Twelve

Love Again

2 years had passed with a blink of an eye. Minji had finished her housemanship program. She continued her residency at the same hospital for another 2 years. Next, she decided on her mission to advance as a neurosurgeon.

“Minji, I want to talk to you.” Her chief called.

“Yes, chief. Is there anything wrong with my residency?”

“No. There is nothing wrong at all. It’s just that before you apply for the specialist program, I would like to have some advice, I guess. May I?”

“Sure, chief. What is it?”

“Based on your training, your work here, we, they specialists are in the same thought that you are not suitable in being a neurosurgeon.”

“What do you mean, sir?”

“We see you in pediatrics and midwifery, Minji.”

“But, doctor—“

“Keep calm. I’m saying this as an advice on behalf of your trainers, as a senior and as a friend. The decision is yours.”

“You think, I’m not going to make it in neuro?”

“I’m afraid not. Minji, you did such a great job with kids and delivering moms. We’ve seen it. Dr. Yoon even told me herself when you were in training with her department. In the labour room as well as in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit).”

“I guess you’re right, sir.”

“Minji, I hope you take no offense of this conversation.”

“No, sir. Not at all. Instead, I thank you.” Minji thanked with a smile. “I’m glad then. When are you applying?”

“Afterwards.” Minji smiled. A beep sounded from the pocket on her lab coat. “I need to go. They need me in the delivery room.”

“Told you.” The chief smiled. Minji chuckled as she went off the hallway.

*           *           *           *           *

Minji was accepted to be in the pediatrics and midwifery specialists program in UK. After that, only she would know where she will be transferred. She was in the airport, alone as her parents are unable to send her that night. She was sipping coffee that someone sat beside her. “Where are you going?” a deep familiar voice cleared his throat. Minji turned to see that a guy with mask and a hat on just talked to her. It was Kyuhyun.

“UK.”

“What about me?”

“You know we don’t have anything to say anymore. I told you I just can’t. You’re just using me to get over RaeJoon’s death.”

“Minji, in my mind, our relationship has never been over.”

“Really? Then where have you been for the past 4 years? Wasn’t that supposed to really mean that we are already done with each other?”

“I’m sorry. I---“

“Flight number KR204 to Amsterdam will be departing in an hour. Passengers are advised to check in and proceed to the boarding hall. Thank you.” The announcer called.

“I have to go. Sorry.” Minji stood up and went away with her luggage. Kyuhyun immediately went for her, grabbing her arms and pull away his mask before kissing Minji. He could feel Minji’s tears on his cheeks. Minji let off the kiss and pushed him away slightly.

“I’m sorry.” Minji apologized, wiping her tears off her cheeks and went fastening her pace leaving Kyuhyun behind.