he’s hoping he answered Namjoo’s question right.

 

But even though best friend is nice, it’s not the answer Namjoo wants to hear. She speaks before she can stop herself, “Can’t you erase the best, and let me be your girlfriend instead?”

 

“W-W-What?!”

 

“… Forget it.” Namjoo stands up, shoving her books carelessly into her bag, storming out from the building.

 

“W-Wait, Namjoo-yah!” Jimin runs after her, and he catches her not too far from the café. “Namjoo-yah, please wait!” Like in a drama, Jimin grabs Namjoo’s arm and spins her around. “What you said… You… Do you mean it?”

 

Like in a drama, instead of answering, Namjoo decides to pull Jimin closer by his coat, and she slams their lips together—

 

“Aaw!” Namjoo steps back immediately, fingers reaching out to . Kim Namjoo, 17, finds out that slamming one mouth to another is painful, especially if you miss the target and it’s more like teeth-to-teeth instead of lips-to-lips. “Sorry,” she winces. “I was stupid…”

 

But the look on Jimin’s face says anything but she’s stupid. He looks in daze.

 

“You just… You just kissed me,” he says, dumbfounded, and Namjoo wants to argue that that’s not a kiss, it’s Namjoo hitting Jimin’s mouth with her own, but Jimin doesn’t look mind. “Can I… Can we do that again?” Jimin takes a step forward, eyes blinking slowly.

 

It’s Namjo’s turn to stammer. “I-I guess, b-but, here?”

 

Jimin seems to be suddenly deaf, as he leans down closer and apparently he has a better aim than Namjoo because his lips land perfectly on Namjoo’s, and he presses softly on it.

 

Namjoo is 195% sure of Jimin’s feelings to her now as they’re kissing on the road at the end of February.

 

A couple seconds later Jimin pulls back, and his smile is so wide and radiant, as if he just wins a lottery. “We kissed,” he announces, which is really unnecessary since Namjoo was a part of the activity earlier. But then suddenly Jimin’s smile disappears. “We kissed! Oh my God Taehyung is going to kill me! What if Taehyung hates me now?!”

 

Namjoo rolls her eyes.

 

It’s probably only 100%, but well, yeah, Namjoo is fine with 100%.

 

 

A/N: aaand two couples left!

Some readers mention Namjoo/Namjoon but I don't ship them at all >.<

Meanwhile, I can imagine Namjoo bullies Jimin but Jimin still spoils his princess if they're in a relationship.

Thank you for reading!  ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ