goddess on a leash

What the Water Gave Me

What a delightful evening!

The human world had done me no good. For some inexplicable reason, my temper flared up faster than uncle Fire’s hair whenever one of my cousins sneaked to our home. I had injured two innocent humans and it hadn’t been long since my arrival, so it worried me what else I was capable of during my stay. Speaking of arrivals, as much as I wanted to thank the red-haired creature for knocking those men down, I really didn’t believe violence was a viable solution. Yes, I was aware I had used violence and it was awful of me to do so, but a part still hoped they knew it had not been my intention. The other part cheered for the creature helping me out, not so much when a greater danger welcomed us.

“Hello beast! My, what a lovely coat you have!”

You could solve anything through a pleasant chat and a couple of drinks, which was how we, the gods, dealt with affairs. Humans, too, learned that talking things out like gods do would be much easier, right? Even the millennium flood changed from the Water Goddess’ sole decision to that of a vote system in which all four main gods chose their desired outcome.

“Lovely beast, would you forgive our intrusion and carry on your path?”

However, the beast before us wasn’t human. I doubt it learned the practice of articulated language as it snarled deeper.

“Would you shut up?”

The creature glanced over her shoulder, a shiny object similar to that of the men’s in her grasp. It was much beautiful than whatever they had. There were some faint silvery lines engraved on the almost white blade.

Ah, yes.

It must be a weapon. It all made sense. Those men and the creature carried weapons.

“Don’t mind her, beast, she is a creature of the forest like you are, I’m sure you’ll get along just fine.”

“That’s not a lovely beast, it’s a saber!”

“Well, creature, if your knowledge is this vast, why not enlighten me on what this saber you speak of is?”

The beast came closer, each step leaving deep marks in the ground. Spots of grass withered at the contact with its saliva.

“Demon dogs. If a saber’s here, the master is not too far.”

“Aw, aren’t you a loyal puppy!”

“Would you please shut up?”

“I’m sorry creature but… it gets boring,” wiggle, “up here.”

Wiggle, wiggle.

The beast suddenly stopped. Ears perked at the sound of a whistle piercing the clearing. As suddenly as it came, the beast disappeared within the thickness of the forest. All it left behind were sounds of the ruffling leaves and the same wind gushing in waves of intensity. The highest branches bent from its power. What a gorgeous sight!

“See? Talking works.”

“Shhh!”

“Will you help me down now?”

“SHUT UP!”

It took me longer to observe the strong flash of ruby in the creature’s orbs as she menacingly glared up at me.

“It’s not that hard, you only have to cut the rope there,” wiggle, “tied to the trunk. It keeps me in air. Quite inventive, I must say.”

“Will you PLEASE shut up?”

“If you put it that way, creature, I might just do it.”

“So help me Nayna, just,” she looked at the rope then back at me, “give me a second.”

I gave her ten because that was how much it took her to cut the rope with the sharp blade and for me to stumble on the ground, backside first. Hyomin sheathed her weapon.

“Thank you, kind creature Hyomin!” Wiggle. “Untie the rest, as well?”

She didn’t bat an eyelash when she took the rope and hauled me.

“Wait, creature!”

Wiggle, wiggle.

“Get up.” I did. My legs were numb and they trembled too, such a nasty combination. “I’m getting you back to the village. I can’t handle a demon with a moron like you around.”

 

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

Hyomin knew she had a couple of hours to clear the village and mentally prepare for the demon. Sabers sniffed the area for anything of worth, usually for traces of humans, before their masters called them back. That whistle hadn’t been the strong wind. At least she knew demons weren’t desperate enough to act without meticulously planning ahead. Sabers provided information and nothing more. They also remembered any smell from lands apart and she was positive the saber already picked up her scent too. Hyomin was luring the demon to the village. It was the only way to defeat him.  

Unfortunately, she made the wrong decision when she dragged along the girl that wouldn’t stop yapping.

“Why is your hair so red?”

She questioned everything like a three year old and Hyomin never replied.

“Woah, is that a bird? I only saw them in drawings.”

Also remarked aloud anything she saw, as if her thoughts leaked straight through .

“I like your clothes, creature! What are you, anyway?”

She finally stopped and sighed, defeated. How could anyone speak so much? What irked her was the girl’s almost perfect pronunciation. She couldn’t be of these parts, not with that flat accent of hers. That gang of criminals must have had her for a long while, doing all sorts of unorthodox things over her young body. Hyomin took pity and decided to play along. The girl probably went nuts because of those filthy men.

“I’m human, just like you. Not a creature or whatever.”

“Oh, but I’m not,” the woman left wide open, one eye twitching slightly. Lips eventually glued and only shook her head in recognition. “Yes, humans, we’re both humans HAHAHAHA.”

Hyomin slapped her forehead and re the path, tugging at the rope for the girl to hurry up.

“How old are you?”

“Well, hu--- I mean, Hyomin, I am much older than I look.”

Hyomin ignored her again as the village houses with their inclined roofs poked through the mist in the horizon.

“Name?”

“Huh?”

Ruins of a greater empire were scattered on both sides of the road. They were vestiges of once magnificent structures, now at nature's mercy.

“What’s your name?”

“Oh,” Hyomin stopped and glanced at the girl with a subtle smile underneath the shadows her hat provided, “Hyuna. The name I’ve been given is Hyuna.”