trust in the president

Bus, Bike, Train

A/N: Hey! Sorry it's been a while. It's busy. It'll be a while (at least two week at my best estimate, but probably much longer) for the next one as well. Again, it's a busy, busy time. Sometimes, I'll write to relieve a little stress, though. As always, comments are highly appriciated. (The plot is a mess I'm still trying to sort out so speculate away!!) I'm sorry for any brutal OOCness that occurs for characters, major or minor. T-T

 


 

“I agreed to play the piano for the choir competition,” Soojung says, tapping the back of her mechanical pencil idly against her desk. The sound isn’t quite loud enough to be annoying. If it is, the rest of the class can’t seem to hear it. To Seulgi, it’s like the steady click of Soojung’s bicycle chain when she pushes her bike along the hill, halfway up, if and when they coincidentally run into each other. It’s that specific because Seulgi’s also noticed it makes a slightly different click when they go down the hill. Maybe something to do with the gear setting Soojung leaves it on. “Jiyoung was pretty convincing.” 

 

“Oh,” Seulgi says. “Is that something you want to do? You shouldn’t get strong armed into things by Jiyoung.”

 

“I think it was the best decision for everyone,” Soojung says and then mumbles something, maybe about her bike but Seulgi’s own thought might be causing a bias there.

 

“As long as you’re okay with it…”

 

Soojung offers a smile and shrugs. “I’m not a very good singer anyway.”

 

“Can you hold a tune?”

 

“Sort of?”

 

“I’m sure you would have been fine. It’s not as big a deal as Jiyoung makes it out to be. Jiyoung’s just a little over-competitive.”

 

“I don’t mind competitive. Besides, I met Yookyung too,” Soojung says. “She seems nice. I don’t mind playing the piano anyway so I think it’s better if she gets to sing like she wants. Though I’m surprised Wendy doesn’t play piano too. She seems like the type.”

 

“Hmm, I think she does,” Seulgi replies. “I wouldn’t be surprised if she did. But she’s big on the singing anyway and if Jiyoung’s all gung-ho about winning the choir competition she’ll probably be wanting to keep Seungwan to hit the high notes or something.”

 

Soojung tilts her head, staring intently. It takes a second for Seulgi to register she’s not looking at something interesting behind her, but at her.

 

“What? Do I have something on my face?”

 

“You should drink a lot of water,” Soojung says. “Stay hydrated. And get enough sleep.”

 

“Wow, you really  nag.”

 

“I’m just saying,” Soojung says.

 

“What’s bringing this on?”

 

“I just think people should take care of themselves.” Just as quickly as she started the topic, she drops it, and her tense expression fades back into that neutral look of not-quite disdain. 

 

(Soojung’s default expression is cute but also kind of unfortunate. If people realised how weird she actually was, maybe they wouldn’t fuss so much over her pretty looks. Seulgi’s not sure why it matters or even if it bothers her, but the thought just runs into her head and she’s not motivated enough to try and curt them out.)

 

“I’m happy for Yookyung, anyway,” Seulgi says. “If you’re okay with playing the piano, then it’s good that she can sing like she wants.”

 

Soojung nods.

 

Seulgi swallows and continues, “She had some trouble at the start of school. Getting along with everyone else, I mean. So it’s good she can do something to get along. Even if it’s with Jiyoung.” 

 

“Jiyoung’s not that bad,” Soojung says. She twirls the pencil in her hand around absently now. It does little helicopter spins, balanced on the tips of her fingers, without ever even daring to think about wobbling. Soojung’s coordination must just be on that level. “Things are just a little complicated.”

 

“I’m not saying people can’t change.” Seulgi crosses her arms tight against her chest. “She just can’t pretend what happened didn’t happen.”

 

“Why was Yookyung having problems anyway?” Soojung says.

 

“Yookyung started school early, so she’s about a year younger than all of us,” Seulgi explains. “Since her family’s well-off, some people accused her of trying to show off too. You know, taking advantage of the system or whatever. I don’t even know. It was all super weird but people will find any reason they can to do this kind of stuff.”

 

“Oh,” Soojung says. 

 

“I mean, it’s not a good reason, but I think people were all trying to get used to the zero freedom or fun that comes with these long hours in high school and the stress of everything. Yookyung was just the most convenient thing around after she accidentally got off with people on the wrong foot. Then it was just— It’s not even— Whatever or whoever it was didn’t matter. It was bad luck that she ended up a target and then they just made up whatever to justify how they were acting.”

 

Soojung frowns.

 

Seulgi hastily tries to continue. “Seungwan sorted it out.” 

 

Soojung’s expression lightens a little. “As expected of her, I guess.” 

 

“It took her a bit to get to, though. Since we’re 94 liners, early or not and— No, actually. Just because it was wrong what they were doing. So it’s good now. But maybe it didn’t get fixed fast enough. I feel bad about that.” Seulgi takes in a deep breath. “Yookyung should get along with the rest of the class. Maybe Jiyoung’s trying to apologise.”

 

Soojung goes quiet and her eyes flicker, distant, out the window as she thinks. Soojung’s neutral expression is more than a little cold. Seulgi knows better than to think she’s actually mad and someone, but she doesn’t know well enough to be able to guess what Soojung’s thinking.

 

“When’s Yookyung’s birthday anyway?”

 

“September, I think. Late September? Why?”

 

“I should get something for her.”

 

Again, Seulgi goes, “Why?” Soojung shrugs and slumps down over her desk, rubbing her eyes. It’s not that late in the day, but it rained all morning and the foggy, cool grey that the clouds dyed the sky makes all the light that manages to filter into the room oddly soothing as it bleeds into the cold overhead florescent bulbs. Maybe it’s just sad and tiring. But Seulgi thinks the grey is pretty enough. Is she weird like that. 

 

Soojung doesn’t reply. 

 

Seulgi tries, “It’s not for a while. And not being stuck playing the piano is probably a present in itself.”

 

Soojung shrugs again. Seulgi’s not sure even she knows what she’s thinking. “Just a feeling.”

 


 

“What’re you so excited about?”

 

Seungwan slips the stack of papers behind her back at once. They must be held together wit some sort of a binder clip because, despite how quick she flicked them out of Seulgi’s line of vision, none of them are floating through the air or slipping down to the floor. 

 

It’s a rare that Seungwan pays attention to details like that, but it’s probably a sign for the better if she’s become a more attentive person. People are supposed to get better like that, aren’t they? Lately, Seulgi’s just felt sort of stuck. At least Seungwan is going somewhere. Sort of.

 

Seungwan grins, hands still tucked neatly behind her back. The knot of her uniform’s tie is pulled square and evenly right up to her collar. It’s not quite warm yet, but it seems too uncomfortable. Looks nice, though. “Guess.”

 

“It’s not illegal, is it?” Self-conscious about looking like a total slob, Seulgi’s hands reach up to her own collar to try and straighten it out. There’s not hope about trying to move the tie knot up now, though. She wishes the school would have just gone ahead and switched to the bows, even if it mean she’d have to learn to tie a different knot.

 

“Why would I be doing something illegal?”

 

“Something that’s going to get us in trouble if we’re not careful?”

 

“Hey, Kang Seulgi, just what kind of person do you think I am?”

 

Seulgi shoots her a cheeky grin. “I don’t really know. Could be anything.”

 

Seungwan’s cheeks puff out with a hot, angry cloud of air and she pouts. “You know me just fine. Now hurry up and guess?”

 

“It seems like something suspicious.”

 

“Why would it be suspicious?”

 

“You’re hiding stuff so…”

 

Seungwan rolls her eyes and smiles brightly again. “That’s because I’m building the suspense.”

 

“That’s weird.”

 

“You’re weird.”

 

“Weirder.”

 

“Whatever. Stop trying to not guess.”

 

“I really can’t, though.” Seulgi tries to lean to the side to take a peek at what’s behind Seungwan. The other girl is just guarding too well, because she swivels out of the way and taps Seulgi on the nose, admonishing.

 

“I said guess.”

 

“Now you’re just making me nervous. How can I trust someone who’s so violent?”

 

“I barely touched you!”

 

“It must have taken a lot of restraint. I still remember when you just went for Soojung’s ribs the other day. That was brutal.”

 

“Soojung dodged!”

 

“And you tried to play dirty by going for me instead. How can I trust that kind of person.”

 

“You can totally trust me,” Seungwan says in an over-offended tone. Her eyebrows rise behind her bangs and she puts a hand on her heart, feigning hurt. Her other hand still manages to support the weight of whatever’s being hidden. Still no luck there.

 

Seulgi drawls, “Really?”

 

“You’ve got to trust in your class president. Repeat after me ‘trust in the president’.”

 

“You’re class president?” Seulgi says blandly. 

 

“Naturally I am,” Seungwan says. “Why do you think everyone’s always talking to me.”

 

“Because you’re just likeable?” Seulgi tries. 

 

Seungwan’s ever-present smile falters for a second as she turns away and scratches her nose, hand covering most of her face, cheeks included. She recovers quickly enough. It figures Seungwan would have such a strong reaction to a nose itch. There’s really no reason to be embarrassed about it. 

 

“Hahaha,” Seungwan laughs, a little stiff. “No, it’s just the authority of a class president, don’t you know?” 

 

“I guess I should just try and pay more attention to things around me,” Seulgi says.

 

“You should.” Seungwan scrunches up her nose but her face relaxes soon after. 

 

Seulgi doesn’t think it matters. She looks good whatever weird expression she makes.

 

“Are you okay?” Seungwan says.

 

“Me?” Seulgi points at herself. “I’m fine.”

 

“You’ve just seemed kind of…” Seungwan trails off. “You’re a little out of it.”

 

“I’m fine,” Seulgi repeats. “It’s nothing.”

 

“Are you fine or is it nothing?” Seungwan says. “Because it doesn’t seem like it can be both.”

 

“Isn’t it naturally going to be both? Because if it’s nothing, then I’m fine.”

 

“It works that way but not backwards,” Seungwan says patiently. She rests her head on both of her hands, elbows propped up on the table, chin cupped neatly between her palms. “People who have to say it’s nothing to prove their fine aren’t usually fine.”

 

“Really, it’s nothing. I’m fine,” Seulgi insists.

 

“You better not be coming down with a cold, Seulgi-bear.”

 

“That nickname again,” Seulgi groans.

 

“Oh, come on.” Seungwan jabs her in the arm. “You can pretend to be as cool as you like in front of everyone else.  Know you’re a loser, though.”

 

“Plenty of people know I’m a loser.”

 

“Yeah, but they think it in the endearing way.”

 

“Are you saying your aren’t endeared by my personality?” 

 

“I never said I wasn’t.”

 

Seulgi looks up from her crumpled heap on top of the desk. The corner of Seungwan’s mouth is turned up into a reluctant smile different from her usual, like she’s trying not to look quite so happy. Seulgi can’t really think why that’s the case.

 

She makes the mistake of meeting Seungwan’s eyes, shiny and sparkling and b with some sort of anticipation so she bites and takes the bait. There’s no point pretending. She’s always been a er for Seungwan’s pretty eyes.

 

“Why’s it so important that I don’t catch a cold anyway?”

 

“I know you’re pretty lazy these days but you’re decent at sports,” Seungwan says. 

 

Oh no.

 

Seungwan reaches for her pile of papers and pulls the appropriate one from it with glee and a smile that shows teeth and gum unapologetically. The corner of her eyes crinkle.

 

She holds up the poster and grins.

 

Sports day.