02 : Surreal

Sinless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Luhan was awake long before the sun came up.  He sat up with a heavy sigh, massaging his sore back.  Feeling the cold air from the outside seeping into his room through the thin, paper doors, he grabbed a fur blanket and walked outside, where he was greeted by fog.  His ears seemed to pick up faint sounds of ghostly whispers and silent pleads.  His heartbeats quickened.  It's the dead.

 

Why have they suddenly decided to come now? Luhan wondered.  It was only on a rare occasion that he would hear horrid things such as those voices.

 

Shivers still slid down his spine as he chose to ignore them, shutting them out of his head completely.  With a sigh of relief, he made his way over to the stone bench in front of the oak tree he sat in the day before.  There, he found a boy clothed in white waiting for him.

 

"It's about time you came, Luhan," the boy said with a small smile.  He had creamy-brown hair and pretty pairs of eyes and lips.  "Don't you know how long I've been waiting?"

 

"It's been a long time, Baekhyun," Luhan breathed.  "What are you doing here?"

 

Baekhyun's bright aura seemed to darken.  His eyes seemed to turn amber.  "You're in grave danger," came the response.  "You and the one you protect.  You must be aware of what comes after you."  His eyes changed back and he sighed.  "You can't be so clueless, Luhan.  It's coming."

 

"What's coming?"

 

"I cannot disclose that to you.  Orders," Baekhyun replied.  "I'm only here to warn you.  Your existance is at stake."

 

"But I'm immortal.  We both are," Luhan pointed out.

 

Baekhyun scoffed.  "Not anymore," he said.  "The darkness has grown.  Everyone is starting to put up intense security against it.  The only ones that are exposed are humans and guardians such as yourself."

 

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows.  "I thought the darkness was destroyed a long time ago.  Before the time of the First Light.  There is no way it could be revived."

 

"You forget, brother, that nothing can live without its opposite," Baekhyun said with sorrow in his voice.  "It's been that way for the longest time."  He stood.  "I'm sorry you have to deal with this so early.  You're only. . ."

 

"Five hundred years," Luhan finished.  "Age doesn't matter to me, Baekhyun, and it never has.  I'll be fine.  We'll be fine."

 

"If only," the other said with longing.  "It's getting harder and harder to watch over the boy I'm assigned to.  He's so rebellious, it gets me annoyed every time he does something wrong."  He shook his head, trying to get rid of the thoughts.  "Nevermind about Chanyeol.  I only came to warn you."

 

Luhan bowed slightly.  "Thank you, Baekhyun."

 

The other gave Luhan a small smile before turning away.  He started to walk deeper into the fog when he turned back around and faced Luhan with his slightly colored eyes again.  "Beware, Luhan.  Take care, and trust no one."

 

With that, he turned and disappeared.

 

The fog dissapated almost immediately, revealing the warm sunlight of the morning.  The birds started to sing their songs, and the trees seemed to shake themselves of their night frost, spraying Luhan with sweet dew.  He stood there, pondering, before going back to his room to gather his things and get ready for the journey.

 

"Beware, Luhan.  Take care, and trust no one."

 

Was something coming that Luhan couldn't see?  He was sure his senses were right on point.  Maybe there was a mysterious force he couldn't read?

 

Protect the prince, he told himself as he changed into another white robe and brought his things to the main hall, where the royal family was starting to gather.  He saw Seyoon off to the side, playing with Jongin.  They met eyes for a moment, only for Seyoon to look away with a scoff, which broke Luhan's heart yet again.

 

"Good morning, Luhan."

 

Luhan turned to face the king himself.  He bowed immediately and mustered the brightest smile he could give.  "Good morning, my king."

 

The king looked away at Seyoon.  "I hope you got some rest last night."

 

"I did, my king.  Thank you," Luhan answered.  "And you?"

 

"Yes," the king answered.  He looked back at Luhan with pity in his eyes.  "I talked to Seyoon last night.  I'm sorry for his irrational behavior towards you.  It seems that he was a bit upset, but he would not tell me exactly why."

 

Luhan bowed.  "It's quite fine, my king."

 

"Thank you."  The king sighed.  "I hope this trip goes well.  His mother and I have been planning this marriage ever since his birth."  He paused.  "He just doesn't seem ready."

 

"He will be, my king.  Have faith in him," Luhan said.

 

The king gave him a sad smile.  "Thank you, Luhan."

 

After everything was gathered and packed onto carts and carriages, the royal party took off, waving to the villagers as they travelled away from the palace, and then the kingdom.

 

Luhan rode his white horse, Aurel, beside the carriage in which Seyoon was with Jongin as the party travelled through the forest.  He peeked inside to see the two napping peacefully next to each other.  A small smile came to his lips as he closed the curtain.

 

He's still a child.

 

In the midst of Luhan's tho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter