protect the trees

What the Water Gave Me

These cute little humans and their outfits were adorable! I counted seven of them, three in front and four behind. The one with a moustache and an odd hairstyle seemed to have their attention. After they murmured something between them, all eyes were pinned on me.

I found it quite fascinating the way they dressed. Their clothes had holes and patches keeping them together, along with animal fur wrapped around their backs and necks, probably to preserve heat. Should I too ask an animal for its fur? Those poor creatures were so kind to have offered their coats to humans. What confused me were the trinkets hanging from their bodies. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets and brooches covered the group from head to toe. On top of that, they dragged large sacks that fell with a thud when they rampaged in my direction.

“Hi humans! Lovely weather, isn’t it?”

Striking up a conversation shouldn’t be hard. They stopped again and watched me attentively with wide eyes. From close by, they were a little ugly (I admit), but still charming nonetheless.

Back home, only the main gods can oversee this part of the world. My sisters and I, along with our cousins, cannot see it. We could only gaze from afar, on the balcony or from the window. It wasn’t the same as we only distinguished lands severed by rapid waters or snowy mountaintops smoking clouds. The only goddess to visit the world, as I was currently doing, had banned all future generations from ever setting foot on it. As the Air God’s second daughter, she too was curious on why her father disliked other creatures and only took a liking in humans. She returned disappointed and asked not to question her. Something dreadful must have happened for her to act like that. Soon, she took over as the main Air Goddess and insisted the most upon the millennium flood.

I suspect she spent too much time in only one area, around only a group of people, and hadn’t explored enough to truly enjoy the beauty of the human world.

“You,” the one with the moustache and ridiculous hairstyle placed something shiny under my chin, “who are you?”

“Human! That is not how you address a goddess!”

He lowered the pointy thing and burst into laughter. The rest followed.

“Sweetie, if you are a goddess,” the one near the funny-hair man spoke between chuckles, “want to bless the rod between my thighs?”

“What rod, human?” Interesting! So humans had a ‘rod’ stuck between their legs? Wasn’t it an impediment? The more they spoke, the more intriguing I found these ephemeral creatures. “Show me this mighty rod you speak of!”

“She’s crazy!” another shouted. “Let’s tie her up!”

“Oh, silly humans! You can’t even touch me!”

Even if the Air Goddess hadn’t spoken much about her adventures with the humans, she did mention two things. One was about the humans’ inability to touch our ethereal bodies. They can see us but not feel us for some unknown reason. There had been some explanations before but ultimately, gods accepted it as a fact since none had put it to the test.

Funny-hair pushed his face dangerously close to mine. I could see his nostrils flare up as he sniffed my face. Presumably to take in my scent? I know it as a trait found in several species but I had no idea humans did it too. With his face about to squish mine, I felt something warm on my left .

Upon closer inspection, I remarked how Funny-hair had grabbed the in question.

He squeezed it.

“Lady.”

Again.

“I am touching you.”

Squeeze, squeeze.

Unknowingly, a second emotion washed me over the moment I slapped the human into the adjacent tree: anger. I am truly sorry for throwing a human into your sturdy trunk, Mister Tree, but it was necessary.

“HOW DARE YOU DEFILE MY GRACEFUL BOSOM, YOU INSOLENT HUMAN!”

Ah, what a pity! I must have scared the humans from the way they looked back and forth between their fallen companion and me.

“She killed boss!”

No, he was very much alive. The chest rising and falling meant that, right? It is called ‘breathing’ if I weren’t wrong.

“She can’t be human.”

Of course I am not! Hadn’t I already told them? They clearly misunderstand my words. Maybe I had a thick accent for them to properly assimilate my sentences? Studying the main language from books might have deformed my speech. I should explain the entire situation before they do anything rash. Humans are such fragile creatures.

“GRAB HER!”

Ex-excuse me?

 

 

 

~*~*~*~

 

 

While the rest of the thieves were busy tying up the goddess and then letting her hang from the same tree’s thickest branch, a more cautious fellow silently ran away. From the moment he saw her in the mist, he knew something was wrong. Women do not just pop out from a misty forest, especially not ones. If that had been the case, he would have long taken one home to wed. Also, the way she handed their boss’ less glamorous way of proving her wrong (he always had a thing for proving others wrong even when his arguments were ridiculous or made no sense whatsoever; he just had to always be right) was downright scary.

After some time jogging, the man no longer knew where he was heading. The mist was still present in the forest and he could swear he hadn’t strained from the road, yet the surroundings weren’t familiar. He carried on at a slow pace. Soon, a figure emerged from afar and his heart froze in his chest.

Could it be the woman after her revenge? Or another woman there to eat him? To his luck, it was none of those as a young man approached him.

“You there,” he spoke confidently but the thief couldn’t help remark his high pitched voice, “do you know where this path leads? I am lost.”

Sure, he could trick the traveler and steal his clothes and other possessions like he would do with the group, but there was something more urgent on his mind.

“Don’t continue! There’s a demon out there, a fearful woman who knocked my group’s boss with a single blow.”

“A woman, you say? How does this woman look?”

“.”

“Sorry?”

“She’s .”

“Oh.” There was a one-minute pause before the young man coughed in his palm. “So, ehm, your group’s boss? What kind of group?”

“You know,” the other snorted and flipped his dirty golden locks over his shoulder, “stealing stuff, murdering the innocent, just your usual gang.”

“Where was this woman again?”

“Trust me, you really do not want to go there but it’s thataway,” he pointed and glanced behind him, only to feel a sharp pain on the back of his head.

“I always get the dumb ones,” the young man dropped the rock he used to hit the thief in the head. After, he removed the thief’s fur coat and used some spare rope to tie him to the nearest tree. “You stay here until I find the rest of your buddies.”

With the coat on the youngster’s shoulders, he advanced through the fog.

“ girl, huh?” he murmured, curiosity taking the best of him.

Bloody red locks shone from beneath his straw hat. A smirk betrayed his excitement.

For the man ready to take on an entire group of thieves was actually a woman who fancied some action - and there was nothing better than wiping out bastards who preyed on innocent girls.

 

~*~*~*~

 

AN: Hello hello again!!! Thank you so much for your support >///< you are all amazing <3 Thank you for reading ^o^