Tremaine

Have We Met?

An opened balcony door can be a revelation to a person who doesn’t get up at dawn, like Mark himself. In the spring morning, the birds were singing like mad. It wasn’t quite light yet, so Mark settled himself back down and closed his eyes. The intermittent, high pitched but pleasant sound was lulling Mark as he listened. He didn’t have to turn his head to the other side to know that Jinyoung was in deep sleep.

 

Mark wondered what would happen once Jinyoung wakes up. Would he start being all possessive and take Mark to each and every function there is he has to attend? Or would he finally regret his decision, go back to the usual deal and just send Mark back to the bus station and never contact him again? Come to think of it, they never really exchanged phone numbers either.

 

The waiter doesn’t believe in love, so how was he to return one – if ever given to him. Mark doesn’t understand what it was, that squeezed and poked his heart that it hurt, but the thought of not seeing Jinyoung – as he would simply put it – would . He doesn’t understand why he kissed the younger man at the ceremony entrance when Jinyoung told him that Suji and Soohyun were the people he knew and once trusted. See how easily people could betray you? And that time when Jinyoung finally confronted the bride and groom, he was angry, but Jinyoung, Jinyoung stayed calm like it didn’t hurt him one bit. Why, Park Jinyoung? Was it so easy for you? Was it easy for you to accept people leaving you behind like you mattered nothing?

 

He met Jinyoung’s Mother, thinking all mothers would be the same, but she proved him wrong. Why did she pull him into a hug before they parted ways? Why did she laugh so much at Mark’s witty comments like she’s never heard them before? Why would she be so welcoming of another man’s presence who would maybe one day take her son away? And, and the way she held his hands like he meant something, the way she cared for him even in those few hours, why did she even bother?

 

Is that what it feels like to have a Mother? Mark didn’t know. The last time he saw his own Mother was years ago, and even then, he was the one who decided to run away from her and came to Korea. She would never find him here, Mark was safe.

 

But deep, deep – oh you’d have to dig really deep – in his heart, to the very core of Mark’s soul, he was dying to see his own Mother, to mend whatever was left of their irreversibly broken relationship.

 

His head was hurting, too much thinking was going on, and too many feelings were involved. Mark snuggled up next to Jinyoung, and the younger’s scent was the last thing he smelt before drifting back to sleep. 

 

 

 

The sun seeping through the curtains woke him. Jinyoung was lying on his side, staring at the wall. He noticed how white washed and empty it is, even after staring at it for years. He rolled to his back, hoping that he could stare at Mark before the elder gets up. But everything there was to hope for crushed down when there was no one there beside Jinyoung.

 

He got up with ease and looked around; nothing, it was all silent. The bed sheet looked proper, as if nothing happened and Jinyoung’s place was the only part crumpled. Even the bedspread was neatly tucked in. The younger man was alarmed then, Mark was nowhere to be found. He picked up a dress shirt that was neatly folded on the bedside table, not caring how messed up the buttoning process was. His focus was only on one thing and it was to find the older man.

 

He checked the closet, the terrace, and no sign of red hair. He went down the stairs, but no one was at the balcony or the kitchen or at his worktable. In all his half- glory, Jinyoung was about to run out of his own place until he could hear faint voices and sound coming from the bathroom!

 

Ah, yes, that’s right. Mark did mention his love for my bathroom.

 

Honestly, Jinyoung was worried that Mark would walk away after their sudden not-so-much-of-a confession last night. Was it a confession? What would happen from this point on? Questions put aside for later on, now, Jinyoung is a man on a mission.

 

He tried for the door, and unfortunately Mark had left it unlocked. He stepped in, noticing Mark who was indulged in his own world, his back towards Jinyoung. He tiptoed towards the towel rack, making sure not to make a single sound and grabbed the towel that was hung there.

 

“Mark, I see you’ve gotten all friendly with my bathroom now,” Jinyoung commented and it was replied with an off pitched scream.

 

The older man didn’t turn to face Jinyoung, hand wildly searching for his towel. Jinyoung laughed at the act.

 

“Looking for this maybe?” He placed the towel around his head into a makeshift scarf.

 

Mark turned his head without having to turn his body. Jinyoung was obviously ogling the back view he provided. No complaints there, girls.

 

“Ahaha, Jinyoung, didn’t hear you come in. Yes, indeed I was, but since you’re here, I guess our friendly session has just been cut off. What a shame.”

 

“What a shame indeed,” Jinyoung nodded while he approached the other man, “wait, don’t tell me you’re shy all of a sudden. I didn’t expect that.”

 

Jinyoung saw how the muscles on his back rippled as he inhaled and exhaled. The older man turned fully towards him.

 

“I don’t get a lot of morning after with my previous conquests. Now stop talking and get in here.”

 

“Your wish is my command, Princess,” Jinyoung smirked and it was replied with an equally naughty smile thrown by the other man under the running water.

 

 

 

“So, what was that about, you were a journalist who interviewed me during a press conference?” Jinyoung asked as he slid a plate of omurice over to Mark.

 

“Is this the part where you interrogate me and pity me right after?”

 

“Mark, I–”

 

“Hyung,” he added.

 

Jinyoung shook his head but complied no less, “Mark hyung, I’m not that kind hearted. I’m all ears and I could at least get to know you a little.”

 

“Fine,” he stabbed the egg, “but let me eat first. My back is in pain and I hate that smirk.”

 

“Yes, Princess,” but the reply was attacked by a flying kimchi.

 

They ate in comfortable silence. The only sound that overlapped with the clanking of utensils against plates was the traffic a few feet below them.

 

Jinyoung really didn’t ask the elder anything and he just ate. He prayed that the meal he cooked wouldn’t kill either of them. He did follow Kyungsoo’s instructions, so surely there would be no harm. Mark offered to clean up and Jinyoung hummed in agreement but still he followed the other. When the elder was done wiping his hands and stacking up the last piece of plate, Jinyoung grabbed his wrist and headed outside to the balcony where they both sat down right opposite of one another.

 

“You really are persistent aren’t you?”

 

“Unless you’re going to tell me that you actually come from a rich family and run away to be independent, then, yes, I am persistent in knowing about you.”

 

“Fine by me, you’ll fall asleep in a few seconds,” Mark warned, but Jinyoung kept his gaze towards the elder.

 

Inhaling, Mark began.

 

“It was just the usual. I was born; don’t know who my father is and I lived with my Mom. Mom wasn’t much of a mother. She never really attended parent-teacher meeting day, or sports day, or career day. I mean, even for field trips or season programs; I forged her signature like a boss. I almost didn’t graduate when she decided to take me out the night before my exams and it was a hell of a party. I shouldn’t get into details, but the booze, weed and boys were amazing. You should have been there with me! And that was the last night I’ve ever seen Mom. She didn’t even make it to my graduation day. But that aside, no one really bothered about me until I graduated top 10 in my grade with red eyes and reeked of weed. I guess I was high back then that I answered everything so well without my own consent. It was really funny, how the other students and teachers reacted. But, ahh, Miss Montez was the only one who believed in my potential. I worked my off too back then, had a lot in my savings.

 

Miss Montez helped me with college application and she got me into USC. Funny right? I don’t even know I wanted to be a journalist. I mean, I could have done anything, but I’ve always wanted to travel around and learn new things; snoop into celebrity lives or go to dangerous sites without being questioned. Then, this ‘friend of Mom’ appeared and said that Mom owed him a lot of money. Didn’t know she would let herself get involved with some lowly gang, but they raided my house and took everything away and even asked for money. I didn’t want to give away all of my savings, but they threatened to kill my Mom. I couldn’t say I love her, but I didn’t hate her, so I withdrew all of my money, ran to the airport and chose whichever flight that was available at that time. So, here I am; college dropout who’s working his off just to pay his monthly rent for the rest of his life.”

 

“Well, don’t you want to go back to journalism school?”

 

“Where do I get the money to do so? Even if I do get the money, I’ll graduate, then what? Write some confession column for a newspaper company or maybe write tabloids. I’ll never make it. I’ll never be anything.”

 

“That’s not true. I think you’d be great as a journalist. You’ll be successful if you out your effort into it. You’ve got to forgive your past. Your Mom, she might not have been the best, but there are so many others out there who doesn’t even have one.”

 

Mark was quiet. Jinyoung was worried that he stepped on boundaries he shouldn’t have.

 

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. It’s your life after all. But, you could be make it, I honestly think you would.”

 

“Yeah, I’m sure I could make it! And then I’ll be a super journalist and no one can say no to me!” He was clapping and the wide smile seemed weird.

 

“You’re mocking me, aren’t you?”

 

“When in doubt, Jinyoung, I’m always mocking you.”

 

“Hey, you have a fear of success. Failing once or twice is not wrong, Mark.”

 

“I do not. Now, Oprah,” Mark pushed himself up, the chair beneath him creaked a little, “I have to get back to reality. It was a pleasure knowing you and your lovely parents.”

 

“Wait, what?! You’ve got to be kidding me, Mark! You’re not going anywhere.”

 

“Jinyoung, you and I both know this is not going to work. Beside you, I’m still a no one. I’m just that penniless waiter from Hae’s Diner. You’re rich and powerful, I’m nobody from nowhere. I don’t know Jinyoung, how it feels like to be Cinderella when I’ve been the evil stepmother, ugly and evil all along! Well, I shall end this right here, right now,” and he held out a hand for Jinyoung to shake.

 

“You’re even fearful of the thought of relationship?”

 

“Don’t leave me hanging, Jinyoung.”

 

“I’m not going to end it here.”

 

“You don’t have to pay me. I’ll be fine. It was fun and if you do pay me, I’ll feel like a e. Good bye, Park Jinyoung.”

 

Jinyoung still sat on the iron chair, frozen when Mark left his penthouse with a soft shut of the front door. He finally registered the situation and got his mobile phone out. Pressing the speed dial, he put it on speaker.

 

“Hello.”  

 

“Jimin, I need access to my private account tomorrow. Find Mark Tuan’s account number.”

 

“Eh, isn’t he supposed to give it to us, Sir?”

 

“Enjoy your Sunday, Jimin.” And he ended the call.

 

“Mark Tuan, I’m willing to buy you an island just to get your attention.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bus halted at its heavily pebbled, potholed tar road bus station. It was late at night when he arrived, but Mark couldn’t find in himself to feel pity for the two people who came in their second-hand car.

 

“Hey, Mark, you alright, man?”

 

“Yeah, Jackson, I’m okay. Were you guys waiting for a long time?”

 

“Nope, we arrived 5 minutes before you. Come on, get in the car,” Jackson said and Mark followed the younger man.

 

“I’d apologize for the late night favour, but I’m too pissed off to even feel sorry for myself.”

 

“It’s cool. You’re my hyung after all.”

 

Youngji was waving wildly when they were approaching the silver Elantra. “Oppa, hi! Aren’t you too late for the walk of shame?”

 

“Honey, this is my walk of fame,” Mark responded and it got the girl into a silent laughter.

 

“Oh, by the way, hyung, your face was on TV a few hours ago. What was the headline again, Youngji-ah?”

 

“It went like ‘Haru’s 3rd generation General Manager Appeared with an Unknown Man at a Wedding.’ Then the lady announcer said some stuff like you guys kissed at the entrance, met Park Jinyoung’s parents and spent the night together. I’d say you had a hell of a night, oppa!”

 

“And it happened while I was sleeping on the bus?”

 

“Guess so. I went on Naver. And you were the most searched online: ‘Park Jinyoung and Red Head.’ You guys look so good together; I don’t even know who I should envy, you or him. So are you dating now?”

 

“Just red head? They should have tacked y, hot or maybe mysterious. These people are so dull. And to answer your question, Youngji, no, we are not.”

 

“Really? Because the response from Haru’s General Manager rep was different.”

 

“Different? How so?”

 

“Here, look,” Youngji tapped a few times on her phone and showed Mark the screen for him to watch.

 

Mark could see Jimin making an exit from Jinyoung’s place, the revolving doors that he went through just this afternoon.

 

  •  “Park Jimin-ssi. What does your employer have to say about his relationship with this mystery man? Where are they right now?”
  • “The General Manager would like to keep this matter private.”
  • “Then are they really dating?”
  • “As you’ve seen their appearance together at Mr. and Mrs. Kim’s wedding, Mr. Park is in a relationship with the man.”

 

“What?! Park Jinyoung, I told you, didn’t I?!”

 

“Chill, hyung, it might be beneficial for Hae’s Diner. The people here know you and love you. Business will be great and we’ll get better tips and higher pay.”

 

“Just to see me?”

 

“Yeah, you’re the celebrity lover after all.”

 

“Well, too bad, I’m not.”

 

“That’s your lost then, hyung. You could be making good money out of his popularity.”

 

Their conversation eased when Jackson stopped the car.

 

“See you guys tomorrow, then. Thanks for the ride, Jackson. Good night, love birds. Don't sleep too late, I’m not going to cover your , Jackson!”

 

“Got it, hyung! See you tomorrow!”

 

Once the silver painted car zoomed off, Mark walked up to his little house, trying his hardest to forget whatever it was he left at the big city.

 

“ you, Park Jinyoung, I’m the evil stepmother.”

 

 

 

It wasn’t until a week later that whatever it was he left in the big city came haunting back for him.

 

“Hey, Mark. Your boyfriend just e-mailed me, personally, like thee Park Jinyoung just e-mailed me you how that is an honour since he’s so hot and everything, and to have his own e-mail address in my inbox, that is freaking amazing Mark, do you think I–”

 

“Donghae hyung, you’re in cloud nine again, please come back to Earth.”

 

“Ahh, yes, sorry about that Mark. It’s just that Jinyoung-ssi mentioned that he has a gift for you and the diner. Here’s the fax I just received. I didn’t read it since that would be a breach of your privacy. Here, take this and go play nicely with Jackson.”

 

“Eh, fax? He’s so old fashioned. But, thanks, boss.”

 

“No problem. Oh, and do tell Jinyoung my sincerest thank you for the money. You’ve worked hard, Mark. Show your boyfriend a little love, okay?”

 

“What even?”

 

Donghae was already absorbed by his work before Mark was able to ask him what he meant. He got out of the little office and headed for the kitchen, where Jackson sat with his mobile phone in hand. Mark unfolded the paper as he sat down beside the younger man.

 

“Here’s to Mark, for becoming Cinderella. You’re no longer the
evil stepmother, ugly and evil. You’ve now become beautiful and
amazing. Cheers, Prince Charming!”

 

And together with it, there was an attached print of Mark’s bank account balance.

 

“₩1, 124, 879, 529.40? You’ve got to be kidding me,” Mark muttered under his breath.

 

“What was that, hyung? You said something? Hey, what’s that paper?”

 

Mark was too stunned to explain it to Jackson that the younger man decided to take the paper and read it on his own. It only took the other waiter a few seconds until Mark heard Jackson, who helped Mark convert the current total in his bank account, which was–

 

“A million dollar and a few bucks of your own,” he gasped, voice a little off since his breathing was disturbed, “this is a million dollar.” 

 

“Hyung,” he gasped, “you have a million dollar.”

 

“Hyung,” he gasped, “you are a millionaire.”

 

“Hyung,” he looked like he was choking then, “please get me my inhaler.”

 

“You’re not suffering asthma, Jackson.”

 

“Brother, you’re a million dollar richer and I would fake asthma if I want to.”

 

“Well I need to talk to that little . I’m not some donation center. I don’t need his money, and I don’t want to be bloody Cinderella.”

 

“Hyung,” he started gasping again, “you’re gonna lose a million.”

 

“Jackson,” Mark got up, hands already undoing the apron he had on, “I’m heading to Haru. Can you please let Donghae hyung know that I’ll be away for a while and ask for a favour from Youngji to cover for me until I’m back. You guys can have my pay.”

 

“Hyung, your pay is nothing compared to those numbers in your bank account. Before you go, could you just let me hold that receipt one last time?”

 

“No, Jackson, I have to go now before the last bus leaves for the city.”

 

“Hyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuung,” and that was the last thing Mark heard when he left through the front door and Jongup did nothing other than give him a small wave as he passed by.

 

 

 

“Welcome, Sir. How may I help you?”

 

Mark was taken aback when a boy at the front desk greeted him. Mark bet that he was looking like a lost lamb among these posh people. Even the front desk clerk looked expensive. But he wasn’t going to back down.

 

“Hello, I’m looking for the General Manager. I have a complaint to make.”

 

At the mention of the General Manager, the boy dialed a number on the phone in front of him, requesting for the said man with hushed whisper.

 

“The General Manager could not make it for the time being. I’m afraid he is in a late meeting. It would end very soon. May I get your name, Sir?”

 

“Mark Tuan,” he replied.

The boy nodded and replied to the one who was on the other line. His feature seemed to change as the seconds tick by. He nodded furiously, eyes focused alternately between Mark and the phone’s cord. At one final nod, he placed the phone down carefully and his eyes widened when he looked back up towards Mark.

 

“Mr. Tuan, Haru apologizes for its staffs’ inefficiency. The Front Desk Manager will you to the General Manager’s room shortly.”

 

“Oh, okay, it’s no problem. Thanks,” Mark still couldn’t get a grip of what was going on even after the Front Desk Manager led him through the hallway of the exclusive hotel.

 

The other staff bowed low, not just towards the man in front of him but also towards Mark. It was peculiar, their behavior. They got into the elevator and up; up and away they went to a key card access floor. Jimin, if Mark wasn’t mistaken, was waiting by the door with a huge smile on his face like Mark was bringing Christmas forward. Jimin opened the door and directed his hand inside.

 

Oh, it was the stupid TV thingy I appeared on last week.

 

“Mr. Tuan, we’ve been waiting for your arrival. Please, come in.”

 

“Jinyoung’s in there? Are you not coming with me?”

 

His questions were responded with a nod and a shake of the head. Mark stepped into Haru’s General Manager’s office. The back of a huge black chair was the first thing he noticed after Mark walked in. the huge oak table looked majestic and too serious for Mark’s liking. The chair turned around, the two men finally met after a week.

 

“Welcome, Cinderella.”

 

Mark didn’t know how many times he mentioned that he hated that stupid smirk like it knows about so many things.

 

“ you, Prince Charming.”

 


It was the morning after that got the author herself all dreamy and wasted half the day just to put it into words which ended up in nothing. Originally I wanted to do a pillow fight morning after scene. My friends and I (the 3 s) talked about it and they were like ‘why tafakk would you want to slam your partner’s face with a pillow in the morning’ and ‘I’d be too tired to move around’ and don’t we all sound like we’ve all been there and done that? Sorry fpr the super late promised update. Internet died on me, but I was revived since we installed a new one at home. Fyi, Tremaine is Christell Tremaine, also known as Cinderella's stepmother