First Love Lost

FANGirls

I jumped at a loud banging coming from the door to my apartment, causing me to slip and land on my in the shower.

"Ef!" I exclaimed pulling myself back up and turning the blissfully hot water off. Another bang came from outside, this time it sounded more like my door being slammed open. I quickly grabbed my towel and had just fastened it around myself when a third bang shook my bathroom door.

"Ae? Are you okay?" I almost didnt recognize T.O.P's deep voice, it sounded so concerned, almost scared. I was so taken aback I couldn't even think of a sarcastic comment about him wanting to see me . The sound of the door knob being frantically shaken woke me from my thoughts.

"I'm fine, I was just taking a shower." Slowly unlocking the door I cracked it open just enough to peak my face through. T.O.P.'s broad chest was directly in front of me, I slowly looked up into his deep black eyes almost a foot above me. His hair, which was always immaculately combed to the right (even when he fought vampires) was slightly disheveled, like he'd been running his hands roughly through it.

"Ae, thank God. I thought..." He trailed off looking down at my wet hair and bare shoulders. A deep red blush crept from his neck to his cheeks as he realized what I had said. He quickly looked away and spun in a tight circle to face the other direction.

" Sorry about...um. I was looking for you, and when your sister told me you had headed back to your room alone I got worried. You know, with someone after you and all." He mumbled quietly, bringing his right arm up to rub his neck awkwardly.

"Just because we may have missed one vamp last night doesn't mean I'm being hunted. Don't you think you're over reacting just a little?" I asked, leaning against the door jam, my confidence rising the more uncomfortable he seemed.

"Some new intelligence came in before you called me, I just dismissed it until I learned there was another one that night. I'll explain more on the way to your father's office...get dressed." He added shyly, without a glance back he strode around the corner in the direction of my living room.

'Well that was, interesting.' I thought to myself shutting the door to the bathroom and leaning my back against it.

I remembered the first time I laid eyes on T.O.P., I was young and I had just lost my mother. When he walked into the studio with my father I thought he was an angel. He was only 17 then but he was already tall and well built. He was my first love. His hair was longer, and he had a shy genuine smile, a smile I hadn't seen in a very long time. I used to hide in the practice rooms and watch him dance with the other members of his team. I envied his focus and determination when it came to hunting, which was something I had always hated. For a short time, I even pretended to at hand-to-hand so he could personally help me practice.

After 4 years of unrequited and unacknowledged love, I found the courage to confess my feelings. I had just gone on my first hunt with T.O.P., and I was feeling very accomplished. Before the adrenaline from fighting had time to wear off I grabbed his arm and let loose 4 years of pent up feelings. At first he didn't say anything, I couldn't tell if he was thinking of a way to answer or a way to get out of this situation as soon as possible. Judging by his response, it was most likely the latter. He gently peeled my hand from his arm and let it fall, the hard look in his eyes told me everything I needed to know. Before he could say a word I sprinted off into the nearby woods, my vision blurring with hot tears. All I could think was how stupid I had been, of course he didn't like me, he never had. I had just ruined everything, he would never be able to act the same way around me again, he would pity me.

It took my older sister Dae almost 3 hours to find me and convince me to come back home. Promising to stay the night in my room watching boys over flowers and eating chocolate covered everything. After that day, T.O.P. started taking everything seriously and made sure he was nothing but professional in front of me. To him, I was just the boss’ daughter, nothing more.

“Aish! I must be going crazy!” I whispered angrily, I flipped my hair over and shook the towel through it, pulling extra hard to get the thoughts out of my head. I stood up straight and headed towards the back of my bathroom that connected to the walk-in closet. As I reached up to my dresser where I kept jeans I paused, ‘Did he just call me Ae?’. T.O.P. made a point of always calling me by my full name, just to make sure I understood he thought of me as a child.

After I was fully clothed in faded jeans and a light grey sweater, I headed to the living room where I found T.O.P. standing still in front of a picture of me and CL from years ago. We both had blue highlights in our hair and huge childish grins, it was an embarrassing picture but C gave it to me for my birthday so I kept it around.

“I’m ready.” My voice jolted him out of his thoughts and he swung around to look at me. For a moment his eyebrows relaxed and I saw the young happy T.O.P. that used to show me dance moves and smile innocently. A second later the moment was over, he was stiffly striding to the front door without looking back. I felt my heart drop, all my feelings I had pushed back for so long came rushing forward. I squeezed my eyes shut, no way was I letting one stare destroy all my hard work, he had moved on and so had I. I opened my eyes, steeling myself for the upcoming confrontation with my father.