#6 One of A Kind Consideration

Living With the Love of My Life

She felt warmth crawled on her skin, her eyes opened slowly. Her world was spinning. Junhee tried to sit while her hand was busy massaging her pounding head. She jolted up as she felt nausea coming and ran as fast as she could to the bathroom. As she flushed the loo, she finally realized that she was in Baekhee’s apartment looking at the blue tiles in the bathroom. She sighed in disrepair knowing she would get an earful from her best of bestfriend.

 

“Good, you’re up” Baekhee’s voice heard as she returned to the bedroom. “Wow, you’re in a mess. You shouldn’t have gone over your own limit, Miss Kim Junhee”

 

“I know” Junhee replied shortly. “How did I get in here?”

 

Baekhee raised on of her eyebrows. “I was so sure that you still had your sanity last night but I guess it’s all gone by the wind. Well, good thing you don’t get fever”.

 

“How did I get in here?” Junhee asked again, this time her voice got a little bit louder and clearer.

 

“I asked your fiancé to pick you up” Baekhee replied and Junhee’s eyes widened. “He did. He put you on his broad shoulder like a gentleman he is and-“

 

“. That was-“

 

“Romantic. Don’t curse,  Junhee. Ah, and for your headache, I have prepared a bowl of soup in the dining room. I have to go to campus now”

 

Gulping down her orange juice, Junhee looked at busy Baekhee. “Can I stay until evening? I don’t think I’m ready to face my parents yet”

 

“Yeah, and please find your sanity, Junhee” Baekhee left the room while Junhee glared at her.

 

 

Yifan sat on the bed, legs straight and his back leaned against the headboard. Casual black pants and beige sweater. Glasses over his sharp eyes and a book in his hand. Yifan flipped the page he was reading then fixed his glasses. He chose to stay at home instead of going to work as he couldn’t find any sanity left after what happened last night. He knew that was a rush for Kim Junhee, but he already felt something since their first meeting.

 

She was beautiful, beyond magnificient. And he felt something unfamiliar in his stomach, he couldn’t find his voice when she asked something while her eyes widened, showing him ocean of life. Oh my, did she have something like magic or what?

 

He didn’t think so, maybe it was just him who had madly fallen in love with her.

 

Yifan was a cold city guy for sure. Never had he been seen with a girl. He was always focus on his school and loved his carier to the point he never dated anyone. At first it made his parents glad as Yifan achieved his goals with flying colors and faster than his friends. On the other hand, Yifan was too cold, he rarely, almost never, smiled. He always showed his face to everyone except their parents.

 

There was one time when Yifan’s Mama found his son got home from campus with a little smile attached on his lips. She was really curious but didn’t ask him why, afraid that precious little smile would fade away. It was not that he didn’t smile on his special days like his birthdays, his parents’ birthdays, the days he got awards, but those smiles were just formality. One must smile when something good happens as a gratitude form.

 

And then when she entered his office room on a certain day, she found his son smiled widely, until she thought it might reach his ears. And not to mention Yifan’s reddened cheeks. She almost jumped around in joy but she held it in. That day, Yifan had lunch with Kim Junhee. A few days ago.

 

“Yifan?” she called as caressed his son’s thigh. “Let’s have some fruit at the backyard” she knew that Yifan might need a talk, about anything. He looked so tense when they were having breakfast three hours ago. He even surprised his parents saying he would sleep in their house instead in his own apartment, she and her husband were glad, though.

 

Without saying anything, Yifan followed her mother to the backyard after putting his book on the nightstand. Even after a few minutes they sat down side by side on the wooden swing by the swimming pool, Yifan didn’t utter a single word. “It’s Junhee, isn’t it? What are you worrying? You know you can share anything with Mama, right?”

 

“She must hate me so much right now” he murmured, eyes looked distant. “I feel so dumb now”

 

“You’re just attracted to her, son” she smiled. “You look so hopeless” she joked.

 

“Mama, what kind of man who will the girl he just met a few days before to marry him just because he is so lost in the ocean of life in her eyes?”

 

She didn’t wipe her smile, patted Yifan’s shoulder softly.

 

“She was so drunk, Mama. Her face was all red and warm, and how come she still looked like a goddess? I don’t have any idea” Yifan sighed and closed his eyes. “Truth always comes when you’re drunk. She frankly said that she hated me whole bloody journey to her bestfriend’s house”

 

Yifan’s Mama’s smile widened, she understood completely that her son was just being understanding but he couldn’t help feeling insecure. She thought it was normal because Yifan hadn’t been in relationship since forever. “Junhee looks like a stubborn girl, so when you talk to her, don’t let your ego take over your sanity”

 

 

She just sat there, her look was so distant. Pencil between her front teeth, she couldn’t hear what her professor was saying there. She was just still shocked. Why now? Couldn’t her family wait for two or three years more for her to get married?

 

She looked at her note, read the doodling she did before. There written few ways of her own thoughts to cancel or at least postpone their parents’ planning.

 

First, she could runaway. She had enough money. Maybe she could stay in anywhere in Korea as long as it’s far from Seoul or abroad. Maybe she could visit her aunt in Boston and stay there for a month or so. But she couldn’t, as she was in the last semester of her college years and an assistant of a translator. Yes, Junhee finished her study in accounting first then continued with English literature.

 

“Miss Kim Junhee, can you please read the next paragraph?” a voice snapped her out and when she looked up, she saw her professor stood near her desk. “Will you? Or you can just continue your daydreaming outside”

 

 

“I don’t get it, Junhee” Baekhee said after gulping down her diet cola. “He’s the most eligible bachelor in town, or maybe even in Korea and China, and yet you don’t want to marry him?” Baekhee couldn’t help shrieking at the end of her sentence while looked at a few magazines on the table in front of them. All of the magazines’ cover are Wu Yifan, mostly candid ones, because that man didn’t like his photo to be taken, many people knew that.

 

“Why? Is it the first time happen?” Junhee asked, looked not so interested. She continued reading her novel, Pride and Prejudice, as she had to make review, her professor punished her for daydreaming during the class.

 

“Yep,” Baekhee answered as she flipped the page, showing a few photos of Yifan doing the interview. “I remember an actress said that she would leave her acting career to be his wife, is it Lee Jinah or Ha Jiwon?”

 

Junhee swallowed her French fries,”Should I be interested? To an old man?”

 

“Junhee!” Baekhee shouted. “You are being really annoying. Don’t you remember there was a girl came to me after a blind date and told me the prince she adored very much as though he were the only man in this world?”

 

Junhee sighed then faced her bestfriend. She looked at her angrily and when Baekhee smirked, “Maybe she was drunk,” Junhee said flatly. “or she was mad”

 

“Oh my God!” Baekhee sighed in disbelief. “Okay! I will not bring who-or-what-Wu-Yifan-is issue, but you should be able to see the advantages you will get if you get married!”

“I won’t get married for profit, for merger or for anyone” Junhee replied coldly without looking at Baekhee.

Baekhee rolled her eyes and forced Junhee to face her. “Okay, let's say this is the ease which will you get if you get married. First, there will be someone who will take responsibility for your financial. Wu Yifan earns more than enough. You don’t need to swipe your own credit card even if you devour the entire mall! He would be happy to pay for your needs and desires.

Second, you don’t need to drive yourself wherever you go. Come on, we know you're not a good driver. You sometimes still scratch other’s car when parking, or forget turn on the seign” Junhee put her novel down. Although she didn’t look at Baekhee, she knew that her bestfriend was starting to listen to her.

Baekhee looked at Junhee’s face carefully, hoping that stubborn girl will show some expression. “Third, I know you are a disciplined person, but you know, lately your life is a little messy. You wake up late, missed breakfast, late lunch, wrong books, wrong class and other things you never experienced before. He might be able to help prepare your bag or take a meal together

 

And, I don’t know whether this can be your last consediration or not, but I’m sure he will support you whatever you want to do. You say you want to continue your study, I’m 100% sure he will approve. Why? He loves you. Or maybe, you say you want to work, he will say yes. You say you want to sit at home all day long like a queen and have maids to do everything for you, I’m sure he will say yes”

 

Junhee finally looked at Baekhee with no expression, but they’d been friend for years and Baekhee knew Junhee was listening to her. Baekhee didn’t mean that Junhee had to get married, but she thought it would be better if Junhee had someone who would be on her side anytime beside her.

 

“I will consider it”

 

Baekhee smiled, not realizing that she’d held her breath as she watched Junhee. “Good”

 

 

Yifan returned to work that day. He spent two days at his parents' home, discussed with his mother how to win Junhee’s heart. Her secretary has told him his schedule that day that it was not too much to do. He just needed to be in his office and date colorful folders and laptop. Junhee’s face sometimes still appeared in his mind, but it was not as much as yesterday. Her mother said maybe it was because he felt too guilty.

"Son, you want to know something? If you want to get a worthy  companion, then make yourself worthy first. If you want a companion whom you can show off to many people, then make yourself worthy for her to show off, at least to his school friends . If you want her to understand you, then understand her. It's about reciprocity, dear. Don’t get too stressed with how her response, the important thing is how you try. Do you understand? "

Yes, maybe it could be an option for him, he would make himself worthy, he would try, then he would let her decide.


He opened the document and then start working again. He was so focused, to the point that he only mumbled when his secretary delivered coffee and told him that lunch was in less than thirty minutes.

His cellphone rang. He just glanced and then ignored it. It might be only his cousin who wanted to take lunch together (Sometimes Yifan didn’t  understand why Yixing –his cousin, always called him for lunch when they worked on the same floor) or his mother who would remind him to have lunch (Please believed Yifan when he said his mother was very talkative about his health).

His cell phone stopped ringing a few seconds later, indicating someone he didn’t know who had decided to cancel the call. He continued his work but his cell phone rang again. This time, he decided to answer it. His eyes widened and Yifan almost jumped out of his seat when Junhee’s name shown there.

Yifan suddenly felt very nervous and he could see his thumb shaking the time he swapped the green circle on the screen. He cleared his throat, trying not to sound awkward. No, no, he hoped he wouldn’t sound too excited or his voice would sound higher.

"Hello, Miss Kim junhee?"

"Eum, yes hello, have you had lunch? Could we meet at the cafe the other day? If you can’t,I’ll just go, but-"

"Yes, I'm leaving now," Yifan glanced at his watch. "Give me ten minute, please"

"Ten minutes," Junhee said. Yifan imagined her to check her schedule that day. "Okay"

 

 

Junhee sipped her iced tea. She observed Yifan who sat before her. With a loose tie and hair that wasn’t as neat as in the morning, the man was still quite good. "I brought kimbab and mandu" she took two fod boxes from her bag. "I think it would be better if we had lunch, so it won’t waste your time"


"Yes, of course" Yifan said then ed his shirt sleeves and rolled them up to the elbow. "Thank you for ordering americano for me"

Junhee just smiled a little to respond. "Let's eat first" Junhee handed chopsticks on Yifan.


Frankly, Yifan’s heart was completely uncontrollable. Yifan hold his smile. Although Junhee’s tone was flat, he was very happy that they could talk. Eventhough he was curious, Yifan reminded himself not to discuss drunken Junhee a few days earlier. She must be very embarrassed.


Yifan tasted the kimbab then chewed it slowly. He almost moaned shamelessly when his tongue tasted how delicious that kimbab. He wondered whether Junhee cooked it herself.


"Are you always like this?" Yifan looked up, his eyes met Junhee’s dazzling dark eyes. The girl looked at him as if he were doing something funny. "Are those kimbabs that delicious?"

 

He swallowed his kimbab then coughed. He was really embarrassed. He sipped his drink and then nodded swiftly. Yifan didn’t know what was happening to him whenever dealing with this girl. His heart always beat faster, his face flushed (Yifan always prayed that his face didn’t look red) and behaved very differently than usual, not the arrogant and cold Wu Yifan, but helpless and awkward Wu Yifan.


Junhee chose to hold herself back and let Yifan eat while occasionally she ate mandu she brought.It seemed that way, but in fact she was preparing her heart and convinced herself. Maybe she would look so stupid and easy, but she had already considered her decision carefully. Maybe someday, she would regret it, but she'd think about it later.


"Let's get married," she said. "Wu Yifan-ssi"