Dates

Have We Met?

“Hey Jinyoung, today’s a Saturday, clear your schedule up for me, please?”

 

“Hmm, why?” The young manager asked as he stretched himself beside Mark.

 

“Uh, do I need a reason for wanting to go on a date with you?”

 

Jinyoung turned, his eyes lit up with such brightness that Mark had to shield his own away from them.

 

“You want to go on a date with me?”

 

“Uh, no, I’d like to get a Brazilian wax and a helmet haircut.”

 

“Yes, yes, let’s go on a date! I want to go on a date with you!” Jinyoung started peppering Mark with kisses and the elder let Jinyoung have it his way that morning.

 

 

 

 

 

Mark was all prepped in his skinny jeans, sleeveless The Only Ten I See printed shirt and sneakers when Jinyoung wailed and whined from the screen of his laptop. His phone was on speaker and Jinyoung was sure that Mark could hear Jimin’s nervous tone when the assistant answered the phone.

 

“Tell me this is a joke, Jimin.”

 

“Uh, sorry, boss. But they decided to reschedule the meeting to today.”

 

“It’s a Saturday.”

 

“The Germans would be leaving tomorrow, and today’s the last day to negotiate with them.”

 

Mark took the stairs, making his way down to approach Jinyoung. He was by the younger man’s side in no time and massaged Jinyoung’s nape.

 

“Well I don’t care. I have other things to do.”

 

“This would be their last time visiting, boss. If we don’t take this chance now, there won’t be another merger with them. Your main rival has been eyeing them as well.”

 

Jinyoung’s fingers combed through his hair, pulling the roots in a harsh tug.

 

“I told you, I don’t care –”

 

“I’ll be sure to send Jinyoung myself to the company, Jimin. What time would the meeting be?”

 

Mark could feel holes boring into his scalp when Jinyoung glared at him.

 

“No, I’m not going!”

 

“You are, Jinyoung. Listen to your elders.”

 

“Well, no means no!”

 

“Uh – um, excuse me, but, the meeting is at 4, Mark-ssi.”

 

“Great! I’ll see you there then. Thanks, Jimin,” and with that he ended the call.

 

“Mark, how can you do that?! I want to go on a date with you.”

 

“Well, the journalists and paparazzi would have a field day seeing the ever emotionless business tycoon whining and crying in his boyfriend’s arm, no?”

 

“They can off. I will whine and throw a tantrum if I want to!”

 

“Jinyoung,” Mark stated his lover’s name in a firm tone, “I know how important your work is for you. Opportunities like this mustn’t escape your business acumen. Go and negotiate with them, and we can go on a date later.”

 

“I hate it when you’re right.”

 

“I know, baby. I love you too. Hey, hey, look on the bright side. We still have a couple of hours to kill,” with a wink of his eye, Mark settled himself on Jinyoung’s lap and indeed, they killed a few hours.

 

 

 

 

“Jimin, go find out what Mark did; any reservations or – I don’t know – anything you can find on what he is up to today.”

 

“Why is that? Is he cheating on you, boss?!”

 

“Don’t ask, just do. Get back to me a.s.a.p.”

 

“Yes, boss.”

 

Jinyoung went to office with an overwhelming sense of guilt. Mark isn’t one who would ask Jinyoung of such request. All he did was follow whatever the young manager wanted. Dining in, dining out, impromptu dates, sappy rom-com movies; all were under Jinyoung’s request and the elder obliging. Hence, having the elder make the first move, Jinyoung was over the moon. The elder has probably moved on from his insecurities and would finally pamper Jinyoung with so much love the younger thought he would die from overflowing cavities.

 

But, no.

 

Out of all the times they were together, that one opportunity of going out with Mark, his work had to come in between them. He cursed under his breath when Jimin’s voice reached him through the intercom, announcing the arrival of the German representatives.

 

The meeting went well, for a business merger, since the Germans are very calculative and the team was led by a brilliant team leader aided by her group of four – let’s just call them – minions (because Jinyoung is evil). It took quite some time to negotiate with them over the matters that would benefit both Haru and their hotel.

 

They discussed the initial terms that Jinyoung prepared in case something like this happened; he has a good intuition after all. Terms and conditions were revised, some were changed, some were added and some were completely cut off. Finally, after two grueling hours later, they were shaking hands with all smiles. Jinyoung didn’t know there was a capacity to his usage of the German language. He was ready to throw in some Korean at them.

 

“Shall I call up my secretary to find us a good place for dinner?” Jinyoung asked, pleading in his head that the team leader, the lady who goes by the name Kris, would reject his kind, kind offer.

 

She laughed a little, her lady-like manner still intact despite their earlier “merger duel”.

 

“I do think you have some other place to be right now. In all honesty, Mr Park, I understand that we caught you on a bad day. But, it was all very worth it. We look forward to our companies’ affiliation.”

 

“Thank you. Haru hopes to be on good terms with you.”

 

Despite his desire to run out of the stuffy, monotone meeting room, Jinyoung knew better than anyone to keep himself under check. Mark would have been proud to know how he was able to control himself. He led Kris and her team out, together with Jimin as they escourt the group until the very end.

 

“Boss, I’ve got the information on Mark-ssi.”

 

“And?”

 

“He actually signed up for a cooking class today. It was a 2-hour session and after that he contacted someone from a popular club around Kangnam-gu.”

 

“What’s he doing now?”

 

“There hasn’t been any movement, no one entered and Mark-ssi didn’t go out.”

 

“What’s with the face?”

 

“Well, if he was gonna cheat on you, why a cooking class though? And why did he miss this good opportunity?”

 

“Why do you think so, Jimin?” Jinyoung's brows rose with curiosity.

 

“To begin with, a cooking class doesn’t give him much privacy with the other guy. As you are fully aware by now, boss, that Mark-ssi is still on top search as your lover and that if he appears all lovey dovey with another guy, wouldn’t that be suspicious? Cooking for two people usually end up with throwing food at one another and probably making out later on. And what great opportunity it is, you even ended up having a late meeting. All should have gone well for him and secret lover.”

 

“Wrong.”

 

“Eh? No?”

 

“To begin with, there are people like you who make dumb speculations. Remind me to cut off your bonus for spouting such poppycock about my lover. We were supposed to be on a date. But I bailed on him for this meeting. Now give me a damn good recipe so that I can make it up to him.”

 

“Yes, boss, I’m on it. Sorry about that, boss.”

 

“Get one before I get home, or else…”

 

There was no reply from Jimin, or maybe there was, but Jinyoung ignored him because he has another important matter to think about. Jinyoung drove off right away when his car arrived at the hotel’s driveway.

 

And what were you thinking, hyung, that you decided to go to a nightclub?  

 

His phone vibrated and Jinyoung placed in on loudspeaker, “Park Jinyoung.”

 

“Boss, I’ve got a list of recipes for you here.”

 

“Mention top three.”

 

“Uh, there are baked Alaska, beef wellington, or chile en nogada.”

 

“Jimin, do they consist of 101 steps with the highest difficulty level?”

 

“Ye-yes, boss! You said you wanted to make it up to him.”

 

“Did I learn culinary skills in my Mother’s womb? Damn good recipes that are 'easy enough for someone who has never fried an egg his whole effing life', Jimin.”

 

“Well, you could have said that earlier. Then, I do have that as well!”

 

“So?”

 

“Ahha, yes. There are swiss chard and lemon ricotta pasta or… you know what, boss? Simple kimchi fried rice would do. As long as you’re sincere, even fried rice would be made a gourmet. I assure you, boss, nothing could go wrong with that recipe.”

 

“For once, you’re agreeable. Text me the ingredients. Good job.”

 

“Thank you, boss. Uh, and about that bonus…”

 

“Too far, Jimin. Go home.”

 

“Ah, yes, good luck, boss! Take care.”

 

Jinyoung ended the call with a curt okay and not few minutes later, he received a short list of this so-called easy kimchi fried rice ingredients. Jinyoung dialed another number then. But there was no answer. He tried a different number then.

 

“Ah, hello!”

 

“Mark hyung ~ Why didn’t you pick up your phone?”

 

“Oh, Jinyoung, it’s you,” Mark tried to hide it, but Jinyoung could hear the faint muffle in the elder’s voice and some rustling in the background, “how was the meeting?”

 

“Bad, very bad. It hasn’t ended. We’re still negotiating. I’m so sorry about today, Mark. Let’s do something tomorrow. Don’t wait up for me and don’t worry about dinner. Get a good rest.”

 

“Is it? I’m sure everything’s going to be fine. It’s Park Jinyoung, right? Do your best, okay? Let’s talk about tomorrow later. Focus on your work! Love you!”

 

Jinyoung chuckled when the call ended. Mark was so easy to fool. He stepped on the accelerator and headed for the nearest supermarket.

 

 

 

 

He cursed at the small beep when he pushed the door open with his thumb print. Jinyoung hoped that Mark is asleep and he wouldn’t hear a thing from upstairs. Jinyoung tiptoed into his own home, the auto-lights at his presence. He placed the plastic bags on the counter with care, worried that the crinkling of the plastics would attract Mark’s attention.

 

He looked around and exhaled. Everything was clear. There was no sign of Mark. He did follow Jinyoung’s instruction not to wait up.

 

The general manager then took off his blazer and loosened the suffocating tie. He is about to go on a war.

 

 

 

 

Setting the ingredients out, Jinyoung went through the instructions Jimin gave him. He looked at the ingredients offensively, and then was prepared to face his biggest fear.

 

“How the heck do you JULIEN a carrot and zucchini?!” He whisoered to himself while holding both carrot and zucchini in either hands.

 

Looking around the kitchen, he swore under his breath, “where is the grater? Where the is it now?!”

 

“Should I Youtube on how to make a sunny-side up fried egg?” He got his tablet out, searched for it, let it load first while he set on his next task.

 

“What is the rice water level? What the is the level?!” He was indecisive whether it should be close to the rice or filled to the brim.

 

Jinyoung tore the plastic and got the mushrooms out, ready to murder them in their sleep. “Babe?”

 

And Park Jinyoung swore he almost sliced his thumb off when tried to remove the shiitake mushrooms stem.

 

“What are you doing? I thought you’re coming back late?”

 

“Uh, eh, I, um. Anyone up for a shiitake mushroom?” Jinyoung held the defenseless fungus up towards Mark.

 

“Are you okay? Why are you cutting up mushrooms?”

 

“Erm, the merger was a success actually. I went to the supermarket to buy some stuff. I didn’t know what was which, so I had the elderlies help me out with the grocery. Then, there was bad traffic. And I wanted to surprise you with this dumb fried rice that I haven’t even started on.”

 

“Hey, look at me.”

 

Jinyoung didn’t realize he had his head down, all plans on surprising Mark a huge failure. The elder was a few steps away from him.

 

“Congratulations on the merger. Don’t explain it like it’s something bad. You’re being such an amazing boyfriend. Should I help you?”

 

“NO! I mean, it’s for you, you should just sit there, and I don’t know, witness the circus I’m about to present?”

 

“Okay, okay,” he held both hands up, surrendering, “I shall enjoy the lovely show.”

 

Jinyoung knew that whatever he is doing, it only added to his own frustration. He tried hiding his tablet away from Mark’s vision, not wanting the elder to know he was blindly following Youtube. After a few spills here and there, a funny coloured bacon, and a fail sautéing later, Jinyoung was on the verge of jumping out of the building.

 

In his frustrated state, he didn’t realize that Mark was approaching him.

 

“You’re doing fine, babe. Look, this is how you sauté the veggies,” Mark closed in on Jinyoung, guiding him with the spatula.

 

“You’re doing good, Jinyoung. Keep that up while I check the rice,” and who was Jinyoung to disobey Mark Tuan at that moment?!

 

“The rice is cooked just right, Jinyoung. Now get the bacon in, and I’ll put the rice in.”

 

“Mark, you’re not supposed to be here.”

 

“I can’t, Jinyoung. I’m enjoying the show too much. You’re helplessness is so cute, I had to come over.”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“The kitchen is my domain. You better listen to me, child.”

 

“Humph, you’re a meanie, hyung.”

 

“Don’t eat take-outs too often. It’s not good for your health. You’re doing so well. Try a different one next time, okay?” Mark pat Jinyoung’s head, and an encouragement that the younger felt like melting into a puddle of goo. He should have gone to that cooking class!

 

“O-okay, hyung. You have to help me though. I might burn the place down.”

 

“No, you wouldn’t. My Jirongie’s doing very well right now,” the elder’s statement ended with a smile, like it always would, but somehow, Jinyoung had an inkling; a weird one at that.

 

They shared the fried rice, Jinyoung letting the elder have the very first taste and prayed that it would be as good as their hotel, Chef Kyungsoo’s cooked meal. Mark took scoop after scoop of the rice, smiling at every bite. Probably, it was better than Kyungsoo’s. But, who was he kidding right?   

 

Jinyoung spit at the very first munch because, “ugh, hyung, spit it out! It tastes like the East Sea.”

 

“Eh, I think it tastes fine, Jinyoung.”

 

“No, hyung, stop! I hate you. Why didn’t you say anything?!”

 

“No worries, Jinyoung. I was like that too when I first worked at Donghae hyung’s. You’ll improve, with time.”

 

Mark shouldn’t consume the horror that is labeled as Park Jinyoung’s kimchi fried rice. He pried the spoon away from Mark’s hand and grabbed the whole plate away from the elder.

 

“I’m calling delivery, hyung, and no lectures on healthy food. That, was as unhealthy as a set of McDonald’s would have been.”

 

The elder laughed at Jinyoung. He got up and pulled Jinyoung towards their shared refrigerator.

 

“We should probably have some tteokbokki and ramyeon tonight, huh?”

 

“Exactly what I was thinking, hyung!”

 

 

 

 

“Hyung.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Are you free today?”

 

“Yeah, aside from having breakfast, lunch, dinner and a shower, I’m as free as ever on a sunny Sunday.”

 

“Then, let’s go on a date?”

 

“Hold up, I have to ask my secretary first.”

 

“Hyung, that’s not fair. You’re a meanie.”

 

“I know you love me.”

 

“You bet I do.”

 

“And Jinyoung…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Don’t need to be so excessive as to go and book a flight ticket to Paris or Amsterdam. Something local would be just nice. Okay, love?”

 

“Ah, uhm, yeah, who said I was going to do that anyway?”

 

“I know you very well, Park Jinyoung. Now be an angel, and call Jimin to cancel that impromptu plan of yours.”

 

“Aish, hyung, why can’t you just pretend like you don’t know?”

 

“I know you all too well, Park Jinyoung, all too well,” he nipped on the younger’s shoulder, “just so you know, a date at Namsan Tower would be nice.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, really.”

 

So a date at the Namsan Tower they had indeed.

 

They were just like any other couple, hand in hand, gazing at each other lovingly (which would be amazingly disgusting). To be honest, this had been the one place that Mark has been dreaming about all these years, and finally, finally he’s here. Not only that, he was there with the person he has come to love and prayed so hard that time would freeze and they could stay there for a long, long time.

 

They stepped into the cable car. Mark could feel Jinyoung’s fingers twiddling and twisting on the bottom of the elder’s shirt. He was about to comment on it, but his words died on his lips when the cable car started moving, he was statue hard and breathing uneven. Mark could have laughed at it, but of course, the guilt was there too.

 

“Jinyoung, baby,” he called the younger man while his one hand rubbing on Jinyoung’s back, “why didn’t you tell me that you were afraid of heights?”

 

“Uh, I couldn’t bring myself to. You-you look so excited whe-when we got here.”

 

“Well, you’re cute and all that, but really, you could have said earlier. I do have other places in mind.”

 

“No-no! it’s fine. As long as you’re here, I’ll be-be fine.”

 

“Okay, love,” Mark stepped closer to his boyfriend, placing comforting hands on the younger as Jinyoung grabbed onto Mark’s shirt.

The ride was interesting since Mark alternated between looking over with worry towards Jinyoung and enjoying the beautiful scenery outside through the glass. They reached the base of the tower and everyone filed out of the cable car, Jinyoung being the very first one.

 

Mark looked around in interest, pointing out what caught his eyes to Jinyoung. The younger looked better then, sweat gone and replying to Mark’s question or statements. They came across the padlock area, a rainbow assertion of locks, big to small, new to rusted ones. There were even phone cases locked to the fencing area.

 

“Let’s do that,” they both voiced out at the same time and it induced laughter between them, “yeah, let’s.”

 

They went over to the shop that sell the said padlocks and inside, there were even more choices.

 

“Let’s have a small game. Find your most favourite one, write the cheesiest thing you could imagine, and we’ll ask strangers whose is the most cringe-worthy,” Mark suggested.

 

“Call! I’m so going to win, Mark.”

 

They let go of each other, and the race began. Mark went for a simple sky blue design, on a larger size and asked the lady at the counter for a marker. She gladly hand one over as Mark exchanged it with his payment on the padlock. It took Mark a while to think, but he figured: did he even have to think that long?

 

 

 

 

The couple talked about anything and everything like it was the very first time they met, like how it should have been properly done, like how it should have naturally been.  Mark never laid his eyes off Jinyoung. Capturing the younger man’s every action, reaction; tracing his feature over and over again so that he could make out the shapes properly when he closes his eyes. Those eyes that sparkle when he’s complimented like of a kindergartener, the nose that crinkle when he doesn’t even notice he does it, those lips, oh those lips that annoy him with his smart words, yet never failing to taste sweet when they kiss.

 

“Say hyung, I have something to tell you.”

 

“Hmm, what’s that Jinyoung? Please, don’t tell me we’re going to be fathers?!” Mark’s eyes bulged, faking surprise.

 

“You’re silly, Mark. But I’d love to have your babies. Anyway, yes, uh, I actually have something to admit.”

 

“What’s that, Jinyoung?”

 

“Remember yesterday? When you wanted to go out but I couldn’t?”

 

“Yeah, you came back and cooked for me.”

 

“Let’s not talk about how I failed, please. It’s just that I actually checked on what you wanted to do. You planned on a cooking class.”

 

“Ah, I see. That was why you came home with that idea in mind.”

 

“I was going to make it up to you, but you could have died from food poisoning.”

 

“Nonsense! I loved it, Jinyoung.”

 

“Hyung, please, don’t. It gives me false hope. But, yes, getting on to my next point: why did you call someone from a night club?”

 

“Ah, that, hmm, wait,” the stuttering Mark got Jinyoung laughing.

 

“Really, Mark, what were you thinking eh?”

 

“Seduceyouwithmydancemoves.”

 

“Come again?” Mark knew the younger man was faking it, wanting to hear those words once again.

 

“Seduce other men with my iness in the club. You know, one is never enough.”

 

Jinyoung’s expression faltered, the smirk gone and brows almost knitted together, “I’m sorry, what? How could you?”

 

“Well, yeah, I’ve been neglected, for so long, it gets boring.”

 

“Is that what you really th-”

 

Mark kissed those lips before Jinyoung could finish with his question.

 

“Do I really have to spell it out to you that I want no other man’s attention other than yours?”

 

“Yeah, you do,” Jinyoung took his hands and linked their fingers.

 

“How?”

 

“With your y dance,” Jinyoung winked.

 

“I don’t think you can keep up.”

 

“We’ll have to find out about that then.”

 

 

 

 

That was how the couple ended up in one of the best clubs in Itaewon.

 

But not before Mark giving Jinyoung lectures on how one should at least eat something before getting booze into their system. They had a quick dinner, a walk at the Han River (because Jinyoung insisted that the party won’t start as soon as 10PM). They enjoyed each other’s company; Mark talked more about the people he worked with at the diner and what life was back in America. Jinyoung told him all these funny stories that the hotel has come across. And before they know it, it was way past midnight. Jinyoung called home for his assigned driver, predicting that no way in hell was either of them going to drive the car in the state they would be in much, much later.

 

Mark could hear the foreign music thumping as they stepped closer to the club. He took longer, confident strides, knowing that Jinyoung would be his best back up, to reach the doormen.

 

He smiled a little, hoping that he didn’t look all too cute, because that would ruin things. The doormen glared down at him in return. Jinyoung was already pulling him from behind. “Trust me, Jinyoung.”

 

“Mr. Doorman,” he whispered close to the one guarding the door, “that’s Park Jinyoung of Haru Hotel. I’m his boyfriend, and he doesn’t think that I could dance his off.” With ease, Mark slipped a 100$ into the doorman’s suit pocket. “I should probably go in and prove him wrong now, shouldn’t I?”

 

The stern look on the man’s face changed, a small smirk was gone as soon as it arrived. “He is wrong.” Then, the door was wide open for them and Mark pulled Jinyoung in, into the darkness.

 

The multicoloured flashing lights were sprinkled everywhere, the light rays reflecting all around the building. It was crowded that night. Not knowing where what was, Mark used his instinct to guide them both to the bar. Dancing sweaty bodies pressed and rubbed against them, he even felt a hand groping his , but Mark ignored that. They shouldn’t mind that though; it probably was the quickest path to get across the room. The bartender was friendly enough, asking them what they would like for a drink.

 

“Double tequila,” Mark shouted.

 

“Make that two,” Jinyoung followed after.

 

The drinks were served right in front of them. They each took theirs and Mark offered a love shot. They did it and the first sharp taste hit Mark so hard. He had been out of the alcohol drinking game for quite a while.

 

“You,” Mark pointed at his boyfriend, “stay here, while I show you how it’s done.”

 

Jinyoung nodded. Yeap, definitely love tipsy Mark.

 

Although it wasn’t obvious, a visible path led Mark to his way on the very center and the song turned to Justin Timberlake’s yback. “All right,” Mark whispered to himself.

 

With slow strides, Mark chanted in is head ‘I’m a predator, I’m a predator’. The situation would have been funny if he was in a different situation. But here he was, trying to seduce the younger man across the room. He turned around, fingers snapping to the sound as he got on a firm stand. He searched for a specific pair of brown eyes, though in the darkness, everything looks the same.

 

Mark found his target, locked his gaze with Jinyoung’s, his body starting on a feverish wave. He left the younger’s smoldering gaze to head down the younger man’s body, and continued his vision path until they stop at a certain point and went back up. Once the lyric started, Mark began dancing with firm and precise movements.

 

Every step was done with care, but not an exact calculation, it was captivating but it doesn’t have to be perfect. With palms pressed on his own dress shirt, his fingers popped a couple of buttons, gaining audience with his little tease. He caught Jinyoung’s attention again; Mark bit his lip as the younger man sported a dark look.

 

A few women and men tried to join Mark, but he maneuvered his way away from them. But one of them was very insisting that Mark’s field of vision was interrupted. Casual s were inevitable, but then, there were a pair that held on to the curve of his hips, pulling him back to a firm chest.

 

“Back off, he’s mine,” the man behind him growled even on the inaudible dance floor.

 

He knew that voice from anywhere, definitely. Mark smiled with triumph, grinded sensually and grabbed the hands that held him. He ignored the stranger before him, knowing that what he wanted has presented itself (or himself) and that was the only thing he wanted to impress. Mark turned around to finally face Jinyoung. His gaze was dark, hooded with hands firm around Mark’s waist. Jinyoung pulled them closer into an embrace.

 

“Where did you learn that?”

 

“Back in the States, when I actually had free time.”

 

“Well, that was amazing.”

 

“Thank you,” Mark whispered back, nibbling parts of Jinyoung’s neck.

 

The younger man groaned, “if you don’t stop, I don’t know if I could.”

 

“Should I? Really?”

 

The air was knocked out of Mark when their lips smashed. Jinyoung’s hands now grabbing on to Mark’s bum, pulling them closer than possible, and oh Mark detected a little situation going on in his crotch area. He grinned in their kiss. Mark was left unsatisfied still with Jinyoung’s lips, when the younger man started kissing his jawline, then on the thin skin of his neck. Mark tilted his head back, relishing himself in the moment of pleasure. Mark’s hands made their way down south, against the smooth fabric of Jinyoung’s dress shirt, halted on his pants belt, then to that situation he felt earlier on. A finger tread on the layer of clothing slowly, then another two fingers joined, and then his palm was pressed on the hard on. Jinyoung bucked in his touvh. Mark could feel Jinyoung against him and he pulled the younger man back up to look at him.

 

“Here?”

 

“Home,” the reply came, “no one can look at you but me,” Jinyoung’s voice thick with hoarseness.

 

“I like the sound of that.” 

 

 

 

 

“I love you, Jinyoung. I love you so, very much,” Mark said, as he kissed the younger man’s temple.

 

“I love you too, hyung. Always have, always will,” even in his slumber, Jinyoung managed to mumble back.

 

Mark hugged Jinyoung with all his might and the younger didn’t even fight back for air.

 

 

 

 

 

“Mark, you there?” Jinyoung was fully awake when the sun is at its peak.

 

He didn’t get to sleep until it was dawn, really, either of them did. It was one of the best nights of his life, heck, probably the best.

 

He walked down the stairs, to a dining table of delicious food. “Mark? Hyung? Are you in the shower?”

 

He tried the bathroom, knowing all too well that the older man doesn’t practice any form of door locking. None, he found no one in there. He searched high and low for the other guy. He was nowhere to be found. Jinyoung approached the dining table, with the food displayed like art. There was a small note stuck on the pot cover.

 

“Follow the blue notes, babe. The first clue is my favourite –gasm place.”

 

He finally noticed that there were blue notes lying here and there, usual of Mark to remind him of this and that. He wondered to the bathroom again, reminded of how the showerhead was kind of Mark’s thing. He got in, looked around, and saw a blue note stuck to the mirror.

 

“Remember when I came over the first time? Yeah, I said I’m in love with your showerhead. Second clue is your wardrobe, the dress shirt that I love wearing.” And so, Jinyoung set his journey off in search for the blue notes accordingly. He got to the walk-in closet and got to the sky blue dress shirt, indeed another note.

 

Mark sent Jinyoung all over the house, making him search high and low, going back to old memories yet he was nowhere to be found. Jinyoung has quite a stack of them in his hand when he was directed to the last place, the balcony connected to the kitchen. Beside the tiny pots of Mark’s herbs, was a midsize box. He crouched to get it and brought it back inside.

 

He opened the box and inside, there was a lock – the one they made at Namsan Tower – a small box and a letter. On top of the small box, there was a huge ‘ME FIRST’. He opened the box, expecting to see another box. Box-inception?! But he was met with a necklace, a bracelet and a ring. There was a note below those items.    

 

I have completely fallen for you. Everything you do, say. You’re my first thought in the morning, my last before I fall asleep and almost every thought in between.

 

“Ey, hyung is being so cheesy now, is he trying to prove that he is better?”

 

Jinyoung picked up the cross necklace, scrutinizing it with care. The necklace must have cost Mark a lot, he must compensate with a better present. The bracelet was next. Now that he remembered, it was the one Mark bought at their impromptu trip to Andong. The ring had a relatively simple design, an eternity sign engraved from one end to another. The padlock then had something sweet written on it: “I wish I could turn back the clock. I’d find you sooner and love you longer. M + J.”

 

The letter was the last one. Jinyoung had a weird feeling about it. He unfolded it with hesitant hands.

 

“To my dearest Park Jinyoung,

           Hyung is being super cheesy today, I surprised you didn’t I? Well, I don’t always get to do this, so yeah, I should at least do something for you. Although it’s not something big, I hope you liked it. First things first, I want you to know that I, Mark Tuan, love you with all my life and I will probably love no other like this. I am thankful that you came to the diner, and that I was the one serving your booth. Our first night at my place, I was kind of surprised. I lied to you about a lot of things. I lied about being with so many guys; in fact you’re the second one I have ever been with. I lied about being able to drive, well, I failed my driving license twice and I was going to do another one, but I ran away. I lied about not being hungry, because honestly, I am famished almost all the time. I lied about dancing a little bit; I was actually in the cheerleading team. And I lied to you about going to the grocery a little while ago.

          I trust you enough to know that you’ll be fine. Please don’t go through the trouble of finding me. Promise me, that you won’t come all the way to wherever I am. I want you just to look over me, prettily, and take care of yourself. I want you to be successful, like how you have always wanted. I will work hard. I will always love you. Well, I would keep track of you and be jealous of the men and women who would probably start flaunting themselves around you since I am no longer around. Don’t be a meanie to the camera and smile always okay. I love your beautiful smile, and I will always miss it. Be good, make your parents proud and bring Haru to bigger scale, okay. It’s okay to move on and forget me, I understand.

Your heart and soul,

Mark Tuan"

 


Did you miss me? Hehe. Sorry I neglected this baby for a long time. College has been so soul-. But oh well here's a 5.5K words to compensate and tell you how sorry I am. Talk to me, I'll reply, always. Love the readers. So encouraging. Right, I shall take my leave. Boarding the plane later on. Later, awesome people