Listen

Have We Met?

Staring unblinkingly at the man opposite of him, Mark was ready to go on an all-out war with the young General Manager. Words stopped their exchange when Mark dropped the f-bomb. Jinyoung was stock still on his chair, with that goddamn smirk wrecking Mark each and every second.

 

 

The younger man’s fingers then disrupted Mark’s focus when they danced across the table, towards the sleek, black office phone on the table.

 

 

“Jimin, get me two glasses of orange juice, thanks,” the manager’s eyes were trained on Mark’s despite giving his assistant an order.

 

 

“Roger that, boss. Two glasses coming up.” And other than the teasing assistant’s reply, the office was silent, save for the soft buzz of the air purifier.

 

 

Jimin arrived two or so minutes later, with a tray of two glasses filled to the brim. He placed them with care on the table, looked at Mark, who was still rooted to his initial spot. Eh, how rude of boss. But the assistant kept his thought to himself. He turned his gaze to his employer and gave a slight nod towards their visitor. The corner of Jinyoung’s lips twitched, already internally planning an interview for a new private assistant. The assistant who was fully aware of Jinyoung’s reaction, rushed his way out of the office.

 

 

“Please, Mark, take a seat,” Jinyoung sounding more like he was commanding Mark to do so.

 

 

The elder man huffed in annoyance, but in finality, he sat down on one of Jinyoung’s office couches, taking the main seat which was supposedly the manager’s seat. Jinyoung shook his head at Mark’s attempt to annoy him. For sure it wasn’t working.  

 

 

“Honestly, Jinyoung. Didn’t we agree upon this as a one-time thing? I was just going to help you fool your ex. You pay me a pretty sum, and we end it, once and for all. But no, you decided it was smart to not just put a million dollar in my bank account, but apparently funded Donghae hyung’s diner and neither you nor your representative made any statement to deny our relationship. Honestly, Jinyoung?”

 

 

“Mark, you ran out my door just like that, we didn’t even talk it out properly. Yes, we did agree upon you helping me out. But it could have been someone else. What if I didn’t travel all the way out here? What if I didn’t stop by the diner? What if it was someone else who served me?”

 

 

“Then it would have been some other guy or girl in your arms right now.”

 

 

“Fate brought me to you.”

 

 

“Fate, my foot, your logic is basically bull, Park Jinyoung. And please, take your one million and shove it somewhere else, because I’m not your freaking donation center.”

 

 

“You don’t get it, do you, Mark? I thought to myself, hey, I have to fake this however to get it going in the beginning, but ever since you were by my side, I don’t feel like I have to fake anything. It feels natural with you. If anything, the money is nothing compared to the time I had with you.”

 

 

“No, Jinyoung, it’s all wrong. You can’t buy me with your money. I don’t belong in your world. You’re all rich, famous, and your parents, they’re such great people but we fooled them.”

 

“My parents adore you, Mark.”

 

“While I’m a runaway, lost, and poor guy who has no rights whatsoever to stay in your perfect little world.”

 

 

“Does it matter?”

 

 

“Well it does to me.”

 

 

“Well I don’t care.”

 

 

“You know what, this is going nowhere. I’ll never win you. You’re probably the worst negotiator anyone would come across. I’ll just spend the money and be gone from your life. I hope you’re happy now that I’m accepting your damn money.”

 

 

Mark took it as his cue to leave the room. He got up with a huff and turned towards the doors. Jinyoung appeared to be as if he was prepared for this kind of attitude coming from Mark as he got to his feet and grabbed Mark by his wrist.

 

 

“At least, let me drive you back. I hope you’re aware that there are no more busses headed to your part of the town,” Jinyoung informed, pulling Mark who was trying to free himself off Jinyoung’s vice-like grip.

 

 

“Why are you trying to dictate my life, Park Jinyoung?!”

 

 

“I am not,” he sighed in defeat, “I’m trying to make things right. The deal was bull, and I’m trying to fix whatever that has gone wrong between us.”

 

 

“Running away seems like the most logical thing as of now, for me. But, , why can’t you stay away from me? And why can’t I run away?”

 

 

“Then don’t, Mark, don’t.”

 

 

“As I told you before, of course, this is going no-ing-where. “

 

 

“Fine, I’ll stop. Please, just let me send you home; the last time I’ll ever bother you.”

 

 

“I’ll never win against you, will I?”

 

 

Jinyoung didn’t reply as he led the way for their exit and Jimin bowed when they passed by him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mark didn’t know what was going on or even where he was as he rubbed his eyes from sleep and crusts and stared out the car window, towards their current surrounding. They stopped by the roadside, his eyes wildly searching around for their current coordinate.

 

 

It rendered him speechless when Mark had to mentally backtrack to what happened, because the last thing he remembered during their drive was Jinyoung stopped at a gas station to take a freaking piss because he couldn’t hold it in any longer and had to fuel up the car. He even bought snacks for both of them, coffee included for Jinyoung himself and that was when Mark fell asleep with the lull of Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake playing in the audio.

 

 

The ‘WELCOME TO ANDONG’ sign – as if mock-scream in his face – was a large carving on the other side of the road announcing how far, far away they were from his home.

 

 

Mark then turned towards the driver, in hopes that he could hit some sense into the other guy, probably some bruises and cut lip would do. But it was the cramped foetal-position Jinyoung sported took half of his anger away. Mark took the time to stare at Jinyoung’s face. His brows were almost joined together by the frown he has on his face, nose crinkled. It would have been an ugly sight, but the usual chilled Jinyoung doesn’t look this, this tired…worried. Well, Jinyoung does hold a high position for someone his age. He must have had a lot to worry about.

 

 

Just then, Mark’s phone vibrated. He flipped it open. Don’t judge, flip phones are cheap and classic. Plus, you get to flip them close, hard, when you wanna go -mode. It was a text from an unsaved number.

 

 

From : 010 02 6XXX XXXX

Dearest Mark hyung, I’m sorry for this invasion of privacy.
This would be General Manager’s much needed trip.
He may not say it, but he is at his fatigue point.
Please bear with him even for a few hours.

Park Jimin

 

 

Guilt washed over him. It may not have changed the real situation, but Mark had been really selfish all this while. All Jinyoung needed was a distraction from the tiring, energy-consuming life of being a leader; a getaway that he couldn’t find the time to do so for himself. Yet, here he was: ‘kidnapping’ Mark to probably the southern state of the Republic just to convince him to stay. Mark had been ultimately undeniably rudely selfish and ignored Jinyoung’s needs. He sighed deeply. Time to make up for it Mark, even just for a while.

 

 

“Jinyoung, if you’re sane and awake, please tell me you’re not joking,” Mark pleaded when he heard the restlessness over the driver’s side.

 

 

A few pop of muscles, a groan ensued and a muffled yawn later, Mark received his reply.

 

 

“I’d love to be funny, but, no, we’re in Andong and I’m not joking.”

 

 

“How do I get back?” He tried to sound depressed and annoyed, he tried. But Mark thought he, himself sounded like he has given up all hopes to fight back.

 

 

“Well, there’s a bus station here somewhere, I don’t know. Taxis aren’t that much at this time of the day. I guess you’re stuck with me then.”

 

 

Jinyoung was stretching his neck, to the left, then to the right added with a few soft punches to his neck to relieve some of the stiffness from sleeping in the car.

 

 

“I guess so. Where are we going to, exactly?”

 

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

 

“Not really, but if we’re going any further, I’d take a piss first.”

 

 

“I’d second that. Now, let me just get the engine started.”

 

 

Mark felt his resolve slowly slipping away, though not evident, he knew it was.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mark and Jinyoung both were swept into a whirlwind of historical era as they arrived at the entrance of Hahoe Folk Village after they passed the bridge over Maegokgyo. There were totems lining the side of the road called changseung by the locals there. Jinyoung would have looked like a lost wolf among the other lambs in this part of the countryside had he wore his suit. But he was thankful that he took Mark’s advice.

 

 

“It says here that we are closest to the mask museum. We should go take a look there,” Jinyoung said as he pointed towards the map they received from the friendly foreigner who had an extra and the two of them looked like they would need one.

 

 

“Aren’t you hungry though? From last night’s coffee and snacks, plus we didn’t even eat this morning. This calls for early lunch,” Mark asked as he looked around, relieved that the place wasn’t that crowded. Thank God for weekday human-traffic ease.

 

 

“Well, are you?”

 

 

“Not really, nope.”

 

 

“In that case, I’m not hung –” and the unceremonious grumble of Jinyoung’s very own stomach was audible, his lying attempt a failure.

 

 

“On second thought, I probably am. Famished, even. Come on, I’ll choose and pay, okay? I’m a millionaire after all,” Mark walked ahead of him with when the older man passed by with a wink.

 

 

Jinyoung felt himself blush. Damn empty stomach.

 

 

Mark headed for one of the busiest restaurants out off all of them, just because. The place was a modest set up beside the pavilion and they were welcomed by a girl in her 20’s with menus in her hands.

 

 

“What do you recommend, miss?” Mark looked up from their seated position, offered the girl a smile and she blushed.    

 

 

“O-our specialty is t-the steamed chi-chicken jjimbak,” the girl stuttered, she sighed and inhaled then exhaled, “I’d also recommend on kohng gooksu for this kind of weather as our cold noodles is probably the best!” She said with both her thumbs held up.

 

 

Mark nodded, “great, we’ll take two servings of kohng gookse and one jjimbak, please. Oh, and two ice tea would do, thanks.”

 

 

“Coming right up, dear customers!”

 

 

Jinyoung kept himself quiet all the while when Mark ordered. He watched the other man in silence. It was kind of weird since he wasn’t even saying anything to Jinyoung. Nor did he curse at him, or even insulted him.

 

 

“Hey, Mark,” he started after a few minutes.

 

 

Mark kept himself busy with the few brochures they took from the nearby office but replied Jinyoung with a short hum.

 

 

“Why…aren’t you saying anything? I was expecting for you to maybe have a go at me, blame me for where we are right now.”

 

 

“What do you want me to do, Jinyoung? Does throwing this bottle of soy sauce at you going to teleport me all the way to my hometown? Does pinching your cheek with these goddamn chopsticks is going to make you drive us all the way back? And does smacking you with steamed chicken going to make you realize how absurd it is even to think that I’m going to lash out on you?”

 

 

Jinyoung laughed, he actually laughed for real until a few people started staring at them and Mark had to poke him with his own foot to shut him up.

 

 

“You weren’t going to lash out on me after all?”

 

 

“No, okay, no. Happy?”

 

 

“I’ll take what I can get for now.”

 

 

The chattering of the other customers, the clinking of utensils against soup pot were the sounds that engulfed the two men when their conversation ceased. Mark gave the brochures his undivided attention again.

 

 

“So, how have you been?” Mark asked, without looking up.

 

 

“Me? Yeah, I’ve been good. I mean, at Haru it’s been –”

 

 

“No work talks. Haru, managing, projects, hotels; are words that you shouldn’t – no – mustn’t use while we’re here.”

 

 

“Oh, hmm, okay, I guess. Aside from dot-dot-dot, I’ve done nothing interesting. Been stuck in office ever since you left; I don’t know. This talk would bore the out of you.”

 

 

“Well, let me just fill you in what happened to me. Ever since the news about you and me, I’ve become somewhat of a hometown sweetheart. People started pouring into the diner, Donghae hyung have been superbly happy, Jackson was leeching of whatever ‘fame’ I have and suddenly I received this so-called fax from my employer. I was suddenly a millionaire and Jackson started having fake asthma attack.”

 

 

“This Jackson boy, he sounds funny. Was he the other waiter at the diner?”

 

 

“Yup, that’s him.”

 

 

Before they could continue on their conversation, the girl who served them came with a large tray of steamed chicken, two bowls and two glasses of ice tea.

 

 

“Enjoy your meal!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They headed for the masks museum. Half of a floor from the two-floor building featured Korean masks. Jinyoung got to try on a 300-year-old mask and Mark took a picture of him without the younger man noticing. As they continued, the rest of the museum was filled with masks from other countries and by the end of the mask tour; they were all invited to watch the free hour-long mask dance-and-drama theatre.

 

 

Jinyoung undeniably had a good laugh while explaining some of the satire over for Mark. There was a moment when the hunter offered the audience the bull’s balls that he just castrated, with the said bull lying helplessly in the background. Mark didn’t need explaining there, he was laughing aloud with Jinyoung.

 

 

Then there was the who dressed in blue and yellow hanbok with the lecherous monk. Hell, it was one of a risqué scene. Jinyoung explained in his laughter about their conversation and Mark ended up being the last one to laugh. There was even an act on the drunkard and the jester. Although he didn’t understand everything fully, Mark was glad that Jinyoung had fun. He bet that he was watching Jinyoung more than he watched the show.

 

 

The sun was up high that afternoon; Mark was able to feel his shirt sticking to his back. Jinyoung was fanning himself too, feeling the heat crawling on his body.

 

 

“Young men, why don’t you save yourselves from the heat and buy this old lady’s umbrellas?” A soft voice called out from the side and they both looked at the lady.

 

 

She had an assortment of goods which included old fashioned umbrellas, fans, trinkets and even toys. There was even an assortment of accessories and Mark caught sight of mask-braided bracelets.

 

 

“Come, come, and see what I can offer you. What would you like to buy other than this umbrella?”

 

 

“I’ll take these two,” Mark said when he held up a pair of the bracelets that caught his sight.

 

 

Jinyoung looked at him with a raised brow.

 

 

“What? These are from Jackson and Youngji, okay,” Mark defended himself.

 

 

“Oh, I didn’t say anything. Alright, ma’am, we’ll take an umbrella and those bracelets.”

 

 

Without another word, Mark beat Jinyoung when he held out the money to the old lady. He took all their stuff and left without taking a change.

 

 

“Please keep the change, ma’am, and may your business grow!” Mark shouted as he grabbed onto Jinyoung’s hand and made a run for it, ignoring the old lady calling out to them.

 

 

They kept running until they couldn’t see the old lady and finally decided to stop, both catching their breath and laughing.

 

 

“Oh, you sure are living the life, aren’t you, Mark?” Jinyoung gasped in between his words.

 

 

“Oh, you know, perks of being a millionaire,” and he winked at the younger man.

 

 

They both laughed at each other and that was when Mark noticed he had been holding Jinyoung’s hand. Jinyoung too saw it, and as inconsiderate he has been the past week, he let go of Mark’s hand. Mark hid the disappointment as quickly as possible and looked down to open their umbrella.

 

 

Mark held it up with one hand at the end; his other hand grabbed Jinyoung’s hand and pulled him closer. Mark thought that the pinkish tinge on Jinyoung’s cheek was not just from the summer heat.   

 

 

“Eww, your fingers are sweating, Mark.”

 

 

“Shut up, Jirongie.”

 

 

They kept on walking until they reached the well-known Bukchon. The tourists crowded the external of the building, blocked by the bar at the very entrance. Jinyoung pulled Mark this time around – umbrella not in use as the Sun was not as blazing hot as a few hours ago – making their way towards Bukchondaek, pass the throng of tourists and pass the bar that blocked any outsiders. Mark started to panic when he heard the chatter behind him and a built man approaching them. He grabbed onto Jinyoung’s dress shirt.

 

 

“Jinyoung, we’re trespassing,” he hissed.

 

 

“Who cares?” The younger man replied then turned towards the other man who probably guarded the building.

 

 

“Hello. I’m Park Jinyoung. I believe my assistant, Park Jimin called earlier for a reservation,” Jinyoung introduced himself as they shook hands.

 

 

“Good day, Sir. I’m the son of the Bukchon’s owner. My father is out for a while and I’ll be in his place. It’s an honour to meet you in person, Mr. Park. We hope that we could serve you well. Please come this way.”

 

 

"And you'd think tricking me into things is nice?"

 

 

But Mark's question was answered with a small wink and Jinyoung took his hand into his, entertwining their fingers. Mark didn't even argue on that.

 

 

They were both directed into the place as they passed the Outer Buildings, the Grandfather’s Room bearing the largest in size among all the other rooms. The doors were then opened and they toed off their shoes to enter the exclusive guestroom.

 

 

“This is where you’ll be staying, as reserved. Dinner will be served in about 2 hours. You may look around the guesthouse as you please. If anything, please let me know. Enjoy your stay, Mr. Park.”

 

 

“Can we get a fresh set of clothes for change, please? The ones you see on dramas, like old couples wear to farm, those are the best. Thank you.”

 

 

“Ah, yes, I’ll get on to that. I’ll make my leave now.”

 

 

And they were left alone once again. Jinyoung slumped down on the hanok’s wooden floor, rolled around and in seconds, he was already snoring. How some people could sleep so easily is a big question to Mark. Mark looked around for the large wardrobe where the pillows and mattress are placed. He took a pillow out and went back to Jinyoung. With care, he lifted Jinyoung’s head and pushed the pillow just on time.

 

 

Mark left the room and decided to look around on his own. He came across the inner buildings that used to be where all the women stayed, but now is used as guestrooms. He saw the living room of the inner building and noticed how small of a door the building has. One probably has to bend down to enter the room. He walked around some more to come across the defunct kitchen with its large pots and pans organized neatly around the wooden layout.

 

 

“Hello, dear customer. I didn’t catch your name earlier. You were in Mr. Park’s company, weren’t you?”

 

 

Mark turned around to see the son’s owner with folded clothes carefully clasped in his hands.

 

 

“Ah, yes. You can call me Mark. Are those the clothes Jinyoung requested for?”

 

 

The young man replied with a nod, “yes, they are. I was about to head to the outer buildings.”

 

 

“Jinyoung’s sleeping right now. You can pass them to me,” Mark offered.

 

 

“I see. Well then, I guess I should leave these to you,” he approached Mark and handed the clothes, “I will be on my way then. See you around, Mark-ssi.”

 

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It wasn’t until after dinner; with Andong soju and snacks served that they finally settled back, clad in Jinyoung’s requested old couple farm clothes.

 

 

“You know, it was really by chance that I met you at the diner,” Jinyoung started, “in my mind, it was all about finding a guy to cover up the lie I made to my mother, to keep my pride intact and to not embarrass myself in front of my friends, let alone my ex-girlfriend.”

 

 

He paused to take a little sip from his cup.

 

 

“I was going to keep driving, but, yeah, hunger caught up with me. You were rude to me.”

 

 

“Hey, you were even ruder.”

 

 

“I agree, I was,” he held his hand up in mock-surrender, “but you caught my attention. I needed someone rebellious by going against me, funny with their own joke, and could charm anyone they want.”

 

 

“Wow, you sound like you were on a quest to find a damsel in distress.”

 

 

“You are my princess, now. But it was that morning innocence that got me hooked first. You’re all talk and no play. I don’t believe that you’ve had that many experiences. Your reactions against my action spoke louder than words.”

 

 

“How did you know I wasn’t faking them?”

 

 

“I’ve been in business for quite a while now. Even when Suji wanted Soohyun hyung, I knew. Then, my mother likes you more than me, even when I haven’t met her for quite a while. And you never really questioned anything, but only shadow yourself with your insecurities that you shouldn’t even have.”

 

 

“I’ve grown up not to expect anything, Jinyoung.”

 

 

“I know, but listen, please. You showed your affection with actions, and not words. When I told you about the newlyweds, you didn’t question me and just pulled me right there and then in the crowd. I was supposedly angry at the wedding, wanted to shove hyung’s face into that amazing vanilla ice cream cake, and trip Suji in her 4’’ designer heels. But I felt no anger whatsoever. With you there, I was happy. And the night, I’m not saying I’m deprived, but I just thought, with you, it’s more than enough. You even dared to run away from me. I just had to do something for you to come back to me. I guess, here we are right now.”

 

 

“I guess so.”

 

 

“Mark, I know this might sound crazy, but I honestly like you. I don’t care if you’re an illegal immigrant, I’ll make you legal. Or even if you work at the diner, or you have a grudge against your own mother, or you dropped out of college. I still like you. It hurt me when you left, between work and you; I wanted to go to you even more than you think. I just thought I should give you some space before I tell you how I feel.”

 

 

“I don’t know, Jinyoung. Your mother might like me, but she doesn’t know that we lied to her. I work at a diner, not some about-to-grad journalist.”

 

 

“Then, we’ll tell her the truth before she breaks us up. Mother would be okay as long as we’re sincere. I’ll get you to the best university. You’re smart; you’ll graduate the top of your class.”

 

 

“No, why would you do that? I’ll do that for myself. I dropped out, it’s my responsibility to get back on my own feet. I’m not even that smart, okay.”

 

 

“Okay, second top, fine by me then.”

 

 

“There’s also the fact that I owe people a lot of money.”

 

 

“Money is not a problem. You did it for your mother. You still love her, no matter what she has done to you.”

 

 

“That’s crap.”

 

 

“Fear of success, fear of relationship, you’ve got to forget them.”

 

 

“I’m poor, Jinyoung, the only sane thing I could think of is to survive the next day. And how do you expect me to express my love, when I’ve never felt it?!”

 

 

Jinyoung looked to his side to see Mark in tears. The ever sarcastic, whimsical Mark was crying. Maybe Jinyoung hit places he shouldn’t have. He pushed the table aside, slid himself over, and embraced Mark.

 

 

“Hey, hey, I’m sorry, okay? Mark, I only –”

 

 

“I know you meant well. It’s just that you’re right. Ugh, and why am I crying? Get off me, I have snot.”

 

 

“Snot me all over if that makes you feel better.”

 

 

And it made Mark laugh in between his muffled sobs. When Jinyoung didn’t let go, Mark tightened their embrace.

 

 

“You’re an idiot, Park Jinyoung. That makes me fall for you even more.”

 

 

There was a harsh push from Jinyoung when he separated them at an arm’s length, both hands clasped on Mark’s shoulders. “Did you just say what I think you just said?”

 

 

“Yes, Park Jinyoung, yes.”

 

 

“Mark hyung, can I kiss you?”

 

 

“Of all the time we were together, you only call me hyung when you want something?”

 

 

“No, it was common courtesy. I could have just done it without asking.”

 

 

“You’re an idiot, Jinyoung.”

 

 

“An idiot for you, hyung.”

 

 

“Now shut up and kiss me, idiot.”

 


I'm sorry if anyone is offended by my description on the Bukcheon at Hahoe Village. I tried. The Grandfather's Room is actually an exclusive room used for Prime Ministers and even Ambassadors. Do not believe in whatever lie I'm telling you gais about JinMark staying in that said room. This is un-beta-ed, and will forever be. I need sleep. I'm sorry for the late update. Was busy prepping for game, oh wait it's a boring story of my life. I shall not talk about it here. Tis very long filler crap, and too long of an A/N I need sleep sorry super late update I'm too rusty already