Death is Just the Beginning

FANGirls

“! , , ! You seriously ed up this time bro!” Jackson paced back and forth across the bunker, his hands gripping his hair tightly. From the way he was biting his lip I could tell he was trying not to cry, I clenched my fists tighter and said nothing.

“How could you let this happen?” Jr. stared at me incredulously, out of all the brothers I always felt closest with him. I couldn’t remember a time when we weren’t all together, even before we joined JYP and the brotherhood. We’d all grown up with one another on the streets, fighting for survival and stealing what we could to get by. Yugyeom was always the calmest of us, never losing his temper or doing anything stupid. He kept the rest of us in line, and we always made fun of him for it. But now…

“JB!? Are you even listening to me!?” Jr. screamed, grabbing my shoulders tightly and shaking me back to reality. “Yugyeom is dead! On your watch! How the hell could you let that happen!?” I looked up into Jr.’s fierce eyes, my fists trembling in barely contained rage.

“How could I? How could I!? If it weren’t for you punks holding me back I would have ripped that hunter bastard’s head off! If Youngjae hadn’t showed up and pulled me out of there we could have dragged his back and tortured him! Made him pay for what he did to Yugi!!” Now Jr.’s hands were pushing back against me, restraining me. As I started losing control, my mind flashed to last night.

            Yugyeom and I were walking through the graveyard where manager said the newest recruit was supposed to be. We spent the next thirty minutes digging up the new boy and dragging his coffin out. He had already turned and was freaking out by the time we got him out the dug him up. Yugyeom calmly explained to him what was going on, “You died little brother, but since you were born with vampire blood in your veins, death is just the beginning. Things are gonna feel different for you, but we can help.” As Yugi consoled the new vampire, I looked around, a bad feeling beginning to spread through my stomach.

“Something’s wrong Yugi, you should get him out of here.” I grabbed the confused boy’s arm, hoisting him out of the coffin and onto his feet in one pull. Turning to Yugyeom I let go of the boys arm and starting moving the coffin back towards the hole, “Take him to the passageway, I’ll clean this up and be right behind you.” He nodded, putting his arm around the boy’s shoulders and leading him swiftly away.

Before I’d even picked up the shovel, the sound of voices behind me caught my attention. With no time to spare I jumped into the air, landing halfway up a tree 30 yards away. Moments later, two shapes strolled up to the newly vacant grave. One was taller, bulky, obviously a male, and a formidable one from the look of his silhouette. The second was much shorter, with a slim build and long legs compared to their height. Where the first person was all muscles, this second one was all soft curves, a girl. I focused my hearing in their direction, catching the tail end of their conversation.

“…an empty!” The man said in a deep serious voice. ‘!’, I thought to myself, ‘They must be hunters.’ “Great.” The girl said pulling something from her back pocket. “I guess this means we’re gonna have to track it down or something.” Her voice sent shivers down my back, it was so familiar. Like the tune to a song I heard once when I was very young, but now can’t remember the words to. It was so relaxing my eyes started drifting shut, why did I feel so tired all of the sudden?

            A blood curdling scream startled me awake, I lost my balance and fell from the tree. At the last second I twisted and landed on my feet, already sprinting towards the sound. Had I been sleeping!? That’s impossible, I almost never slept, not even during the day when I was trapped underground. Too many nightmares about the night my parents died.

‘Focus!’ I shook my head as I ran, I knew that sound, it was the scream of a vampire being staked, a sound I had heard far too many times. I pushed myself even faster, trees whipping by in a blur as I flew past. I was going so fast I almost didn’t notice the limp body blocking my path. Skidding to a stop, I rushed to the corpse and hastily flipped it over. The unseeing eyes of the young man we had just dug up looked back at me, his skin already grey and cracked.

I jumped up and looked around, ‘Where the hell are you Yugyeom?’ I questioned silently. A violent thump behind me sent me into defense mode, knees bent, and hands even with my chest.

“Get him out of here Youngjae! I’ll take care of this.” Yugyeom was standing over the prone body of the girl I had seen earlier, blood was running down her neck and mixing with her golden brown hair. Youngjae must have just arrived from the bunker, because he was standing on the other side of me looking just as surprised as I was. I felt his arms pulling me towards the hidden entrance, but I couldn’t pull my eyes away from the girl. The smell of her blood filled my nose and set my skin ablaze. It was like electricity was moving through my veins, my fangs slid into place and my vision went red. The next thing I knew I was falling down the ladder that led to our bunker, it was then I heard the sound of Yugyeom leaving us. A loud guttural yell that would haunt my dreams for the rest of my life.

            “Calm down JB!” Jackson’s voice sounded far away, calling me out of my memories and back into the present. As I came to, I felt the rapid heartbeat only possible for a vampire in the palms of my hands.  My fingers were tight around Jr.’s throat, his face red with anger and loss of oxygen. Mark and Jackson were pulling against my shoulders, trying to separate us. I ripped my hands away from his neck and violently shrugged off their arms. As I got up and made my way to the door that led to the tunnels, I saw Youngjae crying into BamBam’s arms. I wanted to wring his neck too, but I knew he was feeling just as ty as I was, we were both the last ones to see Yugyeom alive.

“Where are you going?” Jr. choked out as Mark and Jackson helped lift him to his feet. I wanted to turn and tell them how I felt; that I blamed myself, that another person I loved had died because of me, but I couldn’t. Instead I just continued to the door and out into the shadows, Yugyeom’s scream echoing over and over in my head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

Sorry the last few chapters have been so short! I'm using the beginning to just get some plot and character development out ther:) The characters will get back to their sarcastic comical selves soon, just had to give some sad backstory like any good drama;)  Thanks for reading! stick around to see how this love triangle develops!!!!!