Arranged

Attempt For Fidelity

 

 

ARRANGED

 

--

“What the hell, Dad!” Jongin shrieked. They are in the living room talking about family business.

“Watch your tongue Jongin!  I’m your father for Pete’s sake!” barked Mr. Kim. His wife next to him gives his left shoulder a light squeeze to calm him down.

“But this is insane! I can’t get married! No, scratch that, I don’t WANT to get married! I mean not now!” Jongin blurted out with a hand his hair in frustration.

They are in the living room talking about Jongin’s marriage to the son of their very loyal business partner, the Do Corporations. Even before Jongin and the heir of the Do Corporations are born, their parents already agreed to affiance their children in the future.

“I can’t do it, Dad…” Jongin said in a much calmer tone. He didn’t mean to yell at his father but the topic is just eating up his self-control. It’s not that Jongin didn’t know about the “marriage” thing before but that still doesn’t mean that he liked it.

“You have to. We already talked about this before Jongin…” Mr. Kim answered firmly.

“I don’t even know him…”

“He’s a very sweet boy, son…” Mrs. Kim assures Jongin but the latter was not even convinced.

“But—“

“You WILL marry him and that is FINAL.” Mr. Kim had enough of his son’s nonsense and finalized the decision before storming out the room. When he was nowhere in sight, Mrs. Kim pads towards her only son.

“I don’t want to do this, Mom…” Jongin said in a whisper but his mom heard him loud and clear.

“I’m so sorry Jongin-ah, but you’re father has decided already. Don’t worry! I met the boy and he is very nice… you will be okay.” Mrs. Kim says before engulfing him to a warm hug. Jongin automatically returned the gesture which he knows will calm him but at the moment, even his mother can’t give him peace.

Jongin’s life is ed up.

 

--

 

That night, Jongin finds himself twisting and turning in bed. He can’t sleep after knowing that just after he graduates, he will be tied…

For ETERNITY.

The idea sends shivers down his spine. He can’t accept it. Yes, he was born in luxury and gets everything he wanted either cheap or extravagant but right now he felt like the world is closing in on him. Heck, he is willing to give up everything just to stop his upcoming marriage, which happens to be three months away, but he knows that there is no way out. He’s no longer free.

He gets up; reaches for his phone on the night stand and dialled the number of the person he knows will be able to instantly calm him.

“Hello?” the sleepy voice on the other line says.

“H-Hey Sehun…”

“Do you know what time it is?! Yah! Kim Jongin! If you want to say something about that new video game of yours, just do it tomorrow! We have first class together anyway…”

“And Physics…”

“Yeah, and let me remind you we also have Arts, Literature, Music, Calculus and all other subjects written on your matriculation form together so I don’t know why the hell you need to call me at an ungodly hour if you already know that we will be with each other the next whole day!” Sehun replied irritated.

“I can’t sleep…”

“Close your eyes.” Sehun deadpans.

“It won’t do… I… I’m s-scared…”

All the irritation Sehun felt melted and warps into genuine concern. There is no playful tone in Jongin’s voice like he always hears. There is something bothering his best friend and he cares for him too much that he can’t ignore him even if he wanted to get back to sleep.

“What’s the problem Jongin-ah?”

“It’s… I…”

“You can tell me Jongin-ah. You know you can tell me everything.” Sehun calmly says and Jongin instantly felt calm. Sehun is always the light amidst the darkness.

“I’m getting married.”

“Oh.”

There was silence after that. Both of them let the words sink in.

“I… I don’t want to do it but… but Dad says that I have to…”

“Then don’t disappoint your father Jongin-ah.”

“But I don’t even know that person… I don’t even like him…”

“Then try…”

“Sehun… You know that I love you, right?”

Yes. Kim Jongin is in love with his best friend and it’s not a secret to everybody. Sehun feels the same way but both of them decided to remain best friends because they are sure that they are destined for each other and will definitely end up being together forever.

“I know…”

“So I won’t even try. I promised you that it will only be just you and me, right? We are destined for each… I’m sure of that since the day I met you…”

“Jongin-ah…”

“I don’t want to be with anybody else Sehun, it has to be you… just you…”

“Jongin-ah, Listen to me.” There is a lace of seriousness in Sehun’s voice that Jongin knows he has to listen.

“Okay…”

“If we are really destined for each other, then it only means that whatever happens, fate will make us end up together. Maybe it’s not our time yet but I know that destiny will have a way to bring us together…”

“Sehun…”

“Marry him, Jongin-ah… but promise me that you will never forget me…”

“You know that I would never—“

“Then do it. I am okay with it so should you.”

“I…”

“Jongin-ah, let’s leave our future in fate’s hands. If it wants us to be together, one way or another, it will happen.”

“I’ll do it… but promise me that you will never stop loving me…”

“I promise.”

 

--